Utah

President Hinckley funeral scheduled for Saturday

Comments

• Thomas Nelson
    Jan. 31, 2008 1:12 p.m.

In 1973, three months after I was baptised in Kaiserslautern, Germany, In walks the Apostle, Gordon B. Hinckley. People around me had to explain to me who he was... Yep, I shook his hand and said in utter amazement... "Hi I'm seargent Nelson. I had totally forgotten my first name... Ha. I will miss the marvelous uplifting comments of our Beloved Prophet.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 29, 2008 4:56 p.m.

I loved President Hinkley!!! Even though I am only 13 I still felt the spirit when talked. I have seen talks the comments by past prophets, but he was the best prophet I think. Have a great time with your wife President Hinkley and RIP.
    Texas

• Rhonda
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:56 a.m.

Thanks for letting me know when the funeral is gonna take place. I have a question? Is his viewing gonna be telelvised? I am in Alabama and on disability and can't make the trip but would love to see it on BYU. Can you please lt me know by e-mail?

Sincerely,
    Rhonda
    Alabama

• D Jackson, Illinois
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:59 a.m.

The news of his death was relayed to me by a phone call. I could not believe it, and yet I knew it was true. My heart broke. He has been an example of a man filled with the spirit of God and has been a great prophet for our times. I remember in our family prayers we would pray for him to have the strength to do the work he needed to do. I believe that our prayers were answered and he is indeed with the his eternal wife again. I pray that his family and the church family be comforted by our knowledge of the after life. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

• Phillip A and June A Cline
    Jan. 29, 2008 12:26 a.m.

Today is my 65th Birthday. Last night on the 27th at
    9pm PT my adopted son in Ohio, called and we were talking, when his Branch President called him and told him about our Dear Prophet dying. When Todd got
    back on the phone with me and told me, at first I said NO real loud. I did not want this to happen.But, then I talked to my VT partner and she said, now he is with his Sweet Wife. Then I really new it was OK. We will miss him for a long time, but he left the church so much to the better for all he did. I support President Monson and he will do a Great Job too. They are the Lords servants and ours too. Prayers go for the families of both of them. Praise the Lords servants and may his blessings be upon us all. Lets all do as President Hinckley has taught us move foward and Serve with all our Hearts, Minds and Strength. I Love Jesus Christ and his Church. Thank you President Hinckley for your Great Works and You desere your peace and rest now. The Clines, in Oregon

• Elder and Sister Bennett
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:55 p.m.

Thank you President Hinckley, your words always went through me like arrows to my heart. You are a wonderful man and Prophet, Seer, and Revelator. As Senior missionaries my wife and I shall miss you. But we know that you are with your sweet love Marjorie and with all your family and those Prophets who came before you.You were the greatest communicator of all the Prophets that I have known since David O. McKay. Enjoy the Kingdom.You have earned it. Don't worry "Tommy" Monson will take care of business.
    Elder and Sister Bennett, Military Missionaries in Florida

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:48 p.m.

WE WILL NOT SEE HIS LIKES AGAIN. NEVER ONCE DO I REMEMBER HIM TELLING A STORY OR INCIDENCE FROM HIS LIFE FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAKING HIMSELF LOOK GOOD. SELF-AGGRANDIZEMENT WAS NOT HIS STYLE. HIS INCREDIBLE HUMILITY WAS REAL. HE KEPT HIMSELF CENTERED ALWAYS - DESPITE THE ADULATION OF MILLIONS AROUND THE WORLD. HE REALLY MEANT IT WHEN HE TOLD US THAT HIS CALLING IN THE CHURCH WAS NO IMPORTANT THAN THE ONES WE WERE HOLDING AT THE TIME.

• Tom Richins
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:37 p.m.

I shook his hand

• Jam
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:05 p.m.

What an honorable and loving man. Although, I have my differences with the Church, he never ceased to amaze me. May we heed his counsel and strive to be kinder to one another.

What an wonderful, inspirational man!

• Tara M. (Texas)
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:43 p.m.

Thank You for telling us when the funeral will be.

I'm not LDS yet, but my friends who are LDS are happy to know they will be able to view the memorial service for President Gordon B. Hinckley here in Texas at home on their Dish Network TV satellite from the BYU-TV channel on #9403. They've
    invited me to their home to see the service and that's sweet of them.... Thank You in public!

Mr. Hinckley, who I never met, has been an inspiration to me and to many many more as these newspaper articles tell about.

I have seen him in the conference and devotionals on the tv the past couple of years or so and he does show a great enthuiasm for life,
    the Lord Jesus, and just being busy.
    I like his sense of humor.

What a great example of the LDS Church. It was good he could keep up the pace all the way through his 97 years. He probably lived longer than many
    because he stayed busy with all that enthuiasm.

God Bless you all.

• Bodmer Family from Maryland USA
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:47 p.m.

Our heart and prayers go to the Hinckley Family. Five of our family members had the opportunity to see our beloved Prophet in person during Conference, we loved him and enjoyed his sense of humor but most of all his admonitions to be grateful, be smart, be clean, be true, be humble, be prayerful and all the great talks about the gospel and the Church. We are blessed with the great work that he did increasing the amount of temples. Also we have the privilege of having 2 daughters Alexandra and Christina that served the mission on Temple Square and they had the opportunity to see and hear the Prophet too.
    We know he is in a good place, we know he is with his wife and family and friends, we know that he will continue teaching the gospel, and we know that we will see him again someday.
    Thanks President Hinckley!

With love,
    The Bodmer's
    Magda,Ricardo,Alexandra,Christina, Leonardo,Jennie,Adriana,Eduardo,Susan,Rick,Breana, and Ricky.

• Bruce Croxall
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:46 p.m.

President Hinckley was one of the hardest working and kind men who have ever lived. I know he is happy now with his wife. He certainly lived the kind of life we all would want to! I will certainly miss him!!!

• Maria
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:30 p.m.

Presidete Hinckley fue un Profeta del Senor le doy las grasias al senor por tener profetas aqui en la tierra te amamos y siempre vas a estar en nuestro corazon.

• Felix David Hurtado Campos
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:24 p.m.

Estoy agradecido por la bondad y amor del Presidente Gordon B. Hinkley, por su buen ejemplo. Tengo un testimonio personal del profeta,se que es un hombre de Dios, hombre puro de corazn y limpio de los pecados de este mundo. le amo y es mi oracin que Nuestro Padre Celestial consuele a su ejemplar familia.
    En breve tiempo nos veremos en el ms allaen donde los Santos cantan loor al Padre Celestial y al Salvador.

• Georgett Hacienda Heights, CA
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:08 p.m.

President Hinckley is truly happy to be reunited with his wife Marjorie and his other family in Heaven. The world will miss you for all that you did for members and non members. I love the wonderful messages and example you gave us through out your life. I will follow your teaching and be an example in my daily life. I will truly miss you President Hinckley.

• Fam. Ortiz
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:11 p.m.

God Bless Gordon B. Hinckley, a true prophet of God, his great example and sense of humor will preserve him in the hearts of millions of people around th eworld

• Dorothy
    Jan. 28, 2008 9:58 p.m.

Can you just imagine the celebration in Heaven. What a party they are having.

I sure Love President Hinckley. I get tears just reading all the beautiful messages.
    Bless you all

• Julita
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:00 p.m.

I love you and miss you already, but am so happy you are reunited with your beloved Marjorie.

• Jos� Alfredo G�lvez
    Jan. 28, 2008 9:31 p.m.

My family and I sang "Praise to the man"yesterday night, but we couldnt finish singing because we were crying like children who have lost their father. We really love our beloved Prophet, He has been an inspiration in our lives and will be continuoe in our hearts forever, he was a friend, a father an example to follow. God Bless him and his family.

Family Glvez Gil

• Alexander Romero ( Iloilo City )
    Jan. 28, 2008 9:28 p.m.

We really missed you PRESIDENT Hinckley...
    You are Truly a prophet Of God.
    sISTER Hinckley is much happy now to see you in the Spirit World.
    Farewell President.

• Rose Price
    Jan. 28, 2008 9:24 p.m.

I was just a few yards away from President Hinckley in the Celestial Room when he dedicated the Raleigh
    North Carolina Temple in 1998. I love that man and loved his book "Go Forward with Faith." I believe that is what he would say to us now if he could speak to us.

• Peggy Bishop-Ackley
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:51 p.m.

President Hinkley, wow! What can you say about a man that brought me back to full activity? He touched my heart, and always made me glad to be LDS. His smile, whit and charm will be missed. As gentle as he was, he was an inspiration to not only LDS, but to the world. May his family feel the love of all the members of the church at this time, and to them I say, thank you for sharing him with the world.

• Hector
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:40 p.m.

Gracias President Hinckley for all the love that you bestowed upon all the member of the church and to all non members likewise we will miss you but we are happy that you are now reunited with our Heavenly Father and of course with your beloved wife.keep an eye on us from heaven. Thanks you so much.

• Perlita
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:25 p.m.

Loor al profeta !! que nos dio tanto en vida, y nos gratifico con tanta espiritualidad y conocimiento.

• Charli Luerssen, SLC
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:24 p.m.

I first remember hearding President Hinckely speak when I was in the SLC Mission Center (Jun,1972) as both a fairly new convert and a new missionary. He gave a key note speech as an apostle to help prepare us for the mission field. Beyond his his beautiful witness of Jesus Christ, the restored gospel, Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon he gave some very practical advice. He told us if we were assigned to an area with a car we must always get out of the car if we are the passenger and help guide the car whenever the driver is backing up. He said too many Elders were backing into things. He then held up the book The Truth Restore and encourage us to give a copy to every new convert for it gave a brief, but wonderful history of the church. May God always bless this most wonderful spiritual and practical prophet and his family forever.

• Ronald A. Young
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:14 p.m.

The 1st Prophet, I knew of or cared about was Spencer W. Kimball, way before I joined the Church. Has to do with June 1978. When I joined the Church in 1988 Ezra Taft Benson was the Leader. I watched conference for the 1st time in October 1988. I heard Thomas Monson for the 1st time and truely loved him from the start. Next came Howard W. Hunter and I woundered why? He did the spread The Book Of Mormon thing and I was on a Stake Mission so I helped. Shortly it seemed he passed on and President Hinckley became the Leader. He did the Temple Building and The Fund for the Returned Missionarys. Now he has passed on. My family will clear Saturday for the Services. It is not a lock but very likely Thomas Monson will become the Leader. He will bring his own style. I hope he lives long and stays healthy. Each Prophet has brought somthing different to the Leadership Role. Each had his time and his season. It is up to us to follow instructions and be willing and teachable, while not being Lemings. I have Great Love for The Prophets I have known

• Nicole
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:55 p.m.

President Hinckley Was A Good Man

• Mimi
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:54 p.m.

Such a dear man. We can best honor President Hinckley by following his counsel and example.

• MacKenzie
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:51 p.m.

2 words sum him up: forever great

• Mary Jane Fajardo- from Bogota
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:47 p.m.

Recordar al Presidente Hinckley como el Profeta que hizo posible que nos acercramos ms a las bendiciones de la eternidad al hacer posible la construccin de templos pequeos alrededor del mundo. Debemos honrar la memoria de este gran profeta al seguir al Seor y asistir al templo con ms regularidad.

• Tom Brooke
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:33 p.m.

I remember meeting him in Geneva, Swit. in about 1974 while on my mission. During a break in meetings he came out of the chapel to visit with the missionaries. He asked us how we were enjoying our work. He made the comment as to how much he wished he could join us nearly to tears in bearing testimony to the truthfulness of the Restoration. He truly missed being able share the Gospel like the regular missionaries. He was a man that left me feeling that what I was doing was for the Lord. I look forward to seeing him again.

• Roger of Oxnard, CA
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:08 p.m.

President Hinckley, you will be missed. You always had an amazing way with words.

• Chris
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:59 p.m.

Thanks President Hinckley for your dedication to spreading the word of God to all of us. I will forever remember many of the talks you have given and especially the feelings I have felt as I have listened to the word of God from your voice.

• God Bless
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:55 p.m.

God Bless the Hinckley family. I'm sure he and Marjorie will be happy together again.

• Rob Haskins
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:53 p.m.

This is an opportunity for the world to celebrate the life of President Hinkley. My family and I have been blessed by his counsel. I wish we could attend and I hope it will be televised.

• New Zealand
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:52 p.m.

Wish we could be there to experience this, but we will just have to see it all broadcast.

• Matt Connelly
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:36 p.m.

I look forward to the words of the funeral service. Today I was just thinking about how grateful I am for Presiden't Hinckley's life. What a grand legacy he left. I hope it inspires all of us to make something great out of our lives. It's up to us.

Jan. 28, 2008 6:29 p.m.

Thank You for the information....I can't wait to attend and show my respects for a GREAT MAN OF GOD!

OFA ATU OUR DEAR PROPHET

• Ken
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:28 p.m.

His is a life worth remembering. I'll be watching.

• Kissed by the Lord
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:18 p.m.

I can't believe it happened! I know we'll all miss our prophet so much... President Hinckley was a great inspiration to me personally from childhood when I played the piano for him as a 13-yr. old in the home of Robert Cundick, former organist. He said I had been 'kissed by the Lord' -- indicated by way of an odd kiss-like birthmark I've lifelong worn on my forehead and which has always set me apart. The touching remarks & heart-warming encouragement he sent me off with have remained uplifting in musical and life-in-general pursuits. Truly, he was a great man. News of his death shocked me last night and moved me to compose a piece by the above title in his memory.
    Anonymous, age 21

• Screen Age
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:16 p.m.

Wow, that means people from all over the world will be in Utah this weekend.

• Barbara Wilding
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:04 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of our beloved prophet - although, now he is with his sweetheart and the sun will always shine - he was a true leader and an example of humility -

• a. k. zee
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:01 p.m.

President Hinckley was a man endowed with talents and skills that blessed the lives of millions. He practiced what he preached. He will be missed.

• karlee
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:47 p.m.

it is so sad tht he died. =( he'd been the only prophet i knew. :,( it'll be weird having thomas Monson as the new prophet!!

• Hermano de Paraguay
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:49 p.m.

Que Dios te toma en sus brazos para siempre. El mundo se ha cambiado por tu trabajo Presidente Hinckly. Espero el dia en que podemos estar juntos una vez mas.

• Jason