Sports

UCLA interested in Bronco

Ex-Cougars Walker and Chow listed as UCLA candidates

Comments

• National
    Dec. 19, 2007 4:07 p.m.

Hold on there, funny, I didn't know that ESPN was owned by Utahns? Or Cougar fans for that matter. I watched a story on ESPN about UCLA looking at hiring coach Mendenhall. Perhaps YOU need to come out of the "UTah" bubble and see just how great a place we have here.

• Annonymous
    Dec. 17, 2007 6:29 p.m.

Did you know that Jan Jorgensen's dad, Jeff played for U.C.L.A.? He had hated BYU with all his might untill... JAN JORGENSEN arrived! Dick, this might be interesting. I once e-mailed you about it but forgot to give you his number on time! E-mail me and I will try to give you the number in time this time! Christian Bryner

• Funny
    Dec. 16, 2007 4:53 p.m.

Thanks for the humor. It gave me a good laugh. BYU hasn't even been contacted by UCLA. It's just another rumor that the Utah Faithful wish was true. UCLA won't be bringin Bronco in. They have a large number of really good coaches to pick from. THey have a lot of backing. It isn't even news in L.A.
    Now come on everyone, look out of the UTah bubble and see what the rest of the world is like. Until another undiscovered coach like Urban Meyer comes to town (which isn't likely to happen again), neither team will be a BCS buster. They are both good teams to watch. They both have great players, but neither team is a first tier team. They are both second rate teams with second rate coaches.

• Entertained
    Dec. 15, 2007 7:35 a.m.

Reading sports fans' comments is really a pleasant diversion. It is kind of like watching Road Runner cartoons--people blowing each other up, dropping anvils on each others heads while mugging for the cameras....

• The Cougar
    Dec. 15, 2007 5:50 a.m.

I wish the Utah papers wrote more stories about U of U football...

In fact, Bronco's offer isn't that great at all... Tooele High is in talks with Whittingham right now.

Utah fans need something to post about. Please write more articles about their team.. they are little brother...

I mean... Don't Mormons believe that Jesus' school is brothers with satan's school?

• 84 - farce
    Dec. 14, 2007 2:41 p.m.

Just in.... "no this just in" is a little sensitive about the age of Bronco's recruits or the 1984 joke of a championship.

• Graduates
    Dec. 14, 2007 12:25 p.m.

"utes rule" and "I agree" both graduated from the U!

• no this just in
    Dec. 14, 2007 12:20 p.m.

If you start your comment off with "Just in"

you're a farce

• I agree
    Dec. 14, 2007 12:18 p.m.

I agre with "utes rule" al ByU fans say is are school is better. so take that u bYu fan peopel.

• 84 - farce
    Dec. 14, 2007 12:07 p.m.

Just in..... Three 8th grade verbal commits to Bronco have changed their minds. Watch the Jr. high school recruits start dropping off the Y's list of future players. Ah... 6th grade phenom drops his verbal commit to byu to look at further jr. high school teams.

• utes rule
    Dec. 14, 2007 12:00 p.m.

all byu u fans all think is that we are the lords school so he will help us win to day but that is not going to happen the lord is not a football fan so quite praying for victorys every game day and by the way go utes beat navey

• Logic
    Dec. 14, 2007 11:25 a.m.

Backward logic:

BYU beat my team and BYU won the conference: therefore, I will tear down my own conference, rip on the team that beat me, make fun of their coach, joke about their bowl, downplay all their accomplishment, and then maybe I will feel better about my terrible team.

I think its funny, if you had a real team you could fill up the time with praise and compliments but obviously you don't!

Bring on the negative BYU comments, come on, I know they are comming...

• Day in the life...
    Dec. 14, 2007 11:20 a.m.

Typical Ute fan day,

Wake up, read an article on BYU, write a negative comment on BYU, tell a joke about BYU, call a radio station and complain about BYU...

I guess that is what you do when you suck.

• Utes fans
    Dec. 14, 2007 11:18 a.m.

Utes,

You guys are like bacteria appearing in places where nobody wants you.

Your team is terrible, .500 in conference the last three years so now all you can do is bag and hate on BYU-just like the good old days!

• anonymous
    Dec. 14, 2007 6:05 a.m.

I am a Ute fan, but my gut tells me Bronco will stay in Provo. I remember Coach Edwards being courted by Stanford...and how all the Faithful in Utah county were wringing their hands. The same thing happened in SLC with Jerry Pimm (USC) and Rick Majerus(USC, Notre-Dame, ASU...) in b-ball. The only thing I would be concerned about if I were Bronco is the boomerang effect of fanaticism. National Championship in two years is very improbable. BCS very do-able if the system survives in the next few years. The pendulum ALWAYS swings in the opposite direction and expectations impart momentum to it in proportion. Late 90's to retirement with Lavell suffering through four and five loss seasons, fans were saying the game has passed him by...and they rode Chow out town on a rail. The pendulum would have swung on the Hill for Urban also (as it did for McBride). The Hill (dual meaning here) is much less forgiving. It is unfortunately all about the money. The fan base at the U is fair weather. I offer postings in this forum throughout the season as evidence of that.

• Bronco $'s more than Kyle $'s
    Dec. 14, 2007 2:46 a.m.

Kyle did initially make more than Bronco when they both started coaching at Utah and BYU. However, Bronco's contract has been reworked since that time and it's been estimated that his contract is comparable to Gary Patterson's at TCU which is $972K per year. It would seem to make sense that BYU would see that Bronco is paid near the top of the conference coaches as long as the Cougars keep winning the conference. Kyle's a great coach- we like him! It's nice to have a Cougar at the helm of the Ute ship!

If Bronco were to go, I wonder if BYU would pursue Andy Reid? I think Andy was the number one choice to replace LaVell but things were going great with the Eagles at the time. Of course, I'm not sure BYU is ready to shell out "Andy Reid type of $'s" for any football coach.

My personal hope is that both Bronco and Kyle stay with their current programs for the next 20 plus years. I can get used to BYU winning championships and Utah still being successful and placing second each year. Both teams just need to get to better bowl games.

• dj
    Dec. 14, 2007 2:40 a.m.

Nevada Coug: Are you trying to tell me BYU wouldn't be in the title game this year if they were undefeated? Your crazy!! (with all due respect).

• to Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:36 p.m.

You make some good comments but you are wrong on one point. When Bronco was hired, Chow could have had that job. But he made it clear he didn't want to return to BYU so he was never considered. He was asked his opinion and they moved on. Even now he wouldn't come back. Personally I hope Chow returns to the college ranks and gets the UCLA job. He's another LDS/BYU alum I can support, except when he's playing BYU. These developments, BYU alum doing well elsewhere, only help BYU and further the influence of the program. UCLA, make a good move and hire Chow (and leave Bronco where he is).

• BYU Die Hard
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:36 p.m.

I'm afraid that Bronco might go. We can get someone like Chow to come in and really help the program. Bronco is now making more money than Whit with his recent raise. I also have to admit that the Ute 04 team would probably beat our 84 BYU team. The system was just different in 84. We should try and take the high road and not always think that we are better than the Utes. We were lucky to win this last game with some breaks we got and to think otherwise is blind faith.

• Another UTE fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:18 p.m.

But I sure wouldn't mind seeing him scidaddle for Westwood!

• Ute fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:31 p.m.

Bronco Mendenhall would be stupid to even think about leaving BYU.

• Re: Bronco's salary
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:26 p.m.

You can't buy everything in this world with money. lol.

• Yeah Right....
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:18 p.m.

Bronco would never go to UCLA. Thats why he wouldn't even comment or flatter that idea. Its a waste of his time to give it any consideration. Bronco's inspirational approach is too good of a fit with BYU. We can expect him around for a long time. But I guess these things are fun to talk about. Ha.

• Chuckers
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:16 p.m.

Are the 49ers happy with their coach this year?

Smith will outlast him. Players always do.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:02 p.m.

If Whittingham is making more than Bronco, the Utes are getting the short end of the stick.

I get tired of BYU always getting the best of us.

• Chuck
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:45 p.m.

Did anyone else see the 49ers coach say Alex Smith has been "disappointing?" I wonder if they still would take him number one? It makes you ask if Tim Tebow turns out the same way.

• NevadaCoug
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:42 p.m.

As for Bronco, I think he would be a fool to give up what he has at BYU. He's where he can run a program his way. He loses that at UCLA. He gets paid enough. Why pass up a good thing for a few more dollars? He'd probably lose a lot of that in increased cost of living anyway.

• NevadaCoug
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:40 p.m.

BYU has zero chance to win a "national championship" next year. First, there is no longer any such thing. Instead, they name a BCS champion, and try and imply that it is a "national" champion. Second, no team outside the BCS will EVER get selected for the "title" game, unless they go undefeated, play one of the top 10 toughest schedules in football, and everybody else has at least 2 losses. Since it is impossible for any team outside the BCS to crack the top 10 in schedule difficulty, no "title" game selection for BYU or anybody else.

If Utah couldn't make it to the title game a couple of years ago, no non-BCS team can. The only team that had as much or more of a claim to challenge USC than Utah was Auburn, and neither one was selected. It's all a farce.

• I'm just a kid
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:36 p.m.

I'm a big BYU fan, and I don't think Bronco will go to UClA for more money.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:29 p.m.

DJ: Oh how you are wrong with this being the biggest means of missionary work. Ask President Hinckley what he thinks of that?

• dj
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:15 p.m.

BYU has all the money they need to pay Bronco. A strong sports program at BYU brings more attention to the university and the LDS church than any other medium or missionary method. Forget the pass-along cards and TV ads....pay Bronco whatever he wants!!

• BYU FANS
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:12 p.m.

I love how you BYU fans have somehow turned this article about BYU, UCLA and Bronco Mendenhall and the recent coaching vacancy into more of a Utah vs. BYU rivalry in some aspects. Do you all have a false sense of security there in the Provo bubble?

Anyhow, I have read some pretty respectable posts by Utah fans. But they get twisted and turned into a bash session. Didn't they teach you at BYU to love one another and to turn the other cheek? Hmmmm, how easily you forget, yet you wonder why nobody can stand you. Go figure.

By the way who are Yoots and the Yewts?

As far as Bronco goes, he is a great coach and will be successful no matter where he goes. Good luck to him.

GO UTES!!!!!!!!!!

• don't go Bronco
    Dec. 13, 2007 5:57 p.m.

Bronco is not leaving. When he came to us, BYU has become a much better team. coming into 2007 Bronco had to replace 1 QB 2 TE's 3 WR's 2 OL and the all time leading rusher for BYU. lets see some other coach replace that much players and become champions. If Bronco stays he can do so much more to BYU.

• Funny!!!
    Dec. 13, 2007 5:51 p.m.

You byu fans are funny! one guy says that he would leave because of recruiting for a lack of tv exposure. Another says byu has a better chance of winning a national championship then UCLA. Another thinks he's staying because this is his calling. FUNNY!!! and spelling ute yewt is that your parents hard earned education money you wasted, byu must be proud to have you for a fan.

• yewt fans/BYU haters
    Dec. 13, 2007 4:28 p.m.

It never fails to amaze me that a BYU article can bring out so many BYU-hating yewts and have them spew their venom in huge hissing fits. I just have to shake my head and wonder how they treat their wives and kids?? Merry Christmas.

• Bronco aint done yet!!!
    Dec. 13, 2007 4:15 p.m.

I just hope that he doesn't go to UCLA for more money! Ever notice that Jerry Sloan + LaVell Edwards kindof look like Brother Mendenhall?? They both ALWAYS frown. Google images it its true!

• TheHailstorm
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:54 p.m.

Take him , Take him ! I can't stand the hypocritical , self serving egotist. Take him please !

• Bronco's Salary
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:49 p.m.

Whittingham makes $672,000 a year and Mendenhall makes less than that because Whittingham went with more money at the U of U.

• Harline is still open, 4th & 18
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:37 p.m.

How come the Utes started to talk big again. You will say anything to undermine BYU, even after we won. I doubt Bronco would take the UCLA job anyway.

• RE: RE: Bronco's here to stay
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:35 p.m.

RE: RE: Bronco's here to stay - Amen to that man!

• Coaching is not a calling!!!
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:25 p.m.

Hey Byu fans:

I am sick that some of you seem to think that the byu football coach is a calling from the heavens; that it is Bronco's calling in life to restore byu football to national prominance. IT IS A JOB. NOTHING MORE THAN THAT! HE HAS NO OBLIGATION TO STAY.

I hope Mendenall gets offered a huge contract elsewhere to prove to all of you that his loyalty is no different that Petrino's was to the Atlanta Falcons.

• Hey BluieBluie - 5-600K??
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:19 p.m.

right after you chastise others for mentioning money... you go ahead and do it yourself? And then without citing any sources?

here is a source for you... OK?

• BYU Football Team
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:15 p.m.

Bronco, go to UCLA and we will transfer to UCLA with you. We like the honnor code at UCLA better than the one in Provo.

• Utes Crack Me Up!
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:13 p.m.

First they say "quit livin' in the past." The Cougars won a national championship in 1984 (the past) but the Utes can only remind us of a bowl victory that took place three years ago - I believe that is "the past" also?? I think "national championships" generally put a program on the "national map" more than winning a BCS bowl game. But, if Utes beg to differ, then I'll try to "play the game" in the way that they understand it - was BYU's march to the "elite eight" more impressive than Utah's playing for the NCAA championship in basketball?

It's Bronco, and the other BYU sports that give the MWC any credibility at all on a consistent basis. It's apparent by the following the cougars have on a national basis? (How are those ticket sales going for the Utah bowl game this year?)

Not worried about the future of Ute football? When you have no future (or present, as a matter of fact) then there is nothing to worry about!! But... at least you can always go back to "livin' in the past!"

• Not wanting Chow
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:06 p.m.

Typical BYU comment. You can have Chow - we didn't want him anyway. Same with all the recruits that go to other programs. "He wouldn't have played. . ." "He doesn't fit our high moral standard. . ." "We didn't want him anyway. . ."
    Additionally, Cougar fans have an over-inflated estimation of the "Mormon factor." Reality check - Mormons make up less than 2% of the US population and not all Mormons care about BYU.

• UCLA to Pay Bronco big $$?
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:58 p.m.

I'm sure Bronco is making near 900K at BYU. It's not about the money for Bronco... he has said he still lives much the same way he did back in college. I'd be surprised if he left BYU for 1.2 million.

And to the person that said he had the opportunity to make 10 times as much at UCLA - $9 million? I don't think so. If that were true, they wouldn't be talking to Bronco... they would go straight to Bill Belichick and he would leave the Patriots in the middle of the night just like the Atlanta Falcon's coach did.

Bronco is a good coach... but he isn't a $9 million a year good coach - Nobody is!

• Re: Bronco's here to stay
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:36 p.m.

LOL. I love it. It makes me laugh at those that think Bronco's success is due to his "spiritual leadership."

Bronco wants all the fans to think that his players are just little angels. All the old lady byu fans must be giddy when they here him talk.

All you have to do is sit behind byu's bench for a game to realize that its players aren't much different than those at any other school.

The only reason Bronco was given a contract extension is because he wins games! It has nothing to do with his "spritual leadership." Crowton would still be there had he won games. Byu is no different than any place else in that winning is the bottom line.

• BluieBluie
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:28 p.m.

To STOP MENTIONING MONEY! In all fairness, where did you read that Bronco makes around a Million Dollars? The only report that I have read was from an internet article from some site that I had never seen before that did not cite any sources and seemed to lack credibility. If you can find some source, I would be willing to believe you.

That being said, I would have to think that he makes less than Whitt because (as we have all established) Whitt was offered more at Utah which is why he took the Utah job. NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING. Furthermore, those that would argue that the extension contained his raise: By my calculations, Bronco's extension would have had to have more than doubled his salary and considering when it was given, BYU had no reason to think that he was looking for more money elsewhere, I HIGHLY doubt that BYU would have done that. It just doesn't make sense.

Any published reports citing credible authority can prove me wrong, but I think Bronco makes about 5-600k and I am happy about it.

• Reality Police
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:15 p.m.

To Family Situation:

Thanks man ... I'm still laughing.

• Oh goodness
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:03 p.m.

It's not always about money. Why does everyone think that. Being coach at a great program will mean more for Coach Mendenhall than any stupid dollar and cents amount that anyone will offer him. He is already paid well enough, most coaches are compared to the average person. So for him to give away the potential for making BYU a great program again for dead presidents on paper is just stupid. I wish more people would realize there are far more valuable things in this world than dollars and cents, and Bronco has already turned down several other coaching jobs for that reason.

• cougarkeith (utahkeith)
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:53 p.m.

Bronco is a man of integrity, I see him sticking around BYU for a while. I don't think he will Bale on us quite yet. Give him a couple more years, then if BYU doesn't do something we won't be able to blame him. I think Bronco has the integrity and the Faith to know that he is called here to re-build this program into something special again, and he will bring us out of the depths of obscurity from the Mountain West Hidden Television Network and into National Prominence in perhaps the Big XII or Pac 10 or a New Conference. Relax Cougar Fans, he isn't going anywhere for another year or three.

• Re: Gene
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:41 p.m.

I agree that the Big 10 is overrated. However, it still is head and shoulders above the MWC. I know you want byu-provo's MWC championships to mean something but until you do something on a National level no one cares about the MWC titles.

Let's not knock Utah. It is the only one that has put the MWC on the national map in any sport because when it wins the conference it does something on a national scale to prove that it means something. In basketball it has actually won NCAA tournament games and it is the only team in football to get to a bowl game that brings some recognition.

• STOP MENTIONING MONEY!
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:35 p.m.

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME! You make it sound like Bronco is doing charity work at the food bank because he's a coach at BYU. In reality, he ALREADY MAKES around a MILLION DOLLARS a year! While it's true that in his final seasons Lavell's base salary hovered just above $125k, things have changed since then, and Bronco's current salary is actually quite competitive. So stop saying things like, "Oooooh!, UCLA might dangle a...drumroll, please...$1.2 million carrot!," while expecting us to tremble with fear at such an *apparently* impressive number. Such comments only draw attention to your complete ignorance of the facts.

• RE: Gene...easy pal!
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:35 p.m.

Gene: Talk about living the past....why do you Cougar fans always talk about the 84' game. That is much further in the past than the 04' season is for the Utes. Bottome line is the past is the past, it is what it is any person with any clue knows that the way to look is to the future and to be honest with you I am not all that worried about the future for my Utes. No excuses for this year, but when any team loses 11 starters to injury and has to force kids out of red shirts to fill in the gaps and you still finish 8-4 with a near upset of BYU, well I can live with that. When the Utes are healthy watch out. Let the past be that...the past and lets move on.

Don't get so riled up man! It's all a game anyways.

• Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:29 p.m.

"don't be surprised" - I have news for you. $1.2 million is nowhere near double what Bronco makes now. He's already at a million. So, he might get a very small raise at UCLA. But then, his cost of living doubles and he has to live in the armpit of America.

Anyway, I really doubt UCLA is considering him. I doubt he is considering UCLA.

• ron
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:22 p.m.

look around motivated! How many others have left your neighborhood???

• Bronco's here to stay
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:16 p.m.

Anyone who has been at any of the firesides before each game knows that the football program's success ON the field is a direct result of the improvements & inspiration that Bronco has brought about OFF the field. What Bronco is doing here can only be done at BYU. If he went to a public (read: state-owned & -operated) university & tried to impose the Honor Code, fans would be screaming to have him fired.

He's an excellent coach, but what's making the difference is his spiritual leadership, & that just won't fly at UCLA. Trust me, I grew up there.

Bronco's here to stay.

• Family Situation
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:13 p.m.

I think it's funny how people have mentioned Bronco leaving to improve his "family situation." You're probably right, since he's only bringing in about a million a year, his poor children must be starving. I actually picked his family for my company's annual Sub-For-Santa. I like what he's done with the football program, so I figured I could spare a couple bucks to buy his sons some Legos. The Mendenhall's probably don't even have health insurance; UCLA must be offering a sweet 80/20 to woo him over.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:13 p.m.

LOL, I'm sure Bronco's aspirations are to get BYU back into the national spot light. But in the current era of college football they will never play for or win a national championship. It just won't happen.

Thanks BCS!

• LBUNs
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:12 p.m.

Funny, Bronco gets mentioned and Ute fans start dropping Whit's name.

Always comparing, but not in the same league.

• Mis diredcted energy
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:00 p.m.

Even if UCLA wants to talk with Bronco, I see it as CLASSLESS for them to bring it up at this time. Of course the drama plays in UCLA's favor prior to the upcoming bowl game!!!

I can only say, the entire NCAA would be a much better place if there were enough Bronco's to go around.

Laying in the grass, listening to the replays and the vist by Lavell ranks right up there with the artistic display as when the Bear choked the bulldog before the Mississippi State game.

• National Championship??
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:00 p.m.

No non-BCS team will ever win a "National Championship" under the current BCS structure. BYU will never win a National Championship until there is a more defined playoff system. I'm a big BYU fan but the reality is until BYU can actually beat a top team, we won't be there. And even then, we'll need a playoff system to have a real chance.

And this whole thing that Hawaii and Boise State can play on a national level is crazy talk. They might be ok for a year or two but they will crumble if they had to play big name teams year in and year out. There is clearly a different level of play at the top of the WAC and the top of the SEC or PAC10. Period.

• Gene
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:36 p.m.

Hey utah fans, URBAN IS GONE, AND YOU WILL NEVER MAKE IT TO A BCS GAME WITHOUT HIM!! I love how utah fans talk about beating nonconference foes like they're experts. When BYU beats UCLA in Vegas Bronco will be 3-2 against the PAC-10 in the last 2 years. Why don't you guys face the facts? Your wins against Louisville and UCLA were nice, but they in no way make up for being shutout by UNLV! Until you can dominate your own conference, don't try and lecture anyone about being in the national spotlight. What's probably even worse for you after Urban's departure is, Urban took any chance of winning another conference title with him.
    utes welcome back to mediocrity. You just keep putting up those 3rd and 4th place finishes in conference and talking about 2004.
    Oh by the way, Michigan was 6-5 entering the Holiday Bowl. Just because you don't have a Ntional Championship doesn't mean you need to hate on ours.
    Anybody that still thinks the BIG10 is all that, needs to get out of the 90s, and join the rest of us in 2007. The Big10 hasn't been good in the since after 2002.

• BlueBoy
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:29 p.m.

By saying "calling" I wasn't meaning a church-type calling, although I should have guessed many of you would misinterpret it that way. I meant he looks upon his BYU coaching job as a professional calling to bring back the glory days (and then some) of BYU football. If you've paid attention to what he's been saying for three years now, he considers this job a calling in the sense that he considers it his duty to bring BYU back to national prominence.

Sure, being a member of the same church as his school plays into how he feels. And, it's not just about money for Bronco. He really wants to be the facilitator in BYU's return to another national championship. That's only out of the question to those whose minds are closed.

• don't be surprised
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:19 p.m.

UCLA would more than double Bronco's salary. Probably something on the order of 1.2 million a year. If another company offered to double your salary would you just turn it down blindly? NOT. Don't be surprised IF BYU beats UCLA to see Bronco in serious talks with UCLA.

• Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:18 p.m.

"Come on Belgie!" - I wasn't talking about UNLV. If you knew anything about college football, you would know that I was talking about BSU and Utah - both of which got plenty of national media attention during their 15 minutes, and both of which beat more than one BCS team.

• Rest Easy Kharma Fuzz
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:18 p.m.

There is a difference between Bronco Mendenhall and Urban Meyer. I can sum it up in two words: CLASS and LOYALTY. Bronco isn't going anywhere. I could also throw in another of Bronco's favorite words: consistency. Leaving wouldn't be consistent with the man who is Bronco Mendenhall.

• Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:18 p.m.

"La Dodger" - as you might have guessed from my handle I live in BELGIUM. Wouldn't expect a bruin to pick up on that, though. Believe it or not, people in LA do care about BYU - as well as people in San Diego, Sacramento, Washington, Oregon,... That's because there are mormons all over the country who follow BYU. BYU travels very well, and does gets a respectable viewership on national television. BYU is the only reason the MWC has any sort of national distribution deal (as crappy as it may be). UCLA, on the other hand, like you say, is only popular in Los Angeles - and only when they are doing well.

Also, you may not know that BYU wouldn't have Norm Chow as their head coach. Now, you are dying for Chow as yours (good luck with that, by the way). Where does that put UCLA in the food chain?

• Some Perpective Please!
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:13 p.m.

There have been several intelligent comments, on both sides of the debate. And at the same time, there are some real ignorant comments posted. So I guess the population is well represented. And just to clarify, the real debate is whether BYU can be good enough to compete for a title or consistent BCS appearances. The other debate about Bronco leaving is stupid, he's not going to.

But here's the bottom line. BYU may or may not be good enough to beat the best teams right now, but in this environment (current BCS structure) they will always have a difficult time stacking up because they don't have the money and resources to recruit at the highest level (this is not news).

And while it is at least conceivable that BYU could bust into the BCS for a year or two here or there (maybe even the NC game...I said maybe), it is just a circular debate because one or two times every so often is not going to allow any MWC team to be close to the top every year. Utah busted the BCS and look at their program today...possibly even worse than it was before Urban Meyer came.

• UCLA????
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:05 p.m.

Since when has UCLA become some storied program? People keep talking about them as a storied program. I understand that they are in a Bc$ conference and they had some respectable years under Terry Donahue but they are NOT a storied program in football, they definately are in Basketball but not even close in football. They aren't even the biggest fish in their own hometown.

• @LA Dodger
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:01 p.m.

Face it, UCLA isn't exactly a hot bed of football fans to start with, if so you would know that the new UCLA coach that you seem to support, Norm Chow spent 15 years at BYU developing one of the greatest offenses in college football history. The current "temp" coach at UCLA, Walker came over from BYU, and a former BYU QB coaches on the staff of UCLA rival, USC.

As for sports coverage in southern california, I am certain that BYU's limited exposure in the area has a lot to do with a restrictive recruiting agenda.

As for researching the LV Bowl, save your time and money, it's a long drive back to LA to be dragging your tail between your legs!!!

• Gene
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:58 a.m.

There are a lot of clueless people on here. Utah fans who get on here because there is nothing to talk about with their program. They can't even sell their alottment of tickets to a great location in December, but they want to talk like they know college football or they are true fans.
    First off Bronco is not going anywhere! For those of you who weren't paying attention before the season when they redid Bronco's contract, He now makes approximately 950K/year. He is higher paid than 3 PAC-10 caoches were for last year. That included Karl Dorrell. He also got a nice raise for his assistants.
    Secondly, going to UCLA wouldn't be a step up. Their facilities are an absolute joke! The Rose Bowl is a great place to play, but after thatnot much. The athletic offices as well as training and locker rooms are a far cry from what BYU currently has.
    Third, UCLA has problems with getting top flight athletes qualified academically. They have stringent qualifying at UCLA, and do not make exceptions for athletes the way USC does.
    Bronco views his job as a church calling. Utah county is his home,and he loves it there!

• SC Fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:51 a.m.

Sarkisian isn't going anywhere. He still has a long way to go before he can even be considered Head Coach Material! As far as BYU/UCLA in the Vegas Bowl, I wouldn't bet on either team as both are capable of pulling off a surprise

• True Blue
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:42 a.m.

No way Bronco bolts for another program. Most posts encouraging Bronco to consider the offer are focused on $$ only. Bronco is about much more than the $$. His goal is to develop a program that has young men competing at a national level within the honor code, representing BYU and the Church. That motivation runs much deeper than a paycheck. And let's face it, Bronco's leadership style is uniquely suited to that challenge. Would he succeed elsewhere? Yes, but not in an environment that appeals to him on so many different levels like only BYU can.

• 76 Cougar
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:29 a.m.

BIG BOYS doesn't include the Utes either, unless you are talking about the head on some of their arrogant fans.

• Whit
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:28 a.m.

If I was UCLA I'd take a good look at Whit.... He'd be a great coach at UCLA. Then they also wouldn't run the risk of getting destroyed by the Utes... As a BYU fan I hope they all stay away from Bronco.

I have a point to make about the Big 10. I have two degrees from two different big 10 universities and I must say the big 10 has slipped in the last 5 years. They aren't in the same category as an SEC, Big 12 or PAC 10.... They have gotten killed out of conference the last couple years. They run old style offenses and when they meet up in the bowls with the tougher conference, they are getting waxed-hard core. I no longer consider the big 10 an elite conference any more. Watch this bowl season and see some big 10 fatalities on the field and scoreboard....

• Texas Cougar
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:27 a.m.

To "National Championship my..."- Actually, BYU was the national champion in 1984, and they were given that championship by both the AP and college coaches. Even if Michigan had been 1-10, it wouldn't have mattered. BYU beat them, and they won the national championship.
    Now, stop being bitter, embrace history for what it is...thank the '96 and '01 Cougars for making it possible for your '04 'big boys' to play in a BCS game, and hope that your program does a little better next year.

• FootballFan
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:19 a.m.

Come on, Bronco's no Petrino. He'll stay. He's already had to save one sinking ship, and I think he's doing well at it. It's not a favorable situation to have to go and save a struggling program. I imagine he doesn't want to do it again.

I would be surprised to see Norm Chow take it either. He had a good career at 'SC, I don't foresee him jumping to the other side.

• The Man of the Hour
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:07 a.m.

Son of Helamen...What on earth would give you the idea that Norm Chow, who beat UCLA plenty of times on his way to a couple natl champ with USC would be in over his head at UCLA? Come on man.

hahaha...don't be mad because BYU beat your sorry Utes. Oregon did use dixon in the Vegas bowl last year and they tried to run the same offense with him and the 10th ranked defense in the country sent them packing.
    Do some more research next time before making ridiculous claims

• Overestimating loyalty
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:05 a.m.

A lot of you are over-estimating loyalty in this debate. Those of you that think Bronco cares so much about byu's program that he'd forgo close to 1 million per year salary are fooling themselves.

Byu football is not a church calling!! It is a job. How many of you love your job so much that you would forgo another one in a similar capacity for 3 to 4x the pay? Plus, doesn't Bronco like to surf? You can't do that in Happy Valley.

• BYU BRONCO
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:04 a.m.

It seems to me that there is no better fit in the nation for Bronco's coaching style than BYU. I hope that with as much talking as he does about tradition and legacy that he will take a page out of Lavell's book...and retire a Cougar.

Also, the college bowl system is going down. it can only resist the winds of change for so long. Parity and competition are continuing to increase as are the number of meaningless bowl games. It will not be long before reason prevails and the entire post season format of Division I football is altered.

Here's the way I see it going down, (crystal ball time)....

...in an effort to be more relevant conferences add teams and most end up taking on a multiple division structure requiring a championship game at the end of the season. because of a national outcry the BCS becomes the DICFC (D-I College Football Championship) a 16 team playoff. In order to maintain the bowl tradition major bowl games become conference championships.

as far as I'm concerned it is inevitable...

• Kharma Police
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:52 a.m.

For three years, Ute fans have been subjected to listening to mouthy Ute haters trash the U for Urban Meyer leaving. The kharma police are calling, Ute haters!! If Bronco leaves for UCLA, let's pile on the Ute haters in their fully invested t-shirts, fellow Ute fans!!

Go Utes!!

• To LA Dodger
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:50 a.m.

You're right! No one in LA cares about BYU. I've lived there. Cali is stuck on themselves.

Don't fret though, it's just like anywhere else; they first think about the people close by, as if no one else could be better. It's called networking.

Although sometimes networking has an opposite effect. BYU will let you have Chow. We didn't take him when we could have. We'll keep Bronco, thanks!

• thanks Kyle. no really, thanks.
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:47 a.m.

so if bronco takes the ucla job, does that mean ben olsen will transfer again?

• byu is NOBODY, get over it
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:46 a.m.

This is a joke... no one at UCLA is taking bronco serious. He is a small time coach at a small time academy err university. One question... Has bronco ever won a big game??? Look at his history playing BCS level competition, even crappy BCS teams beat byu. Sure he beat a totally depressed Oregon team last year when they didn't want to be in Vegas, big whoop.

Once bronco proves he can actually compete at a high level (not in the second worse D1 football conference in nation) then you could maybe make a case, otherwise, have fun at a another bad bowl game this year.

• ESPN???
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:44 a.m.

Seriously, this article is completely based on one of the reports from ESPN! Just think how often they are wrong in their reporting?! There is no concrete foundation in this story; C'mon! It's merely speculation at this point.
    However, Mendenhall is a good coach and has been since I can remember him at UNM. I wish him good luck where ever he is coaching. Hopefully, he will stay at BYU for the long haul.

• Mr. BYU
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:43 a.m.

Mr. "HAHAHAHA", YOU are the joke at the highest level and a sorry excuse for humanity when you criticise a quality person and coach like Bronco Mendenhall. Apparently YOU don't know what you're talking about when there are other college teams considering him for their head coach.

• National Champion my a$$
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:37 a.m.

I love how up in the night the BYU fans are!!! You weren't National Champions back in '84 and you will never come close again! BYU beat a 5-5 non-ranked Mighigan team for the "National Championship" in '84, would you have conidered Michigan the NCs if they would have won that game at 6-5?? At least Utah beat 19th ranked Pitt in '04 and that was a joke.
    Got news for ya Cougies, Las Vegas is as close as you will get to any BCS game, you will keep losing the important games, even if your great leader dumbs down the schedule.
    Whit may not win all the games he should but he doesn't run from a fight, he encourages it! Really think that UCLA wants a coach that would play high school teams if he could to try and bust the BCS??
    Leave the BCS BUSTING to the BIG BOYS (that doesn't include Hawaii)!!!!

• RE: Head Coach....
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:33 a.m.

RE: Head Coach - It doesn't matter who coaches BYU? Please, you are obviously short minded as to the horrible 4 year run of Crowton....I think it matters who coaches.

Cougar fans, you live in a dream world most of the time. When things are great they are great, when they aren't you are still in the dream years or at least that is all you talk about.

Bronco isn't going anyplace.

• Not A BYU Fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:26 a.m.

I'm suprised his name hasn't come up in the past. Look at everything he has to offer, young, experienced, good looking, charismatic, excellent recruiter, great people person, morale, x's and o's guy, loves his players, good to the media, marketable, why wouldn't the UCLA's, LSU's and Michigans of the world want him. If, Les Miles does not end up at Michigan, look for his name to come up there. I would expect that his name will come up every year there is a coach opening at the next level.

With that said, UCLA appears to be the best place for him to go. And he would win a National Championship there. Going to So. Cal, allows him to recruit from one of the biggest recruiting areas in the nation and compete for those players. Plus, the LDS population/players would more likely stay home to play for him than go to BYU. Furthermore, he could come here and steal a kid or two from the Y and U. He would have it made there. I honestly think that UCLA should consider him their #1 candidate.

• Not clear
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:24 a.m.

Bronco is a great coach at BYU-Provo, but it's not clear that he would succeed anywhere else. He relies very heavily on the thing the makes BYU-Provo unique - the Mormon church. All of his recruiting and motivating techniques are geared towards Mormons. Who knows if he would be able to coach/recruit kids who aren't LDS?

The UCLA job is a great job, no doubt. But it's in Bronco's own self interest to never leave Provo.

• Going nowhere
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:17 a.m.

Bronco isn't going anywhere for a long time. I think coaching at BYU means more to him than coaching anywhere else. BYU has always underpaid their coaches, but they pay their football and basketball coaches A LOT more than they used to (I still think it's funny that their last b-ball coach left BYU for Fresno State. I don't care if it his home town, that's funny.). The bump in pay wouldn't make it worth it to Bronco to leave BYU. The only way he will ever leave is when his kids are grown up and gone, and he just wants to see what he could actually do in a big-time conference.

I think you will find the same thing at the U with Kyle Whittingham.

• Hey "Michigan"
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:08 a.m.

Michigan and Ohio St. don't have to schedule top programs in non-conference. They play in the Big 10!! That means they already have 6 to 7 quality opponents on the schedule; Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan St., Each other, Purdue, and Penn St.

That is a lot different than Wyoming, UNLV, SDSU, CSU, and New Mexico. Isn't it?

• BYU Fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:08 a.m.

Gee, I wonder why UCLA isn't talking to Kyle Whittingham?

• Bean
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:05 a.m.

Well, it's not the first time Bronco's the second or third or fourth choice to fill a head coaching job. Just ask BYU!

• from Sandy
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:03 a.m.

How many years has Bronco been head couch? 3 he is playing a 5 and 5 UCLA team and BYU Fans are talking NC? did I miss something? Bronco has a ways to go to match Lavell remember him, he couldnt get them out of the WAC now how is Bronco going to get them to the PAC 10?

• SC
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:02 a.m.

Bronco ought to take the job if offered. I think its is a very tough job tough. To compete with SC right now would be tough. Six bcs bowl games in a row that program is on a roll. And fair or not UCLA will always be compared to USC.

It is a prestigous job. In a great conference. He would have a tough time scheduling down though since the pac 10 has 9 conference games. And I'm sure he would miss the great tv exposure the mountain offers in isolated pockets of the wasatch front.

• Come On Belgie!
    Dec. 13, 2007 10:02 a.m.

Hey Belgie:

Playing one BCS School a year doesn't mean that byu is "competitive" compared to those schools. Come On! If that is the case, UNLV is also "competitive" because they played Wisconsin tough this year.

Also, reading the church news 6000 miles away does not constitute getting national media attention.

• Pac 10 needs BYU, to get Bronco
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:59 a.m.

UCLA needs Bronco more than Bronco needs UCLA.

Bronco will be offered numerous opportunities to coach elsewhere, and BYU's program will continue to exceed national expectations. UCLA meanwhile, needs a coach to match its lofty BCS status, will struggle to meet its program's resulting expectations, and will continue firing coaches until someone does.

Tough to imagine, I know, a BCS school with all its unearned money and inflated respect. Surely Bronco wants overhyped players, too. Doesn't Bronco want to be in the hot seat every year he isn't in the National Championship?

With the parity in college football, Bronco recruits the talent he needs. And at BYU a better effort on the field is more important than talent. BYU has the facilities, the coaches, the fan support, the school, the values, and even a comparable winning tradition; so BCS schools only offer more money and more respect. When you have enough money, how much more do you need? Respect is more fulfilling when it is earned. And does UCLA really offer more National Championships? They have one shared title in 1954. BYU has an outright title in 1984.

The Pac 10 doesn't want Bronco, because then they get BYU.

• LA Dodger
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:57 a.m.

Belgie - where do you live? China? Yeah, I'm sure you're an "expert" on national attention. I too live outside of Utah and I don't agree with you. You probably are a BYU fan so you're looking for articles and highlights. To be honest, no one here in LA cares about BYU. It's also probably true that no one here really cares about the Bruins unless they are doing well. I CAN say that UCLA fans - those that are die-hard like myself - would be extremely disappointed if we hired your coach. We want Chow as head coach and Walker as an assistant. If we can't get Chow, we'll take Walker. I've never heard of your guy until I came over here to do some research on our bowl opponent.

• Michigan
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:48 a.m.

It's interesting that with all the talk of bronco considering ucla, Haven't heard anyone mention who could replace bronco. Not that I think bronco has the desire to leave byu. He has said time and again that it is his goal to restore BYU to its former glory and re-establish them as a national power as before. Two years, two conference championships and three bowl games mean nothing at this point. Bronco would say that he has a long way to go in restoring the BYU program. And if he left so many BYU fans would feel abandoned. Perhaps similar in the way Olsen left for ucla and we see how that worked out.

But no has mentioned who would replace Bronco?

Maybe, but why not Steve Sarkisian? Just a thought.

And this thing about the SC's, Oklahoma's, Michigan's and so forth's?

BYU doesn't have to play all those teams year end and out. Those programs don't play each other like that either. Hey, I live in Michigan, and OSU and the U of M regularly stack their schedules with teams from the MAC and like conferences.

Do you people actually know anything about college football? I don't think so.

• Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:40 a.m.

"Belgie & Dave? Serious?" and "No National Championship" - Did you even read my post? I specifically said that the best of the mid-majors are COMPETITIVE WITH the top BCS teams. Several programs have proven that over the past 5 years. I also specifically said that BYU wouldn't have a chance at a national title in the next 2 years. Beyond that - nobody can say. I only said that BYU should be the best mid-major, and they will therefore get national attention (just like Utah and BSU have already done).

And, by the way, I DO live outside of Utah - about 6000 miles outside of Utah. And BYU gets about as much national attention as any other team at the bottom of the top-25. They get mentioned in columns. They get pictures and video put in highlight sections. Mendenhall gets talked about. In fact, in a lot of cases, national media LOVE to talk about the little guy that excels. If BYU pounds UCLA in the Las Vegas bowl, plenty of journalists will talk about the stupid match ups the MWC has in its bowl games.

• political aspirations
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:39 a.m.

It may be good for Baronco-Bama, er... Bronco Mendenhall to grab the UCLA job while there is still a great program within his reach - because he, just like a strong democratic presidential candidate, is just a flash in the pan. If he doesn't jump at this opportunity, he may not have another. He will just fizzle out and die in happy valley.

Now, time for all of us computer geeks to get back to work and to quit fantasizing about real life football scenarios.

• Head Coach
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:38 a.m.

It will not matter who coaches BYU, They will always be a great team and Utah Won't.

• To: ogmson
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:35 a.m.

Are you in the BYU Human Resources Department? How in the world do you know what Bronco makes?

It has been reported that he is in the $900,000-1,200,000 range, which would most likely make him a 7 digit guy.

• 2 years undefeated in conference
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:34 a.m.

Enough said.

• Little Pockets
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:26 a.m.

I bet every school in the country wishes that they had a top five ginormous fund for their school. I sure am glad byu has one. It is so huge!

• Sarkisian as Head Coach
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:19 a.m.

Re Ute Fan:

Sark ain't leaving USC for anything less than a head coaching job.

• mid-majors
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:17 a.m.

Did anyone hear Lou Holtz talk about Hawaii a few weeks ago and what bowl they should be in? Near the end of his comments he mentioned that Hawaii was in the MWC. He was immediately corrected by Mark May who told him Hawaii was in the WAC. But the point is even the so-called experts know nothing (or maybe just a little) about the MWC or the WAC or any of the teams in the mid-majors, including BYU and Utah.

Hopefully, Bronco will be the coach to help change that at BYU.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:10 a.m.

Not everyone in the world thinks that making big money is the end-all, beat-all of human existence. I could make bigger money in bigger cities, but I don't want to live there. I have all I need here. Coaching (and winning) at BYU and you are the most popular LDS guy on earth next to the prophet.

Bronco isn't going anywhere.

• HOHOHO
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:04 a.m.

HAHAHAHAH is obviously a Ute fan as are all of those who are encouraging Bronco to go. As for being a joke -- well, winning 2of3 from Utah is pretty funny. Then there's Air Force (who also beat TTUN) and TCU, which is traditionally pretty good. And a look at BYU's upcoming schedule includes the likes of Washington, Florida State, and several other good programs. Now, there are a lot of reasons that I think some of Bronco's strategies might not work with a different population, I am not surprised people are looking at him. And I also don't think the Tennessee Titans OC would be out of his league.

• To UTE Fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:03 a.m.

Why would Sarkisian want to go to UCLA? USC is a much better place for SARK and its pays much more than UCLA.

"Andy who?", says USC. UNLV 27-0. Great offensive mind. Dream on.

• Money Motivated
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:03 a.m.

"BlueBoy" is a classical BYU fan that is mixing employment with his church attendance. BYU would want people to believe that working for them is a "calling" so that they can pay you less, but when those people look around (like Bronco will, if he is truely offered something), and realize that his salary can go from a couple hundred to a couple million dollars, it won't take long for him to realize that all of the extra-curricular things he is there at BYU for, he can find at UCLA (except for the goofy students). While money isn't everything, the opportunity to get paid 10 times your current salary is something that would make anyone look at the job, regardless of the calling. How many times do you have a chance to earn a several million dolllar salary? As an FYI, I had a bishop move from my neighborhood because he got a job offer paying him 2X his salary, so it wouldn't be the first time someone has left a "calling" to better his family's financial situation.

• RE: ogmson
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:01 a.m.

RE: ogmson - You bash on Ute fans when one respectfully made a post right above yours. Then you wonder why our fans are some of the most hated? Go figure.

Question, what was 0-2 supposed to mean? If you are refering to his record against Utah, go back and check your facts and you find that you are wrong.

As far as Bronco leaving. It's all speculation. We don't even know that he has been asked to interview. Until then it is all speculation.

• BluieBluie
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:53 a.m.

It is clear that the direction that Bronco has led this program (in an earthly sense) makes another National Championship an inevitability.

There is no program that can come close to the way that BYU is building its program the right way and is building its players for success in the future. We are truly witnessing greatness.

I just don't understand why we must be bound by this Conference and its Television contract. BYU's presence in any game means that it gets unparalleled ratings. Accordingly, BYU needs to go independent, sign an exclusive deal with NBC to cover its games, and inherit all that it has rightfully earned thanks to its behavior on and off the field.

• Ute Fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:47 a.m.

If Chow were to get the job at UCLA, the best move he could make would be to take Sarkisian from USC. Which, would vacate the OC job that would be a great fit for Andy Ludwig.

BYU gets to keep Broco
    Chow and Sarkisian are reunited
    We lose Ludwig

It's a win-win-win!!!

• hahahahaha
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:44 a.m.

Look at Broncos record vs non conference opponents. And to Elsabio, I know he beat Arizona, a poor pac 10 team. Other than Oregon who didnt use Dixon, you havent beat anyone worth talking about. You could have been a BCS buster but Tulsa and UCLA took you.

• ogmson
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:41 a.m.

Coach Bronco will not leave BYU. No, he is not at a 7 figure income like he could be at UCLA, but make no mistake, most of you have no idea of the behind the scenes activity of big money boosters putting together special fund for the Coach's at BYU. The money is for retirement, special needs, recruiting and/or whatever to properly compensate our head coaches and give them the financial support that BYU can't.

Only angry, 0-2, Ute fans would say that BYU coach's are not the class of the country. But go ahead, keep writing things you know nothing about so those of us that do can have something good to laugh at.

The money raised privately for this 'fund' is ginormous. There are not five other programs in the country that can claim the same thing, at least none that are spoke of. Why would Bronco leave that?

BTW, I know, BYU can't compete with Oklahoma (Tucson) Michigan (San Diego) Kansas (Dallas) Texas A&M (San Diego) Oregon(LV) Oops. Well, maybe he meant except for the last time they played each other.....What a idiot. How do you turn the computer on when you are that dumb?

• CougTrainer
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:39 a.m.

How can any of you say what Bronco thinks? You all sound ridiculous.

• RE: HAHAHAHA
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:35 a.m.

RE: Hahahah - I am the biggest Ute fan there is, but even I with all the dislikes I have for BYU can admit that Bronco Mendenhall is one heck of great head coach. UCLA would be lucky to get him in my book. Just like all you Cougs were so thrilled when Urban left Utah, I to would be thrilled to see him move on to bigger and better things. I'm not a BYU fan, but I am not oblivious to the fact that BRONCO can coach and motivate kids. For those that doubt he could do it at UCLA, I think you are dead wrong!

So, Mr. HAHAHAAH, I think you are the one being laughed at.

GO UTES!!!!!

• RE: Why Bronco?
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:26 a.m.

RE: Why Bronco - Explain why this doesn't make any sense? Who says if Bronco was hired that Walker would even be on his staff. If Bronco leaves, I'm sure Robert Anae is following him to coach the offense. It makes sense for Bronco to go to UCLA if offered the job. He is a great head coach and has proved he can elevate a program in the dumps. Plus, this gives him the shot at big time and the BCS.

But in the end whent he smoke clears, Bronco will still be a Cougar is my gut feeling. But you may as well get used to him being offered jobs as long as BYU does well. And I don't see BYU upping the ante to match what UCLA can offer!

• To RE: Do it!
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:23 a.m.

Bronco is the real deal however his cougs will not be a BCS Buster year after year unless they figure out how to beat non conference opponents just like Utah wont do it until they learn to beat weak conference opponents. Truth is as was mentioned earlier unless Hawaii beats Georgia the justification to invite non BCS teams is gone. The BCS is politics and money. That is why Utah played Pitt not Auburn (to much controversy if Utah beats Auburn), and why the hope was Oklahoma would destroy BSU, did not happen so they are looking for Georgia to do it to Hawaii. The whole reason they created the system was to keep the non BCS schools out!!!! You are only fooling yourself if you think any of them will win a National Championship!!! Unless college football goes to a play off there will never be any hope. As for Bronco, I am not a cougar fan but he is a classy guy who gets the job done. I hope he stays because he does give the conference a better chance at getting the recognition it deserves. GO MWC

• TO: hahaha
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:22 a.m.

youre just jealous that ucla doesnt want whittingham...how come the really good mid majors dont get more respect after utah throttled big pittsburgh and boise state beat monster oklahoma. even if hawaii beats georgia, next year will be the exact same and no mid major will get respect no matter what they do. tourney time please

• Sarkisian
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:21 a.m.

Funny his "former BYU" name hasn't come up...

• Ever been to Apline?
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:11 a.m.

Where else would you choose to rasie a family, than the little community where you grew up?

BYU has spent the bucks to build "The Program" and will spend the bucks the KEEP the program. A half empty stadium does no one any good.

Good for BYU football, the current coaching staff and the former staffers. Interesting that both are being considered to coach against arch rival USC, and guess who is calling the plays over there!!!

Let's see, Walker is already on board, Chow and Bronco are in the news...To bad BYU isn't good enough to play in the Pac 10!!!

• Why Bronco?
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:06 a.m.

This doesn't make sense to me. Walker will stay on as defensive coordinator. Bronco's forte is also defense. Who's going to coach the offense? I think UCLA is just blowing smoke on this one. Desperate times call for desperate meausures. UCLA is a desperate program right now.

• Take it Bronco!
    Dec. 13, 2007 8:05 a.m.

Hey, Bronco wants a shot at the BCS, so here is is chance. He'd be studpid not to go after this job. Here is a chance to coach in a more reputable conference, get more national exposure, play a tougher schedule, etc. Oh wait, he might not like to tougher schedule part, but he can always schedule down his non conference schedule a little. At least this will give him a chance to prove his coaching ability.

• AZ Dave
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:55 a.m.

Typical Cougar fan. Put down the Kool-Aid and get real. BYU better than UCLA. Good team in a so so conference. Nothing more, Nothing less

• Nuts
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:51 a.m.

UCLA is just trying to distract BYU for this bowl game. If UCLA loses to BYU it is major disaster for their program. Bronco will stay at the Y.

• BlueBoy
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:48 a.m.

Bronco's comments over the three years he's been head coach don't lend to any concept of his leaving BYU for more money, or leaving because some storied BCS school wants him. He considers his job here a calling, not an opportunity only. Money isn't an issue for someone who's happy to live the simple life.

I believe he wants to be remembered many years from now as the guy who got BYU permanently into the national football scene, as a top, well-respected team that contends for the national title, regardless of conference affiliation. In fact, he probably wants BYU to get invited into a BCS conference like the Pac-10.

Granted, most teams there don't want that, but the BCS itself might cause that conference to expand one day, and if BYU is a top-tier winner year after year, that might do the trick. Money speaks, and if BYU is winning BCS dollars every year from the BCS conferences, they'll likely want to bring BYU into the fold to retain that dough.

• john in texas
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:47 a.m.

Attention ha ha ha ha. You are one cynical human being. Try taking Bronco's place for even a week since you appear to be such an expert.

You appear to be one of those people who would be critical of BYU and it's coaches even if they played 2-3 BCS teams and blew them off the field each year and then went unbeaten and won the NCAA championship. There would be something wrong with the coaches, the players, or anything that you could conjur up.

My opinion for what it is worth. BYU does a REMARKABLE job in staying competitive with the
    special challenge of utilizing all the returned
    missionaries and being limited to recruiting young
    men who committ to the HIGH standards at the Y.

And for all of you who want Bronco to move on to more money, maybe money is not what motivates him.
    Just maybe the things that motivated Lavell Edwards
    is motivating him. Money is important, but it IS NOT
    the grand achievement of life.

And that's it for this 13th day of November 2007.

• No National Championship
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:45 a.m.

Being the "class of the mid-majors" does not, and will never, get any team to the national championship. Utah and Boise State proved that they will let mid-majors go to their dance, but not dance with the head cheerleader. Hawaii this year is an aberration. They have a joke schedule and if there hadn't been so many shake-ups with top teams losing this year they wouldn't have gone to a BCS bowl, even with an undefeated season.

Bronco would be crazy to pass up the chance if UCLA offered it, but UCLA isn't interested in investing in Bronco's stock.

• Re: Do it!
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:40 a.m.

You're about a decade late in your thinking. College football is becoming more competitive because of the scholarship limits that have been in effect for quite awhile now.

Years ago the top BCS teams could cubby-hole talent three deep, but not any more. That's why the BCS bowl matchups have been so messed up lately, especially this year. Parity is happening in college football.

If it weren't for the BCS itself causing the cream of the crop giving top BCS teams maybe 1.5 deep in talent, the mid-major schools would be even more competitive. BYU is at least 1 deep in top talent, which is why it has been so competitive the past two years.

BYU is well on its way to becoming a BCS buster year after year as long as Bronco sticks around. He' proven himself to be the real deal. His record speaks for itself.

Nice try, "Do it!" Ute fan.

• Posts
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:33 a.m.

Man, if I'm thinking about taking a job for more $$ in So. Cal, but am in the middle of creating something that I think is special, the first thing I would do is run a look at a blog at the DMN to see what all of the computer geeks think to help me make my decision...

• Belgie & Dave? Serious?
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:30 a.m.

The think that always makes me chuckle about byu fans is they think the byu program is more respected at a National level than it is. Yes, byu is a great mid-major program. It may be the best of the non-big boys. However, No one cares about MWC Championships outside the borders of this conference. Most people think Utah and Byu are still in the WAC at a Nat'l level. Spend some time outside of Utah and take note of how often you hear about byu football. Furthermore, a huge mistake is made in thinking byu can compete consistently on a Nat'l level with the big boys. Florida, Ohio St., LSU, USC, etc. play quality teams every week within their own conferences. Byu does not have that opportunity. Therefore, losses to teams like Tulsa immediately look really bad without a chance for redemption. Last of all, look at where the MWC sends its conference champion. That is a good indication of how well the nation respects this conference. It puts the conference champion on par with a dead in the water Pac-10 team.

• Do it!
    Dec. 13, 2007 7:15 a.m.

You've gotta think of your family Bronco. BYU has always been known to extremeely underpay their coaches. He would probably double or triple his current income if he went to UCLA. His assistants would double or triple their pay as well. He would also have the awesome chance to see what REAL elite athletes could do with his defensive "system" with real defensive backs.

He would have athletes 3 deep at his disposal at every position and the chance to play for a national championship if they run the table or have one loss. BYU will never have that opportunity unless they schedule two or three BCS conference contenders every year. Sure they could go to a BCS bowl if undefeated while playing pansies, but NEVER a national championship.

• Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:58 a.m.

"Are you serious?" - I agree that BYU has almost no chance to win a NC in the next 2 years. But, BYU should be at or near the level of most of the teams you mentioned. Utah and BSU have proven that good non-BCS teams can still compete on the national scene. BYU has had early season struggles the past two years, but almost everybody agrees that they haven't been the same team at the end of the season as they were at the beginning. If they can avoid those same early-season problems, BYU should be the class of the "mid-majors" for the foreseeable future.

• joe
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:51 a.m.

Interviewing for coaching positions,when one is allready a college head coach, has almost always proven to be a disruptive and demoralizing experience for the "sought after coaches" players, fans and university. Hopefully, Bronco will resist bringing this situation on the byu sports community. At least not until he has a bona fide offer on the table.

• Son of Helaman
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:45 a.m.

I wonder if the stories from the BOM would motivate the Bruins? I think Bronco and the rest of the Cougars faithful are underestimating the ability of UCLA to hire a football coach. Norm and Bronco would most definitely be in over their heads.

• Are you serious?
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:37 a.m.

Dave, Please tell me you arent serious when you say that BYU has a better chance than anyone to will the NC in the next two years. Just because BYU has a patsy schedule for the next few years does not automatically make them NC Contenders. I dont think there is a person in the country (outside of utah county) that thinks BYU would have a prayer against the likes of USC, Oklahoma, Michigan, LSU, OSU, Georgia, Florida.... you get the picture.

I like to see BYU win, but this is exactly why people laugh at BYU and MWC fans. It is the unreal perception of the dominance of their program. After Hawaii gets beat up this year by Georgia it will be even harder for a non BCS conference team to be a BCS buster.

• Elsabio
    Dec. 13, 2007 6:18 a.m.

hahahaha proves the intellect of the parameciam is alive and well. BYU vs Arizona, 2007. The score was in favor of the Y, and Arizona is not a MWC team. Also to denigrate Bronco as a joke is another exhibit of irrational ignorance...on the highest level.

• Max
    Dec. 13, 2007 5:39 a.m.

Bronco would be a fool not to take this opportunity if it were granted. Very impressive to even be considered for such a position!

• Ore Coug
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:14 a.m.

I believe it is more a way for UCLA, or ESPN trying to help UCLA, to drop the confidence level of BYU players to try and gain an edge. That is if the BYU players think Bronco would consider leaving, not likely. Bronco is upfront and honest to his players and they will see this for what it is, an attempted distraction.

Yes Bronco has been successful, and will most likely continue, but his success is the result of strategy applied to a situation. In the situation of BYU it works well but I do not think it would work at UCLA. Bronco could adapt his strategy, but success is hard to replicate by adaptation. Just look at business and you will see several examples of this failure.

• Dave
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:29 a.m.

Unless there's outrageously big money involved, Bronco shouldn't even consider this move, since his BYU (in the next two years) will have a better chance than anyone in the country to win a National Championship! UCLA has no chance, Bronco or no Bronco.

• SeattleCougarBlue
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:23 a.m.

You can thank Craig Thompson if Bronco even considers going to UCLA. The Cougars have a better football program than UCLA but with the lack of exposure due the MTN TV deal it's going to continue to get more difficult for BYU and other MWC teams to recruit quality athletes. The top notch guys want to play and be seen on TV... that's an important tool to taking their game to the next level. I truly think Bronco is a BYU guy and if the MWC had a TV deal that was at least as good as what they had with ESPN prior to the MTN then Bronco wouldn't even consider leaving BYU. He realizes that BYU could be the "Gonzaga" of college football.

But... Craig Thompson has the MWC going down the same road as his former conference... The Sun Belt. I'm not sure any MWC coach wants to playing at that level of competition in the next 2-4 years. And that's where the MWC will be with the level of exposure they get with the MTN. I can't blame Bronco if he doesn't want to be around to see that.

• hahahaha...
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:57 a.m.

maybe when he can beat a team out of the MWC he can be taken serious. Bronco is a joke... on the highest level