BYU player's wife arrested in DUI probe

Plaisted apparently had been taking medication for knee

• Kara
    March 4, 2008 10:39 p.m.

You people are ridiculous. You give an incomplete report. Lacey deserves an apology from you all. How can you comment on someone you've never met. This is a horrible article only meant to show a wonderful young women in a bad light. Get your facts straight.

• byufan
    Jan. 14, 2008 6:03 p.m.

she looks wasted in that photo!

• mrgirone
    Jan. 14, 2008 6:02 p.m.

What a moron, driving under the influence of anything is wrong. The only reason the charges were dropped was that she was the wife of someone special to the byu community. Had it been you or I we would have been charged and convicted.

• DelB
    Dec. 31, 2007 3:31 p.m.

It's sad how news of destruction run..........judgement is fast spread, the good true will come.......and hopeful will not hurt them.
    We know who you are. We love you

• Don
    Dec. 19, 2007 5:47 p.m.

I want to thank the deseret news for being very open with numerous stories that may not neccesarily shed a positive light on the church. This shows true journalism.

• Tomas
    Dec. 19, 2007 5:27 p.m.

One only need to look at the mugshot to know that she was still impaired. I'll trust the police on this one, rather than some casual media reader.

• n smith
    Dec. 19, 2007 4:58 p.m.

Please remember that Lacey reported that she had not taken a pain killer for her knee for over 5 hours. Seems likely this is enough time to be able to drive safely and not be impaired. At the least this should of never been printed. She didn't break the law it appears and the drug test didn't show she was impaired. I would hope that the DMN would step up to the plate and make this right to the Plaisteds.

• DMN
    Dec. 19, 2007 2:04 p.m.

Are you serious?
    I'm canceling my subscription.
    I think I need to take a break from the news for a while if this is the kind of news you want to report.
    I can't believe I'm wasting my time reading the article let alone commenting on it. I don't want this kind of news.

• ourageous
    Dec. 19, 2007 12:15 p.m.

Given that she appeared not to be operating the vehicle as she should have, I would guess that she ignored the warning label on the bottle regarding operating machinery. Those of you that think it should all be ignored are the first to want a person hung until dead if instead she plowed through a school crossing. Thank goodness she didn't kill anybody, but the point was, she could have and just got lucky.

• Simon doesn't say much
    Dec. 19, 2007 11:40 a.m.

If the offender had been African American, you would say she deserved it. But since she looks like a typical church goer, somehow she has been wronged. Also, if you think 99% of the population is driving while under the influence of anything that can seriously impair judgement, you are living in a vacuum.

• Simon Says
    Dec. 19, 2007 11:24 a.m.

And you call this news? No problem with the story about the legailty of driving while on medication, BUT, the headline for this article is mis-leading and absolutely wrong. 99% of the population should be arrested for the same offense. I don't know these people, but I feel for them to have to go through this absolute garbage journalism. By all means print the story, but be fair about it. The headline made her sound like some sort of low-life druggie. Come on DMN, make this right.

Another thing, why must every second article in the DMN be turned into a LDS bash or debate. Get over the religious slander and bigotry.

• The real sad part
    Dec. 19, 2007 9:14 a.m.

Many people in Utah think it is better to be over using prescription drugs rather than to drink alcohol. Somehow illegally injesting chemicals made in a lab is better than swallowing fermented grapes.
    What a world!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2007 9:09 a.m.

How dare anyone write something negative about something associated with BYU. Would they write about Paris Hilton or Brittany Spears driving while empaired? Well okay maybe they would, but it's okay because they aren't part of BYU. I think we should sue the DNews, or maybe the BCS.

• The sad part...
    Dec. 18, 2007 11:59 p.m.

...is that the only reason this story was printed was the BYU connection. I don't recall seeing any previous stories about DUI arrests due to prescription drug use when it didn't involve an auto accident. If this is such a common reason for DUI arrests, why hasn't it been reported before? Why wait till now? Oh, yeah,...the BYU connection. That's why.

• Disgusted in Oakland
    Dec. 18, 2007 9:59 p.m.

Why aren't the editors and writers of DNews held to the same standards as posters on this site? "Any comments found to be abusive, offensive, misrepresentative will not be posted." Your report was abusive to Mrs. Plaisted, offensive to many, and a misrepresentation of the facts. Should NOT have been posted per your own standards.

I am sure a headline will never read "Deseret News Editor's daughter-in-law suspected in prescription-drug fraud." (Disclaimer: I have no idea if the Editor even has a daughter-in-law.) When did a student-athlete's spouse become fair game for your tabloid journalism?

Let's subject journalists and their family members to the same standards as student-athletes. They have a higher public profile, they wield much more public influence, and they get paid more--hopefully not too much more for this kind of trash reporting.

• It's news
    Dec. 18, 2007 7:37 p.m.

It's news. If DNews didn't cover it, people would blame them for sweeping it under the rug because it's associated to their team. It was a double edged sword. And the news decided to error on the side of writing the news, big shocker! She's tough. No one thinks she's a bad person. She should cut the article, put it in her scrap book and go on with life. Even laugh about it later, if she's hasn't already. Good luck Stacey. Mr. Hancock keep it coming.

• Sorky
    Dec. 18, 2007 7:24 p.m.

The arresting deputy DID NOT apologize and she was released without having to post bail. Boy, the journalist who wrote this story did not do his homework.
    She did promise to convice her husband to stay with BYU another year if the jail released her for free.

• S. Utah correctional office
    Dec. 18, 2007 6:29 p.m.

Why are people shocked that the DMN reoported this. The DMN has always done reporting like that. It is biased, just like the Trib. That's why I stopped subscribing to it when I lived up in the Porem area. People need to get off the fact that her husband plays college b-ball. People need to stop commenting on the "mormon" issue. She made a poor choice and got caught. Suck it up, get over it, and move on. Lacy, all I have to say is "squat and cough"

• disapointed
    Dec. 18, 2007 4:59 p.m.

Reporting this incident and educating the public about this type situation is one thing, but the headline was very misleading and smacks of tabloid journalism. Very disapointing for a paper with the status of DMN.

• Kurt
    Dec. 18, 2007 4:27 p.m.

• WHAT???
    Dec. 18, 2007 2:20 p.m.

Go sit in a Utah Court room or at the Board of Pardons where this type of DUI resulted in a death, and then see what you have to say? I'm so glad this was reported. It needs to be brought to more individual's attention. I feel bad that she has to be scrutinized more than the average individual, but that's the way things in America work. Look at steriods for example, and I could go on and on. These types of stories help bring changes in people. Whoever made the Word of Wisdom comment - shame on you. This story/situation has nothing to do with that.

• Ditto
    Dec. 18, 2007 1:51 p.m.

Why is this in the paper!!!

• Unanimous
    Dec. 18, 2007 1:11 p.m.

From the comments, it looks to me like the foolish party in this situation is the newspaper editor who thought this was news. Lacey has nothing to be embarrassed about, but the paper does.

• SLC gal
    Dec. 18, 2007 12:48 p.m.

Oh my gosh. First of all why is this news????

Second of all, would this young woman be held in the same better than thou light if her husband played for - say- the UTES????

The cop had a reason to pull her over, regardless of who feels she deserved it or didn't. I personally have NEVER heard of the player she's married to so I don't think her name had ANYTHING to do with it.

Thirdly, look at the way she's smiling. I seriously hope that is not her booking photo. She looks like she has no knowledge of the fact that she was just accused of BREAKING THE LAW!!! If that were me I would not look that happy.

While I don't applaud DN for actually considering this news, I seriously hope that she doesn't think she's above the law just becuase her college includes the initials B, Y, and U. It's disgusting the opinion some of those cougars have of themselves.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 18, 2007 11:19 a.m.

Are you serious feather in the cap? The only reason the officer arrested Ms. Plaisted is because she is a BYU student and wife of a BYU athlete? Surely, ye jest. Most BYU athletes and families DON'T get arrested because they ARE BYU students/athletes.The officer did what she should have done: make a DUI arrest. I say kudos to her.

• Flash
    Dec. 18, 2007 11:04 a.m.

DUI on prescription drugs... This fact alone is what makes this a "news worthy" story. Not the BYU connection.

The public needs to be reminded that driving while under the influence of prescribed meds is just as dangerous as alcohol. This was an excellent piece that needed to be told.

• N Smith
    Dec. 18, 2007 10:54 a.m.

The report shows it had been 5 hours since she took a painkiller. I would think this should of been adequate to drive. She was driving to get an MRI on her knee. The cop wouldn't have called her the next day if she didn't feel like she went too far. She drove through a stop sign where the cop was stopped. She was not impaired. They were not following her. Because she was experiencing pain the police felt they wanted to check it out. This article is so far from what actually happened. The final report will give the results and if an arrest will take place. Seems pretty unlikey. Let's relax a bit. She was not impaired.

• wojo342
    Dec. 18, 2007 10:24 a.m.

If this would have been the wife of Fred Flannigan, a farmer from Fillmore, this wouldn't have even made it into the police blotter. Shame on you Mr Hancock for even writing this story.

DUI/Drugs is a crime and there should be no tolerance but give the girl a break. There was no need to smear her, show her picture because her husband happens to be a star athlete at BYU.

• Zacko
    Dec. 18, 2007 9:16 a.m.

Lately the words from Don Henley's 1982 song "Dirty Laundry" ring in my ears whenever I watch or read the news, especially when I read sensationalism like this.

"Just give me something, something I can use, people love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry."

• DUI TAG? RE: Spencer
    Dec. 18, 2007 9:11 a.m.

RE: Spencer - DUI means Driving under the Influence. She was under the influence of a drug, the tag DUI is appropriate, enough said.

• Back in the Day
    Dec. 18, 2007 9:10 a.m.

Are BYU fans pining for the days when Jim McMahon could do whatever he wanted and the cops did nothing?

This is news. Any coach or player on a college team will be scrutinized more than the average citizen. Well over 90% of college athletes are not married. That is not the case at BYU, so the scrutiny extends to spouses.

• Public figure
    Dec. 18, 2007 9:05 a.m.

You people that are in denial.. If she is not a public figure there wouldn't be so many of the public commenting about it. Just because she is not Madona doesn't mean she can go unnoticed in this state.

• Sure
    Dec. 18, 2007 8:40 a.m.

The real issue is that the headline in the DMN slanders her by making her look like she was arrested because she was driving drunk. It leaves one thinking that a wife of a prominent student is violating the word of wisdom. This is the worst type of reporting and those who are responsible should publish a story with a clear headline over sever days that clealy states that the paper false reproted the facts. How do you restore this hard working, innocent persons and BYU's reputation! You can't! Thou shalt not bear false witness, Ex. 20: 16. Thou shalt not bear false witness, Ex. 20: 16.
    Just as a side not. Women should not be police officers. I expect a male officer would have had the the wisdom to warn her and send her home. Women in the work place, especially in management positions are unyielding. Grerat when dealing with teenagers, bad when dealing with those who these women are suppose to be serving. There are many exceptions of woman who are very helpful. Still, I am alway careful when I need to interact with women in management in the workplace.

• Stupid BYU fans....
    Dec. 18, 2007 8:38 a.m.

All of you criticizing the DNews and the arresting officer for doing their jobs are pathetic. This girl broke the law by driving under the influence of pain killers. The law doesn't differentiate between alcohol DUI's and drug DUI's. If you are impaired, you are impaired.

Everyone knows you're not supposed to drive a car while taking pain killers. I had my tonsils out last month and took them for 10 days. Never once drove a vehicle during that time.

Quit making excuses for this girl and what she allegedly did. If she drove while on pain killers and put others lives in danger, she deserves whatever penalty she receives if found guilty. I can't believe how pathetic many of you sound trying to blindly defend this type of behavior. Just because she was going in for knee surgery (I'm wondering why she was taking them before the surgery was even performed) doesn't make this acceptable. Get a clue people.

• Spencer
    Dec. 18, 2007 8:36 a.m.

It's not fair to use DUI in the headline. It makes it sound like she was drunk, not on a prescription medication she was ok to take. Sure it's still wrong to be driving, but the Des. News should be a ASHAMED of itself for making this girl look worse than she is. This is why so many people hate journalists.

• Disgusted
    Dec. 18, 2007 8:17 a.m.

I agree, no reason these guys had to make this a story. Very shameful Deseret News! I expect more from you than this. Better judgement next time...okay?

• Dakotah
    Dec. 18, 2007 8:16 a.m.

The officer observed signs of impairment so she was pulled over. The officer then observed enough signs of impairment that he arrested and booked her.

What is the problem with this?

• former Utahn
    Dec. 18, 2007 6:50 a.m.

Because of cancer earlier this year, I've had my share of heavy duty pain pills. Each time I was warned by my doctor and pharmacist not to drive while using them, because it does affect you driving abilities. There were even stickers on the bottles. And just like when you're drunk, you think you can drive just fine, but your ability to react is affected. I think the officer did the right thing to stop Lacey. She was DUI and could have killed someone. However, I am getting more and more sick of the media jumping on the chance to report these kind of things. Of course they're only catering to a public that loves to read about the failures of celebrities. Having said that, I think we should get off the back of the police. They're doing their duty, and if you break the law, no matter what it is, you risk the chance to be ticketed. If you don't want to be ticketed, then don't speed, use your signal and get off that cell phone. Driving on I-15 would be so much nicer!

Dec. 18, 2007 6:33 a.m.

minds want to know..that is why they are called prescrition DRUGS...to help eliviate pain and cause IMPAIRMENT...LIVE THE HONOR CODE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND THE LAW OF THE LAND..DON'T CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF..RATIONALIZE IT FOR NO EASY TIME! all is not well in zion with a bunch of under the influence people running around out there..good job officer catch them before they kill someone!

• Cosmo
    Dec. 18, 2007 5:08 a.m.

This discussion seems to have gotten off track as to the real issue. The issue is not if she did something wrong. I think most people agree that she shouldn't have been on the road. The issue that needs to be discussed is if the DMN should have used this incident to embarrass her by making it "news", complete with a mug shot. Are all people arrested for DUI treated in this manner? I think they are not.

• aqualad
    Dec. 18, 2007 2:58 a.m.

C'mon. Mormons in Utah, have the biggest chip on their shoulders. There ARE exceptions, yes, but those of us in the real world have to listen to your whining about this being some conspiracy against BYU or its football program. Geez, the woman was driving under the influence of drugs. I'm glad she did not hit and kill someone. She was lucky. So was society.

And to "feather in the cap": you are a moron. You blame the officer for wanting a feather in HER cap and you are publicly offering to defend this woman? I take it you are an attorney. Someday, we won't need attorneys.

• Southern Utah Corr. officer
    Dec. 18, 2007 2:13 a.m.

I think people are missing the point. First wether this girl is the wife or not of a BYU player is besides the point. It doesn't matter what her race is, male/female, religion, etc. She took a narcotic, drove, didn't obey the rules of the road and got caught. She should have been pulled over and given some type of punishment. I'm perceiving that people think this girl should be let off because she is the wife of a Y b-ball player. She is lucky that she din't hit and kill anyone or even kill herself. Remember all actions have consequences.

• DUI
    Dec. 17, 2007 8:25 p.m.

Would all the people who are saying this shouldn't be a DUI tell me what the difference in impairment is between prescription pain killers and other opiates like heroin?

• Public Figure?
    Dec. 17, 2007 8:21 p.m.

I guess what will determine if she considers herself a public figure or not is whether she accepts all the free legal services from Y allumns. That is the normal procedure to protect the Chosen Ones of the Y athletic department.

• lucas from reno
    Dec. 17, 2007 7:50 p.m.

Man the police must have their hands full in Springville or where ever it took place. All I know is Utah and of course because a mormon person hurt themselves and was taking medication its a big deal. Dang send some of your cops over this way, we could use a few more to clean up all the rape, meth deals and illegal prostition. DUI medication, at least she could have poundind a 40 or something. Boring news hits the boring views of utardville usa!!!
    Sincerely someone who doesn't give a crap and is surprised you do

• Carlo
    Dec. 17, 2007 7:45 p.m.

This article isn't just about Lacey Plaisted, it's about how the police officer handled the situation.

I learned a few things from this story -- which is the point of this article. Journalists are here to inform us. Just because there are those who would rather be uninformed, doesn't mean the topics published are not newsworthy.

• Sarah in Alaska
    Dec. 17, 2007 6:28 p.m.

Thanks for reminding readers that driving drugged is the same as driving drunk. Cheers to the police officer for getting her off the street. I hope others in Provo/Orem hear the message and think before they get behind the wheel.

• Anna -the BYU fan
    Dec. 17, 2007 6:17 p.m.

Y fans (including myslef),
    Reasons for this needing to be publshed
    1. Where did you find out about this? (This article)
    2. What is a news reporters job?
    3. How many people want to know of stories like this because it mught matter to them?

I really do feel bad for Lacey- that is one of the two only reasons this does not need to be published. Lacey was just driving somewhere with pain Killers- although, that was not a good choice. Now imagine if you were Lacey- how would you feel with all these pictures and lots of rude comments. Maybe she was going somewhere very important- maybe not. Now why does it matter anyways it happened and it is mostly over. Trent will not like this site with all the comments so be nice.

• Fair Treatment
    Dec. 17, 2007 5:51 p.m.

She shouldn't have been driving but this is overblown. I wonder how much defense she would receive from the good people of Utah if the gender or race were different.

• Reality
    Dec. 17, 2007 5:36 p.m.

I can't believe all the heat the police are getting for an officer doing there job. Mrs. Plaisted should know not to drive while feeling whoozie. Even if she is taking something innocently for and injury or not she should be wise. Sounds to me like she needs a dose of reality along with all you others that side with her. A DUI is a DUI no matter how you slice it.

• Sanctified
    Dec. 17, 2007 5:18 p.m.

I laugh while reading all of these comments. I figure better to be arrested than to kill someone while driving. All of you self exonorating apologists would be up in arms if she was to plow into your spouse or kids. The issue isn't who or what she is. The issue is what she did. A DUI is a DUI is a DUI.

We should praise the officer for protecting all of us. All of you that are whining about what the officer did, just keep count of all the DUI related deaths that occur from now till the 3rd of January. I think you might change your opinion.

• boycott desnews
    Dec. 17, 2007 5:16 p.m.

I often view the comments posted by readers after articles on this website. Should an article this rediculous really be a surprise? Should a lot of the rediculous comments posted really surprise anyone. It always turns into a debate about religion or politics Y vs U. If it all bothers you, do what I just decided to do: Boycott the paper. There has to be more important things to read than this.

• ChicagoUtahn
    Dec. 17, 2007 4:26 p.m.

I can't believe that people are writing that Ms. Plaisted is being treated unfairly. She was driving erratically enough to be noticed by a sheriff deputy. I'm sure he was just "targeting" her. They clearly had enough evidence to justify booking her. Driving while under the influence of ANY drug is against the law. It is dangerous. It affects other people. She should be accountable for her actions and yes, it is newsworthy. Stop with the poor Ms. Plaisted comments. I would expect that there would be very little sympathy for her if she was doing meth or drinking beer. I'm glad no one was injured because her thoughtless actions

• Buck Jr.
    Dec. 17, 2007 3:40 p.m.

It is ethically wrong to even write this article.

• Funkalicious
    Dec. 17, 2007 3:15 p.m.

Where am I? Behind the Zion curtain.

• Awesome...
    Dec. 17, 2007 3:10 p.m.

I just want to know how you were able to smile for the photo? When I was arrested for forgetting to pay a traffic ticket, they treated me like a high profile criminal. I tried to smile to make light of the situation, but they wouldn't allow it. Good for you!

• RonRook
    Dec. 17, 2007 3:08 p.m.

Whoa! Must have been a slow day in the newsroom. It's simple, it her lack of control was due to something she has no control over, the case will be dismissed. If not--then, she has problems. Either way, a non-story. Who cares! Show me some real news.

• what the....
    Dec. 17, 2007 2:56 p.m.

I have also had multiple knee surgeries and the pain medications SPECIFICALLY say "Do not operate machinery while under the influence". Did she not know that meant "don't drive a car", or did she think as long as she wasn't operating her weaving loom that she would be ok?

• I heard....
    Dec. 17, 2007 2:30 p.m.

Again... more DUI stories in todays papers!!! HOW DARE THEY

• Disappointed in DMN
    Dec. 17, 2007 1:12 p.m.

I certainly hope that the DMN will follow up on this story and report the details of the arrest and treatment that Lacey received by the Officer involved.
    This Officer needs to be totally reviewed for her professionalism.
    Trent and Lacey. I am sorry you have to go through this.

• news hound
    Dec. 17, 2007 12:56 p.m.

Forget about the writer. What editor would run a story like this? Next thing you know, law enforcement will arrest someone with more than one wife and the media will make a big deal out of that non-story.

• Puzzled
    Dec. 17, 2007 12:25 p.m.

What's this BYU so many commented on?

Dec. 17, 2007 12:10 p.m.

This article may or may not have been justified/necessary.
    But a follow-up article with accurate and important details is absolutely necessary -- this young woman deserves that much.
    I'm sure everyday there are people who drive under the influence of pain or cold medication, thinking they'll be okay.
    Helping people recognize the danger of that is more important than dragging someone's name through the mud.

• Judy
    Dec. 17, 2007 11:32 a.m.

I am sorry but where did being a wife of a basketball player at a Private University make you a public figure?

• Step up and be responsible!
    Dec. 17, 2007 11:26 a.m.

Innocent or not, when you are impared with a drug or alcohol you have to know you aren't thinking straight and getting in a vehicle is the last thing she should have done. As most athletes say when they are busted, "It was an error in judgement". I get tired of hearing it. Step up to the plate people!

• Maybe shouldn't be in the paper,
    Dec. 17, 2007 10:55 a.m.

but she should not have been driving either. The officer did the right thing in arresting her, and she should be given a warning now that we know she was using a prescription.

• Are you kidding?
    Dec. 17, 2007 9:48 a.m.

It definitely deserves to be a story. There are so many people out there doing the same thing, and thinking that it's okay. My sister in-law rationalizes her driving under the influence of prescription medication, as "it is not the same thing". I've even asked the local officers to just talk to her about it, but she happens to be a "good Mormon", and they don't want to embarrass her. It is unfortunate that this young girl has too have this negative attention, but if it opens the eyes of others doing the same thing, then it's worth it. Like someone else here said, it's a good thing that she didn't run into a van load of kids - and things like that happen. Everyone (Mormon or not, BYU student or not) needs to open their eyes and quit being so niave.

• Amen
    Dec. 17, 2007 9:18 a.m.

I, too, can't believe all of these comments, And I can't see that it deserves to even be a story.

• Wayne F. Davis
    Dec. 17, 2007 8:38 a.m.

I find it hard to believe that 167 people have commented somewhat publicly about this. Let it lie and don't give this reporter the exposure he was obviously seeking.

• BigBYUand Plaistedfan
    Dec. 17, 2007 6:57 a.m.

This story does need to be published, but not on headlines, OK? I feel bad for Mrs. Plaisted, but she should not have been doing that. I feel bad for you Lacy. Now when Ute fans tease, just say "Well at least it was medication." Ute fans just do not know a thing sometimes. So don't bring it up otherwise. Merry Christmas, but next time this shouldn't be on the front page.

• the name
    Dec. 17, 2007 4:58 a.m.

let it take the legal course ..now how many more are there in this highly over the counter drug state which has been identified w/depression and i am not refering to this fine lady. however if she had operation on her acl that along w/drug would impair reaction time at least i wouldn't want her comming up on my children and i in no crosswalk. good job officer that's why they call it law enforcement live the law of the land w/out no double standards which is so well practiced!

• she's innocent
    Dec. 17, 2007 4:47 a.m.

because she's pretty and i'm sticking to my story!

• Concerned Citizen
    Dec. 17, 2007 4:10 a.m.

I'm glad law enforcement officers are out doing there jobs and investigated potential DUI's. I think newspaper reporters that publish criminal cases before they go to trial or before people have a chance to be tried in court is unfortunate. I am sure she (lacey) is a nice person. Nice people should not drive while taking pain killers that could alter their driving. I'm sure she learned a valuable lesson and I'm sure the law enforcement officers intent were decent. Good luck to all parties involved.

• Skeptic
    Dec. 17, 2007 1:50 a.m.

Impaired driving is impaired driving. Everybody goes head hunting for drunk driving (and they should) and here are dozens of people
    1) Upset that cops would consider this serious (I don't want impaired people driving around me!)
    2) Upset that the newspaper covered it, like it does impaired DUI driving ALL THE TIME!
    I feel bad for her too and relieved that nobody was hurt.

• re:re: St. George fan
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:36 p.m.

The article says nothing about her telling the cops she was taking meds. I guess you just infer what was said from what?

The fact there was something in her lab test really means nothing. The evidence of hydrocodone would be in there for several days when the half life of the medication is only a couple of hours.

What I said was that we don't know if the reason for stopping Lacey was for anymore than we see half of the kids with cell phones do every time they drive; or if there was real evidence of impaired driving.

But, I am sure you have never been distracted from your driving and accidentally missed a stop sign or changed lanes without thinking about it and signalling for the required 3 seconds.

I once was stopped and had the cop make us walk and check in the pick-up for cans etc because he said I was driving too slow....on a crowded blvd.???

I am not saying she may not have been at fault for more than just a traffic violation; but reported for DUI... this was a slam without just cause.

• PC Texas
    Dec. 16, 2007 9:09 p.m.

I noticed the Trib didn't carry this story. The headline is very misleading-give me a break.

HEADLINE: Reporter's cousin ticketed for running red light

Many of us would have incriminating headlines like this at some point in our lives. . . can't believe I even read this.

• Re: St. George Fan
    Dec. 16, 2007 9:07 p.m.

"I see people get distracted for whatever reason every day. They tailgate, speed, swerve or run a stop sign; that does not indicate impairment."

I understand that people do stupid things when they are distracted...but if those things don't indicate impairment, what the heck does? If a cop sees someone swerving across the road, or running stop sign, it leads them to think maybe they are impaired. Mrs. Plaisted told the cop that she was taking meds...wouldn't that lead you to believe that maybe she was influenced by the medications and unfit to drive?

I see no fault in the officer who arrested her. Anyways, I really don't think this article tainted the Plaisteds at all...at least for me. I don't think any less of them as I did before reading the article. What this article did for me was remind me that taking Pain Meds and driving is a big no no.

• KSL Broke the Story
    Dec. 16, 2007 9:01 p.m.

I heard the news last night on KSL. Isn't KSL the most pro-BYU station out there. I also believe that the Deseret News is the most(major paper) pro-BYU paper in Utah. I agree that it really shouldn't have been posted but BYU's biggest supporters are giving into the "hype" and are the first one's to post the news. Everyone is on the defensive about the "big news". If my fellow BYU weren't so self righteouss all the time, this story wouldn't have gotten so blown up. I do feel bad for this girl in that she will be forever labeled a drug users in many circles. Question: What would have happened if she would have hit someone? She would be forced to leave the state for being persecuted. They may want to leave anyway because the stigma will always be there. Unfortunate but is true in our state.

• Born and raised
    Dec. 16, 2007 8:54 p.m.

in Utah and now I'm 1895 miles away. Just far enough that I have to look on the internet to read this stuff. It is so nice to take a quick glance and move on to more important things. My heart goes out to those of you left behind. (Tee Hee!)

• Chris
    Dec. 16, 2007 8:48 p.m.

Lacey Plaisted is not as famous as the First Lady, because Trent Plaisted is not as famous as the President. That does nothing to change the fact that wives of famous men are automatically themselves famous.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:54 p.m.

• St. George fan and M. D.
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:53 p.m.

We are all assuming she was truly impaired. I believe that she was probably distracted and ran the stop sign; then the arresting officer saw "pain pills" and decided she was impaired.

I look at her "mug shot". She appears bright and fully functional. I doubt there was any impairment; just a very exicted cop to arrest a cute young girl and charge her with impairment.

I still am a fan of Trent and give a vote of confidence to his wife.

They will be fine with this and the police dpt. will be due to give them an apology. That is my prediction.

Go Cougs and be strong Trent and Lacey; don't let this get you down.

• Mark Whitney
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:50 p.m.

Tim K's assumption is not accurate. The fact that I am an attorney does not mean that I have researched Utah or federal law respecting privacy rights, public figures and public information in the context of this arrest. If Tim "K" is correct, (1) perhaps he can share his statutory authority and case law and (2) the fact remains that reasonable people can differ on the propriety of publishing this particular article . The fact that the paper may be legally entitled in publishing it does not alone justify its publication. I for one believe it is irresponsible journalism.

• Re: Chris
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:09 p.m.

Chris, are you really trying to compare Lacey Plaisted to the First Lady??

• News!
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:05 p.m.

I think this story deserves to earn Jacob Hancock a trip to work at more reputable outfit than the Deseret News. Perhaps at tmz.com or thesmokinggun.com. Excellent judgment by the editor at Deseret News. So worthy a story never graced the pages of our vaunted home town paper.

• Jim
    Dec. 16, 2007 4:57 p.m.

Ever heard of being convicted by the press? If not then this is an excellent example.

• Chris
    Dec. 16, 2007 4:39 p.m.

I count 48 Deseret News articles referencing Bobbye Sloan and 20 referencing Shelley Meyer. There are countless stories in the national media about Mary Cheney and Jenna Bush. The spouse of the U.S. president automatically becomes one of the most prominent public figures in the world. For better or worse, close relatives of public figures tend to become public figures.

• Dear Mark W.
    Dec. 16, 2007 4:26 p.m.

If you are a lawyer, your will understand the case law with regards to persons arrested. The photo, name, and her address is public information. Her right to privacy is null following her arrest. And by case law definition of 'public figure', she qualifies.
    Tim K.

• Shame on DNews
    Dec. 16, 2007 3:42 p.m.

I live in Hawaii and read the DNews daily. Newspapers are going to make mistakes - they are under tremendous pressure. We will forgive many mistakes. This is not one of those times. Printing this article was "professionally" wrong - it is not news, she is not a public figure. There was NO reason to hurt this family - there is NO justification mentioned by anyone in these comments that comes close to reasonable journalism ethics. Shame on you Joe - this story shows a scary trend in your paper.

• Non Story
    Dec. 16, 2007 3:01 p.m.

I'm a Ute fan and can not see why this is even a story. If she were not married to a Y basket ball player this story wouldn't even be in the paper. Any Ute fans poking fun at this girl should be ashamed. She should be more aware of what she is doing while on pain killers though.

Dec. 16, 2007 10:57 a.m.

There's another DUI story in today's paper, under Utah, headline "2 are arrested in Dixie in theft and DUI case"

• Dear Lawyer Mark W.
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:52 a.m.

Well said.

To everyone else (critical of the reportage): for those of you who have never made a bad choice in your life, go ahead and cast the first stone.

I thought so.

• Dear Cosmo
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:50 a.m.

Go back to the sidelines and cheer squad, there are no conspiracy theories and the "brethren" have as much to do with the news gathering of the paper as you do. Put a sock in it.

• Premature
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:49 a.m.

When-if-charges would have been filed, this would have been a legit news story, though probably not to the extent that it was covered.
    But while an alleged crime is under investigation, there is no story to report. If the DA decides that filing charges is not warranted, or reduced to running a stop sign, where does Ms. Plaisted go to get her reputation back?

• Amused
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:44 a.m.

I would bet alot that the warning was on the label of the medication. It's not quite the same as alcohol or social drugs but is IMPAIRMENT that had warning. Everyone must be held acoutable for they're own decision making. The end result could be the same as other mentioned impairments, deadly accident ect. Wake up people you should be held accountable for bad decisions. religion plays no part in this issue.

• U of U Fan
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:43 a.m.

This is pretty low for the D news to report this story.

• Interesting
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:24 a.m.

Wow. I'm amazed at the mud slinging by those who think that this reported incident is any part of their business.

Interestingly, these same people are using the self-righteous card with those who thinnk DNews made a poor judgement call by reporting this piece of non-news.

Interesting indeed.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:19 a.m.

Lacey is NOT a public figure.

The spouse of an amateur college athlete is NOT a public figure.

Because an ESPN camera chooses to pick you out of a crowd for 10 seconds does NOT make a person a public figure.

Have some respect for family.

• AMC
    Dec. 16, 2007 10:05 a.m.

How can you even think a BYU player's wife is a public figure? Come on, D-news! I would rather have blank space in a newspaper than gossip garbage. No more. My subscription is canceled.

• Mark Whitney
    Dec. 16, 2007 9:26 a.m.

I am an attorney and have prosecuted and defended thousands of DUI cases. Driving under the influence of any drug, legal or illegal, is a crime in probably all states. There are surprisingly a large number of people who profess ignorance of the the serious nature of the crime. The public needs to be informed of the crime and its consequences and also of the fact that the crime is prosecuted in Utah and elsewhere. No one is logically suggesting that the State does not have a valid interest in prosecuting the crime. The problem here is not that she was stopped and arrested, but that the newspaper elected to make her an example by publishing her photo, etc. Due process has not run it course, and in reality it has nothing to do with which church she belongs to or whether she is the wife of a ute or a cougar. Unlike some writers whose names remain anonymous, I for one believe that there are some serious issues here, including a person's right to privacy when balanced against the public's right to know, and the question of who qualifies as a public figure.

• Mike from Chino
    Dec. 16, 2007 8:37 a.m.

This is hilarious! You people need some real crime up there in Utah to talk about! This poor woman and her husband become objects of yellow journalism because of a pain killer? Gimmee a break! DMN I am so disappointed in you!

• Cosmo
    Dec. 16, 2007 7:48 a.m.

To Rockon and Tim K: You are somehow drawing a conclusion that she deserves this because her husband plays basketball and Dick V. made some uninvited comments about her. I wonder how she feels about it? Was she pusuing the public limelight? I doubt it. The DMN used this situation to create a "news" story knowing full well that it would embarrass her and damage her. Shame on the DMN and those that defend the DMN. It's time we stood up for what is right rather than justify something that hurts others - just because the press can get away with it. Is that the duty of the press? They didn't have to print it and they didn't have to show her mug shot. They should have been just as respectful to her as they would to all the other DUI offenders in Utah. Those that want to make this into a Mormon thing - are the Plaisteds Mormons? Who cares?
    I say let the DMN know how we feel about it and switch to the Tribune. If the "Brethren" in SLC have any guts, they'll see to it that some changes are made at DMN.

• Max
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:27 a.m.

Tim K, She is NOT a public figure in any way, shape, or form. Her HUSBAND plays COLLEGE basketball!!! The police were right to stop her but the Deseret News never should have made it public. What a non-story and what poor judgment on their part to print it.

• jph1223
    Dec. 16, 2007 6:00 a.m.

I am surprised at the number of people out for the heads of the Deseret News Editorial Board and Jacob Hancock. This is news. Sometimes a public embarrassent is the catalyst for someone with a drug or alcohol problem to get the help they need (may I mention Rush Limbaugh?). Of course, this is not always the case (i.e. Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, et. al.). This is most unfortunate. If the girl does have a problem, I hope she can get the help she needs.

• Glad I live in Idaho
    Dec. 16, 2007 5:56 a.m.

The officer was right to pull her over for running a stop sign but arresting her and charging her with DUI? On what evidence? His opinion? Give me a break. I'd see the police department in court.

The next time you're in Utah and decide to take an ibprofin for pain remember this incident. It'll get you in jail. Pathetic newspaper reporting and even more pathetic police work.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 16, 2007 2:19 a.m.

I find it humorous that so many of you are concerned about protecting Lacey Plaisted's reputation from being tarnished, yet you freely blast Jacob Hancock's good name on the internet, in public.

Jacob Hancock was just doing his job. He didn't break the law. Lacey Plaisted did.

Don't be hypocritical. Reporters are people, too.

• Tim K
    Dec. 16, 2007 12:20 a.m.

re' bunch of trolls,
    She is a public figure and as this, is subject to being reported on, whether for a DUI or for sitting at a b-ball game. That is the end. Nothing more. Sorry their private life is not private anymore. Price of being famous (in the public eye). It is true of elected officials, pro athletes, public figures, news reporters, even police officers involved in high profile cases. Lets see how this ends up. I have a feeling, the end and middle will be reported on too. As for anyone that will no longer read the D-news.....come on, you still are.....we get our news from everywhere now a days and we love it. I am done, see ya

• RockOn to Whiners
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:34 p.m.

Love BYU. But, this is a news story. Period. It was news when KSL and others reran Dickie V. showing Lacey on television. She got tons of great kudos.

Now the shoe is on the other foot because she was stopped by police. It is news and worthy news. It is neither slander (verbal) nor liable (print). It is just reporting the facts.

The BIG story would have been if no one had reported it. That would have been decried, correctly, as a cover-up.

Thanks DNews for doing your duty.

Truth sometimes hurt but Lacey and Trent will be fine. I've heard they're very fine people and will enjoy the fruits of their stardom in years to come. I'm pulling for both.

• Former Cop @ 4:45
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:14 p.m.

I posted that I had the medication DUI. Don't misunderstand, I am very lucky to get off the road that night alive.

I was pointing out that the DUI's in this state are very expensive, and instead of getting anything that helped me with my meds to get straight I was treated the same as if I were on Meth or Alcohol, and I feel treatments should have fit the crime.

More importantly, the stigma needs to be removed from DUI because there are outstanding people who are not bar hopping but still feel disgraced because they might have went out after taking cough syrup and recieved a DUI. They shouldn't feel labled a drunk and adict, and that is the way they are treated (the response to this storyis evidence of that).

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I loss my best friend to a drunk driver, and even though I believe that I have forgiven the person, I do not regard them the same as Ms. Plaisted.

• And this is a story because...?
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:09 p.m.

Why subject a college basketball players wife to this embarrassment Deseret News? Calling her a "public figure" as Good Work suggested is a bit of a stretch.

• Self Righteous type
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:56 p.m.

RED Anonymous:

Whose charges were dropped?

Which coaches and athletes?

Wow, you are an anti-mormon, Ute, instigator, and a liar...

So very different from the others.

• I Wonder
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:25 p.m.

I wonder if these comments would be any different if it were a player's wife for Utah instead of a player's wife from BYU? i bet that the comments would be ranging from "they shouldn't have let her out" to "she should be tarred and feathered".
    I've seen some of the posts. I've seen some very mean reactions to those that are definitley know as "non-members".
    Can we ever be a little more unbiased?

• Brad
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:43 p.m.

There had better be some massive public apologizing for this. Nothing short of public apologizing will repair the damaged caused by this negligent police officer. Shame on the media for blowing this up with no proof of a story. This is obviously the result of poor journalism.

• To Homer
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:29 p.m.

You tell her to stay out of the spotlight and that she didnt mind being on ESPN. Do you really think that she chose to be on TV? DO you want her to not watch her HUSBAND play?

• Chris
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:19 p.m.

friend: You seem to be confused. Mrs. Plaisted was arrested by a Utah County deputy. The lawn-watering incident involved the Orem Police. No, they're not the same police squad.

• self righteous?
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:18 p.m.

Could somebody please explain how believing the media handled this situation poorly makes somebody "self-righteous"?

• Even Keel
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:16 p.m.

So how many other people were cited, not charged yet, for DUI in Utah County that day. I would bet it is more than one. Why aren't their pictures and a full article in today's paper. You could have done better DMN.

• anonymous
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:06 p.m.

I have seen many times when charges were dropped for certain people. And yes, some were BYU coaches and athletes. For all you self righteous types, get a clue.

• friend
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:50 p.m.

People should know that she took a pain pill at 9:00 AM and did not get pulled over until around 4:00 PM the only reason she mentioned it was because after she rolled through a stop sign (something we have all done without being under the influence) the officer noticed her injury and asked if she was taking anything. Lacey, the honest person she is, said yes but not since this morning but the officer arrested her anyway. Her actions were nothing to be arrested for! She was not driving recklessly. It was probably the same officer that arrested the 72 year old woman for watering on the wrong day this past summer. It was the same police squad.

• KSL Too...
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:32 p.m.

I saw this last night on the newscast on channel 5. Holy Cow! This is news? I can't believe that with everything that is going on in our world and community that this was really worth the time and space to report it.

• re: A bunch of trolls
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:21 p.m.

First, as I read these comments, most people don't defend what she did. I think everybody recognizes that DUI of any sort is wrong and proper actions need to be and will be taken.
    Second, not every DUI gets an article written up about them. Is it really necessary to humiliate her because she's a "public figure"? Why does the fact that somebody is married to a local celebrity mean we have a right to know everything she has ever done wrong. People will make mistakes and don't need them shouted to the world. If me saying that the DMN should have respected the Plaisted's privacy means I am "self-righteous", then so be it.
    Thirdly, people read "news"papers to find out the news. How could I have know this article wasn't newsworthy unless I read it in the first place? We're not asking for censorship, we're asking for quality, pertinent news instead of this garbage.

• MVM
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:10 p.m.

Sad this article had to run. She's not a criminal. The headline is misleading. The media is so quick to leverage peoples' reputations for their own gain (in advertising). I hope this old-school journalism goes the way of the old media.

• sean
    Dec. 15, 2007 7:21 p.m.

the headline is misleading

this is a non-story

I cannot begin to express how silly this is

Mr Cannon, what kind of newspaper are you publishing?

why did the sports editor run this?

• Pittsburgh Ute
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:57 p.m.

This is Gossip.

This is Slander.

This is Speculative Rumor-Monging.

Boy am I glad that I canceled my Deseret News Subscription.

• bill
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:07 p.m.

She served my wife and I a few days ago at ruby river.She is a very nice girl.A class act!!!

• Sorely disappointed
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:04 p.m.

Okay, the point aimed at the newspaper is this: Why print this DUI story over the many many others that occur in our state? Especially at this point when no charges have been leveled yet? The reporter and the editors have decided that we, the DNews readershp, actually care. I, for one, don't. Add this to a growing list of non-stories the DNews has chosen to report on lately. My respect and trust for the paper is wearing thin. When it becomes a story, report it. Right now it's not. The sad thing is that if Ms. Plaisted is not charged, or charged but acquitted, you can bet the DNews will not report that, because it (1) isn't sensational, and (2) would force them to admit they jumped the gun. Don't hold your breath.

• Problem
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:50 p.m.

The problem here isn't that they reported a DUI, the problem is how they reported it. With the headline--"BYU player's wife arrested for DUI" their only intention was to get a reaction/reader to click on the article. Go ahead and report the DUI but don't lead with that headline. Total GARBAGE

• Look at yourself
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:40 p.m.

You say you have no sympathy for DUI but have you ever eaten while driving or changed the radio station or talked on your cell phone? . . . you are just as dangerous especially because you just want to point the finger at others.

• Come on
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:37 p.m.

Why do you have to drag Lacey through the mud? The allegations seem at best tenuous and at worst absurd. Your story is cruel, sensational, and reflects the impatience of a reporting staff itching to dig up dirt against BYU in a "slow year" for Cougar scandals.

And DMN - do you really need to have your headline start with "BYU"? Are your online advertising revenue streams really so important that you are willing to drag the school through the mud just to increase your readership? I hope we see an equally ridiculous headline to publicly exonerate Lacey (and by extension the university) when this gets resolved.

• A bunch of trolls or not
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:26 p.m.

I think all the people on here condemning the Dnews or the cops or defending Plaisted are either trolls trying to make LDS members and BYU fans look like fanatic self-righteous idiots or they are truly fanatic self-righteous idiots.

If you don't think this should be in the news then don't read it...Don't demand censorship. I don't know what rock you are living under but the arrest of a wife of the star player of a nationally ranked NCAA team is newsworthy...no matter where you live.

• Bottom Line
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:03 p.m.

What she did was risky, yes.

Just not newsworthy, especially trying score a scoop, at the expense of the Rest of the Story.

You can do better than this.

• Good work
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:01 p.m.

1. She's a public figure.
    2. She was driving erratically.
    3. She's in technical violation of a statute, at the least.
    4. She hasn't *yet* been charged (go back and read).
    5. She *was* arrested.

All of these are news.

Who cares if Trent Plaisted (aka, future Greece All-Star, because he won't be in the NBA) doesn't give interviews in the future? Big deal.

This is a news story.

• No Sympathy for DUI
    Dec. 15, 2007 4:45 p.m.

I am a former cop who also served as a pallbearer for my sixteen year old cousin who was killed by a drunk driver on probation for killing two other people two years before the accident that killed by cousin and his best friend.

Can we all please at least use this as a reminder that we need to be careful when using any medication that might adversely affect us, or a loved one, in any way. It may be your life that we save.

• Why the Outrage?
    Dec. 15, 2007 4:13 p.m.

It is surprising to me that a great deal of condemnation is coming down upon the newspaper, reporter, and arresting deputy. If the article is accurate, then the only one who did anything wrong is the arrestee.

The terms "slander," "smear" and "misleading headline" seem to have been used frequently. I would agree with this is if she was not pulled over, not arrested for DUI, and a drug not found in her system.

As much as the detractors on this board wish this event did not occur, it did. The BYU basketball player, and, by extension, his wife are public figures (especially due to national exposure on ESPN). When a public figure is arrested, it is news--it's just that simple. Needless to say, a large part of being in the newspaper business is, indeed, selling newspapers.

As is all too common with message boards, unfortunately, people speak through their heart rather than through their head.

• Tore ACL
    Dec. 15, 2007 4:06 p.m.

She tore it while getting off a bench. Was she doing a back handspring or was she on drugs than too?

• cougarkeith
    Dec. 15, 2007 4:04 p.m.

Dear Tim K. Thanks for the comment and the update on the SL Co. DA... I never heard the outcome, my bad... This is just a stupid story, not even newsworthy, only made it because of who she is, not what she did. Thanks for "calling me" on it. You are right.

• Dear, "you guys make me sick"
    Dec. 15, 2007 3:37 p.m.

It wasnt proven. The officer still hasnt even
    filed his report.

No charges have been filed.

Read the article and calm down.

• Dear cougarkeith,
    Dec. 15, 2007 3:37 p.m.

Your logic is skewed. If the deputy was to just let her go after the stop, you sound like the kind of guy who would yell, police favortism, because she is related to a local sports figure. Just like you say cops protect their own, you probably have said the rich and famous get away with everything. I do not know your experience with all bad cops, but you need to find better friends. The SL Co. DA was let go after he plead no contect to the charge. It was all over the media, you just did not see it.
    Tim K.

Dec. 15, 2007 3:27 p.m.

For all the BYU fans (especially in Utah County) this story is still news and was reported just like other DUI cases. The Hyper-Sensitivity shown by you Cougar fans posting in here make you look even more daft and ridiculous.

It is news. It is a high profile players wife and if a spouse from the Jazz or any other team in Utah had a similar thing happen it would be reported on by local papers.

The folks in here complaining are probably the same ones who pick up a People magazine in the store or watch Donny Osmond on ET to seek out the latest celebrity gossip. GET REAL ABOUT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE ARTICLES AUTHOR! They were paid to do a job and went out and got the facts and put them in print per their editor's wishes.

Maybe Mrs. Plaisted will heed the warning label on her prescription next time she decides to operate a motor vehicle. She was lucky someone wasn't injured because of her moronic actions.

• you guys make me sick
    Dec. 15, 2007 2:33 p.m.

Kudos to the D-news for running this story. ITS DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She didnt steal a pack of gum. DUI DUI DUI!!!!! She ran a stop sign while impaired. What if it had of been a red light in a busy intersection? Is it still ok? I dont see her denying anything, so to the posts knocking the law and saying nothing was filed is rediculous. She admitted to being on them. Thank you BYU fans for making us look even more self righteous. I suppose when the football team raped a girl that shouldnt have been news either right? cuz it was never proven??? Well this WAS proven. This IS illegal. Its not some hearsay stuff. You make all members and Cougar fans look terrible with your double standard opinions. Imagine if she hit your child on his/her bike while running that stop sign. What would your opinion be then?
    -BYU Season ticket holder

• Chris
    Dec. 15, 2007 2:26 p.m.

I don't understand the outrage towards the reporter about this particular story. There are hundreds of stories in the Deseret News archives on DUIs for 2007 alone. Many of those stories were filed when the suspect was arrested; why should they have waited until a conviction in this case? Drivers can be as impaired on prescription painkillers as on alcohol; that's why hospitals refuse to let you drive yourself home after treatment if you still have such medications in your system. As for Mrs. Plaisted only being *related* to someone famous, that never stopped BYU fans from attacking Shelley Meyer. (Google her name at CougarBoard, if you don't believe me.)

• truth monger
    Dec. 15, 2007 2:23 p.m.

I guess we should just be glad she wasn't tased.

• re:re::re:mhe
    Dec. 15, 2007 2:05 p.m.

Just helping mhe justify their bigoted position. Anything happens, people say mormons are self-righteous and arrogant.

I figured if that is the position, might as well support them so they can at least feel justified. If you feel LDS are better than you, they probably are.

See, I think your post was arrogant, self-righteous and judgemental, and I think you feel that you are better than all LDS.

As for me, I do live a better life, so don't lecture to me.

• DUI
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:56 p.m.

Definition of DUI: The crime of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including PRESCRIPTION drugs. Complete intoxication is not required; the level of alcohol or drugs in the driver's body must simply be enough to prevent him from thinking clearly or driving safely. State laws specify the levels of blood alcohol content at which a person is presumed to be under the influence.

Had she hit a bus full of missionaries and killed them what would your reaction be then?

• Gary
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:52 p.m.

Im switching over to the Trib. At least I get what I expect from them.

Goodbye forever DMN. You just lost a reader with
    this worthless story.

• cougarkeith
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:34 p.m.

Take it from someone who knows by BAD EXPERIENCE, You can't TRUST the Police, and you can't trust the Legal System Period! All they care about it another "Notch" in their belt. They have taken law enforcement from "Caring" to "Imparing" the public! What happened to the day when you trusted a police man and the department to HELP YOU OUT, when you could answer questions HONESTLY when questioned! NEVER EVER COOPERATE WITHOUT A LAWYER When it comes to the Police! If you dig into the lives of policemen you will find they have just as many or MORE problems as a normal person or family. Especially with CONTROL and Anger problems within the family and with the spouse. That is the fact, but they keep that hidden when fellow police men are called in. By the way, where was the follow-up story on the D.A. lawyer arrested last year for DUI? Never saw it? These things are always swept under the rug and done away with privately. I bet he still works in the Salt Lake County D.A.'s office! When the beam in in someone's eye???

• mark
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:33 p.m.

Deseret Morning News,
    This is the lamest article ever printed.
    Wow. You are risking future interviews from
    one of BYU's biggest basketball stars.
    Nothing has even been charged.
    The report hasnt even been filed.
    Whats next,

"Provo Police patrol car drives slowly past house of BYU player, drugs/violence/and other bad things suspected, Read about it here in the DMN."

DMN, this is a sad day for your spiraling newspaper

• Totally legit article
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:31 p.m.

I too am confused as to why so many apologists are upset with the author and with the DN for publishing this. It must be that BYU fans are wanting to defend their player and his wife, and think if they do anything wrong it shouldn't be reported because it might tarnish BYU's image. AFter all, they think their athletics program is a "missionary tool," so articles like this can't help bring too many into the church.

• Funny, that
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:22 p.m.

KSL breaks the story and Des news runs with it, while the Tribune (so far) has stayed out of it. I was very surprised this was the lead story on the KSL 10 pm news last night. Dick Nourse would have never stood for that. He really knows how to have good time and could have appreciated her dilemna when she had to drive to the drugstore for a refill. I still don't call it news. If she was driving impaired, the case should be handled accordingly. If you drink, don't drive. If you've on narcotic pain meds, the same rules apply. Now, I'm going to pass some judgement. If this was her third ACL tear she was not a newbie to the effects of prescription pain meds.

• Not Hancock
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:11 p.m.

In case you don't know how newspapers work, I'm sure this was not Hancock's decision to write this, or even Harmon's. There had to be some gung-ho editor who gets all hyper over sensational journalism who pushed this through. I'd like to see the Dnews post the editor's name on this comment page who made the decision to make a story out of this. That person deserves the most embarrassment here.

• Points in the paint
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:02 p.m.

Thank you Tim K. Your voice of reason is welcome in this board's dearth of understanding.

To BYU/Plaisted fans: You're people aren't perfect. Quit expecting that when bad things happen to them for it to just be brushed underneath the carpet or for a medium to bury it's ostrich head into the sand in ignorance. This has become news not because of the DUI, alleged, event, but now because of all of your collective furor over it. Congrats. Hope it makes Drudge.

• Painkillers are drugs
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:58 p.m.

I know most of Utah county is on some sort of pain medication, but you are not allowed to drive a car if you are taking them. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS! Get over it Utah County. She drove when she wasn't supposed to and she obviously showed signs of being impaired for a police officer to pull her over. Justifying her actions by saying the "were just painkillers" is just plain stupid. They are classified as Narcotics for a reason.

• Dear Richard Sumsion
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:53 p.m.

Fired? For "outrageous journalism"? Really? Right, what the writer did was so much about life and death, like an air-traffic controller sleeping on the job, or a drug-maker lab scientist fudging chemistry, or ... a cop not catching when a driver is impaired and gets them off the street. Excellent logic. Seems to me this story has, at least on this board, reinforced the fact that driving impaired WHOEVER YOU ARE and WHOEVER YOU ARE MARRIED TO is illegal. But you still want this poor schmuck's head on a platter? What, are you a relative of the Plaisteds, or just a card-carrying season ticket holder? GET.OVER.IT.

• Homer S
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:51 p.m.

OK I get it now. I think we should let BYU fans decide what the D-News should publish. Would it have been news if she would have hit someone in her car? What would have happened if she would have killed someone? Comments attacking the reporter is just plain stupid. I think BYU fans are just mad because he makes the athletic program look bad. This is news because she is married to a star athlete. There is nothing wrong with that. Society puts more scrutiny on public people. Mrs. Plaisted didn't mind being on ESPN during a basketball game. If she didn't want the spotlight, she could avoid it.

I think we should publish all DUIs in the paper. Maybe this epidemic will stop. Hopefully she can bring to light the issue of people who drive with prescription drugs in their system.

• re:re:mhe
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:48 p.m.

Mormons are better than non-Mo's? That is a pretty subjective comment. It's comments like that that make this such headline news. If you preach to live the "better" life, than do it. If you don't and get caught doing something illegal, expect it to be noted.

• Richard Sumsion
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:32 p.m.

Jacob Hancock should be fired for his outrageous journalism. and probably his editor as well if he saw this before publication. The arresting officer can perhaps be excused because the driving might not be distinguishable from alcohol related. But shame, shame on the reporting. DUI means only one thing to the average reader. I have been a lifelong reader of the Deseret News but I expect far better of a paper that I have, until now, always respected.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:25 p.m.

"Quit justifying everything for her"

People aren't justifying DUIs. They're complaining that the Deseret News thinks putting the spotlight on an amateur athlete's wife (of the many DUIs every month) is news worthy.

I agree with the above: "Deseret Enquirer"

• Duh!
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:19 p.m.

Quit justifying everything for her. Whether it was alcohol or prescription medication being taken properly, she still drove under the influence and ran a stop sign. She broke the law. She needs to pay the consequnece. She shouldn't have gotten behind the wheel. Quit playing the martyr cougar fans.

• Deseret Enquirer
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:16 p.m.

Deseret News: You're job is to report the news, not be the news. The story here is not about Lacey, it's about the DN (and KSL) choosing to publish this worthless piece. We're not talking about a college athlete, we're talking about the athlete's wife. His wife?? His wife?? Who cares! Leave family members alone. Lacey Plaisted is not a celebrity. Get off it Deseret Enquirer!

• Deserted News
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:14 p.m.

Major disappointment. As a California Cougar Fan, I am typically excited to read online the Deseret News for the BYU news. This was not necessary. I would be disappointed if Trent gives any more quotes to the Deseret News. I'm going to log in now and bookmark the Salt Lake Tribune site and erase my Deserted News link. Hope to see you over there Trent.

• don't get it
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:09 p.m.

I'm not sure that I understand why everyone is upset. Should she have not been arrested because she was the wife of a BYU athlete? She was arrested for DUI/drug. It is no different than DUI/alcohol. Either one can impair. She was stopped because the officer observed her failing to stop at a stop sign. I would almost guess that the officer didn't have a clue who they were stopping. Clearly her judgment was impaired. Had she harmed your families while DUI I'm sure you would feel different about it. I'm sure they are both very nice people but she made a bad judgment call and it could have affected the lives of others. This kind of stuff is reported all the time where I'm from. It shouldn't matter if they are pros or college athletes, or Joe Blow. We should be grateful that the dangers of DUI/drugs been brought to our attention. If it stops just one person from being hurt, we should thankful. Lacey should acknowledge that she was wrong and encourage all of us to think twice before we make that choice. Maybe it was a slow day for DN, we're all wiser today.

• Tim K.
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:58 a.m.

She is accused of breaking the law. I would hope that the police are doing their job and keeping citizen (a & children) safe from impaired driver (whether lacey or the Van Dykes of the county) Also, this is a story because of who she is married too. They are 'public figures'. If they do not like it, trent can quit b-ball and go work at Pep-boys, problem solved. I doubt he will quit, so everyone calm down and act like reasonable adults. If she is guilty, she will hopefully receive the appropriate punishment and move on with her life. Story over then.

• Jon Ogden
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:50 a.m.

Rude. This article is just plain rude on any level, and there simply was no reason for its being published.

Yes, the DMN owes the Plaisteds an apology.

• Me too!
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:47 a.m.

"I am so glad I am no longer in teh journalism industry."

It's "whomever", and "the", not "teh". Thanks for bowing out of the industry.

• JPC53
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:42 a.m.

By the way, I couldn't find an article about this in the Trib. Kudos to the Deseret News for reporting on one of its own.

• Dear A new low
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:38 a.m.

"Maybe and only maybe if she had been under the influence of alcohol or an illegal drug should this have even been considered for a story."

Re-read before you react. The cop pulled her over for suspicion of DUI. She was booked into jail. Released on bond. Sounds like she did something to warrant all that. Newsworthy? Nah. Oh wait, you're all reading this, so it must be.

• Dear Troubled
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:34 a.m.

When the occasion arises, yes, even journalists are written about in the newspaper for illegal behavior or embarrassing choices. Do some research before you just spout it.

The level of newsworthiness rose when it was discovered as to whom the person was related to. Sorry if you don't like it, that's life. Now go back to reading your latest issue of People magazine or finding articles about Lindsey Lohan's rehab in Provo.

• Re: California Cougar
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:31 a.m.

Having grown up in Pocatello and played basketball with Lacey's brother, I can assure you that they are both LDS (Trent and Lacey). I can also assure you that being or not being LDS is no indicator or precursor for behavior bad or good. It's just a difficult situation that technically falls into a legal gray area. There isn't really a standard 'blood-vicodin level' that can be entered into evidence, and my prediction is she'll be cited for running a stop sign.

• Hey Bo Diddley
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:29 a.m.

Nice attack on the writer's personal life. So am I to assume that by your username you are a washed up, womanizing, alcoholic and abusive has-been musician? Nope. I am not. Neither should you.

Good job, cops. DUIs are not always about alcohol.

• JPC53
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:29 a.m.

I am sorry that this young women has been injured but drivng while under the influence of a narcotic (prescribed or not) is a crime. Driving erractically is a dead give away to the police that something may be wrong. There stories about people being arrested for driving under the influence every dya unfortuneatly there aalso stories everyday about people being killed by people driving under the influence. To "feather in the cap" your comment that because she had been taking this drug her body was used to it so she was not impairedis a load of crap. I used to drink a quart of rum a day and my body was used to it but I sure as hell was impaired when I got behind the wheel. This all boils down to a bunch of people (BYU fans?) not wanting one of their own being charged for making a mistake. I hope her surgey goes well and she won't need to use drugs for pain anymore. It's a first offense so she will get a slap on the wrist (as most first time offenders do). Just remember that Utah is the number one state for prescription drug abuse.

• Ridiculous
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:23 a.m.

Sensationalism at its best. That headline is so misleading. The writers, editor, copy editor, whoever - You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I am so glad I am no longer in teh journalism industry. What a joke....

• Bookish
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:22 a.m.

The Deseret Boring News has one too many bored reporters. This would be an absolute non-story if it were the wife of a Utah State, Weber State, or UVU player.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:22 a.m.

Contrary to many of your comments, folks, driving while on prescription pain killers IS a crime. It does not matter if you are accustomed to the drug. Take this as a lesson and don't do it.

• As low as CNN
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:06 a.m.

Where is a shred of integrity in this article? I would give more credibility to Lacey than to the officer or reporter of this article, and I don't know any of them! Especially the arresting officers comment on the "six pack".

• Dear Steve
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:05 a.m.

"Have you ever taken a cold medication or pain killer and then driven somewhere? Who hasn't?"

Me. I tend to read the label on any medication I take and avoid "operating heavy machinery" (like a car) or whatever it says. In the event I plow into someone IMPAIRED! Kudos for the cop getting her off the street.

• A new low
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:03 a.m.

I am ashamed that the DMN would post this story. Naturally, taking heavy pain killers and driving is wrong as the warning labels indicate, but trying to slander someone for something that was likely an honest mistake is even more wrong. Maybe and only maybe if she had been under the influence of alcohol or an illegal drug should this have even been considered for a story. Let the Plaisted's handle this problem without being humiliated by the media. DMN should post a public apology to the Plaisted family. Shame on you DMN for allowing such muckraking to go on in your paper. You lose credibility with things like this.

• If someone died
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:02 a.m.

She should not have been driving if she was taking pain killers, PERIOD. She is lucky she didn't kill anyone.

• I bet....
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:01 a.m.

I bet she was on meds when she married Trent too! She is very good looking...

• Pathetic...
    Dec. 15, 2007 11:00 a.m.

You guys are unreal. Because its Trent Plaisteds wife you are all going to defend her??? She was doing something ILLEGAL!!!! My friend was busted for the same thing and guess what... the next day there was an article in the standards examiner about it with his name. He wasnt a celebrity and he was taking zanax, much less controlling than a poin killer. She should be on here, look at all the other articles on people for smaller stuff than this on here everyday, do you defend them? no, but because its Trents wife you do? Typical double standards

• Rush Limbaugh
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:58 a.m.

It is not a crime to use painkillers.

• Really? How sad
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:55 a.m.

"These are the types of things that make me occasionally embarrassed to be a part of the Utah Valley community. Shame on Hancock, Harmon and DMN."

A newspaper makes you embarrassed? A story in the newspaper makes you embarrassed? That's very telling. What, are you related to the writer? Or editor? Or you work for the paper? Because then, maybe. But if not, wow. Sad.

• Utah drivers
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:54 a.m.

Every time I travel to Utah, I see drivers swerving all over the road. I think its either a bad driver's ed program or maybe they are looking at the mountains or something.

Where I stay, if you take your eye off of the road, you could be down a 30 foot embankment right into a tree.

Its not the drugs, its a bad drivers ed system.

• Troubled part2
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:50 a.m.

The thing that troubles me is that if a member of Jacob Hancock's family was arrested for the same offense, WOULD HE WRITE A STORY ON THEM? WOULD THE D-NEWS CONSIDER WRITING ABOUT "THE WIFE OF A D-NEWS REPORTER WAS ARRESTED IN A DUI PROBE?" I THINK NOT.

Maybe the D-News and it's editorial staff should more carefully consider the level of which they will consider who qualifies as news worthy.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:50 a.m.

why is everyone arguing as if this is unique to Utah...driving under the influence of medication whether or not its legally prescribed is still illegal. Ever read the warning label saying should not operate a motor vehicle or heavy machinery while on this medication on the bottle? If it was affecting her driving she should be arrested, the only reason this should be unique to Utah is because Utah is the number one abuser of prescription medicine and honestly I'm shocked and some what bothered that more people aren't being arrested for this because it can become a huge problem.

• Dude ... I'm so
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:49 a.m.

... Plaisted. ;-)

• Troubled part 1
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:49 a.m.

This article troubles me.
    The officer did the right thing pulling over someone whom they thought was a problem on the road. Someone who is even the slightest impaired should not be driving, and potentially hurt themselves or others. Good job to our alert law enforcement! Thank you for keeping us safe.

However, what troubles me is the sensationalism of the article. The reporter, Jacob Hancock, found a name he recognized and decided to run with the story - even if the name he found is the wife - not the player. Mr. Hancock and his editors have every right to print any story they want if they have the facts, no matter the consequences. Sadly, now Trent and his wife be suffering the consequences.

• 2nd rate journalism
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:48 a.m.

Now this is Purlitzer Prize material. I fear that in the effort to never appear to give preferential treatment to BYU the D-News look for ways to demonstrate their "toughness". In doing so, all that happens is the D-News looks stupid and they give credence to the perception that they are the 2nd string paper. Does Dean Singleton (SLTrib) have higher publication standards than the D-News?

News tip.. I saw 3 BYU students drinking non-caffiene free Pepsi yesterday. Front page material!

This will not help circulation!

• California Cougar
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:43 a.m.

I understand that they are not members of the LDS church. This is not a "Mormon" issue. Its a bad article and terrible commentary.

• Off topic
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:40 a.m.

Shame on DMN! at 10:30 a.m. said: ... "Targeting a collegiate athlete's wife?? And what exactly has she CONVICTED off??" ...

This comment is off topic and should be removed. Nowhere in the story does it say police, the city of Springville, the DMN, the writer, Ute fans, neighbors, business or civic leaders, truck drivers, rock stars OR ANYONE ELSE was "targeting" this woman or that she was "CONVICTED".

My on topic comment: Good reporting, I would want to know if there are people in my neighborhood driving around on painers so that I can be more aware of it and avoid being outside. In fact, cancel my subscription, too--to the human race! hahaha

• Disgusting Journalism
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:35 a.m.

Truly disappointing on so many levels... I hope Trent refuses to address the DMN media for the rest of the year.

• Steve
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:34 a.m.

Disgusting piece of sensationalism designed to do nothing more than get a headline at the expense of a nice kid. What she did was something most people have likely done before. Have you ever taken a cold medication or pain killer and then driven somewhere? Who hasn't? This would be a story if she had been drinking or was abusing drugs illegally but this? Shame on the paper, the editor, the writer and anybody else involved in this hatchet piece. Total trash.

• Shame on DMN!
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:30 a.m.

I am going to cancel my subscription on Monday morning. This article is pathetic. Targeting a collegiate athlete's wife?? And what exactly has she CONVICTED off?? nothing. These are the types of things that make me occasionally embarrassed to be a part of the Utah Valley community. Shame on Hancock, Harmon and DMN.

• Don't worry Plaisteds
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:30 a.m.

Trent and Lacey, no need to think this story makes you look bad. It's obvious that the only one who looks foolish here is the paper for writing such a ridiculous story. Everyone can see that. So Plaisteds, hold your head up high.

• Whiners, please shut it
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:27 a.m.

Are you kidding me? Last I checked, this story was about someone driving under the influence (allegedly, of pain killers) who just happened to be the wife of a BYU athlete. OH NO! you all are clamoring, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING, NOT TO OUR CHOSEN PLAYERS! If you're little lives are so predicated on the unfortunate choices made by someone else (and it was pretty stupid to be driving on vicodan, or whatever is was, which is against the law when causing impairment, again, the story), well, that's just sad. Reporters on the cop beat scan court dockets, police logs and any other PUBLIC documents for their beat. It's their job. Or they get a tip from someone. Maybe next week it will be about Brian Johnson's mother. Will that make you all happy and restore your testimonies? Give me a break.

• Embarassing
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:21 a.m.

The Dnews editor who pushed to make this a big story, like she's a hardened criminal, made an embarrassing decision for the paper. There should never have been a story written on this period, yet alone a lengthy one like this. Honestly, it's very sad and pathetic that the editors don't have better judgment than this.

• Huh?
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:12 a.m.

I believe his name is Hancock, and um, he's doing his job, reporting on police matters of interest for the newspaper. Sorry it happened to be about some BYU player's wife. Grow up.

• RockOn
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:04 a.m.

Necessary story. Important too. If they had NOT reported it as many of you are saying they should not have done, then the story would have come out that it was being "McMahnoned" or covered up.

Lacey enjoyed -- and so did we -- the coverage she got on ESPN with Dicky V. With such positive coverage comes the flip side when something happens. Trent is now a national story as is his wife. Welcome to Celebrity-ville.

Lacey sounds like a wonderful woman and my estimation of Trent has risen. Don't bash the D-News and all the other outlets just for doing their job.

The Plaisteds will be fine. Nothing reported is injurious. In fact, only the sheriff looks petty. Simply pulling her over for erratic behavior and helping her out would have been enough.

• Whoa Nellie
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:02 a.m.

to mhe:
    Don't try thinking again. You're a failure at it. If you can't provide any valid comment just shut up because you will once again reveal how moroic you really are. If you feel the need to display your ingnorance do it on the Salt Lake Tribune's site because your comments will totally fit in with all the other worthless posters there.

• Steve Smith
    Dec. 15, 2007 10:00 a.m.

I'm starting to have scond thoughts about visiting Utah again. Your cops have gone berserk. Taser some one for no good reason. Stop another for taking medication. Hope I don't get a cold if I come back cause if I take some cough medicine I might get life. No wonder so much of the U.S. of A. population is in the slammer!

• AZ Dave
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:55 a.m.

only in utah

• Bo Diddley
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:47 a.m.

Wow. Just wow. Pretty sleezy journalism here Jacob. I wonder how your wife (yes, I realize this may be a hypothetical here...maybe even likely one) would feel if she was abused by the local media in being singled out just because she's married to someone famous.

Deseret News, this is really tabloid reporting. Since I don't read tabloids, I guess I'm not going to read the Deseret News for quite a while. Maybe it's just a personal problem that I have in holding grudges for so long, but whatever money you were making off of my readership is now going to go elsewhere. You can change all that if you print an apology to her for abusing her to make money.

• Stop complaining
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:47 a.m.

For everyone who is saying this is not news-worthy, take a look and you'll see you've contributed to making this the #2 most viewed story. So there you have it - as long as stuff like this is going to be the #2 most viewed story, how can you blame the DN for giving its readers what they want? Thanks for reporting on this, DN! Until we collectively stop caring about crap like this, my guess is that such "news" will be reported. These guys are out to sell papers, after all, and this stuff obviously is selling.

• wow
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:47 a.m.

• WOW - Media Jokers
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:43 a.m.

I saw the news on KSL last night realizing why they were reporting this silly news. I worried sick if Deseret News going to do the same. Do Medias get paid for reading our comments. Get a life you jokers and hope the Plaisted will just move on with better life. Play well Trent and let the past go :)

• Mark Whitney
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:42 a.m.

If the practice is to print it when convicted of driving under the influence of a drug, then print it when convicted. I doubt the practice is to print it when arrested. Looks like the only reason this got published [with her photo also] is because she is the wife of a BYU Athlete. She is presumed innocent until proven guilty. She is NOT a public figure by virtue of her being married to a student athlete. I am waiting for an article about the writer which unnecessarily exposes the writer to public examination. If not for the fact she is married to a player, no one would read this ridiculous article. How about an article which explains that driving under the influence of a prescription drug is a crime. No need to defame the person who was arrested. So we all know that Trent's wife got booked, had her mug shot taken etc. How nice that we know that. Get a life. Or better yet, get another job.

• re:mhe
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:38 a.m.

Mormons do not "act" self righteous.

They are really just better than you.

• DUI -- A Profit Center
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:35 a.m.

I recently recieved a DUI for for driving while haveing a bad reaction to a prescription medication, was not warned by the druggist or Dr. because, while this reaction can happen, it is very rare.

I paid my fine, did my jail time, community service, probation and took classes with drinkers, drug addicts, meth addicts and lost my license. My insurance is now sky high.

It is a huge financial burden, and all my Dr. could say was "wow".

What was interesting is that while I was going through this, so many people I knew, and would have never even guessed, admitted that they and others had recieved DUI's for the sme reason. The penalties are high, and you are are pretty much forced to "plea out" or risk huge fines and serious jail times. I'm sure the honest way out is to fight it, but the risk is too great.

I for one am happy they published this article. Maybe people will wake up and realize this is how our state makes a "great" deal of money, going after professional people responsible enough to clear things up, instead of trying to chase down homless junkies.

There's Money in it.

• BOO Deseret News
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:32 a.m.

for writing this story. C'mon guys, you can have more class than that!

• disappointed in article
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:29 a.m.

Shame on you and the Deseret News! I personally know Lacey. She is one of the kindest and most genuine people I know. Of course, she shouldn't have been driving on her knee medication, but your article was borderline slander. Come on, DUI probe? Was that really a necessary headline? It's articles like this that make me ashamed for my profession. I have enjoyed reading the Deseret News for years and this article does not fit well with it's fine reputation.

• Kate
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:22 a.m.

This is an embarrassment to the Provo community. Oh no, not the wife of the BYU player. I mean this article. It is shameful and was only written to stain the name of these good people. Shame on you!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:13 a.m.

This is a RIDICULOUS STORY.. I agree with all others here that its not news and just sensational journalism.

what a JOKE -

• russ
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:11 a.m.

3 surgeries on a knee? Get a new surgeon. Try Dr. Looby at the Orthopedic Institute in Sioux Falls. His professionalism is the highest, and you will find out the true nature of your problem.
    By the way, you are on workman's comp? You should have a counselor helping you. Injury at work, have workman's comp help you out.

• mhe
    Dec. 15, 2007 9:06 a.m.

I think the reason why mormons get much media attention for mistakes made is because they act self rightous.

• Disappointed
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:49 a.m.

check that, Mr. Harmon (contributor) AND Mr. Hancock (author)... pathetic.

• Max
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:44 a.m.

Shame on you! This is not news! This could happen to any of us. Do you folks like ruining the lives of wonderful people. I don't know the Plasisted personally and I am not a BYU fan, but this kind of reporting makes me sick. You reporters need to get a life! I would expect better from the Deseret News.

• Who cares?
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:40 a.m.

Unless it is an actual player, I could care less. Just because Dick Vitale has a crush on her, doesn't mean she needs to get all this attention. What she did was wrong (driving while impaired) but don't give her the same media attention a player would.

• Disappointed
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:38 a.m.

Mr. Harmon, Is this really necessary??! Let me be the first to comment (and I'm sure there will be others that follow) that publicly smearing the wife of a collegiate athlete like this is totally inappropriate. It's a non event. Give me a break. Pathetic. I hope Trent never takes an interview from you.

• Give me a break
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:33 a.m.

Mr. Harmon.
    I usually enjoy your columns but this one is ridiculous.
    Yes, you can put some blame on the Plaisted's for even talking to the media and letting the media have an opportunity to make it into a "story" but you have to be kidding me that you got off your comfy chair at home to drive down to Provo so you could write this story that, if it happened to you, you wouldn't want anyone to know about because it's NOBODY'S BUSINESS!
    The girl made a big mistake, yes. But just because she's the wife of a BYU player is just sick of you to go and make money off of it.
    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'm absolutely sick and tired of the media making "stories" out of things that can totally destroy people and you can sit back and get readers and advertizers to pay for your disrespectful acts.
    Was there no GOOD news going on in the city to report? I guess not, cause no one ever looks for it. nor does it make any money anymore

• CBU
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:24 a.m.

This is a fair warning to all of us. We need to heed the warning: "Do not operate heavy machinery while using this drug"

• Erik
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:14 a.m.

To say that taking vicodin (I assume that is the narcotic) is similar to a six pack of beer is just wrong. I could understand that if she were on morphine at like 8-10 mg and were gorked out. Sometimes officers try to play pathologist and cause a lot more harm than good. They aren't trained physicians in any sense of the word.

• Taylor. C
    Dec. 15, 2007 8:00 a.m.

Knee pain is terrible! I don't think the joint was designed to put up with the kind of abuse we give it by running and playing sports.
    I wish the best for Lacey in this challenge. It's too early to draw any assumptions about her guilt or the circumstances of this incident. Let's have some sympathy.

• Matthew Nelson Dallas, Tx
    Dec. 15, 2007 7:51 a.m.

Brand new low for Utah media and the Deseret News, who are always head hunting BYU athletes for mud dragging news. Now they are going after spouses.

This is a crime that is committed so many times through out the state, but its now big news because it affects a BYU athlete? Grow up deseret news and I hope you lose some media credentials from BYU because of this, and you should. This is disgusting.

• Y
    Dec. 15, 2007 7:45 a.m.

This is a smear campaign and she's been singled out because of her husband. I hope that Trent Plaistead stops giving interviews and comments to the Deseret News.

• Cosmo
    Dec. 15, 2007 7:16 a.m.

DMN - Did you really need to print this? This is not news and really borders on gossip and character assassination.

• AZ Cougar
    Dec. 15, 2007 7:04 a.m.

Jacob Hancock and DN
    Thank you for bringing this important story to our attention. The Ute fans were running out of things to mock at BYU. When I saw your headline I immediately had to see which BYU player was drunk next to her in the car. Because of your inCITEful investigative reporting and attention-grabbing headline, Mrs. Plaisted and her husband can be smeared in public for the rest of his BYU career. We are in your debt.

Seriously, do you reporters get some kind of bonus for inventing headlines that will be in the top-10 most popular stories of the day? This story did not deserve to make the Springville Green Sheet.

• What?
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:53 a.m.

This is news?

• james stowe
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:50 a.m.

Are you saying her name is changing to Lacey Plastered?

• gckenad
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:18 a.m.

Is this really necessary to put in the paper and on-line? Where is the story? Just an attempt to embarrass someone?

• Why
    Dec. 15, 2007 6:02 a.m.

Why is this unsustained allegation being reported at this point with the headline itself being misleading? It borders on "slander" in the legal context of that word.

• Disappointed
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:16 a.m.

And this is journalism because ....? And this is newsworthy because ....? If Mr. Hancock does not have anything better to do, perhaps he could moonlight for the National Enquirer.

Dec. 15, 2007 2:37 a.m.

• Reuel Jones
    Dec. 15, 2007 2:08 a.m.

Talk about a non story. She is very pretty though, and has a nice smile. Not your typical mug shot.

• feather in the cap
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:45 a.m.

What a feather in this officer's cap to "arrest" Trest Plaisted's wife. You can bet that she would have been given a ticket for failure to stop, and let go if she hadn't been Lacey Plaisted. But, she was and this officer saw a chance to "arrest" her and WHOOEEE charge her with DUI. What a travesty.

I'm sorry she was hurt. I'm sorry she happened to be driving on a painkiller. She shouldn't have been probably. But, if she was accustomed to having a "drug" in her system she wouldn't have been impaired. Because she wasn't she didn't know how she would respond. She had one drug. A legally prescribed medication, for an injury. Why ruin her life, and cause problems for Trent, just to make this "FEMALE" officer look tough on DUI. What a travesty. What a joke. Was it also because she is a BYU student.

I think maybe the department should be sued. I'm offering to help you Lacey. Be in touch.

• dj
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:44 a.m.

Fortunately she didn't plow into a minivan full of kids!

• Unfortunate
    Dec. 15, 2007 1:12 a.m.

I think that publishing a story about this is nothing more than sensationalism. How does she ever live this down? Let the officer finish his paperwork and the city officials make a decision before she is paraded around in public.