Mountain West reprimands Glenn for gesture

• One other Thing about the game
    Nov. 15, 2007 7:32 p.m.

I don't know about you, but I hate a game that is boring. Coach Whit obviously took it easy on WY in the 2nd half, but nothing says that he can't use some plays to entertain the fans! He probably wouldn't have used half of the plays in a close game, but when it is you can rely on a stellar defense, and you got a pretty good cushion, you can take some chances that you wouldn't normally take. I for one am grateful.

I also respect WY. They beat VA who just happens to be leading the ACC. Most of the points on the board were the result of turnovers. They had half a game to turn things around! How quickly did BYU turn around things in the "miracle bowl"? If you disrespect a team by taking it easy on them when you start winning, you can get burned just like the hare in the "Tortoise and the Hare". How much of the "miracle bowl" was SMU's disrespect of BYU, that BYU ended up winning the game?

• re: You have all lost focus
    Nov. 15, 2007 7:14 p.m.

Seems to me like you're a BYU fan in sheep's clothing! This isn't an issue. Auburn did an onside kick against SC last year while beating SC. Did Coach Spurrier complain about the "poor sportsmanship"? No, he gave Tommy Tuberville a nod of approval for burning him. The fact is, an onside kick is very dangerous. Unless you make it, you just gave your opponent an excellent opportunity to score. It is only done when you're certain you're going to make it, or you're desperate. We are also talking the team that beat VA who happens to be leading the ACC in the beginning of the 3rd quarter. If WY came back like they could've done, then everybody would've been asking for Coach Whit's head for easing up before the game was all but certain! If you look at the score, it is obvious Coach Whit took it easy on WY as we only scored 10 in the 2nd half, and WY had an excellent opportunity to score at least 3 when they recovered the onsides kick! You actually disrespect WY when you complain about the onsides kick because you're saying WY couldn't come back in the 2nd half!

• Southern BYU fan
    Nov. 15, 2007 8:29 a.m.

I'm a little worried about the Cougars going to Laramie. Wyoming is so ticked off about the game at SLC, it certainly will fire them up. Utah might just be coming up with all kinds of creative ways to beat BYU.

• RE: WY
    Nov. 14, 2007 12:10 a.m.

Please remember this is the team that beat VA, and beat them bad!! VA is currently in the lead in the ACC. If Coach Whitt had pulled back on WY in the 3rd quarter, it would've been serious disrespect. By playing WY tough until the 4th quarter, he showed respect! Respect that this team could've very well made a comeback! Had that happened, everybody would've been saying that he was inept for not putting the game away before easing off!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 12, 2007 11:46 p.m.

That was a dominating performance by the Utes and their defense. The Utah BYU game is setting up to be another great game.

Go Utes!

• BYU-1
    Nov. 12, 2007 8:03 p.m.

Utah fans are very good at defending their team when they win. When it comes to losing, they don't whine they quit, nowhere to be seen or heard.

Utah fans Shhhhhh....Get a head start, and prepare yourself for future losing seasons. Your better off cheering for gymnastics, at leasy you'll be happy then.

• You have all lost focus
    Nov. 12, 2007 7:50 p.m.

First disclaimer: not a fan of MWC, Utah or Wyoming or BYU for that matter. Happened to pick up the story on ESPN and SI because the classless actions of both Wyoming and Utah are now a national topic. Shame on them both!

Now. Seriously. Step back from the ledge and take a deep breath. You have all lost focus and perspective. The Wyoming coach clearly deserved the reprimand from the league. However, any of you defending the Utes on-sides kick when the score is 43-0 need to take a second look in the mirror. It was undoubtedly the Bush League Move of the Year, probably the Bush League Move of the Decade and it was ordered by the head coach of the Utah Utes. Nothing to be proud of there. Inexcusable. You kick off, put the second and third string in and let them have a go. If the second and third string score, so be it. Kick off again. Nobody is saying that you stop playing the game. But on-side kicks with a 43-0 lead? Classless and inexcusable. And the fans defending this move are classless, inexcusable and bush league too.

• TucsonUte
    Nov. 12, 2007 6:42 p.m.

I am surprised that some of these whiny BYU and Wyoming fans aren't in here running their mouths saying that Whittingham should be fined for "poor sportsmanship" for kicking the onside kick.

Glenn deserved it. No matter how angry you get, that little gesture will make you look like a fool.

Whittingham is a genius because Wyoming will be out for blood with the lopsided loss and none other than BYU will be coming into Laramie.

• Re: Re: Where is the Class?
    Nov. 12, 2007 6:11 p.m.

What a great posting! I love it! My exact thoughts. Most of these people on here have no idea what they are talking about. Go Utes!!

• BYU Fans ...
    Nov. 12, 2007 5:42 p.m.

Please...All cougar fans STOP your "holier than thou" comments...I go to the Y and embarrassed to be associated with any of the football fans here. I will forever be glad that I am a Ute fan.

• Preachy Y fans
    Nov. 12, 2007 5:35 p.m.

You guys are too funny. Utah had their 2nd and 3rd string offense in from the third on. "Running up the score"?.......Do you mean scoring 10 points in the second half with the backup squad or do you mean the 18 of 19 plays in the fourth being running plays with our freshman HB and QB?
    Preachy, preachy, preachy. If I remember correctly your own coach had his entire starting offense on the field to finish your "close" game against Eastern Washington High School (42-7).
    Get over it. Utah "running up" the score and the onside kick have nothing to do with one another. One happened, the other didn't.
    Do I agree with the onside kick? Yes and no. Yes because it gives the special teams some practice in a live game. No because it gave Wyoming the best field position they had all game.

• Re: Where is the class?
    Nov. 12, 2007 5:10 p.m.

Did you even watch the game, or are you just reacting to the negative comments on these threads?

I didn't agree with the onside kick, and Kyle had already apologized. It's not like any of us had ever seen him do anything like that before. Anyone concerned with running up the score are just people already looking for excuses to critize the Ute program. There is no such thing as running up the score in the first 3 quarters.

You justify BYU's late score against Wyoming last year because it was "ON THE GROUND", but fail to mention Utah's only touchdown in the 2nd HALF was also ON THE GROUND. In fact, the only pass play of the 4th quarter was on a 3rd-and-long situation, and thrown by the backup QB.

Since you don't watch the games, nor post objective comments, perhaps you should worry about your own team in your own bubble on your own articles. You've only shown your own lack of class. I'm embarrassed FOR you.

GO UTES!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 12, 2007 4:42 p.m.

Coaches say a lot worse on the sidelines, just watch NFL Films and count all the 'bleeps'. Imagine if coaches got reprimanded for everything they say, not just what is seen.

• John Doe
    Nov. 12, 2007 4:27 p.m.

Look at it this way,

That game will give us something to talk about for a long time. It will fuel future games beyond being just another MWC game. It gives local tv & radio talk shows something more to talk about than "how Max Hall will do the next week" It gives some national fuel to actually give some notice to the MWC.

It was slightly negative sportsmanship-wise, but think of the drama that will mount up for years to come!

• Wish I could watch
    Nov. 12, 2007 3:37 p.m.

I only wish I could have watched what all of you are talking about. A rivalry has started here that won't be going away soon. What are we going to do about the TV problem?? That is the bigger problem.

• Where is the class?
    Nov. 12, 2007 3:03 p.m.

Neither team showed any class in this game. What kind of pathetic program would kick an onside kick when up by 43? I don't agree with Glenn flipping the bird to Utah, but what is worse letting your emotions getting out of hand or spitting in the face of an opposing program. Flying the bird wasn't predetermined. It slipped out due to frustration. The call by Utah's coaching staff to kick an onside kick was for the sole purpose of being classless. I have to admit Utah did an excellent job of showing how classless a program can be. As forthe previous comment....who kicks onsides to give the other team good field position. I guess Utah fans are as smart as their coaches are classy.
    Oh yeah...BYU's score last year was not run up. A final score came in late...ON THE GROUND. Can't stop the kids from playing but you can play a classy game. Maybe Utah should take notes.

• Whittingham...wait until next ye
    Nov. 12, 2007 2:24 p.m.

As a graduate of the University of Utah and a BYU football fan, I hope you take it to Utah next year after Wittingham's lousy behavior in last Saturday's game. It is because of that type of idiotic behavior (coach and fans) that I and many other Utah grads cheer for anybody but Utah. Divine intervention kept Wittingham from accepting a job at the Y. Go Mendenhall! Go Pokes!

• Realist
    Nov. 12, 2007 1:58 p.m.

Everybody involved should be embarrassed. Utah and Wyoming are two minor-league programs who have classless coaches who can only get some national media attention by acting like five-year-olds. No wonder Joe Tiller and Urban Meyer dumped you both the first chance they got.

• RE: BYwho?
    Nov. 12, 2007 1:07 p.m.

I'm not so sure you can claim a 55-7 BYU victory over Wyoming last year as running up the score. I'm sure you didn't watch the game or even read a box score but BYU wasn't faking punts and trying on-side kicks after the game was well in hand. Do I care that Whittingham did it? No. Was it bush league? Maybe in somebody's book. There's no question he was trying to send a message, however classless anyone deems it.

• Major Utah FAN right here!!
    Nov. 12, 2007 1:00 p.m.

Well all I have to say is at the end of the day the UTES completly demolished Wyoming....NUFF SAID!!!

• Go Utes!
    Nov. 12, 2007 12:44 p.m.

Who cares? Wyoming had it coming. Coach Glenn guaranteed a win, so what does he expect? The only story we should be talking about is how badly Utah dominated Wyoming. Hopefully, they are hurting so bad after that beating that they will take it out on BYU this week. GO COWBOYS!

• Good for the Mountain
    Nov. 12, 2007 12:42 p.m.

The MWC is just lucky that they signed that "wonderful" deal with the Mountain channel, so that NO ONE saw what happened. Just think if it had been on ESPN, it would of been the top story nationwide. Thanks Mountain, you finally did do something right.

• He doesn't remember it?
    Nov. 12, 2007 12:26 p.m.

Joe Glenn doesn't remember flipping off Kyle? To me that says this must be pretty normal and common behavior for him for it to be such an automatic thing that he wasn't even aware of what he did.

I wonder if the MWC will consider the circumstances and be more lenient to him. Should they be? Should they allow one coach to really rub the other coach's nose in it and then penalize him for such a reaction? Even though I think Glenn was wrong to do that I think some leniency is in order. And I think Ute fans would have to agree since it looks like there are many of them who are ok with everything coach Kyle did in that game. All's fair in love and war, right? So maybe they shouldn't even be upset with coach Glenn but instead look at it as another great Ute achievement.

• Football
    Nov. 12, 2007 11:48 a.m.

A finger is not that big of deal. We all know what is said back and forth on a football field. Glenn made a mistake and knew he had screwed up. His team was getting killed and had given up on him.

Why is anyone suprised about this. It isn't that big of a deal. The MWC should spend more time fixing the disaster of a tv deal they have made. I think it is obvious that no exposure from the tv deal is the reason why BYU isn't in the top 25 yet.

• BYwho?
    Nov. 12, 2007 11:45 a.m.

Besides the pointless onsides kick, cougar fans who think the Utes ran up the score need only look back to last season when they ran it up to 55-7 on Wyoming

• Anonymous
    Nov. 12, 2007 11:44 a.m.

Again two classless programs led by two classless coaches. Nothing new...Why are we all so suprised?

• 3rd Gen Cougar Fan
    Nov. 12, 2007 11:30 a.m.

Whittingham was taunting Glenn with the onside kick, I am sure of that. He even half admitted as much in the post game interview. But Glenn showed even less class (and maturity) by giving the finger. Did he think no one would notice?!?! It's too bad too cause I like Joe Glenn and I think he was treated unfairly for the "guarantee" comments. He was speaking to a pep rally for heaven sakes! It wasn't like he made those statements to the press.

• Get over it.
    Nov. 12, 2007 11:08 a.m.

Lets get over it. I think we have all had a time or two in life where our emotions got the better of us. With that said...how bout the UTES defense? WOW!!!

• bob
    Nov. 12, 2007 10:39 a.m.

The whole thing is just a couple of drama queens living up to the 'bad blood' hype. Where is the sportsmanship and leadership from the start to finish. We talk more about this then the play. Shame on the coaches on both sidelines. Maybe it is just something to sell more tickets???

• Multiple Choice Quiz
    Nov. 12, 2007 10:31 a.m.

Actually the coach was giving the Utah Fans a multiple choice question about himself with his finger. The quiz is as follows:
    A. Total # of my brain cells
    B. My age
    C. My IQ
    D. A, B and C combined

And the correct answer is: Hint it is not A, B or C

Yeh, Whittingham also showed no class on the onside kick.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 12, 2007 10:11 a.m.

What's the point of running up the score when the game is in hand? Where's the class in rubbing it in, in a victory. There is no sportmanship in that. With that said their is also no sportsmanship giving the finger.

• GoodGuyGary
    Nov. 12, 2007 9:40 a.m.

The drama started with his "guarantee", and I will like to run up the score if I am the opponent. Even I am a BYU fan, I still think Utes did what they should. Now it is BYU's turn to shut them out. Go Cougars!

• Try this on for size.
    Nov. 12, 2007 9:35 a.m.

I can't believe we're still talking about the onside kick and how classless it was! look at it this way, personally I think Witt felt bad that the Cowgirls couldn't get past the 50 so he wanted to give them some decent field position and an opportunity to put some points on the board. What happened after they got the ball on their own 30, oh yeah, they had stupid penalties and ended up punting the ball away. The cowgirls are the ones that made themselves look stupid and I loved every second of it. GO UTES!!!