Sports

Comments

• Mormons @ UCLA
    Dec. 13, 2007 5:22 p.m.

Um, Ben Olson is Mormon.

• MichaelJ
    Dec. 13, 2007 4:59 p.m.

Bronco is way too smart to go anywhere. He's already a legend, in less than 5 years. We love Bronco, and he loves BYU.

• CougarBlue
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:19 p.m.

Starakawa, How about we just take the win and keep Bronco? I don't think he's going anywhere and I'm not on edge about it.

• Coach Bronco
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:29 p.m.

Why would coach Bronco go to the Pac-10? It makes no sense. It would go against his coaching strategy. Bronco wants to the ability to dumb down his schedule so that his team always looks better than it really is. He couldn't do that nearly as easy at UCLA than he can with BYU. Bronco is not going anywhere.

• Starakawa
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:29 p.m.

Love it - BYU fans on edge

Sounds like the Vegas bowl is a job audition for Mendenhal. Make a good showing and the chance of an offer increases...

Question is, do BYU fans hope for a BYU win in the Veags Bowl and a chance you lose your coach or do you hope for a loss to the Bruins and better odds at keeping him in Provo...

• Best news for the Utes
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:53 a.m.

I bet the Ute fans are salivating over even the slim thought of Bronco leaving. That would probably be the only way Utah will be able to topple the team that Bronco is building in Provo.

I honestly don't think Bronco will go anywhere. But, then of course, money does talk!! Just ask Urban Meyer.

GO COUGS!!!

• amosiii
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:26 a.m.

to GO BRUINS- you actually have to beat ranked teams and win out of conference? BYU has done both. You have to do that to reach a BCS game? Not today- Hawaii's done it, Boise state did it, and Utah all made BCS games just by going undefeated with a VERY easy schedule. The difference is that Hawaii and BSU actually play good teams in the bcs game, not a joke pitt team.

• NO SUCEESS
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:13 a.m.

BRONCO WOULD BE AN AWFUL CHOICE AT UCLA, THE GUYS THERE WOULD NOT BUY INTO HIS SYSTEM. I REALLY THINK BYU WOULD PROBALY BE THE ONLY PLACE HE WOULD DO WELL AT, as a head coach. HE HAS A DIFFERENT SYSTEM.

• to dj
    Dec. 13, 2007 11:10 a.m.

That's funny cuz' as you know, we've heard that loaded question before. As silly as asking this, I suppose:

Don't other religions believe that God created all things, but they don't have any explanation for where Satan came from?

• BYU Fan
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:54 a.m.

I do not think Bronco will go any where. But the Uts are vrey aginst BYU.

• Amen
    Dec. 13, 2007 9:19 a.m.

Amen and Amen.

Go Blue.

• Belgie
    Dec. 13, 2007 5:39 a.m.

BYU in '84 was the Hawaii of this year? All the national pollsters disagree with you. Even if this year's champion was determined by the AP Poll, Hawaii still wouldn't have any sort of a chance at it. Every body else this year HAS lost games, and Hawaii still hasn't managed coming close to a championship.

I love how it eats Ute fans up that BYU has both a national championship and a Heisman winner. God bless Lavell Edwards.

• c'mon
    Dec. 13, 2007 3:52 a.m.

We have to play good teams and beat them eh? Too bad neither applied to our game against UCLA earlier this year.

• Go Bruins
    Dec. 13, 2007 2:22 a.m.

They would want Bronco because he actually wins more games then he looses. Bronco is a hot coach for any school that is looking to make a winning football program. If UCLA does not want Bronco good for BYU and your loss. By the way its great that you are happy about putting down BYU when they are winners and UCLA is a mediocre 6-6 team. Your arrogance is laughable. BYU will not disrespect UCLA. The difference is UCLA will have to respect BYU or they will have no chance. Go BYU!

• dj
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:44 a.m.

Think about it. BYU will be pre-season Top 15 next year (and probably in 2009). Where do you think they'll be playing their bowl game when they run the table?....of course, the BCS National Championship game!! Wow, that was easy.

• dj
    Dec. 13, 2007 1:39 a.m.

UCLA won't want a Mormon. Isn't that the religion that says that Christ and Satan are brothers?

• GO BRUINS
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:55 a.m.

This last post is exactly why I will cheer for UCLA. ANOTHER National title??? See, the funny thing is in this era you actually have to earn it. You have to play good teams and beat them. You were Hawaii of this year in 84. You squeeked by bad teams and won the title by default. You will never win another title or be a BCS game because you cant win out of conference games and you surely cant beat ranked teams. GO BRUINS!! And trust me, the Bronco to UCLA thing is a RUMOR. Its UCLA, why would they want Bronco?

• To "UCLA":
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:36 a.m.

I hope you live in California... because if you don't... we all want you to move there. And if you do live there, what in the world are you doing reading the Utah newspapers? Hilarious.

I hope Bronco stays put. I feel BYU is the perfect fit for him, not only as a Coach, but also as a mentor and leader. I like the "rah rah hoopla" that he pushes and wish I could have played for him. He is definitely the perfect person to fill Lavell's shoes and also to create and leave behind his own legacy at a school that loves him. Why leave now when he still has so much to do here. He WILL potentially lead this team into the National Title game within the next 5 years... mark my words. You Who-tah fans can cherish your BCS buster trophy, but we're going to win ANOTHER National Championship.

I'm so sorry that Bronco is loyal... unlike good ol' Urban. Even he couldn't stand your program any longer. :)

We believe in you Coach Mendenhall. Good luck in Vegas.

• Dead Horse
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:34 a.m.

In order for Bronco to enjoy in LA the same lifestyle he enjoys in Provo on his modest (by Div I coaching standards) six-figure salary, UCLA would have to pay him at least a million bucks a year and have all kinds of perks. It's all moot anyway, Bronco has already said he's not interested in another gig. I, too, pray that he is the next LaVell and stays here for a hundred years or so.

• Stop the nonsense
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:24 a.m.

The LA Times isn't reporting anything about Bronco. I've only seen mention of Norm Chow.

• UCLA
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:32 p.m.

in the sports section in the Los Angeles Times it's reporting that UCLA officals have an interview with Bronco after the Vegas bowl. I would rather he not be our coach and he stay at the mormon school. Good luck Bruins and beat BYU just like you did last time!!!

• Gretzky
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:26 p.m.

I think UCLA is just trying to get into the heads of the Cougs before the bowl game. It's a mind game for the PAC-10. MWC is just a starter league in their minds.

• AZ fan
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:26 p.m.

Let him do what he wants and let's all support him. He is a great coach and if he leaves good for him. If not good for BYU. No one tells you where to work. His decision. In the mean time let it play out. No more rumors or guessing. Bunch of busy bodies.

• Chow is the man
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:24 p.m.

UCLA ought to sign Chow as quickly as they can. He is a proven winner and has national notoriety. The passing game is his forte and UCLA has the QB's (when healthy) to make him very successful.

• Chester Blue
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:21 p.m.

Bronco will stay put. The article says he's not talking with the Bruins nor have they contacted him personally. He is a man of his word. He is also fully invested in the BYU program and he will coach here until he's let go because it's a dream job for many who've grown up around these parts. Bronco's family is here and it's probably the best place to raise children in the United States. I think it is the best by far but that's just me. Count on Bronco being the next Lavell only defenses are much improved and understand the West Coast offense unlike before in Edwards hay day. I'm fully chested and ready to take the next step which is going to a BCS game next year to watch BYU play some great football. Thank you Bronco and I'm behind you 100% with whatever you do because you rock! GO COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It's a Calling...
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:05 p.m.

Coaching for BYU is more of a calling than just simply another coaching job to put on your resume. To a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this is pretty serious. It not only creates more loyalty and personal investment, but it also means that you have an obligation to the moral and spiritual development of the players. I've heard Bronco quoted many times that his reward is not just winning, but seeing his players grow and become men. I don't know of another coaching job in country that is as focused on becoming as successful on the field as off.

For Bronco, the UCLA job may bring notoriety, fame, and glory, but it can't replace the spiritual aspect that is so prevalent and vital at BYU. UCLA would most likely frown on such an approach. The fireside gigs before the games, seeing returned missionaries get their skills back, sending other young men off on missions, recruiting boys that want to come to BYU for the religious aspect, and especially creating a program that is attractive to young LDS males is a huge reward for him I'm sure.

• ucla75
    Dec. 12, 2007 10:59 p.m.

Bronco wants to get to the next level and UCLA is the right fit for him. He is gonna go head to head with Pete Carroll every year. Then Norm Chow can take over BYU where he shoulda been a long time ago. This is a win-win for BYU and UCLA.

• doofY
    Dec. 12, 2007 10:28 p.m.

I don't think Mendenhall would leave anytime soon, he more than likely would like to stay close to his home near Provo, and he has built pretty much a SOLID program he probably won't want to lose. Who knows, Mendenhall may think this would be good for him.

• Bronco in the PAC 10 HA HA
    Dec. 12, 2007 10:21 p.m.

Why would the guy leave his neat little gig in Provo to tread into waters where there are no games you can check off as automatic wins like the MWC?

Bronco would be in over his head over UCLA...they would never buy into that rah rah snake oil he sells down Provo way.

Bronco good MWC coach...average, below average PAC 10 coach.

• Texas
    Dec. 12, 2007 9:57 p.m.

Bronco has let it be known he would bolt for a Pac-10 job and he would love to get UCLA. True, he would lean toward the North-west but UCLA would do it for him. He started this last summer.

• saddle
    Dec. 12, 2007 8:23 p.m.

Is it true that Urban Meyer has been contacted 'bout coaching at UCLA and Florida? He is the only coach who has that kind of capacity.

• To Bronco
    Dec. 12, 2007 7:35 p.m.

Just a clue, if you have to tell someone that your joke is 100% funny, it's not.

• To kjus
    Dec. 12, 2007 7:29 p.m.

Of course they allow it. "Bronco" is a Hollywood name.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 12, 2007 7:00 p.m.

Where is this reported on ESPN? I looked to and fro and I couldn't see it any place. Just a bunch of drama if you ask me...

• mhe
    Dec. 12, 2007 6:45 p.m.

where do you busy bodies get this info anyway? Get to work.

• kjus
    Dec. 12, 2007 6:27 p.m.

I don't think Hollywood allows coaches with the name "Bronco" in their city.

• RE: Bronco
    Dec. 12, 2007 6:22 p.m.

RE: Bronco, last report I saw was that it was partially true but 100% dumb.

Kyle Whittingham is much better than Ron Mcbride for thos that make those comparisons.

• Bronco
    Dec. 12, 2007 6:07 p.m.

Sources close to me tell me that Bronco told UCLA officials he's not interested in the job, however, he recommended Roger Reid to UCLA as one viable option.

ESPN has confirmed that the above statement is 100% true and 100% funny.

• Kylie Whit
    Dec. 12, 2007 5:55 p.m.

That BYU alum in SLC has basically proven himself to be just a younger Ron McBride. Why would UCLA want to settle for 'pretty good'. They had that in Karl Dorrell.

• Cheddar
    Dec. 12, 2007 5:53 p.m.

Perhaps Frank Dolce or Scott Mitchell are available. Solid products from the U should do well in the Wac-10 coaching ranks.

• As a UTE fan....
    Dec. 12, 2007 5:51 p.m.

As a UTE fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Bronco leave. Just like all you coUgar fans were happy to see Urban Meyer leave, I would be happy to see Bronco leave. But in all honesty, I don't see Bronco leaving. He would be a heck of a pick up for the team that got him but I don't really ever see him going anywhere. I think he is the next Lavell and will be here for a long time.

• Y not Salt Lake City?
    Dec. 12, 2007 4:33 p.m.

If they want a BYU Alum, how 'bout faxing them the phone number for a certain head coach in Salt Lake City? Just don't list Joe Glenn as a reference.

• JB
    Dec. 12, 2007 4:26 p.m.

I dont see Chow as a Head coach in the college ranks. Pro's are more of a possibility as a HC for him. I dont think Bronco is going anywhere. If he was to jet for the Pac 10 he would be heading to the Northwest to Oregon State but thats not happening anytime soon. Walker seems to be the most likely person for the job..but after what happened with Bobby Petrino you never know who is going to end up with as head coach!