Utah

Elder Eyring named new second counselor; Elder Quentin L. Cook is new apostle

Comments

• AJMartin
    Oct. 8, 2007 6:47 a.m.

I have noted the negative comments from some of our faith and those of other faiths. I call to mind the October 1984 address of Elder Bruce R. McConkie in which he said: "The Church is like a great caravanorganized, prepared, following an appointed course, with its captains of tens and captains of hundreds all in place.

"What does it matter if a few barking dogs snap at the heels of the weary travelers? ... The caravan moves on."

Whatever the critics may say, the caravan moves on with Presidents Hinckley, Monson and Eyring leading it. I sustain them!

• P. Norris
    Oct. 7, 2007 6:29 p.m.

Pres. Gordon B. Hinkley is the living prophet for the world. He was chosen by God as are Pres. Erying, Elder Cook, and Elder Gonzalez. This is the Lord's work. Be thankful for that these men were found worthy and willing to serve us. It is my honor to support the leadership of the Lord's church.

• charli
    Oct. 7, 2007 11:55 a.m.

desde edmonton,alberta canada,gracias por el ecelete repotaje para esta gran conferencia,felicitaciones para todos que trabajan en el diario para mantenerlos imformado casi al MINUTO, no hay
    que decir nada mas graciasa mil con amor
    desde canda edmonton provincia de alberta feliz dia de gracia este
    lunes.(solo ayer me incorpore al correo electronico de noticias de uds,estamos felices de tenerlo todos los dias en casa.
    adios amigos a la distancia

• Listen
    Oct. 7, 2007 9:10 a.m.

Did any of you actually listen to Packer's talk? None of these men are any better than anyone else! Quit idolizing them. They are just men, by their own confession.

• eduardo
    Oct. 7, 2007 8:51 a.m.

Hey Deseret! Thanks for your comment!

Greetings from Hidalgo,Mxico.
    Enjoy today's conference session.

God bless.

• Marv.n
    Oct. 7, 2007 2:56 a.m.

I have not yet sustained President Eyring to his new calling but will do so when our Stake observes the broadcast in the coming week. It is spiritually sound and also logically in my think. Each one of the Apostles could fill the position of The First Presidency, and each are being prepared and are prepared to do so, but they will always feel inadequate because they are just men. I feel Heavenly Father wants Elder Eyring at this time and it feels right with me, we are all dictated by our own conscience to agree or disagree.

• Phil Mcracken
    Oct. 7, 2007 1:05 a.m.

Hallelujah! I was happy for the announcement!

• Dale
    Oct. 7, 2007 12:58 a.m.

Good point Kelly. I'm tired of other people being critical of my religion and setting themselves up on a pedastal when they don't even understand their own religious history.

• Kelly
    Oct. 7, 2007 12:14 a.m.

Just a quick observation of Catholic history. The first black Catholic priest, James Augustine Healy, was ordained in 1854. The first black Catholic Cardinal, Laurian Rugambwa, was ordained in 1961. There is yet to be a black Pope. The LDS church is 177 years old. Maybe we'll have to wait 1700 more years from our founding for a black apostle too?

• David in Northern Calif
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:40 p.m.

Wrote something before on a similar story earlier today. Don't know why it (the other story) disappeared.

Wanted to say that Elder (now President) Eyring is
    a very good choice. He's has the qualities of being humble, caring, and knows the Gospel well. I'm sure that the Lord was involved in the selection process and it well pleased.

Both Elder Cook and Elder Gonzalez are also good
    capable men in the Priesthood. I'm sure the Lord
    is pleased in those selections too.

Elder Eyring gave some great thoughts and personal stories in the Priesthood session tonight. Elder Gonzalez also gave some a good address (muy bien) in Priesthhood session on the theme of Earthquakes and carried that "earthquake" theme into many aspects and challenges of our lives.

Looking forward to hearing from Elder Cook soon.

God Bless....

• arc
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:14 p.m.

Mr. Garza,
    As you may know, the revelation on the priesthood was 1978. Since then, there have been black leaders in just about any calling, just about everywhere, including 70's. Apostles are for life. We don't want them dying any faster than they do.

We have people from everywhere. We have a large group of people from spanish speaking countries that are members and have many leaders from there. Give people a chance to be ready. This isn't a contest. No one really wants the callings announced today.

• OSCAR/HOUSTON,TX
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:53 p.m.

MY FAMILY AND I WE SUSTAIN OUR NEW GENERAL AUTHORIES.WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR GREAT LEADERS LIKE PRESIDENT EYRING,ELDER GONZALEZ,ELDER COOK. THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT HEAVENLY FATHER IS GUIDING HIS KINGDOM HERE ON EARTH. IT IS SO GREAT TO KNOW THAT WE HAVE GREAT LEADERS TO LEAD US. I FELT PRESIDENT EYRING'S SPIRIT IN PRIESTHOOD MEETING. HE IS A PROPHET OF GOD. THE GOSPLE IS TRUE AND HIS LEADERS ARE TRUE. HOW GREAT IS TO LIVE THE GOSPLE OF CHRIST.WHAT A GREAT TESTIMONY MEETING WE ARE HAVING. I SURE HOPE EVERYBODY FEELS THE SPIRIT AS I DO.

• Matt
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:16 p.m.

I don't support what these men stand for, but I do think that it was very cute of your president to whollop Mr. Eyring on the noggin. It shows his fun, human side and that's a good thing.

• JWK
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:11 p.m.

What a wonderful opportunity to see that the Lord directs the affairs of His Church. As we can see from some comments, there are those who do not understand the workings of the Lord. I am certain that when Jesus made his choices of leadership some may have questioned why 11 of the 12 were from the same small area of the country.

The Lord is not a respecter of persons. His calls are to those that he needs in some special need at this current time.

And this is not hero worship but an exclamation of faith and joy in the wisdom of God.

• Lutabell
    Oct. 6, 2007 9:37 p.m.

Loved both choices today. I thought it might be Jeff Holland or Henry Eyring and I am not disappointed. I just pray President Hinckley has continued good health. I love him so much. This was the best conference I have seen in years. Absolutely LOVED it.

• Frederick of Logan
    Oct. 6, 2007 9:19 p.m.

To Mr. Garza,
    I am happy you are a Catholic too and I say that kindly. You have your own opinion about how the Church chooses its leaders. The day will come and not too far in the future, when there will be apostles chosen from all over the world. We already have Seventies from all over the world who make a tremendous contribution to how the Church is run.
    I love Brother Eyring and Brother Cook. The Lord wanted these men in the positions that they were called by a prophet of God, President Gordon B. Hinckley. I knew President Faust and after this great man passed away, I chose Brother Henry in my own mind to be the 2nd Counselor.

• Deseret Dawg
    Oct. 6, 2007 8:42 p.m.

To Adalberto Garza - Shame on you for playing the race card on this occasion. Church leaders are called by inspiration. The Lord is no respecter of persons.

Do you see me taking a racial census of the College of Cardinals? Of course not. You should follow the example of Eduardo Murillo; he has the right spirit.

• JD
    Oct. 6, 2007 8:40 p.m.

Mr Garza, This is NOT big business with Affirmitive Action quotas. Have a little faith and leave politics out of it. These are men called by God.

• Stan
    Oct. 6, 2007 8:03 p.m.

Hey Stanford,

New to the church? PH is never shown on TV or broadcasted by radio.

• Mary
    Oct. 6, 2007 7:54 p.m.

Priesthood Session has NEVER been broadcast on cable.

• Stanford Aderibigbe
    Oct. 6, 2007 7:40 p.m.

Can someone tell me why BYU cable is showing football instead of the priesthood session?

• JanB
    Oct. 6, 2007 5:26 p.m.

Millions of members are thrilled to learn that these President Eyring & Elder Cook have been called to serve in these callings. President Eyring is loved and admired. Fewer of us know Elder Cook, but will come to know him in the future.

Negative comments are not instructive.

These men have lived and worked honorable lives. They have raised families that have honored the teachings of Christ. Their accomplishments have been established, but it wouldn't matter if they had the most humble business background.

Talented members throughout the world accomplish significant tasks where they are. They do not need to be in Utah to make a difference. The Lord uses each of us in a manner pleasing to Him. If you don't understand that, my comments will not make a difference.

• eduardo
    Oct. 6, 2007 5:09 p.m.

Brothers and sisters... The only important thing here is that Revelation is still given, the church of Christ has been restored, priesthood is on earth, we have living prophets and today president Eyring has been called as second counselor. And the best is we know church is true! Lets no waste or time by answering comments that attack our leaders and church. I really think that peole who attack others need information in order to understand what they write. And finally... it doesn't matter who you are...catholic, jw, evangelist, etc... the members of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints are always willing to help you and be friends.
    Eduardo Murillo, Hidalgo, Mxico.

• Diana Dane
    Oct. 6, 2007 5:08 p.m.

I am so delighted that Eyring is now second counselor in the First Presidency. I love this Church and I know Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the restoration in this last dispensation. I know Gordon B. Hinkley is a Prophet and I look forward to the rest of General Conference tomorrow.

• A. Bruce Laurence
    Oct. 6, 2007 4:29 p.m.

No one has mentioned anything about Quentin Cook. I was raised and went to school with Quentin and Mary Cook. A finer choice would be IMPOSSIBLE to find. They always, both of them, treated everyone equally. I have the highest admiration for them both. They lived Christ-Like lives from their youngest years. This is a calling for both of them that I find heart warming and with total acceptance of the divine choice. I have known them over 60 years.

• Re: Garza
    Oct. 6, 2007 4:07 p.m.

Perhaps when the LDS church has 500 million members, like the Catholic church, there will be a wider dispersion of ethnicity among the principle quorums of the church. I'm sure that when Catholicism was in its infancy, it's leaders were all Italians. By your logic, Christ was also wrong to call only Hebrew males from Galilee as his Apostles. It seems like God is no respecter of race or ethnicity. Yet our modern world is deeply concerned with ethnicity. God will call whom he will call. Our responsibility is to sustain them, not question their race.

• Carol
    Oct. 6, 2007 4:04 p.m.

There is a great peace that fills us as a member of the church to know that the Lord has spoken and we are being taken care of. The new Church Presidency is complete and many, many prayers have been answered. Thank you Deseret News for the quick news story.

• Dr Earl L. Grossen
    Oct. 6, 2007 3:56 p.m.

Revelation is continuous and applies today as a
    great man and leader is called to work in a world
    wide,influential Chirch of Jesus Christ! I know
    Elder Henry Eyring is a true man of God. Poetman

• chase SL
    Oct. 6, 2007 3:52 p.m.

yeah I was surprized, as Im sure he was too. This is great for the church.

• John Jacqua
    Oct. 6, 2007 3:49 p.m.

Elder Eyring is an excellent choice. But my money was on BA. I probably shouldn't be betting on these things.

• Wayne
    Oct. 6, 2007 3:46 p.m.

Love it. President Eyring's description of how decisions are made in church leading councils was the highlight of the first day of conference

• Madeline A.
    Oct. 6, 2007 3:28 p.m.

Thats cool!!! I was so looking forward to this! I love Elder Eyring. I think he is so cool. Dad and I were betting on who would replace Elder Faust, and I guessed Eyring!! I won. I think he will be great!

• Capt Jack
    Oct. 6, 2007 3:11 p.m.

I love the leader!

• Steve
    Oct. 6, 2007 2:41 p.m.

I wouldn't care if the Lord decided to call someone from a different country. Look at Elder Uchtdorf, he is a wonderful leader and last time I checked, he wasn't raised on Temple Square :) The church is full of different ethnic leaders. I love President Eyring, it doesn't take a member of the church to see that he is full of love for everyone. I saw him at the grocery store several years ago as a teenager and I immediately could tell, he wasn't just any one. Anyway, Ade, I hope you know, that I'm glad that the Catholic church has leaders from all nations, and I think there are many really good leaders. We're just happy, another great person was called to be a prophet (like the Lord has been doing for several years (like 6000)).

• Nan
    Oct. 6, 2007 2:25 p.m.

Ade,

I guess you don't understand, it's not the prophet who calls the leadership of the LDS church. A higher source makes the call. There are worthy leaders in this church from all nationalities and walks of life.

• Dugger
    Oct. 6, 2007 2:15 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see if the new relationship the church has announced it wants to have with the media allows for discussion of any if the topics or subjects the church as not commented on in the past. There are a lot of questions the outside world would love to see met with candid, open responses by the church.

• Gabriel
    Oct. 6, 2007 2:06 p.m.

In response of Ades message, I consider a divine gift to have living prophets nowadays. I do not care if they were born in Northamerica, South, Europe or in Mars. The fact is that they live and help us to live in a better way. And, it is not important where you serve, but how.

Gabriel Gargano, from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

• Shauna
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:51 p.m.

I am so thankful that President Hinckley recieved the revelation to choose Elder Eyring, He will be an asset in that postion. You will continue to be in my prayers.

• Livesay
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:24 p.m.

I was very surprised and excited to hear his name chosen by the Lord to be in the Presidency.

• Jeff
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:15 p.m.

Boring! Its too bad the Des News doesn't treat real news with the same urgency.

• Lynn H.
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:10 p.m.

I love it!

• Jimmy
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:06 p.m.

Nice move. It was kind of like waiting for the last Harry Potter book. Fun to speculate, fun to guess, and fun to see who. Really doesn't impact me much. Glad it is him and not me (grin). We'll never know the behind-the-scene details but now the speculation is over and we'll have to find something else to speculate about. At least the church gives us gossip fodder. Maybe we can all argue about the date for the second coming.

• Gretzky
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:02 p.m.

What a great day!!! Next to hockey this is one of the two best weekends in the year when we can hear from our wonderful leaders!!!

• Donna Davidson
    Oct. 6, 2007 1:01 p.m.

Thank you for an inspiring first session of Conference and for posting the report so quickly into email. How grateful I am for my testimony knowing that the Lord has selected the men most capable to carry His Church forward in these last days!

• Adalberto Garza
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:43 p.m.

I wonder when the Mormon Prophet will call a non-Caucasian to be a member of the Twelve. How about a Hispanic or from Latin America? Can African American serve in the twelve? Asians? Native American? Aren't there any available? Aren't they worthy?

This church is still a heavilly White dominated church led by an all white caucasian male dominated First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve.

I am glad I am Catholic. We have dozens of cardinals that are other than non-Caucasians. I ave the perception that Mormons will always be led or dominated by the white Utah Mormons.

Ade

• Connie
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:23 p.m.

How great the blessings of the Lord, leading his Church. I concur.

• Ron Peterson
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:11 p.m.

It is exciting to see what a scientist, educator, and administrator can bring to leadership in the church, but, of course, it is Pres Eyring's great testimony and commitment to the work that truly qualify him for his new calling!

• Anonymous
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:09 p.m.

"Uncle Hal" is my absolute favorite. It takes a large man to weep in front of millions of people. I am so delighted!!!! And I feel it an honor that I have had the pleasant blessing of knowing Elder Eyring for the past 35 years as my husband has served in CES.
    Sister B.

• CWVinNV
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:06 p.m.

Good choice, The Lord has more work for them to do, So Eyring is there to help with the restoration of the gospel and I know that the church is TRUE!!!!!!

• Hillary
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:06 p.m.

I'm so excited!! Wow... the Church is true! I have chills!

• Gospel Lover
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:06 p.m.

Well this is quite the testimony meeting now isn't it. THAT'S AWESOME that we are bearing them to the Deseret News! Thank for the incredibly quick posting. I, too, missed it due to work. CAN I GET AN AMEN?!

• John
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:05 p.m.

Righteous!

(Actually, it was Ricks College.)

• Jessie
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:04 p.m.

I would also like to thank you for posting this so fast. I don't get to hear a lot of church news because I'm always at work. I was so excited to hear the news!

• Harry Gephart 11:55 a.m. 10/06/0
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:03 p.m.

My wife and I and our Family are pleased and honored to support and sustain Pres. Henry B. Eyring as the 2nd Couns. in the 1St Presidency. The Lord does not make mistakes..He is the Man prepared for this Great Calling. We send our Love and Support to all of the Great Leaders Guiding the Church at this Time..
    Sincerely
    The Gephart's

• David Edwards
    Oct. 6, 2007 12:02 p.m.

The Lord lives and oversees the affairs of His Kingdom, calling his leaders through revelation. I join my voice with others here in sustaining those called to their new positions.

• Cat
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:58 a.m.

Wonderful choice and the Lord`s plan moves continues

• Eli Olive
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:48 a.m.

Thank the Lord for the continuation of the revelation to a Living leaders on this earth. Any of them could fill in yet HE called Elder Eyring.

• Ralph Faneus
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:42 a.m.

As in the days of old, the Lord speaketh and His Will be Done. I sustain these brethren as Servants of God in as much the Spirit does bear this Witness to Me. Hosanna Hosanna to God and the Lamb!!!

• Brother Juarez
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:39 a.m.

The church is true and "the gospel continues to roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth."

• Pericles A. Justiniani
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:22 a.m.

I know that he is called of God and foreordain in that calling.

• Junior F.
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:21 a.m.

YES!! Way to go!!

• Jeff
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:12 a.m.

President Eyring is a very special man who has made a major difference in my life.

• Joe Wren
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:06 a.m.

Wonderful men... very welcome choices. The Lord lives, and so does His Church ~ for the benefit of everyone in the world.

• chrisstockwell
    Oct. 6, 2007 11:06 a.m.

woo hoo! The Quorum is complete again!

• Brian H.
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:59 a.m.

I am grateful to the Lord for his perfect plan of leadership in his Church. President Eyring is a man of capacity, integrity and faith. I sustain him, and Elder Cook. Does it not give great comfort to see the consistent way the Lord allows for the continuation of his work in this Church? I welcome everyone to hold it up to the light, and see if it illuminates your life in a new way.

• Rick
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:59 a.m.

Wow, that was a quick report--this was just barely announced. Thanks DesNews!

• Skyler J. Collins, Sr.
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:49 a.m.

A great choice!

• pohaku-1
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:46 a.m.

• Tom
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:29 a.m.

My family and I were there at the Conference Center July 20 and saw President Faust in person. What an experience that was for us, having attended the conference center for the first time in our lives (we are from Alaska and England).

President Eyring ... it just sounds right, doesn't it?

• Joe
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:22 a.m.

We're happy to see Elder Eyring.

• Idaho
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:18 a.m.

Very cool, he was a former pres of BYU-Idaho.

• Chelsey S.
    Oct. 6, 2007 10:18 a.m.

Thank you so much for posting this fast! I am at work and am listening to conference via internet, but because of work I missed the announcement!