Utah's securities chief is resigning under cloud

• Utah Businessman
    Aug. 7, 2008 4:10 p.m.

I've started three businesses in Utah employing hundreds of employees and each time I have asked myself, "Is any success in the world worth the harassment I've experienced from the state of Utah (Securities Division)?" I still wonder!

• Giani-is-bad-for-Utah
    April 7, 2008 6:42 p.m.

I agree with Astounded. It's ridiculous. And yes, audits are a HUGE threat to all government agencies. I can't count the number of times I've been the the DoS and DoC or how many employees I know by first name--they're all incompetent. Worse, some of these inept people are emotional about work and routinely exceed their authority. I've seen it first hand. I hope this audit cooks them all. Anyone know how to get more details on the audit?

• Astounded
    Feb. 14, 2008 3:55 p.m.

WHAT?
    WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Should they only investigate the weak and defenseless? Are audits a threat to the division?

• Lightning Rod
    Feb. 14, 2008 2:56 p.m.

If checking past employment history and character references before hiring employees in such important governmental positions were a pre-requisite, this entire problem could have been prevented. Klein has had problems with the very issues he is now facing in previous positions, in different states. A simple phone call and a reasonable supervisor may understand that if the entire industry and employees and staff in all jobs Klein has held previously have all had problems with him - the problem really could be Klein... It really is a travesty that it takes a legislative session to open eyes.

• Blowing smoke
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Maybe the audit should look into more than just Klein. Maybe they should be looking into Giani's mismanagment of the Division of Securities through Klein. Maybe ask prior employees why they left. You'll get a better picture of what really is going on. The Division of Securities used to be respectable before Giani took over and hired a loose canon. Employees are very disatisfied and are on pins and needles in fear of being fired if they talk. Too bad for all those hard working employees who aren't paid enough to have to deal with this manure.

• Smokescreen
    Feb. 6, 2008 3:41 p.m.

This is not why Wayne Klein resolved. The First Western Case is being used as a smokescreen. The real reason for Mr. Klein's resignation can be found in the legislative audit. The allegations against Mr. Klein are very serious. If the media wants to get the story correct, and blow past the Giani/Klein smokescreen, you should talk to the people involved in the legislative audit and the staff of the division. First Western Advisors has nothing to do with the real reasons for Mr. Klein's resignation.