Within reach — BYU Cougars have realistic shot at matching '06 record

• Ditto
    Oct. 25, 2008 12:15 p.m.

We live in Utah and have DISH. We don't get Mtn either. It's all about MONEY!

• @Utah Cougar
    Oct. 18, 2007 6:29 p.m.

Not only do come off as arrogant WRONG are you are WRONG to bid good riddance to out of state cougar fans that use this post to express outrage at the crappy TV deal. Easy for the you to sit there in the valley where you have the OPTION to pay the piper and watch the game! Have you tried the internet gig? I think not. Some of us out of state fans take pride in BYU football, and genuinely
    miss the opportunity to SEE the games and discuss the team with other college football fans. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IT IS ONLY THE COUGAR FANS THAT HAVE NOTICED BYU IS OFF THE NATIONAL SPOTS NETWORKS?

• Utah Cougar
    Oct. 18, 2007 12:42 p.m.

To all the Utah fans reading this blog...what are you doing? Is there nothing of note out there for Utah fans to read, you have to come and read a blog about our school. I am a BYU fan and I never even bother reading an article about Utah. They're not my team. And as for the so called Cougar fans who live out of state and now root for bigger conference schools, good riddance you bandwagon fan. I have family in New York, Virginia and all over the US and they still root for the Y. They deal with the crappy TV deal and listen to their team on the internet. They are truly invested. And Utah fans, at least Tulsa and UCLA were formidable opponents (unlike UNLV, Air Force and Oregon State). Urban has left the state and doesn't care about you anymore. Coach Whit is this close to getting canned because Utah has some sort of Bipolar disease and can't win against my high school JV squad.

• Inconsistency
    Oct. 18, 2007 11:00 a.m.

Who really cares that Whittingham is 4-2 against BCS teams when he can't even win the simplest conference games. That only shows inconsistency which is reflective upon BAD coaching. How can you get blanked by UNLV? And lose to AF at your home? Whittingham is a bad head coach, end of story!!

• Out of State observation
    Oct. 18, 2007 5:37 a.m.

Just a question. I give credit to Utah for getting up for their games against teams from BCS conferences, and I agree they have been the better consistent MWC representation in the conference against the BCS conferences but I think it has a something to do with the fact that those teams definitely don't get up for Utah. Utah doesn't inspire those teams. They are more worried about their own conference or other more notable non conference foes. BYU was the same way in the 80's and 90's and alot of big conference teams got caught off guard. Now, BYU doesn't get over looked. Teams like Tulsa, PAC 10 teams, etcetera get up for BYU. Those coaches remember those classic games of over looking the Y and getting burned. Within the conference (MWC/old WAC), BYU was/is the measuring stick. From ex players from CSU, New Mex, AF, Wy, they all say beating BYU was the best measuring stick on average of how well their program was doing. Utah has had good years in recent history but they said they didn't have the mystique of beating BYU....

• BYU online streaming
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:43 p.m.

The cstv.com online thing is about as bad as the MTN. Last year I streamed the BYU @ Utah game and this year decided to get a year subscription for $100.00 instead of the $15.00 per game. The game selection started out pretty good at the beginning of the year and I was able to see games all over the country as well as BYU games but for the past month or so it seems the only games they have on video are I-AA and Sun Belt games. They do have the BYU games vs TCU and Utah scheduled to be streamed online though but that doesn't really mean a whole lot. There is no way I'm doing a year subscription again. They advertise that they have live games as well as the ability to watch a recorded game but half of the BYU games are never archived. Right now they only have the Arizona, Tulsa, and New Mexico games archived and never recorded the UCLA, Air Force, or UNLV games even though they had both the UCLA and Air Force games scheduled to be streamed live. its redicuous the service we get!

• Mars
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:10 p.m.

What great team is left on BYU's schedule? If we lose another game it will be an upset.

• Get to bed coogals
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:30 p.m.

coogals fans, get to bed and rest up for the powerhouse you are facing on Saturday... no time to post comments with the mighty Eastern Washington High coming to town. Save your energy so you can Wise and Pout for the little bro. forever coogals.

Go Eastern Washington High!!

• The MTN needs to go
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:28 p.m.

The mountain needs to freakin go..I live in Utah and can't even get most the BYU games. I feel bad for the out of state people that don't get to watch the cougs unless they get to a Bowl game. What the...

• BYU
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:28 p.m.

I live in Brazil and I can't seem to find BYU games on television. Can you tell my provider to get me some games. C'mon you crying babies!

• i hate byu
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:50 p.m.

haha whats up the the LBUN? thats byu talk for "little brother up north" right? lol how are the utes the little brother when we own the overall head to head series and have won 4 of the last 5 games in a row lol. and have represented against teams such as ucla-which byu couldnt handle-... and scoring 41 on louisville lol. you guys lost to tulsa right???? haha just checking. if someone could now explain how utah is the younger brother of these 2 teams please enlighten me lol.

• I got things to do
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:39 p.m.

Can someone come over and throw the ball for this eweyt fan to chase for awhile.

That, or someone's gonna call unwanted animal control.

• Premature Ejubulation
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:36 p.m.

Shouldn't you wait until after the TCU game?

• We are BYU
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:27 p.m.

BYU will win easily the MWC and play in the Vegas Bowl. We shoulda coulda beat UCLA and we were a few plays away from beating TULSA and the refs cost us both those games. Who are we going to play in the PAC? Which over-rated PAC team are we going to dismantle again like last year - I'm hoping we end up playing CAL or USC - all others are an inferior match up. Keep griping Utes - you know BYU will rock your world next month!

GO COUGS!!!

• Eweyt Troller
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:13 p.m.

I get it.

You... dont have a drinking problem.

You drink
    You blog
    You fall down
    You blog some more

No problem

I just made that up myself, but your past three blogs inspired me... and I added one more... I know... LOL you funny eweyt LBUN.

• Cougar Hater
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:50 p.m.

alright to save everyone alot of time and re-reading, here is about every comment a byu fan is gonna make on this post lol:

"We have higher attendance numbers than Utah"
    "We won a national championship in 1984"
    "We get a better education at byu"
    "When Utah students graduate they'll be serving us byu graduates hamburgers"
    "We beat team A, who beat team B, who beat team C who is ranked #2. Therefore we should be #1
    "We lost but at least it was to a ranked team"
    "Utah graduates will be washing us byu graduate's cars"
    "We are 10-15 plays away from an undefeated season this year"
    "We would have beaten (insert team name here) if we didn't come out flat"
    "The refs cost us that game"
    "Even though the other team scored more points than us, we won that game"
    "Utah fans are all drunks"

• BYU alumna in So Cal
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:34 p.m.

Hey, "Make The Change"-

I'm assuming you must have read my post since you replied, but it's not here now.

Did my comment get zapped because I mentioned that unhappy viewers could sign a petition about adding The MTN to satellite?? And I alluded to the web address?? That one can easily find by Googling???

Just curious, as I have never posted here before.

P.S. I appreciate your encouragement to support local teams that I CAN watch, rather than moan about not being able to see BYU: HOWEVER, I am faithfully, sincerely, and monogamously devoted to BYU and I REFUSE to "play the field" or spread my football affections around indiscriminately. SO THERE.

• BYU Fans....
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:16 p.m.

Can you say, "The Special Olympics"? I can hear it now, " You can do it, come on!!!!" Oh yea, I forgot, you are going to win the BCS Nat. Ch. next year. Dang it, I spoke too soon. LOL!!!!!!!!

• Evening Ewe Ewet
    Oct. 17, 2007 6:53 p.m.

RE: complaining byu fans

I think most people on the blog are upset (I being one) that we cannot see either BYU or Utah play. I enjoy both teams.

Take your negative attitude and turn it into something positive like folding your Red Sweatshirts or thinking up new lyrics for BYU's fight song.

• RE:RE: complaining byu fans
    Oct. 17, 2007 6:49 p.m.

Did that comment make you feel better?

Worried about TCU so get your smack in now?

Your post means... what?

Do you have a frat contest going on who can post the most idiotic post on a BYU blog the night before the game.

TCU literally "IS" your biggest game of the season next to BYU (and it's on the road. I forget, are you guys a good road team?). You better hope your boys have better things to do than read your embarrassing blog and wonder if it is worth getting "invested" (I know, Urban copyed it before Bronco) for fans with your mental magnitude.

I think there is a blog about Utah going on somewhere where they are posting about the UCLA game, and the mythical BCS Busting Trophy.

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya...

• RE: complaining byu fans
    Oct. 17, 2007 6:31 p.m.

What is your record at the Vegas bowl in the past two years? 1-1....so as soon as the MWC can consistently beat the Pac-10 #5 team then you byu fans can complain! 1-1 try consistently winning bowl games and then complain.

Once again what is your record at the Vegas bowl? 1-1
    What is your record at bowl games in the past 10 years? 1-5.....1-5? Get real, instead of complaining just worring about winning a bowl game.

One other question? Doesn't some website predict UCLA to go to the Vegas bowl? How did your team fair against them this year?

That is right blame the refs.

Just be greatful that you do not have to play on Christmas day like Utah did when they beat Carson Palmers USC team in 2001!

• Wondering
    Oct. 17, 2007 6:13 p.m.

As a DTV subscriber, I currently pay about $15/month for Setanta sports in order to watch rugby. I'd pay for a dedicated BYU station.

• anonynous
    Oct. 17, 2007 5:59 p.m.

comcast will not give rights to the mtn to dish or directtv, because they want the nfl ticket owned by direct tv. directtv will not give the rights to comcast, so they are playing hardball with each other, it is all about politics and money. BYU is the most influential school in the MWC, they need to take a stand and leave the contract if necessary and pay the money it would take to get out. they will make more money broadcasting on BYU tv and charge for advertising.

• Wondering
    Oct. 17, 2007 5:01 p.m.

Does anybody know who is behind the constant adds encouraging us to call DirecTV and request the mtn? I'm suspicious enough to wonder if it's not Comcast pushing their own agenda on us to try to convince DirecTV to pick up their nasty little station.

• Big Al
    Oct. 17, 2007 4:36 p.m.

Hey "Make the Change" -- I took your advice and watched USC last week against Arizona. Boy, what a blast that was . . . as you said, "more fun." I think next week I will really lose my head and try to tune into Ball State vs. Akron.

• MFM Not SoHappyValleyResident
    Oct. 17, 2007 4:29 p.m.

Whaats up? Somebody whacked my smack comment about the Great Mountain West Conference/No BYU Football. Dick Harmon/Disharmony....why don't you do so good old fashion investigative reporting and do a job on the why, who, and what can be don't about the travesty of no BYU/Utah football games? Good job....!!!!!!

• SoonerCougarJr.
    Oct. 17, 2007 4:27 p.m.

Jorgensen calls BYU "a hard-working, blue-collar team." The hard-working part I believe, but blue-collar? Hardly, guys. BYU is about as blue-collared as Stanford, unless we're talking jersey color.

Alabama, Miami, Arkansas, Oklahoma--these are blue-collar teams.

Quit talking tough, and just play the game. Legitimacy will be born of action, not talk.

• Make the change
    Oct. 17, 2007 4:00 p.m.

almuna in So Cal - start watching USC. It's more fun.

• MFM Utah County Resident
    Oct. 17, 2007 4:00 p.m.

Remember Harmon, and BYU fans...this years schedule in no way approximates last years. Last years team would be undefeated this year. So what if the Cougars win out? Back to the Las Vegas bowl! Wow!! The MWC as I've said ad nausium is a joke. We don't even see the games anyway...so what is all the noise about football anyway. I don't care about football with the decision about the TV provider. I'm waiting for the NBA. Harmon....why don't you go after the goofy people to made this idiotic terrible decision? And while you are at it, why don't you punch their hot button about getting rid of the commissioner or get serious about starting another conference....which could include Hawaii, Boise State and Nevada Reno (we have the wrong Nevada school in our conference).

• Grasping the obvious
    Oct. 17, 2007 2:59 p.m.

These comments have been recycled for a good 2 months now, just with little tweaks.

Also, I can' get the mtn.

Can Craig Thompson Hear Us????????????

Oct. 17, 2007 2:55 p.m.

When my friend and I heard that the BYU-UNLV game was going to be on the Mtn. channel I called a local sports bar since none of the homes in southeastern Idaho have the Mtn. channel (it is all DirecTV and DISH). I got by the manager of the sports bar that "yes, we have the Mtn. Channel". We showed up 30 minutes early and the manager looked all through his cable channels. No Mtn. Channel. He said, "I guess Cable One doesn't have that Channel". I think he had mistaken the Mtn. channel for one of the satellite channels. (And I was told that the cable company in this area is not Comcast, but Cable One, who doesn't carry the Mtn.) So, we left and drove back home where we listened to the game "1940's style" on the radio while sitting in the living room.
    Something must be done about the travesty that is Comcast and the Mtn. channel. I am well aware that ESPN's weird days and times of games were insulting. However, as as a native of Ohio said to me at last years Las Vegas bowl, "That's too bad, we always used to see BYU games".

• bluefish
    Oct. 17, 2007 2:12 p.m.

What's with all the complaining about not getting the mountain channel? Heck, I get it, but with the cameraman getting fooled more often than the 5 year olds in the stands, I didn't see much more of the game than those of you that don't get the channel did!

• Utah wins in Provo
    Oct. 17, 2007 2:11 p.m.

Utah's record in Provo over the last TEN YEARS: 4-1.

There's no home field advantage in this rivalry, certainly not for BYU.

• computer screen? just for now!
    Oct. 17, 2007 2:09 p.m.

Watching games on the internet is fine, I guess, & may be a temporary solution, however, I did not buy a big screen TV so that I can hunch over my computer screen to watch sports!!! It would be logical and stand to reason that eventually the MTN will die...I mean what company wants to advertise on a channel that has a limited market? Unfortunately, it sounds like reason and logic was left out of this TV deal.

• Boston Ute
    Oct. 17, 2007 2:09 p.m.

BYU will win every game before the Utah game, then lose to Utah in a thriller and lose their bowl game badly. Utah will probably suffer one more loss to New Mexico, beat BYU, and win their bowl game. The PAC-10 is stacked this year, so the fifth team will beat BYU.

Although I don't see most of the teams in the MWC beating BYU, there is no comparing this team to last year's. BYU squeaked by New Mexico, hardly the domination we saw from the Y in every conference game last year.

Utah is all over the place, but nobody can deny that they get up for big games. I'm not the type of Ute fan that only wants to beat BYU, but there's no doubting the Utes will get up for that game. They're strengths also perfectly counter BYU's weaknesses, and they'll win in Provo, so I Utah wins.

It looks like we're back to having a BYU team that always wins in conference and never wins against BCS teams, while Utah is perennial conference underachiever who always represents well against the big boys.

Bronco's record vs. BCS = 2-6.

Whit's record vs. BCS = 4-2.

• @dh
    Oct. 17, 2007 1:43 p.m.

How have Utah and TCU proven they are good road teams this year?

TCU has lost at AFA and Wyoming and barely beat Stanford.

Utah has lost at Oregon State and UNLV (both badly) and hung on to win at Louisville (a good win, no doubt).

During the Whittingham era, Utah has been a miserable road team. Other than the victory over 6-6 BYU in 2005 and Louisville this year, there is nothing else.

Claiming TCU and Utah have shown to be good road teams is curious.

• Boycott
    Oct. 17, 2007 1:32 p.m.

Boycott sounds good. I get the mtn. already, but I think recruiting out of state and out of the mountain west region is going to get more difficult for BYU and the rest of the conference without national exposure. BYU pulls a fair number of recruits nationally, particularly from the west coast. Re:3rd Gen Cougar Fan posted the idea of noting the sponsors for the mtn. this weekend. Good call. If everyone will do so, then post next week, we can notify those companies that we are boycotting, and put the pressure on the mtn.

• BYU FAN in WA ST
    Oct. 17, 2007 1:15 p.m.

I beleive there is a way to watch BYU on the internet, but at a price, $14.95/game.
    Go to cstv.com
    Look for Live Games
    Drop down menu - click on gametracker
    Fill in applicable search:
    View by School - BYU
    Sport - football
    Date - This week, today etc
    This will take you to gametracker screen
    Look at the bottom of scrren, Click to continue.
    On Saturday options will pop up to pay for the game. You also have to estabalish a log in user ID and password before you can pay for the game. It does work, but the picture is small, but you can see what is happening. I still hate the mtn. and have called Comcast and complained that they need to provide this as an option for pay for view. All I get is "never heard of the mtn." Oh well, Go BYU!

• BYU Rules!!!
    Oct. 17, 2007 1:06 p.m.

Dick Harmon Rules!!!
    Cosmo Rules!!!
    Greg Wrubel Rules!!!
    BYU coeds Rule!!!
    Broncos firesides Rule!!!
    BYU should be undefeated...But they had turnovers!!!
    Matter of fact BYU should never lose a game again because they are a band of brothers that are fully invested!!!
    BYU football is TRUE!!!

• dh
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:59 p.m.

BYU plays both TCU and Utah at home so that should help them however both TCU and Utah are both outstanding road teams as they have proven this year. Wyoming might be the toughest game remaining for BYU since they will be playing a good Wyoming team in a snow storm up in the forsaken plains of Laramie. I actually think BYU will win or lose the conference crown on the ground. If they can continue to run the ball with the two good backs they have they will be champs. Hall is too careless with the ball (unlike Beck last year) to win with big passing yards.

• Ygrad
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:57 p.m.

I think that BYU will have tough matchups against Wyoming, TCU, and Utah. I think they can probably win every game for the rest of the season, and then to keep up with tradition, lose in the bowl game.

Living in CA, I also cannot get the MTN. Unfortunately, KSL still uses that annoying Greg Rubell (spelling?) guy to "announce" their games, so I can't listen to the games online. Listening to him pander to BYU zealots (I graduated from BYU with two degrees, by the way, but I'm no zealot) without actually calling the game drives me up the wall. His referring to the players by first name only also rubs me the wrong way.

Looks like the occasional game on Versus or CSTV is all I can hope for. I've had to start following the Cal Bears to keep some sort of football sanity. Talk about irony. Going from watching the most conservative school around to the most liberal.

• d. mickel
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:56 p.m.

For those of you who are wishing there were some way you could see the Cougar games this year but are outside the pathetic confines of the MTV, you can have all of their games sent live to your computer screen with a Slingbox setup. Seems like it's around $150-$200/yr. I don't have their contact # here in front of me but don't mind passing it on to anyone who would like it. You can reach me at . I get it on the Mtn...lousy coverage, but at least I can see it.

Good luck! It's been an interesting year so far. And oh, yeah--- that price includes the BYU Basketball games also. Seems like a good deal.

• Thanks "a little"
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:38 p.m.

If some enterprising Fan would "copy to disc" for a few bucks, sounds like in a couple of months they could buy the MTN (not a serious suggestion to REAL BYU fans, but I am sure there are some "out riders" on the post).

A week later is better than not at all. Back in the 80's I'd get VHS tapes sent down to FLA just to keep up!!!

• AZ Coug
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:30 p.m.

What are the online options? Can I find them if I google BYU Football?

• Zoobie
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:21 p.m.

Just like last year, BYU arrogance (inablility of leaving it all on the field), and lack of good coaching, (penilties and turnovers), the cougars will again have two losses in games they should have won. This will replay over and over every year till BYU players get over themselves and PLAY TO FINISH.
    Boise State recuits 1 and 2 star athletes every year, but still PLAY'S with heart from beginning to end, no excuses. Until BYU reaches that level plan on a 2 loss BYU for the next 10 years.

• How can we watch online?
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:12 p.m.

I haven't seen online broadcasts being made available - did I miss something?

• Re:3rd Gen Cougar Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:10 p.m.

Yo, you posted the same comments yesterday like "Did you know Utah plays Weber next year?" You got anything new to say? You sound like a parrot to me.

To everyone else..Let us pay close attention (for those of us who have the MTN) to the advertising done for the Utah and Y game this week and call those sponsors and threaten to boycott and then actually boycott until the MWC expands their coverage. Take the power back! I will post as many sponsors as I can next week with the phone numbers. Spread the word! Go Utes and Cougars!

• a little something
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:03 p.m.

KBYU is showing the UNLV game tonight at 9:00 MDT.

• Cougar fan in Wisconsin
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:53 a.m.

To the "watch better football" commenter, I live in Madison, Wisconsin where football is a big deal (usually). But, not only do I not get the MTN, but I can't even get the Big Ten network on our local cable. These independent conference stations are ridiculous and are only hurting the universities themselves because if the fans can't watch the games, why will they donate?

• Blueheron
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:50 a.m.

Idle speculation. When we get to 5-2, the odds will be fairly good that we can get to 6-2, etc.

Realistically speaking Air Force's 4-1 is looking very good.

When Utah loses to TCU it will come down to BYU, New Mexico, and Air Force.

• BlueBoy
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:47 a.m.

When the coaches finally decide to feature Unga and give Hall more quick pass plays, the turnovers will drop dramatically. The UNLV game is perfect evidence of the need to feature the run. It's amazing that our experienced O-line keeps allowing blind-sided sacks. Very bewildering, that.

• @3rd Gen Cougar Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:42 a.m.

Your facts are plain wrong.

USU being absent on this year's football schedule has nothing to do with a disagreement. Their absence on the basketball schedule does. And, BYU and USU have not played every year for decades. There were LaVell years and Crowton years where USU and BYU didn't play.

I am a Ute fan and am totally against the recent additions of DI-AA opponents to both of our schedules. After next year, each team will have scheduled two such games in the previous four seasons. Prior to that, Utah hadn't scheduled one for 12 years or so and BYU hadn't scheduled one for about 8 years. Now, we see them regularly.

It is a sad trend for both of our schools.

• Ha Ha!
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:36 a.m.

That 6-6 season comment was really funny! I think you got the team wrong, though...

• Watch the games
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:22 a.m.

If you can't watch it on TV, watch it online. There are options, use them. Online viewers are a great way to show what other providers are missing by not carrying the Mtn.

• 3rd Gen Cougar Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:14 a.m.

Actually, I guess we didnt play USU a couple times during the Crowton years also, but you get my point. Both Utah and BYU have scheduled 1-AA opponents in recent years, as have most other teams in the nation. Ever heard of a little school called Appalachian State? I bet you have after this college football season! Funny thing too, E. Washington will probably be a tougher opponent than the poor Aggies would be.

• paul
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:09 a.m.

to this just in....

I believe in being a realist also but 6-6, what are you thinking????
    E. Washington, San Diego and CSU all should be wins, and I'm sure we can get at least one of the three games against TCU, Wyoming and Utah. If I'm not mistaken that would be at least 8-4. I'm not ready to say BYU will be 10-2, but 6-6 is not realistic.

• 3rd Gen Cougar Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:08 a.m.

RE: cougar pretenders

Did you forget how your team "made a statement" against N. Arizona last year? Did you know your team is scheduled to play Weber State next year? I hope you make a statement for the conference too against your 1-AA opponents. BYU only scheduled E. Washington because of a disagreement with USU (did you notice they are not on the Cougar's schedule this year for the first in decades?). BYU had to schedule someone on short notice to come to LES without a 1-and-1 road game the next year. Nobody else would take that offer. BYU and USU have come to an agreement and will resume the traditional series next year. Get your facts before you post that kind of smack. You just made yourself look stupid.

• Watch some good football
    Oct. 17, 2007 11:07 a.m.

Complaints from Houston, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Washington, etc about not being able to see BYU?!?!?! Come on people - you are sitting in football havens, watch the Big12, the Pac10, etc. You will see better games than the ones you are missing. Why not root for the home team? That's the American thing to do!

It's like out here there are the Auburn fans and the Bama fans, and then there's that wierdo who pulls for Notre Dame cuz he's Irish. Make the switch to your home team, and be a real football fan.

• LEAVETHEMWC dot com
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:46 a.m.

most of these comments are about how lame the tv deal is and how lame the conference is... BYU should leavethemwc (dot com)

like "typical Y fans" said, do something about it. got ideas? join the discussion

• Boise Blue BYU
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:36 a.m.

I have the MTN and prefer it over CSTV and VS any day. The comentators on CSTV and VS hate the MWC anyway. Trev Alberts has never liked the MWC and BYU. KSL on-line is great to listen to. In Boise you can only get MTN on cable, CSTV and VS are on dish. You pay a price for both but I love my Cougars!

• This just in ....
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:35 a.m.

BYU is on pace for another 6-6 season.

Let's not count our eggs before they are hatched Mr. Harmon. We still have a few tough games out there especially traveling to Wyoming.

• Yiseone
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:34 a.m.

All BYU football fans that can't watch the games-I feel your pain. Let's not make ESPN out to be the good guys. They were going to force Tuesday and possibly Sunday games on our teams. They showed no respect for the Mountain small market teams. They're probably laughing at us now, but they gave our conference little choice but to look elsewhere. Enter Craig Thompson who convinced all athletic directors we would have a great tv package including cable and satellite. The whole thing is a mess. I don't blame you for losing interest and for being frustrated. The contract has been signed and there appears to be few loop holes allowing for better coverage. The frustration is mounting and I can't help but think something is going to break. Hang in there. We know Utah (the state) is not the center of the universe.

• Mo BYU fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 10:23 a.m.

Living in SW Mo I had the opportunity to join the THOUISANDS of BYU fans for the Tulsa game! Opps! Worth the trip anyway. BYU has dedicated fans EVERYWHERE and we ALL to recieve access to BYU football on TV. The Big Ten is accessible, the Pac 10; ND; CBS caters to SEC. If the MWC wants to be a "big boy" they have the power. Seems they don'e have the nerve. Let's get back to ESPN; they treated the Y football program with respect- they put them on-air!

• re: Typical Y fans
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:58 a.m.

What have the other schools done? If it has been successful I will gladly add it to my regiment of calling DirecTV and Dish every day and writing to my congressman to ignore the war and focus on more important matters, like football. Just want to know, what have the U fans done except for stop going to games because their team is bipolar and can't beat a high school team?

• BYU fan in VA
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:54 a.m.

So why doesn't BYU-TV rebroadcast recient BYU football games? They've rebroadcast the BYU vs SMU Holiday Bowl several times.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:52 a.m.

to cougar pretender

i may be wrong but i know im not when i say you UTAH fans have very short memories. I do believe tha Norther Arizona should ring a bell to you if not try looking at you steller schedule last year and that will remind you how great you really are.

• BYU Needs OUT
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:49 a.m.

BYU needs to leave the MWC. This TV deal is bad and will be a part of the MWC for another eight years. The Mtn broadcast is awful and nobody can see it. Plus it hurts the play on the field (you can only use the TV broadcast to review calls and with Vs./Mtn camera men that isn't much help.) key plays didn't go BYU's way against UCLA because the camera work couldn't over rule poor PAC-10 officiating on the field. BYU needs to threaten to leave the MWC unless the TV deal gets done and now. BYU is the MWC as the red seats at rice "echoes" can testify.

• John In Alberta Now
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:35 a.m.

Out of sight - out of mind could become what happens in the future. I have been an avid Cougar fan since well before I lost my voice at the Miracle Bowl against SMU. I have paid whatever costs I had to to get the games televised in my area including ESPN game plan even this year (in case by fluke I got a chance to see them play). But, if you can't watch something and be a part of it, you can tend to lose interest. Will that happen to BYU supporters. This Baloney of a conference network is crazy as the Big Ten has 2 or 3 channels dedicated to the Big Ten besides always being on network and Espn coverage. The Pac 10 is getting their games broadcast on the fox sports networks as well as other conferences are getting their games broadcast. Comcast isn't doing the conference any favors. Out of sight, out of mind

• Cedar CIty Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:16 a.m.

Have a vavation home near Cedar City and became a fan watching games on TV on KSL. Now, I can't see or hear BYU game broadcast in Cedar City (except night games when KSL radio range is larger). So I stay home in California - still can't see the game but at least I can tune in KSL online. The mtn is a joke. If was a Notre Dame fan, I could see the game on free TV in Los Angeles.

• Typical Y fans
    Oct. 17, 2007 9:16 a.m.

Notice the difference here. Everyone in the MWC dislikes the Mtn. and the tv deal, but it is Y fans that sit around and talk about it, while the other schools' fans try and get something done..

• Wyoming BYU Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:56 a.m.

I have the Mtn. and am able to watch the games. The only benifit that I get is that I see the games instead of just hearing them. The commentary on the Mtn. is bad. They claim to be a t.v. station devoted to MWC teams but they sure give very little thought to the current leader BYU. I turn the T.V. on and then listen to KSL radio do a much better job.

• Dave
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:49 a.m.

I am certain it would get the attention of whichever school you affiliate with if you stop donating to their booster club and tell them its because of The Mtn.

• Kevin
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:41 a.m.

The best way to get things moving with the Mtn is to find out who the advertisers are on the Mtn and everyone boycott them until they negotiate reasonably with Direct TV and Dish Network. Once the advertisers saw a cut in their sales, they would tell the Mtn either get the thing done or they are cancelling their advertising. That's the only way the Mtn will get reasonable in their demands with the satellite companies

• Bob
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:40 a.m.

Clearly BYU and the other MWC schools do not care about their fans or they would have actually paid attention when signing this deal.

By the way, what kind of a company pays as much for a product as CSTV has paid yet refuses to make that product available to customers? If they really wanted to make The Mtn available to the satellite companies, they would make it free. The largest revenue stream is from advertising anyway.

• cougar pretenders
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:30 a.m.

if byu keeps scheduling these stellar non conference gems - 11-2 may not be a problem. Good luck with E. Washington BYU. Make a statement for the conference by winning this one.

• TV Package
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:29 a.m.

BYU cannot "simply" drop out of the MWC TV package - unless they drop out of the MWC.

The package is part of the conference affiliation and the contract extends for many more years. The MWC either needs to renegotiate another deal (unlikely) or somehow get broader distribution. Short of those things happening, we're stuck with this mess for the next decade or so.

By the way, I live on the Wasatch Front and don't have access to the mtn so it isn't just fans in other states that have the problem.

• Whoa Nellie
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:13 a.m.

Complaints about TV coverage need to be sent to those responsible for this mtn. mess; the university presidents who signed on to this bogus deal. Oh, and you might as well cc the respective boards of directors.

And, to Ms. supposedly true blue: Just who do you think will be good enough to beat BYU between now and the bowl game? UNLV is not so bad, just ask your yewt bar buddies.

• Another VA Fan
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:09 a.m.

My biggest issue is NO KBYU REBROADCASTS! That makes no sense...it wouldn't even compete with .mtn...if I had it, that is. Once again, I'll have to listen to the game.

• R
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:04 a.m.

BYU will not play a USU team all year. CSU is similar to them, but they've competed in some big games, whereas USU gets shutout or barely scores.

Mendenhall was definitely the better coach to hire. He's on his way to his second MW championship and that other team doesn't even have a winning record in conference! I'm glad we have the perfect coach for our program, and none of us want him to leave after a loss, unlike some team we know.

• ???
    Oct. 17, 2007 8:03 a.m.

I don't understand how the Mtn commissioner is keeping his job. He should have been fired by now for this disaster. I'm in Utah and can't see the games either. This is just one more way the Mountain West Conference has embarrased itself and proven what a joke it is.

• Gretzky
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:59 a.m.

fire the commish!!! BYU needs to simply drop out of the MWC TV package and seek their own coverage from KSL etc. Tell Comcast to go fly a kite. poor management equals poor product. The mtn. as compared to ESPN and others (who i admit are supported by large revenue generating beer commercials) looks like a college TV station. the audio is so poor at times. the game coverage is no better than Vs. I wish the KSL broadcast could be simulcasted with the mtn. or Vs. pictures. Looking forward to watching Austin Allen (UNLV announcer created a new BYU player) this Saturday. Cougs cannot take this game "Go Litely".

• Stop Losing
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:53 a.m.

Just a thought, maybe when the Cougs stop losing to other conferences someone other than the MTN may want them??

• Jack from Ark
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:51 a.m.

Ditto From Arkansas. I remember complaining about the awful times games were played to appease ESPN but now they were obviously right, better late than MTN.

• Ray VA
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:48 a.m.

I understand the problems with the Mtn TV coverage, but how about the replays on BYU-TV? I love to watch BYU football even when I already know the score. Please, somebody do something! I have two boys who play high school and middle school football. They dream of playing football at BYU. We used to record, watch, and critique BYU games together. They may never be good enough to play college ball, but in case they are I wonder if they will still be as excited about BYU as they are now or if it will be UVA--the team we watch now each week. Hey, BYU do you think you might be loosing some recruiting opportunities by at least not re-broadcasting the games on BYU-TV (which unlike the Mtn has national coverage)?

• Jimmy WA
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:43 a.m.

Relax, it's the Rockies.

• displaced Cougar
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:23 a.m.

We don't get it in Texas either. When will someone consider that BYU has fans throughout the WORLD.. not just in the MTNs.

• Fed Up
    Oct. 17, 2007 7:08 a.m.

Can't wait to see the game on my Comcast cable... oh, that's right, Comcast doesn't carry the Mtn in Houston. For all of their wanting us to complain to DirectTV, Comcast refuses to carry the Mtn in most areas.

• true blue
    Oct. 17, 2007 6:29 a.m.

If they clean up mistakes they'll lose 1 or 2 more times. We were lucky UNLV is so bad

• Chester VA
    Oct. 17, 2007 5:44 a.m.

None of us east of the Mississippi will be able to watch the Cougs either. I miss odd days and start times with ESPN.

• phxcougfan
    Oct. 17, 2007 3:12 a.m.

Ditto...beyond frustrating here in Arizona.

• Okie
    Oct. 17, 2007 3:11 a.m.

We don't get MTN in Oklahoma either. And there are no replays either. What a sad state of affairs.

• hawaiian cougar
    Oct. 17, 2007 2:04 a.m.

I enjoy listening to the BYU games on Dish Network 980--BYU Radio. A least Wrubell's a hoot to listen to. Even if I need Mark Lyons to tell me what really happened.

And, is Greg on a first name basis with all the players? I love the Max to Dennis combo. I thought only brazilian soccer players got to use the first name only mantra.

Anyway, that's how I've been following BYU games this year.

• WA
    Oct. 17, 2007 1:43 a.m.

I can't wait to see the Cougs on TV too. Oh, I forgot, we don't get the mtn in Washington either. I do get the Big Ten Network. Go figure??

• Chico
    Oct. 17, 2007 12:12 a.m.

Can't wait to see the Cougs this week on the MTN. Oh wait we don't get the MTN in California.