Utah

Romney comments on Hinckley's death

Comments

• Sadie
    Jan. 30, 2008 11:35 p.m.

I don't get it!!! This is for you. You sound just miserable..had to get that over with first! Yes...
    President Hinckley was a seer and a prophet, and knew many more things than you and I do. But he never really got into telling people how to vote or which political party to join. He instead, told people to vote the way they choose, and encouraged them to think well about the leaders they wanted, and who was the best for our government. The advice ...it will be a good experience ,is very true. All the candidates have mentioned how much they have learned from running for president. We do not have to win to learn something do we?

• provojoe
    Jan. 30, 2008 11:31 p.m.

If God doesn't tell us everything that's going to happen, but knows it, is he still God? I should say so.

• Reply: I dont get it!!!
    Jan. 30, 2008 10:40 p.m.

To: I dont get it!!!

You're right. You don't get it.

• I dont get it!!!
    Jan. 30, 2008 8:09 p.m.

He told Mitt that 'It would be a great experience whether you win or you lose'??? I dont get it............. Shouldnt the Prophet KNOW the answer to this in the first place?? Isnt the Prophet a seer?? Which of course brings up a question before everyone on here tells me WHY he doesnt know such things. If a Prophet doesnt know whats going to happen, which seems to be all of them in the past, why are they a Prophet???

• Maysie
    Jan. 30, 2008 8:01 p.m.

President Hinckley was and is a wonderful man, a choice spirit of our father in heaven. How eloquent and natural he is.
    Mitt Romney is not as eloquent, but he tries and is a good man. Many of us think things we don't quite know how to express. It is true that understanding and agreement must come to all the people who listen to Mitt. He says things the way they will accept and understand. Don't be so critical until you walk in his shoes.

• HCS
    Jan. 30, 2008 7:49 p.m.

Ouu love and gratitude to President Hinckley and his family, I know he will continue to work from above in the building of Zion like all the prophets and leaders,as we follow their teachings obeing Our Heavenly Father's commandments,principles and ordenances of the gospel, we'll show our real gratitude to our dear Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley and make him smile,with the assurance that we will do the same with our next President and Prophet,we will continue to be a good example,and each one of us will follow our amazing Plan of Salvation.With humility my thanks and prayers always to him and his family for their sacrifices.

• Steve-Logan, UT
    Jan. 30, 2008 4:39 p.m.

I was disappointed to hear on the news that Jon Huntsman Jr. sent his condolences on Sunday from Florida where he was campaigning for John McCain to beat Mitt Romney. This was the same Huntsman who recently signed on to a bogus global warming initiative, who went back on his campaign promise to help stop illegal immigration, and who supported the defeated voucher proposition. I am ashamed that I was a volunteer in his campaign for governor. What a slimy contrast he presents with Mitt Romney and Pres. Hinckley. I'll bet his dad is secretly embarassed by the vain ambitions of his son.

• Lauri - Dallas, TX
    Jan. 30, 2008 3:17 p.m.

I don't know if the Mitt Romney quote is correctly quoted, but I agree that if Mitt could be as eloquent as our beloved Prophet, he would have an easier time...or perhaps be more voraciously misquoted! Remember that President Hinckley said that it is by the lives of our members that the Church is to be known. So if we want to support Mitt, or each other, for that matter, we have to be aware of what kind of lives we are living. President Hinckley always noticed and expected the best in others, and encouraged us to give each other the benefit of the doubt. That's what I do when I read or hear negative about Mitt Romney. Because I already know what kind of life he has lead. He has my vote because of that, and nothing else.

• Dana Geigle
    Jan. 30, 2008 1:50 p.m.

It is refreshing in this life to find people of such high character and determination to do what is right. President Hinckley was a wonderful man, prophet and example. Mitt Romney is also a man of high character and we wish him the very best in his political ambitions. Our country could use some fixing up!!!!!!

• Georgia
    Jan. 30, 2008 11:02 a.m.

I remember many times when President Hickley said he felt our prayers for him and was grateful for them. And I'm sure he (they all) spend many hours praying for us. Don't we owe that to a person who sacrifices so much of himself for us.

• Linda
    Jan. 30, 2008 9:53 a.m.

Sharon Hill said it all in her comments. How wise you are and I appreciate your wisdom. Thank you for sharing and I hope everyone listens and learns especially about praying for Pres. Monson.

• Alice
    Jan. 30, 2008 9:51 a.m.

As I read Mitt's words I wish with all my heart that he was as eloquent and articulate as President Hinckley. To speak the truth, even under pressure, in the kind, loving, enthusiastic way the prophet did was one of his great talents. I wish we could all follow his example. Remember when questioned about the truth of the first vision and President Hinckley said, "Yes, isn't it wonderful." It is hard to find fault with such enthusiasm. I also love his statement that if we lived the gospel as we should the world would flock to our doors to join us.
    I am afraid that Mitt is hedging too much for his political and spiritual good. I pray that he will be elected president, but if not, I pray that the next Mormon who runs will learn from his mistakes and speak more clearly and enthusiasticly about the church and our prophet.

• Dennis
    Jan. 30, 2008 5:21 a.m.

To Provo Joe, Mitt Romney never made such a comment. He knows that God has talked to dozens of men anciently and in modern times since Moses. To say what you did is irresponsible and misleading, and (I'm being politacally incorrect now) a lie meant to discredit a good man.

• Lana Vasquez
    Jan. 30, 2008 12:36 a.m.

Our Prophet, We will all miss him. Untill we meet again............................................

• Sharon Hill
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:02 p.m.

I, as many others, love the way that Pres. Hinckley responded to Romney about his impending candidacy. It typifies the man so well.
    To james stowe: No one more than Gordon B. Hinckley would have loved to hear you say that. Read the preface to his biography from Sheri L. Dew to see what he felt about "adulation".
    "I have done nothing more than try to do what has been asked of me, and I've tried to do it the best I could. I don't want you to make more out of my life than is there."
    That is the last line of the third paragraph, but the whole first page is priceless. I, however, have no doubt that he was and is a Prophet of God and is as busy now as he was a week ago in the work of his Lord.
    As for skeptic: Pres. Monson doesn't need your prayers nearly as much as you need to pray for him.

• packer
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:54 p.m.

Prophet Hinkley, I love you: Thank you for all the wonderful tutoring and example. Say Hi to my wonderfull parents please, they loved you too.

• provojoe
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:12 p.m.

Susan, honest man? After saying what he did? Come on.

• Sister Luwanna Webb
    Jan. 29, 2008 9:24 p.m.

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! A wondrous work and wonder, President Gordon B. Hinckley, has been reunited with his lovely wife and all those who have gone before him. He was the Prophet of my time so far as a Latter-Day Saint. I will take with me the kind and loving way he shared with the world. His passion was the people, all of his brothers and sisters past, present and future. He was a true disciple of Christ. May we all emulate this loving man and create love within ourselves and thus, giving to all others.

• Don and Joyce Broadhead
    Jan. 29, 2008 7:38 p.m.

How we love President Hinckley. We will miss him, but we smile when we think of his reunion with his loved ones who have passed away before him, especially his dear wife.

• Monique ALONZO
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:55 p.m.

THE GREATNESS OF PROPHET HINKLEY WAS THTA HE KNEW
    WHAT HE HAD TO DO...AND HE DID IT WITH DEVOTION AND JOY AND FOR THE LOVE OF OUR LORD AND HIS TERRENAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS.
    SO WILL THE NEXT PRESIDENT...PRAISE THE LORD

• Susan
    Jan. 29, 2008 4:30 p.m.

I have seen a few Prophets pass, each has left a part of himself with us. So to will Pres. Hinkley, he has been one of our longest living Prophets. I have a strong testimony of our living Prophets. I have a strong testimony of the Gospel. We will soon have a new Prophet, he too will lead us in the way of our Lord. I'm so grateful to have this man to look to for guidance in this troubled time.
    As far as Mitt Romney and his comments, he is the one that has to answer for what he says, not me. I know the truth, so I'm not judging him. I do hope he wins as President, it would be nice to have an honest person there for a change.
    This is to Sames Stowe, Pres. Henkley wasn't just another old man, he was & is a Prophet of God. Don't ever forget that or doubt it.

• Utahn
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:36 p.m.

God bless Gordon Hinckley.

• Happy in AZ
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:36 p.m.

You know I was a little sad when I heard that President Hinkley had passed on, than I thought, what a joyfull occassion it must be for him to finally be back with his wife, and to be with his parents and all thoughs who had gone before him, and to be kneeling at the feet of Christ.

And now I'm happy that he lived such a wonderfull and full life and was such a great inspiration to so many, and I take comfort knowing that he is probably happy right know too.

• provojoe
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:22 p.m.

For clarification: if you go to youtube.com and search "mitt moses" it is the first result at the top of the list. The degree to which you feel it's ok for a member of the church to say something like that is probably the degree to which you believe in the importance of winning at all costs. For me the cost of this kind of statement is way too high. It is a lie in fact, even with "there may have been others" tacked on the end. Does he practice this kind of junk in the mirror? How does he keep this kind of double-talk at the ready? How very sad.

• Fullness
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:17 p.m.

I was grateful to this paper and reporter to hear the full story and quote by Romney, some of the other media reports seriously cut off his comments.

I love President Hinckley's response to Romney's disclosure of desiring to run for the presidential office. It is truly characteristic of the greatness of Gordon B. Hinckley, his optimism and realism. He was a giant of a man; a man of God.

• james stowe
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:02 p.m.

Just another regular old man died.

• hhsnyder
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:17 p.m.

How blest we all are for for knowing President Hinkley. He certainly has led this great church
    through times of great change and peril. We surely
    profited from his 'sage advice and counsel". Let us all press on to be the best people and representatives of this "living gospel" and try to emulate all the fine Christ like qualities President
    Hinkley taught us so well by his example.

President hopeful Romney, be of good cheer and courage and "let your light so shine". God bless
    us all and God bless the United States of America!

• Martha, T.O. Calif.
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:12 p.m.

When we heard of Pres. Hinckley's passing last Sunday night, our family we felt a personal loss and yet we were comforted by the fact Pres. Hinckley has been reunited with his eternal companion. We can imagine the heavenly occupants and their outpouring of love as Pres. Hinckley ascended to their realm.

We will sustain and honor Pres. Monson. We are thankful his shoulders are broad as he will continue to carry our world upon those same shoulders.

We love Pres. Hinckley and we love Pres. Monson.

• daniel
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:07 p.m.

it is sad to hear that gordon b hinkley has passed away.

• Kevin
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:41 a.m.

Pres. Hinkley had a great way of telling Mitt that he wasn't going to give him any pointers about running for president! President Hinkley always did know what to say. I had the chance to shake his hand and I must say that I think that he was as happy to meet me as I was to meet him! I'm glad that he has finished his work and that he can be together again with his sweetheart!

• Carolee Adams
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:06 a.m.

If the leaders of our day could have the loyalty,leadership, strength and wisdom of our dear friend and prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, then signicant change would come about. Not by a mandate or law but through the random acts of goodness and kindness that bind a nation together. It is ONE NATION under God and as we look toward the future may we emulate those that have made a difference because of the life they have lived. I know of one such leader that has been an instument in making our world a better place to live. He lived what He believed and by doing so, changed the world more than any of us realize! Thank you President Hinckley for your example. I see the great hope in this nation. Mitt Romney has an opportunity to make a difference. As he stands a little taller, he will come to understand the power that comes to those who recognize the voice that has formed this nation. Until we all stand united, this great nation will continue on a path of decay. It's time to stand tall and build bridges of understanding, hope, loyalty, love & strength. We must all stand taller.

• re:richard l. dunbar????
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:59 a.m.

That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard.
    This article is about The Prohpet and Romney commenting on it.......
    What does it have to do with guantanomo bay???
    This article wasn't about politic's........
    SSSSSSSHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE

• Skeptic
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:50 a.m.

Why would Monson or any prophet need our prayers? It seems to me the Lord is going to bless them for service and calling, not because I prayed for them. God wouldn't call Monson unless he was also going to sustain him in the calling, right?

• suzyk
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:39 a.m.

President Hinckley was a GIANT in my eyes. He had a way of letting you know how much he loved and appreciated you. His contagious laugh and sense of humor. Oh, it will be missed. He is now with his sweetheart Marjorie and hopefully he knows we as members of the church will remember his counsel and put it to work in our lives forever. He was concerned about that. He was a great example..he will be missed deeply. I can hear the Lord telling him "well done my good and faithful son". Now is the time to pray for President Monson(he is mourning the loss of his dear friend and brother in the gospel) He is a great man and one who loves Heavenly Father deeply. His calling will need all of our prayers, support and love. I believe he will be another wonderful President. Farewell Pres. Hinckley.

• Cheddar
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:24 a.m.

I think Mitt will do great today in Florida. My heart will miss Pres Hinckley. He was truly a great man, and a great prophet.

I did find it interesting that Mitt did not refer to pres Hinckley as a prophet in the interview. Perhaps it's just me.

Go Mitt!!

• Kjaerbye
    Jan. 29, 2008 9:22 a.m.

We shall miss Pres Gordon B. Hinckley, However the LDS Church moves forward for God's Poeple in Zion. President Monson perhaps the next leader of the Church will put his shoulder to the wheel to continue the Lords Work Upon the Earth.

• Vaha Ma'ake,Concord,California
    Jan. 29, 2008 8:05 a.m.

I am so grateful for my Prophet Gordon B Hinckley. He was my guiding light while I was in College in New Zealand, my first time away from home-land Tonga. I always stay close to his words through conferences and it guided through all the way. My faith had grown and my testimony has been strengthened. I am now happily married with 5 beautiful children and am sure will teach them the same principles. You are going to be missed Pres. Hinckley but your advises will be never forgotten in our lives and the next generations.

Good luck to you Pres.Mitt Romney!

• Rob
    Jan. 29, 2008 7:14 a.m.

I am so grateful for a Prophet and man who led by example his whole life. My teenage son told me a story of when President Hinckley went to a meeting with his Father and felt the spirit there so strongly he still remembered it all his life. He made us all want to live better lives. Someone brings in an untrue statement about what Mitt said and it gets a life. Do not give this or any other comment more time. I love the Prophets wonderful sense of humor and his wonderful loving smile.

• Greg Sipple_California
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:48 a.m.

He was a giant amongst Us! The tears just flow as I reflect on my personal moments with a Prophet..I loved so deeply. He made us all "taller" by his counsel and love. I love you my dear Prophet and hero. We will all Go Forward with Faith as he would want us too. Those that bring sunshine to the lives of others can not keep it from themselves.....He was a Light..a true inspiration. Just knowing that his hand now holds Sister Hinckleys once again heals the sorrow I feel in losing him in my life. He is HOME now....where he will hang his heart Forever.....Amen,,,,to that,,,*claps*

• Moses?
    Jan. 29, 2008 5:56 a.m.

Point 1- Pres Hinckley, always knew what to say, great advice. We lost a great leader but the show will go on.

Point 2- I didn't hear about that comment from Mitt but if true it sounds like he is again trying to please everybody on every side of the aisle. If somebody can clarify the comment, please do so.

• Paul
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:31 a.m.

God clearly speaks to his prophet and apostles today, if God and Jesus Christ weren't head of this Church then the Church wouldn't be here today, and it wouldn't be bringing miracles to all. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is so true, and i do testify of these things,Amen.

• Out of context
    Jan. 29, 2008 1:01 a.m.

"God hasn't talke to anyone since Moses.. and perhaps some others".
    -Was the quote in an interview. Search Youtube. Remember, he is trying to represent Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. He tried to find a common belief for many (standard politics). He didn't deny his faith.

• MoJules
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:30 p.m.

President Hinckley's comment to Mitt Romney about how it would be great if he wins or great if he loses, put it all into perspective. I really appreciate Romney sharing that simple but very wise comment from our Prophet. What ever the outcome of this election, I believe the Romney has helped to give the Mormon church an accurate voice, not through him, but through we as members that answer the age long questions that are being asked. I started out with pros and cons towards Romney, but he has gained my respect, and for him to attend the funeral would be a major chunk of his time during a very vital week.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:26 p.m.

provojoe

where did you get this info? I dont' recall hearing anything of this.

• What???
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:23 p.m.

provojoe

• LukeAir2008
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:36 p.m.

A fitting tribute to Pres. Hinckley would be if Ron Paul is elected as President and America is returned to the constitutional principles established by the Founding Fathers.

• katiejo
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:29 p.m.

i'm sad, and glad at the same time for the loss of Gordon B. Hinckley. He was "my" prophet. He is the only prophet I really remember. It's sad to see him go, but I know it was his time. And now he gets to be with his wife that he loves so much. :) It's wonderful that we know we can all be together forever.

• provojoe
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:21 p.m.

Mitt Romney said that God hasn't talked to man since Moses. That is unfortunate, especially now.

• LDS phils
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:13 p.m.

as an lds of this generation, i expected the prophet to reach a century old and see for himself the first mormon president of the USA and that of the world. but as one prophet goes, another would would take his place as we sustain him soon...i'm sure just the same he would give the same piece of advise to Mitt Romney...i'm not an american, but if i can vote, he has mine for 3 reasons: morality, integrity and leadership qualities (spiritual and temporal affairs)

• Judith Bacon
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:52 p.m.

I am so glad Gov. Romney took the time out of his busy schedule to comment on President Hinckley's passing. I can just see the smile on President Hinckley's face when he made the comment about it being a "great experience". We have all lost a great leader and a true Prophet of God.

• LDS
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:40 p.m.

The future for the US is going to be a rocky road and Mitt is not compendend to lead our nation in these hard times.

• LDS in Texas
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:35 p.m.

Thank you, Mitt Romney, for taking time from a very busy campaign schedule to honor President Gordon B. Hinckley. Your words reflect the feelings found in many hearts today as we mourn a beloved Prophet of God. Attending the funeral services of this great leader is the right choice.

• WARREN BURBANK
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:28 p.m.

We are all better for following the Prophet. Mitt would be a fantastic leader of this country. He has my vote. My advice would be......... stay out of the mud.

• Manuelita Castro de Avila
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:21 p.m.

Nos va a hacer mucha falta en la tierra el profeta Hinckley.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:21 p.m.

I am so surprised that you politicos would talk politics regarding this article, when the article had nothing to do with politics except that one of the men mentioned in the article was a politician. The article was about a great leaders death. Can you quit the personal attacks and honor a great leader? Isn't that what we should really be doing at this point?

• Ken Baguley
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:16 p.m.

It was great to hear the exchange or response regarding Mitt's running..."It will be a great experience if you win and a great experience if you lose". I'm not certain the exactness of that but that shows what a great mind that President Hinckley had no matter the consequence he sees the positive and Mitt was the recipient of that great counsel.

• LDS
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:58 p.m.

Hopefully Mitt Romney will be our future President of the United States. He is a good man, hope he will have the chance to prove that on election day.
    His love of his prophet is apparent, as it is to all of us, who have grown to love Gordon B. Hinkley. Our prophet President Hinkley is one of the most beloved men that has ever walked this earth, besides Jesus Christ himself. Now this sweet man is with his eternal sweetheart Marjorie ~ makes you smile doesn't it?

• Screen Age
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:45 p.m.

Well said, Bob. I tend to agree.

Mitt is a much better leader than he is a campaigner.

• richard l. dunbar
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:36 p.m.

i'm diappointed that romney remarked that he would like to see more centers of interrogation and imprisonment like guantanomo bay and feels those detained, especially as they aren't being held on u.s. soil, should have no recourse to legal councel funded or originating from the u.s. incidently, i am mormon and proud to be so.

• Bob Pomeroy
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:38 p.m.

It's good to hear Mitt's account and that he noticed the same personal attributes I noticed. I wish people could know things like that about Mitt instead of just the political stance he affects. He's just not as bad a guy as it makes him seem.