Home school debate reignited

• Sara
    Feb. 11, 2008 1:15 p.m.

"You HAVE A CHOICE and I support that. Then "WHY" don't you support opur choice. We send our kids to the public school for intergration skills into society. That is one reason we do it. The oppurtunity to participate in EXTRAcurricular PUBLIC SCHOOL activities is a PERK for being in the PUBLIC SCHOOL."

Why don't you Public School people stop lying to yourself. You could homeschool if you wanted to, but you don't want to take care of your kids so you get someone else to do it for you. I pay taxes to the school system too and I should be able to allow my children to participate in the fun stuff since they work so hard.

I wish I could keep my kids from the PS system, but my money is worth something. Maybe I should stop paying taxes to keep the schools up and then they can get run down, but then all the Public school parents will complain that us Homeschool parents are cheating the system. Who wants to have SOCIETY teach their kids anyway? Is that a GOOD thing? Hardly!

Feb. 10, 2008 2:53 p.m.

Is just mad that the mero talent didn't go to their school and it went to Ours!!!!!!! Go Jordan, beet brighton...... Paul is the man too!!!!

Feb. 9, 2008 5:54 p.m.

Dear Jenks, I am telling you what the law is...and it is not the same for public school teachers and administrators who "fail" to educate their students.

BTW, all state income taxes in Utah go to education...as do most of my property taxes. I am not asking for them back, only making a stern point that it's not me and mine who are trying to have things "both ways."

Perhaps one day we can test your theory about the public school establishment not caring if home school families didn't pay state income taxes to support public education. My hunch is that you are dead wrong. They would pitch a fit.

Alas, because I do not suffer from low self-esteem, being a minority is no burden and I (we) welcome our modest relationship with you oh-so-numerous and self-assured neighbors. You all make us better people for knowing you!

• Jenks
    Feb. 9, 2008 3:25 p.m.

Ok Mr. Mero, do you really believe with our overcroweded prisons, that a judge would send you to jail instead of maybe a fine or probation? I don't think so...
    Also you pay taxes, yeah, so does everyone else. Not all of that goes to education you know. And I would gladly give you your money back if I could. You are in such a minority, it wouldn't effect us much if any.

Feb. 8, 2008 9:49 p.m.

Dear Jenks, with all due respect (seriously), I am not sure I owe you (a stranger) any explanation as to why we have home schooled for 20 years.

On your first point, I do not doubt that some public school folks get in trouble when they mess up and it becomes public. But I can guarantee that NO ONE in the public school system will go to jail for failing to educate a child "successfully" (i.e. up to some arbitrary standard). But we home schoolers certainly would. What don't you understand about the reality that we actually are required to sign an affidavit that we are doing such and such to educate our children in the "approved" manner? Does ANY public school official have to do anything like that or face any penalty like that? No.

If you don't want us home school folks involved in your public (community?) schools, then the least you could do is to be courteous enough to give us our thousands of dollars back that we willingly give to you folks each year to subsidize the education of your kids.

Otherwise, why not relax, be inclusive, and learn to live in peace with educational freedom?

• Jenks
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:00 p.m.

Now there Mr. Mero is where you are dead wrong. How do you define personal repercussions? I have personally been involved in the public schools for many years and have seen fines, suspensions and even the loss of one's job, not to mention public humiliation because it is publicized in the papers courtesy of the UHSAA. I consider those personal repercussions.

Interesting you bring up a culture of distrust. Why aren't your kids in public schools? Seems as if you are the one creating the culture of distrust regarding the public schools.

Feb. 8, 2008 1:30 p.m.

Dear Jenks, those administrators over teachers don't seem to make too much of a difference when cheating is the objective. And, no, they don't suffer personal repercussions, especially not like we would (i.e. jail for perjury).

I don't "fear" anything in this regard. Fear isn't an issue. Trust, respect, equity...those are the issues. As I mentioned, while I still think it would promote a culture of distrust, why not apply third-party verification to ALL student athletes? If everyone is innocent...right?

I know human nature and how we view our own children but there is a difference between patience with a real live human being (student) and living within a culture of distrust that presumes guilt instead of innocence. In fact, as I mentioned, the whole working premise of UHSAA is guilty until proven innocent. They incessantly remind me..."you're so naive" about how people are cheaters.

What kind of community do you want to live in? Try putting yourself in the shoes of home school parents and then maybe you can begin to understand how all of this distrust (and presumption of guilt and attitude of second-class citizen) would make you feel.

• Jenks
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:14 p.m.

Mr. Mero, Thank you for the response, however I still feel the same way. The public schools have administrators over those teachers to make sure they are not dishonest. Do you really think that they wouldn't suffer any repercussions? They would suffer severe consequences for being dishonest. Of course people of human, but that's why there are people over the teachers to closely monitor that. You say it creates a culture of distrust, but Mr. Mero if you are being truly honest, then what's to fear if a third party verifies that a child is eligible? Finally, let's be honest Mr. Mero, you don't think that if a child is being home schooled by their parent and they don't have to verify eligibility by another party, they wouldn't EVER stretch the truth of their own child's eligibility?

Feb. 8, 2008 11:54 a.m.

To the comment board monitor:

I posted an earlier response to two of the previous comments earlier (i.e. "Thanks Paul" and "Re: Paul Mero") and I still do not see it posted. Is there a problem?

Feb. 8, 2008 11:57 a.m.

Dear Jenks, current state law about home schooling establishes a trust in parents to do so. The check that is in place is a signed affidavit, with the threat of jail for perjury, if the family is not living up to the law.

SB 37 follows current law and places this same trust in parents.

The main point of contention is trust in parents and respect for parental rights. For our student athletes we do submit grades based on subject matter according to law.

The UHSAA alternative is to require third party verification for home school academic work. This represents the opposite of current law and promotes a culture of distrust. For instance, our family does not question public school officials who determine eligibility for public school teammates of our boys...even though we know people are human. We prefer to live within a culture of trust. The UHSAA hates that concept and in fact makes its money (as a private organization) based on a culture of distrust.

One solution we have floated is to include ALL student athletes in third-party verification procedures and not just home school students...again, if everyone is dishonest then why not include everyone?

• Jenks
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:17 a.m.

Mr. Mero, the concern that I have is the validity of declaring a home school kid eligible if they aren't held to the same standard as a kid in public school. What if a kid is declared ineligible by the public school, and his place is taken by the home schooled child declared eligible by a different standard? Now whether the home school child was held to a higher standard or lower standard, how would we know? Do you realize some of the problems that may arise from this? In a prior post you say that there have been cheaters in public school, likewise there will be cheaters in home school. I just think there needs to be a way to hold the home schooled kids to the same standard as the public school kid in determining eligibility. I just don't feel that it's verifiable that if a parent or whoever is doing the home schooling can just say "yes, they are eligible." Again, I'm NOT saying the home school education is inferior to public school.

• RE: Paul Mero
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:25 a.m.

If extracurricular is for all kids then why is it being debated by the UHSAA...

"It simply gives an advantage to one group of students that we don't give to other students," said Van Wagoner. "Every other student has their school work evaluated by a third party ... It's hard to persuade these people that parents won't be objective."

I am sure you are a rare parent who takes accountability of your kids, and thank you Jordan coach for giving his mark of approval, but again your missing the point.

Public school kids are being punished because you are taking your kids out and bringing them back to bump someone vested in the public school athletics. This isn't the stock exchange, you can't just trade and sell your kids to schools when you feel needed and get compensation over another student who is vested in the school. I agree with RE: Sara..
    I support your sacrifice....but make it a sacrifice of the PUBLIC SCHOOL system if that is your desire. Don't pick and choose what you can and cannot provide.

• Thanks Paul.....
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:17 a.m.

For showing us that you are already participating and that 15 years ago the leg mad it possible.

Quit wasting more tax dollars and time passing something that obviously is happening already!!!

Feb. 7, 2008 9:56 p.m.

Dear Manny, that is about the most narrow-minded comment I think I have ever heard...and I am sure you are not really that sort of person. Think about what you are saying.

BTW, current state law, current State Board of Education rules, and even curent UHSAA by-laws are all on our side. Meaning...the prejudice you express (but I am sure you don't really believe) is a retort to an argument settled by our Legislature nearly 15 years ago.

So, "like it or not, extracurricular activities are for [ALL] kids...." Period.

• Manny
    Feb. 7, 2008 9:14 p.m.

Mr. Mero you DO want your cake and eat it too. You don't want the public school instruction, but you do want to take part in extracurricular activities provided by that school. Like it or not, extra curricular activities are for those kids that ATTEND that school. Life is about making choices, and if you make that choice that you don't want your kid in public school please recognize that you do give up that privilege of participating in extra curricular activities provided by that public school.

• JHS Coach
    Feb. 7, 2008 7:23 p.m.

As a basketball coach at Jordan High, I have the privilege of working with two of the Mero boys every single day. They are two of the finest young men that I have ever been around, and I am glad that I get the opportunity to coach them. That being said, one thing that bothers me about the comments I see on here is that many of you believe that home schooled kids get a "free ride" on their report card as they "sit home and play video games" all day long. Wrong! Each term I receive a report card for each of the Mero boys. I can assure you that, at least in the Mero's case, the boys are graded based on their academic performances in each subject area. I for one am glad that Jordan High School allows these boys to participate, and I believe that the athletic experiences (both good and bad) will help to shape these young men as they enter their adult lives. I view that as a big positive.

Quit being so narrow minded! Besides, athletics is considered to be extracurricular. Is it not?

Feb. 7, 2008 7:14 p.m.

Dear Manny, it is even simpler...we're citizens too.

• Manny
    Feb. 7, 2008 6:10 p.m.

Mr. Mero it is simple. You want your cake and eat it too.

Feb. 7, 2008 5:25 p.m.

Here is the problem for all of the commentators who ask home schoolers to "pick their poison" or stick with one thing: we home schoolers pay taxes that subsidize your public school kids. What do you do for us? Let us live in liberty? Gee, thanks.

I have been amazed at the narrow-mindedness of some of you public school folks. Generally, public schooling has been invoked as THE "American Way" to bring everyone together and then, when we home schoolers want to take you up on that offer, you shun us.

This is duplicity at least and subtle and not-so-subtle forms of bigotry at most.

• One on One
    Feb. 7, 2008 4:31 p.m.

OK, so if you homeschool your children for One on One attention, why do you need your children to be in sports? That is 5 on 5, or 11 on 11, and so on. Play your child one on one in the back yard, and stop the double standard.

• RE: Sara
    Feb. 7, 2008 4:20 p.m.

So you don't think that you are "better than a public school parent", but you are persecuted because you "sacrifice for something better."

I support your sacrifice....but make it a sacrifice of the PUBLIC SCHOOL sytem if that is your desire. Don't pick and choose what you can and cannot provide.

• Sara
    Feb. 7, 2008 3:18 p.m.

No one who home school their kids think that they are better than a public school parent. We just feel that our kids can succeed better if they have one on one attention. Who best to educate their child than the parents. We know them the best and we know their needs. Anyone who thinks that their is no cheating the system in the public school system are fooling themselves. How many grades are changed so that their all-star child can participate in the sporting programs? We have all heard stories like these. Please stop making home school parents out to be the bad guys. We sacrifice our time and financial resources for the greater good. We pay taxes just like the rest. We aren't catered to by any sense of the word. Instead we are persecuted because we sacrifice for something better.

• KG to Home Schoolers
    Feb. 7, 2008 2:45 p.m.

I have a problem with this. First of all, I have been associated with both successful home school situations, as well as terrible failures. Some students maintain pace with schools, and many exceed learning rates of pubic schools. However, a majority of those with which I have been associated failed the students terribly. They are not able to interact socially and academically.
    But to the matter at hand, why should the parents whose children are too good for public school classrooms be allowed to participate on the court, mat, or field? To me, the decision is simple: pick your poison. Deal with both the pitfalls and excellence of public education, or deal with the same of home school. I think it goes hand in hand with private schools also; they should not be treated equally to public schools. If students want to participate in public schools activities and sports, they must be part of public school. Simple as that. So much of education doesn't come from a book, but from life experiences that cannot be duplicated at home, and in many private school situations. Mommy and Daddy try to manipulate education and learning and fail their children miserably.

• Re: Paul Mero
    Feb. 7, 2008 11:46 a.m.

What about jobs Paul? Does is outweigh that too? Sounds like cynicism to me. Hopefully you are not going to use the UEA as your punchline....pro-voucher slandered the UEA saying that they were the directive behind not wanting to pass the referendum. Don't use them now. The attitude is that there are too many loopholes for your ideals. You want what is best for you kids....simple cynicism because there is no inclusion of "other" to that which is around you other than your kids success. Sounds like model parenting to an extend or is it just misrepresentation? I love conservatism.

Feb. 7, 2008 11:26 a.m.

To "Re:Paul Mero"...the state taxes I pay far outweigh the lose of a WPU. By us being self-reliant in education we reduce, not add, a burden to the public school system. Your "zero sum game" approach is the attitude of exclusiveness that drives negative feelings about the public school system. SB 37 is an inclusive bill that unites, not divides, our communities.

As far as "a right" I can point to many public school advocates who believe this...I am sure you can find it on the UEA web site for instance. The "rights" language is the basis for their defense of a system over the welfare of ALL school-age children.

• A little understanding
    Feb. 7, 2008 8:04 a.m.

Why do people homeschool? While I can't speak for everyone, for myself and most families that I know personally, the reason is simply TIME. I found it difficult to do all the "other stuff" when my children didn't get home from school until 4pm. I find homeschooling to be very efficient. We have time for reading, writing and arithmetic while participating in science, history and book clubs. This still leaves us time to do scouts, music lessons, sports, adult skills and maintain strong relationships. My children love it because they have more time and choice. They actually choose to read 2-3 hours each day and my son has time to write his book. Homeschooling is not an all or nothing choice, because Utah already has a dual enrollment law. This law allows students to attend their local school part-time while still being enrolled in a home school, trade school, online classes and/or the Utah Online High School. In this information age, many are realizing that time in a seat is not the only valid educational option.

• no battle
    Feb. 6, 2008 10:34 p.m.

nothing to battle about here... school sports and school activities include the key word "school" .... If you want your kids to participate on the school team then they clearly should be enrolled in that school... Its audacious to cry discrimination and unfairness when you choose not to participate... how is it fair to kids who actually attend a real school... all kids should be accountible to the same standards and should have the same school experience.
    Home schoolers can have sock and pillow fights for extracuricular activities .... Get real people

• idiocy
    Feb. 6, 2008 10:31 p.m.

Where does one get off thinking their home schooled kid should be allowed to participate in school activities...

Feb. 6, 2008 9:44 p.m.

And to "Jordan Man"...you're a stud. You might be right...maybe all of these distrustful people are really afraid of what will happen next year at the state tournament!!

But why dwell on next year, Jordan Man? Lead us to the promised land now!! :)

Feb. 6, 2008 8:29 p.m.

Dear Smee, the teacher/student relationship in the home is NOT inferior to the teacher/student relationship at a public school. Your questions assume someone is a liar...but why not a "someone" at public school? There are infinitely more examples of PUBLIC school cheaters than any home school family trying to game the system.

There is NO exception in current state law, current State Board rule, or even current UHSAA by-law...an adult of responsibility establishes grades for the student athlete. In a home school that person is parent or guardian. Geez, get over your prejudice.

As home school parents my wife and I have taught our six children for over a span of 20 years. Our four boys will have played for Jordan HS a combined 14 years by the time the youngest is done. Under current law, we live by threat of perjury if we are liars. Public school teachers, coaches, and administrators are under no such threat...and yet are still human and not morally superior. They still move student athletes at times through grades when ineligible. So, again, I ask why single out us?

Answer: pure discrimination, sometimes personal, sometimes systemic. SB 37 solves this problem.

• Smee to Mr. Mero
    Feb. 6, 2008 6:21 p.m.

Mr. Mero, in the public school, eligibility standards are set or influenced by the UHSAA, the school district, and the individual high school. They are in writing and they are measurable. They measure a student's progress academically. Written standards that are measurable can determine eligibility and are valid. Educated opinions by individuals can not be measured and are not valid. How can you have a standard eligibility policy to fit all home school situations? Can we expect all parents or those who teach home school to be honest when they are facing the disappointment and pressure from their child if he or she did not meet the eligibility standard especially if all they have to do is say "yes they are eligible"? Or if they have to show proof of the progress, how is this going to be done in a valid way? In the public school system, the people determining eligibility are not associated with the family. If exceptions are made for home schoolers, what will be the next exception? Adjusting the activities schedule of the school so that it matches that of the home schooled child? Please address these questions Mr. Mero.

• Power Hungry
    Feb. 6, 2008 6:09 p.m.

Madsen is consumed with his hunger for power. This insanity needs to stop now before our prep sports are flushed down his sewer. Please contact you legislator and ask her/him to keep the academic accountability on a fair and equitable playing field. Student athletes must prove GPA eligibility on a quarterly basis per UHSSA requirements. For most coaches they also require their athletes to prove eligibility at midterm checks to show progress.

Feb. 6, 2008 5:32 p.m.

SB 37 prevents "jumpers" (i.e. these purported public school student athletes failing in grades who would be pulled by their dishonest parents into home school). Read the bill. And btw, we closed that loophole because of legislative concerns about dishonest PUBLIC school parents, not home school parents.

I cannot believe, after the voucher rhetoric from public school supporters (who argued that vouchers were dividing our community and not inclusive), all of this divisive "you made your choice now live with it" attitudes. Or that "public school is a privilege"...I have been constantly told by you folks that its a right.

The UHSAA is simply wrong. They are a private organization (with the power of a "state actor")worried about their money and their turf. Plain and simple. SB 37 is about freedom and opportunity and community and inclusiveness for ALL student athletes.

Where does all of this hate and discrimination over home schoolers come from? And why? We actually subsidize YOUR child's public school experience, as well as pay for our own.

The Jordan School District is a model of welcoming and appreciation for EVERY student. SB 37 simply extends the same ethos across all school districts.

• honey comb
    Feb. 6, 2008 1:00 p.m.

Public schools are a privilege........again....public schools are a privilege. The privileges are also what comes with attending public schools. I am so tired of hearing the tax answer thrown at the public schools that entitles a home schooled individual. The parents made the choice....it's like having a kid quit a team and the team wins a state championship and he is supposed to be entitled to a ring? He made the choice just like parents made the choice. Privilege. I am glad the UHSAA is nipping this issue because I would hate to have to have to explain to a parent why their kid, who was vested in the public school and the system (academic and athletic), that their kid was being bumped by homeschooler who does not have to abide by the same academic standards. Of course we would know those standards if Madsen wouldn't have implemented the bill that took away accountability of the schools. He must be crazy to think there will be "no fraud" committed by signing a piece of paper. Are we that naive? Ask the teachers what they see, that is where facts are revealed. Go UHSAA.

• RE: To Spike
    Feb. 6, 2008 12:27 p.m.

Like I said above....your choice. Play on the home school team and make daddy proud!!! You have a CHOICE. MAKE IT!!!

• Hawn
    Feb. 6, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Wait Spike, I live here in Orem. Aren't the schools athletic teams here called Mt. View high Bruins Baseball, Orem High Tigers Basketball, Timpanogos High Football. It means those teams are represented of kids attending THAT school. Since when did it become Orem High community basketball or Mt. View community baseball?

• Spike
    Feb. 6, 2008 11:36 a.m.

Do not homeschool parents pay the same taxes as those that go to public school? It is PUBLIC SCHOOL which means it is for everybody and as such homeschoolers have just as much right to play on the school teams as anyone else. Obviously the homeschoolers are a huge problem and we need to deal with them. Get Real!

• Chaos
    Feb. 6, 2008 10:27 a.m.

Are we ready for chaos in high school sports? If Madsen and Mero have their way, club teams will replace high school teams and all of those decades of school spirit and unity will go right out the window. If you are a true prep spots fan, call your legislator today and put an end to this now.

• jordan man
    Feb. 6, 2008 10:14 a.m.

Regardless of the situation evan and joe mero are going to dominate high school basketball next year!! Paul Mero is one of the best men i know, obviously way more mature than the rest of the people that wrote on this blog.. Hang in there paul you still the man!!!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 6, 2008 9:51 a.m.

Parents in Utah County who have children enrolled in our public schools need to get involved and let your legislators know that we do not need them to be a "super school board," or a "super UHSAA." Sen. Madsen's distrust of our public schools and our teachers is frightening. If you are concerned about Mr. Mero, you should check out the Southerland Institute and their position on education, "government schools, etc. Mr. Mero actually thinks our public school system should be done away with so that our children don't come under the evil influence of our public school teachers and their liberal and anti-family views. If you check closely, I think you would find that almost all of the legislators from Utah County have aligned with this radical organization. The real scary part of this whole story is that we just keep re-electing these right wing radicals to represent us in the legislature. That said, we deserve exactly what we are receiving from our public servants. If you are concerned, how about making a few calls to your legislator?

• Why is This an Issue???
    Feb. 6, 2008 9:47 a.m.

If you choose to home school, play on the "home school" team. If you choose a public school, play on the public school team. Parents you have a choice!!!

I understand why people home school. They have valid reasons and it is their choice. But if the public educations system is not good enough to educate your child, don't ask to participate in the "extra" curriular part.

• Rick
    Feb. 6, 2008 9:44 a.m.

Madsen would have us believe that the UHSAA is some mysterious body.
    A little education:
    The UHSAA has an office staff of 4 to run day to day operations. It is governed by 2 bodies, the Board of Trustees and the Executive committee.
    The BOT is comprised of School Board members from throughout the state.
    The Executive committee is comprised of Principals sent from Region Boards comprised of every High School Principal throughout the state.
    Who is the UHSAA? They are your own Principal's and Board Members.
    Who are they already accountable to? Every citizen in the state.
    What is their purpose? To keep the playing field fair, and to support academics as a priority.
    Madsen would like to change that to make them accountable only to him. This bill is nothing short of a power move on Madsen's part.

• t_stuke
    Feb. 6, 2008 10:15 a.m.

Play where you live. Even if you take classes at one school and play at another. Enough said.

• Orem
    Feb. 6, 2008 8:53 a.m.

Just to clarify things. Orem didn't get caught doing anything wrong. Orem discovered that a wrong grade had been posted for an athlete, and that if the correct grade had been posted, the athlete would not have been eligible. Once this was discovered the school, on its own, reported the mistake to the UHSAA.
    Does everyone really think a parent would do the same in a home-school situation?
    Not hardly. What they'll do is use this as a way to make their children eligible.

• Naive
    Feb. 6, 2008 8:24 a.m.

"Paul Mero, the director of the Sutherland Institute, spoke on behalf of SB37 and said as a home-school parent, he's offended by the implication that parents would commit a crime in order to make their children athletically eligible."
    This dude is clueless. He has no idea what lengths parents already go to to make sure their kids can play whereever they want. Parents are already stretching every rule they can to get around the spirit of play-where-you-live, so why wouldn't they do the same so their kids can play regardless of grades.

• Dangerous
    Feb. 6, 2008 8:21 a.m.

Madsen is meddling in issues he knows nothing about. If this legislation passes, just open the door to kids playing wherever they want and without any regard to whether they're academically eligible or not. If a kid's not going to pass in school, just home school him and then pass him so he can play. This would be tragic. Who in their right mind voted for this catering-to-special-interest-parents guy anyway.

• MT in MD
    Feb. 6, 2008 8:09 a.m.

J: speaking from my perspective in Montgomery County, MD (according to Newsweek one of the top public school districts in the nation), discrimination against homeschoolers is a plain fact of life. True, there are good schools in our system, which is why Newseek thinks so highly of MCPS. However, once you get outside of the high-rent districts of Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Potomac, school performance is exceedingly uneven. My family lives in the cluster of one of the better high schools, but our elementary school stinks--most of our third graders can't read at a 1st grade level, yet they still get passed on. MCPS has ridiculous standards and expectations that lead to poor performance for most kids whose families can't afford an after-school tutor. Those, like my family, who homeschool still have their property taxes taken to pay for poor-performing schools, yet get nothing for it but two onerous reviews of our entire homeschool program every year. We are more accountable than the schoolteachers are, but get no benefit for what we put into the system: no vouchers to help pay for books, no athletic participation. Creating our own athletic system won't fly--too expensive for facilities. Think about it.

• Dan
    Feb. 6, 2008 8:14 a.m.

The UHSAA plays no favorites. They are an organization set up to make sure we all play by the same rules. Yes Orem played an ineligible player, but they are being punished for it. Just like in all facets of life things slip by or go unnoticed. The nice thing is to know they were caught and they are paying the price. The UHSAA in MY OPINION is just trying to make the playing field level in requiring all students be held to the same standard. That's not to say someone like Mr. Mero is not honest, which he probably is but we all know there are some people out there a.k.a. Joe Dirt who will take advantage of the system because there is no one to question their honesty or integrity. This is why we need an Organization like the UHSAA who is bipartisan to make rulings. It has worked fine for 100 years.

• J
    Feb. 6, 2008 7:56 a.m.

Why do people home school? Bbecasue they want to protect children from the "evil" influences of public school or think they can teach the subjects better at home?

Either case why would they want to have their kids participate in public school activites such as sports. If they are afraid of influences do they think that sports is clean and those influences will not be there? I remember kids sitting in the back of the bus chewing tobaco, sneaking a bottle of vodaka not to mention the locker room talk.

If they think they can teach the subjects better than the teachers why do they not think that they can coach better than the public school coaches. How about forming their own teams.

How about I enroll my kids in a school where I think they will get the best education and then demand that they be allowed to particpate in extra ciricular activites in another district.

In my opinion, home schooling is just like its own district. If they are not enrolled in school they should not be allowed to participate.

Feb. 6, 2008 7:39 a.m.

What don't you understand about discrimnatory behavior and attitudes? I am fine with accountability as long as it applies across the board. In this case, that means for ALL student athletes, not just home school student athletes. I guess you all have selective reading abilities...this same paper just reported that Orem High had to forfeit a b-ball game because one of their boys was mysteriously allowed to play only to discover he was ineligible because of poor grades.

• Joker
    Feb. 6, 2008 7:16 a.m.

A good example of this is a kid I had last year that failed every class he had. He was a real piece of work that even stole the teacher's edition of the Math book, so he could try and cheat his way through that class. The mom home schools him the fourth term. Somehow he suddenly is a 4.0 student and is eligible for football. That is why they need to do away with this bill. If you home school, no high school sports. That simple.

• Craig
    Feb. 6, 2008 5:24 a.m.

UHSAA is way to paranoid and concerned about power.My children all attended and graduated from public schools. A good sports program, student athletes can participate in has become secondary to there desire to control and call names. Rather arrogant to say a parent will not make a proper moral call concerning their children. Perhaps people makeing such remarks are guilty of such and wants to call the kettle black because of their own tarnished character.

• Unaccountable Mero
    Feb. 6, 2008 4:12 a.m.

So Mr. Mero, who wants to make everyone accountable, doesn't want homeschoolers to be accountable? Sounds like he is having a crisis of principles!

• Huh
    Feb. 6, 2008 4:09 a.m.

Well why don't we just let parents start giving all the kids grades? Maybe that would satisfy Mr. Mero. I'm going to callmy kids teacher today and demand that his B in geometry be made an A because, by golly, I think he earned it, and I'm the parent so I must know what's best for my kid. Really Mr. Mero, maybe the reason other kids are having such a hard time at other schools is because those close to the situation can see that the only thing they are studying is Video Gaming 101. What is so hard about showing the miraculous and outstanding results of the homeschool efort? If it is truly as good as you say it these efforts should withstand a little scrutiny. Quit trying to make homeschoolers unaccountable. I thought Mero was big on accountability.

• Play where you live
    Feb. 6, 2008 12:49 a.m.

Go to a school wherever you want, play where you live. You have to go home some time anyway, and there is plenty of public transport.