Sports

Andrei wants out of Utah

Comments

• KLH
    Sept. 23, 2007 1:58 a.m.

Was'nt it a month ago that he spouted the wonderful nature of Utah and how much he liked it here?

• Bob
    Sept. 22, 2007 9:48 p.m.

I heard that Putin needed him to help with the newly resumed long range strategic bombing missions. Can anyone else confirm this?

• BREECH OF CONTRACT
    Sept. 22, 2007 10:48 a.m.

Wow I wish I could get out of my mortgage contract because I am dissatisfied with my payment. I wish that is the way things worked.

Would all you people jump on my bandwagon and point your finger at the loan officer and say it was his fault for making me sign this mortgage I have. Then I could get out of it. We could make him look like the bad guy and I can get out smelling like a rose.

This isn't how the "REAL WORLD" works AK. Sometimes you have to face the consequences and criticism and do what your contract says and play ball for the Utah Jazz unless they trade you.

Sounds like AK has gained a bigger head than he has brains.

Sorry to say it AK but you are stuck playing in the States for 4 more years, so keep your mouth shut and collect your pay check.

• pj
    Sept. 21, 2007 10:23 a.m.

who will coach if sloan is gone? i mean seriously name another good coach who is going to come here?

• Go Jazz
    Sept. 21, 2007 12:41 a.m.

I don't understand blaming Slaon for not winning any championships. Haven't we recently heard how refs. have determined the out comes of several games(?)including the Russell/Jordan call on Jordan's famous series winner over the Jazz? Is that Sloan's fault also? I guess we have to blame someone or something to justify AK's unhappiness.

Sept. 20, 2007 5:33 p.m.

RadChad? Is that a real name? Do you think you're pretty "rad" or what?

#1 Utah is not a complete joke
    #2 Sloan is way under rated
    #3 You sound like an annoying Lakers fan

• Hmmm
    Sept. 20, 2007 12:53 p.m.

RadChad, did you watch the Jazz last year? Do you call the conference finals a joke?

I think that RadChad has never watched the Jazz, but he read all of these comments, which makes him an expert on the Jazz.

• Smurph
    Sept. 20, 2007 12:10 p.m.

Nothing exciting will happen in the offseason. Same Jazz will be back. Hopefully better.

• Jimbo
    Sept. 20, 2007 12:30 a.m.

Forget all the trade speculation. I'm sure that the Jazz brass will evaluate any trade possibilities seriously. In the meantime, AK should honor his contract, unless it has a "trade me on demand" clause, and come into camp in great shape and ready elevate his game to a new level. That way he will either help the team and they won't want to trade him or he will seem so valuable to others that they might trade someone like Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, or Tim Duncan for him and we can all live happily ever after.

• RadChad
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:49 p.m.

Sloan needs to go. period. that bafoon has done nothing but make the jazz a mediocre bunch of ball players. making utah a complete joke.

• Jazzman
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:26 p.m.

Yeah no one would want to pay that much for AK so a trade will not happen. So like it or not AK you are gonna be playing for Sloan until that massively over you worth contract is up.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:18 p.m.

Kobe asked out and it looks like he going no where. Just because AK wants out, it doesn't mean Jazz lost him. Although I don't mind creating some cap space for DWill and Millsap. I love AK but Jazz over paid him thus he may have to go. Some people are talking about A Jamison for AK or R Jefferson for AK or C Frye, La Frenz, and JJack for AK.

• Gus
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:17 p.m.

Please someone take him away from us I like AK I think he is an asset but a he is the most overpaid asset in the league.

• off liability vs def asset
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:31 p.m.

Every time AK47 touches the ball in the half court set I hold my breath... he is so unpredictable its scarry... yet his defensive intangibles are likely irreplacible... Even though he's a turnover waiting to happen on offense I think his intangible/def more than make up for it... the Jazz need him

• Jazzer
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:01 p.m.

AK47 & the Jazz are great. If AK47 can help the Jazz and he is happy, I hope he stays. If things are better for AK & the Jazz if they part ways, I wish both of them the best of luck.

• nick
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:44 p.m.

Dude I love AK. We will miss him -- most of the previous comments ignore the good things he's done for the Jazz during those few non-playoff years.

On another note -- DNews, what's with using an "online translation?" Can you not find a single person that speaks some Russian?

Sept. 19, 2007 9:43 p.m.

Marion for AK? Are you kidding me? Let's add another Power Forward to our roster...oh wait.... we already have one. Bring Marion and he will act worse than AK

Sept. 19, 2007 9:42 p.m.

Coach Sloan is probably the only coach left in the league that I respect. Lay Off!

• Re: Andrew
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:41 p.m.

I thought the same thing, until AK said he didn't want to play in Utah anymore. That doesn't bode well for AK having a great season for the Jazz this year.

• Andrew
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:28 p.m.

AK showed some good play at the end of the season and really was doing really well i hope he stays and all you people who are giving him crap are crazy!!!!! he had a bad year and he could have a good...i mean GREAT year with all this confidence coming into the year!

Sept. 19, 2007 9:11 p.m.

where is this news that Orlando wants AK coming from?

• Mike
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:50 p.m.

Yea, I remember when Sloan did use AK'a talents and mde him the focal point of the Jazz, but do you remember our record then, or a playoff run of any kind? I'd much rather have this team than that one and if AK doesn't understand that we are much better team this way, than the problem really is his ego, not Sloan.

• anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:42 p.m.

It is time to fire sloan and give Phil johnson and youngsters a fair chance. Sloan has been a good coach, but his time has passed. he hid behind stockton and malone and failed us twice to the finals.This guy does not call time out, is always negative and does not have an open mind. AK is a very entertaining to watch and can change any game in seconds. We need AK to get a championship. Such defenders do not come easily. Defense wins championships. This is Larry's chance to get rid of him--loyalty is not worth loosing fans and business. I hope slaon firing and some Larry crying will take care of the matter. Phil deserves a chance. he is a very good coach with better personality...Support Sloan firing drive and save AK from leaving Jazz. Larry needs to make his call by looking into the future more versus looking in the past

• anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:38 p.m.

It is time to fire sloan and give Phil johnson and youngsters a fair chance. Sloan has been a good coach, but his time has passed. he hid behind stockton and malone and failed us twice to the finals.This guy does not call time out, is always negative and does not have an open mind. AK is a very entertaining to watch and can change any game in seconds. We need AK to get a championship. Such defenders do not come easily. Defense wins championships. This is Larry's chance to get rid of him--loyalty is not worth loosing fans and business. I hope slaon firing and some Larry crying will take care of the matter. Phil deserves a chance. he is a very good coach with better personality...Support Sloan firing drive and save AK from leaving Jazz. Larry needs to make your call by looking into the future more versus looking in the past

• Huge Andrei Fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:38 p.m.

Dude, you have it made here. Big fish in the small pond of Utah...

You will regret this decision, my friend!!!

Mend the bridge and contribute this season. Don't listen to these people who tune into KJAZZ once a week. You are one of the reason I have kept my season tickets.

• NY_JazzFan
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:22 p.m.

AK47 has many outstanding physical tools. His issue is his big head and ego. Coach Sloan has given him all opportunities to excel and refine his shooting skills. When AK47 performs well he is great but when he fails, it's someone else fault. He tends to blame coach Sloan for his failures. Leadership comes from the coach but the players must perform as the coach cannot play offense or defense for the players. This is where AK47 fails. One tournament does not make a great player.

Sept. 19, 2007 8:16 p.m.

Come on people! Andrei has every reason to ask for a trade. Have you forgotten how good he was when Sloan did use him? He has dreams and goals and potential, but his dumb coach won't allow him to reach them. He has to be frustrated with how he has been abandoned ever since signing away his freedom. The problem is Sloan and all Sloan. Sure, he has two decades in Utah. Oh, and how many championships? Not to mention he's BORING, one thing that AK is not. Give him the ball!!!!!

Sept. 19, 2007 8:15 p.m.

Quote from AK after eurobasket:

We are not playing for the money. We are playing for the happiness, for the basketball. That is the main thing. Sometimes people have to understand that. Yes, we have huge contracts, but that is not why we are playing basketball.

• laker hater
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:11 p.m.

who cares who you get we need someone at the 3 who can score more than 8 points and who can move without the ball when boozer draws the double. millsap can fill the void but he is waaaaayyy slower he needs another year in the league and then he will be crazy good.

Sept. 19, 2007 7:37 p.m.

orlando magic wants ak47!

• what A Stupid morons
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:33 p.m.

Hey jazz fans with Sloan 20 years how many championship? huh? none that's matters. What a heck winning division conference all not counts. How badly outcoached in playoff. Jazz will start fell apart when AK leaves. Maybe he good or not enough. He is the guy who makes jazz game watchable. So long honest guy( In her don't express you feeling just read statement and every body happy but you didn't that you mistake)

• LAKERS FAN 4 LIFE
    Sept. 19, 2007 6:31 p.m.

TRADE AK47 FOR KWAME BROWN AND BRIAN COOK.THats a great trade go lakers jazz fans are gona suffer when the lakers beat the jazz 4-0 in the season series.

• cricker1
    Sept. 19, 2007 6:24 p.m.

Seriously, I can't believe there is anyone who even cares about the NBA at all. I used to be the biggest fan around but the league is a shadow of what it once was. A bunch of rich spoiled guys who think they should be able to run things. (It seems a large percentage of the players are also first rate thugs.) The coaches have no authority - notice the coaching turnover rate in the league. Sloan is the exception. Ownership is willing to back him up and give him some teeth to run the team, which is a good thing. Personally I think it would be a shame to see Sloan go. Just because he's old school doesn't mean he's wrong.

Anyway, like I said, I don't really care. High school ball is more fun and interesting anyway.

• AK loyal fan shifting to DWill
    Sept. 19, 2007 6:14 p.m.

AK is an exciting player to watch and his blocks are phenomenal! He needs to figure out how to play his new role of unbelievable energy producer and blocking machine. He is no longer the offensive star. If he can figure out that his role changed when Booze and DWill got it together last year (plus Memo pre-baby's birth) we could have a totally amazing and unstoppable team.

In Europe he's good enough to be the big star. In the NBA he's not enough alone. He proved that before last year's amazing run.

Sorry his feelings are hurt. Sure reminded me of Karl. Wah-wah-wah.

• See Ya
    Sept. 19, 2007 5:53 p.m.

AK you will learn what life in the NBA is like without the JAZZ. Just ask Shandon Anderson.

• Boris
    Sept. 19, 2007 5:25 p.m.

18 pts for Russia = 8 pts for the Jazz (and likely any other team in the NBA)

Stay in Russia you baby!!

• RE: Primetime
    Sept. 19, 2007 5:03 p.m.

Your point is well taken, except that AK is not paid the big bucks(or promoted as you put it for his offensive skills). He is paid to do the other things. It's AK that doesn't like what he's been "promoted" to, a defensive specialist. Sloan never told him to stop rebounding or cutting to the basket. Sloan never told AK to stand on the perimeter and never move, allowing his defenders to clog up the paint. Sloan's offense is dessigned to stop the paint from being clogged and get easy baskets. It's AK's mentality that stopped him from playing hard because he was no longer getting the plays ran for him on offense. AK just needs to realize that he got "promoted" for doing other things than getting the points. If he wanted to play within the JAzz's system, he actually would get more points and he'd be happier....So who's problem is it? I thik AK just got a big boost to his ego winning MVP in Euro and because of that he thinks he got his "promotion" because of his ability to score. AK could be successful, but he needs to learn and accept what his role is, defense.

• Deiter
    Sept. 19, 2007 4:48 p.m.

Let the ungratiful cry baby go he is not the only fish in town

• primetime
    Sept. 19, 2007 4:21 p.m.

I love reading the coments on this board and those being stated on the radio. They make me bang my head against the wall. We do not live in a fairltale world. The NBA just like every other job is a business.To say that AK is beign selfish
    is hipicritical and lacks any kind of perspective!

If at your job you were really good (All star material)Promoted and given a heafty salary. Then a few years later you were downgraded and not given the chance to show your full potenial. Would you not be pissed and want to move on and show your old boss's you still have it and that they are not utalizing you right.
    Or like many of you want AK to do "just be a team player" and be content being under utalized!

I know AK has his difincinces (shooting) but he need to go somewhere and he shoulg go somewhere where his talents will be better utalized and he can play more of na uptempo game where he can slash and fastbreak to the basket.
    Best of Luck AK.

• S.Matrix
    Sept. 19, 2007 4:14 p.m.

AK is a great guy but I couldn't trade places with him. So... sorry all you Jazz fans.. I am a Sun for life.

• whinner
    Sept. 19, 2007 4:10 p.m.

yeah he played well in europe, maybe he should stay there and maybe he'll play well all the time. but i doubt it!!!!!!!!!

• Vlad
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:52 p.m.

To those who is blessing AK's trade: have you blessed
    Raja's leaving before? AK earned every his penny honestly. When did you play your last bb game, compare the bulk of work he does on a floor with what his teammates do, look how he moves on offense end without a ball, and remember how many passes he got from DWill.
    But coach Sloan Will is #1 in this conflict, deeply appreciated Mr. Sloan just wants to use AK like a tractor wrench, completely ignoring Andrei's reasons...
    AK deserves the better life than just perspiration, I admit it but feel sad of this news.

• Delaney Rudd
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:49 p.m.

First of all let me just say Regis Philbin Jr. is an idiot. Here is the problem, AK is making way too much money for the amount of production he is putting up. If Phoenix is dumb enough to give up Marion for Andrei I would do it in a heart beat. That said, I recommend we send Andrei to Milwaukee in exchange for Yi. I know Yi finally said he would play in Milwaukee, but it would make more sense for him to play in a bigger market, like Salt Lake. It has one of the most diverse cultures in the nation. Andrei would like the siberianesque temperatures and you would be sending him to an eastern conference team. The Bucks could throw in Michael Redd just to make salaries line up. That way the Jazz would have the outside shooter they have been longing for as well.

• Stan Grace
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:39 p.m.

Teamwork thrives or dies from attitude. No amount of talent can overcome poor attitude. If the desire is to change make it swift and merciful.

• GET RID OF "COACH" SLOAN
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:36 p.m.

So many blindly loyal jazz fans who have no clue what's going on behind the scenes. Jerry Sloan needs to be let go. Contrary to what you all think, he is not doing any sort of coaching whatsoever. He is just a "legend" or face for the team. And the Jazz fans all buy it. Anybody notice that he takes "timeouts" during the games and says NOTHING to his players? Anybody notice that he does not give players enough playing time in the 2-guard and forward positions, and that is where a presence is missing? Anybody notice that his plays are NEVER written for the 2-guards and forward positions and then he complains that they don't do anything on the court? It would be IMPOSSIBLE to play under this guy. I don't think ego even enters the picture. There is a history of Sloan putting players in the "dog house" for no reason at all. He strips players of their confidence then publicly bashes them in his apathetic manner. He is toxic to the Jazz. He is the reason the Jazz lost in the playoffs last year. Open your eyes people.

• What RU Thinking?
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:33 p.m.

As I am typing this, I see in red letters below this box where it says comments cannot be "Misrepresentative". Why did you let someone post a comment claiming to be Jerry Sloan???

As for AK, he could be an allstar, and not be an option in the Jazz offense. He is a one of a kind athlete who can take over a game without being fed the ball. Wake up AK!

• RBHS
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:29 p.m.

I like the Chandler for Kirilenko trade. That gives us plenty of room to re-sign Williams which is the only thing that is of importance to the Jazz next year. Dump Kirilenko's salary for a shot blocker and giving more money to DWILL. Go Jazz.

• I disagree with RBK...
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:20 p.m.

I have seen many tapes of AK playing for the Jazz....

• MTN
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:19 p.m.

We saw how D-Will connected with Tyson Chandler this summer: How about AK for Tyson Chandler... of course, that makes the Center spot crowded with Memo. So shop Memo for a shooter. Memo was pretty inconsistent at the end of the year too.

The sad thing is that if AK said, "I'm going to get four blocks, ten boards and take out the garbage on the offensive glass for ten points a game" the Jazz would have a red carpet to the finals. But either no one has explained that to him in plain Russian, or he isn't willing to accept it. That sucks. Whatever the office does they need to do it quick. NO DISTRACTIONS PLEASE this year. THIS IS THE YEAR....

• porky
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:14 p.m.

NBA ego's are over-inflated just like their salaries.

• Go Joe
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:14 p.m.

Joe Smith???? 6.9 ppg Career average Yeehaw!

• RBK
    Sept. 19, 2007 3:11 p.m.

I don't want Andrei to leave! If Jerry could have gone 5 years ago I would have been estatic. I think his style of basket ball is boring and his continued crushing of the psyche of new players a waste of Jazz resources. I think the Jazz success has come inspite of coach Sloan and not because of him. Andrei is not a selfish player, many of his passes are incredible and he is a largly untaped resource in the current Jazz system.

• Sweet Trade
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:56 p.m.

I love the Joe Smith idea. Maybe we could lure him with a secret agreement that we will re-sign him for more money after his current contract runs out...

• Scooby Doo
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:51 p.m.

Much to do about Andrei!

At this point trading him ASAP is really the best option 4 all. Andrei really would fit in nicely with Phoenix. I would really like to get Bell or Barbosa and Diaw 4 him insead of Marion, but Marion's 2 year deal with his option 2 bail after 1 could work out better in the long run. It would be nice if we could unload Gira and Collins in whatever deal we do as well.

• Mikey
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:45 p.m.

Fine lets just get rid of Karl. Oh, I'm Sorry, I mean AK.

• Skeeter
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:35 p.m.

Sloan takes the Jazz to the Western Finals which no one thought possible and all you fans complain. He is not perfect. He is not the best coach for AK, but he IS a GREAT coach. I do not know the solution for AK's situation. I doubt a good trade can be made. If he can somehow be made to be happy on the JAZZ, we can win a championship. We cannot win one without him. He should never had gone public with these comments, though there is truth to his complaints,airing them in public just makes the situation worse. Keep Sloan -- try to make AK happy unless a really good trade can be made which is doubtful.

• AK47 - GOODBYE!
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:33 p.m.

AK is a good player yes but he is right, he is not a good fit for a good ol country boy coach who knows what the game is all about...TEAM!!! I grew up watching Sloan when he played at the University of Evansville. He was a team player then and he demands team players now. AK is NOT a team player. Get rid of him and the Jazz automatically get 5 more wins/year. Getting rid of him would not be a problem if the NBA would go back to they way they used to pay players....earn your money. Stop the guarantee of money contracts for players who have not proven themselves. I mean come on...how much is Oden getting paid to sit the bench the whole year in Portland? I want that job....getting paid millions to get a front row, courtside seat to 81 NBA games.

• Dane
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:09 p.m.

Good riddance.

• firedude
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:05 p.m.

ak needs to step up and show everybody that he can play.

• Bizzert
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:04 p.m.

Dang, AK used his annual exemption from his wife on the Jazz Fans. Adios punk

• Get it Straight
    Sept. 19, 2007 2:02 p.m.

I keep seeing that everyone is referring to Joe Smith. If you knew anything about basketball, there is no way the Jazz would trade for Joe Smith. However, if you want to get it right you are probably thinking of Josh Smith of the Hawks. Unless you are an idiot. Which most of you are with your Sloan comments.

• Oh boy
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:53 p.m.

Joe Smith? Are you people serious, Maybe if he was free. On second thought not even then, he'd be a waste of a roster space.

• forum master
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:53 p.m.

I just heard on the radio talks that O'Connor is talking with Portland and Russian teams. Sounds like it's possible the Jazz could get Oden and a second round pick for Kirilinko and Giracek. And if that doesn't work out the Jazz are just going to buy out his contract so he can play in Russia. Good luck where ever you end up Andre! We'll miss you

• Henry Drummond
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:51 p.m.

Ah fer cryin' out loud....

I get it Andre. You would rather finish last and be the star than win the whole thing and be a role player.

Put a rubber band around your head and snap out of it.

• Guy who knows
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:34 p.m.

Jazz are going to take names this year with or without Andrei. His funeral if he wants out. Dwill and Booze enjoy each other and love Sloan's system so we're set for quite a while. He can go have the huge success that Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley have had since leaving the Jazz.

I enjoyed watching him and he has a few skills, but like Malone, if you complain and want out, there goes our support!

And, oh yeah, Dominque, Phil Jackson, Joe Smith, Marion, and especially Donyell, all belong in the NO SKILLS dept.

• Good Point
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:25 p.m.

I agree with the comment about AK's teammates needing to step up and reach out to him. It's too bad that AK has alienated his entire team by the comments he has made, so it's going to take his teammates a hard gulp and the swallowing of some pride, but I think that if touchy-feely AK had a few teammates reach out and talk about how he can help himself out, that might mend some fences.

It's obvious that AK is not the most mature athlete out there, and maybe he needs to be babied a little bit - but not too much. Sloan isn't going to do that.

Clearly Sloan and AK are not a match made in heaven. But unless he tears up his paychecks, we're stuck with him. And AK is stuck with Sloan.

Sept. 19, 2007 1:06 p.m.

Hey, Phil-bong, he's talking about Phil Johnson, the current assistant coach who will be the coach once Jerry Sloan leaves (and whom many teams have expressed interest in having as a head coach). Jazzfan, I made the same point on an Espn commentary (if we traded Andrei to the Suns, we'd be handing them the championship). I also think that Sloan has done this to everyone at one point or another (D-Will roookie season, Boozer 1st 2 years here injured, Okur's OK 1st year and lack of defense). What I think is that the clubhouse team leaders need to step up and connect with Andrei, starting with D-will. I thought he was figuring out last year how to run the team as a floor general, now is the year when he can take leadership command like no one since Stockton and Malone. He can reach out, it would also really help if some of his teammates stepped up and defended him. I really think his teammates can help pull him out of the proverbial tree, but they need to step up (and now it just got alot harder).

Sept. 19, 2007 1:06 p.m.

Andrie is way overpaid as is and now he wants out? Geez, if I was a below average NBA player with a BIG contract I would keep my mouth shut and giggle all the way to the bank! Some guys are legends in their own minds.

• K-bomb
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:05 p.m.

Hey calgary,

I've been tough on you lately but one thing you said in your post hit home with me. It is word for word verbatum what my brother Deano told me

"Sloan said many times he is not psychologist, well, with his salary I would be taking some courses to learn how to deal with players"

Calgary your right. A great coach can bring the best out in his players. There is Blame to go around but using this as a definition Sloan is definitely not a great coach. He's the type of coach you want running your summer league or training camp, but he definitely doesn't get it done as a game coach.

I've been a huge critic of AK this year but I must say that I was hoping to see him come back this year and play well. AK is an amazing talent, but its not going to happen with Sloan, maybe it won't happen elsewhere either.

Calgary if I had to vote one person off the Island, I think after taking a hard look at Kirelenko, I would send Sloan back to his John Deere collection

• Calgary Jazz
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:05 p.m.

I am just amazed how so many Jazz fans are worshiping Sloan and do not see whats going on in reality. You really like dictatorship? It is not Army! It is a basketball team, where coach and players shopuld be one happy family to win it all. Sloan said many times he is not psychologist, well, with his salary I would be taking some courses to learn how to deal with players not only by punishing, keeping them on the bench and constantly complaining. Basketball is not about O and X only, but obviously Sloan doesn't care. Giricek should do the same. If more Jazz players would support AK, more likely Sloan would realize how unacceptable his methods are among players.

• hawaiijazzfan
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:01 p.m.

• Koob
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:47 p.m.

Have any of you folks actually ever SEEEEEN Joe Smith play??? Not that it would ever happen, but what some of you guys would give up for Smith is OFF-THE-WALL. I would not trade for Harpring for Joe Smith straight up, I especially would not trade multiple players or draft picks for him. I MIGHT trade a 2nd round pick for him straight up. But thats about it. Maybe Giricek for Smith.

• Sparks24
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:43 p.m.

I agree with Regis Philbin Jr if the Jazz front office can not work this out it will set this team back 5 years. There is not one decent shot blocker on this team if Andrei leaves. This team will be awful defensively. Who will play defense Booz or Okur ya right. You fans who are telling Andrei to get out of town just do not have any idea about the game of basketball. YOU ARE THE SAME FANS THAT 2 YEARS AGO WANTED THE JAZZ TO TRADE BOOZER!!!!!

• Everyone always happy?
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:23 p.m.

I think that almost every team has a player that whines that he isn't used the way he feels he should be. Is this the Coach's fault that they have an ego problem? No, it's just a part of the business.

All this Sloan-bashing is ridiculous. Every coach has a problem child. Show me a team where every single player, from 1 to 12, is happy with their role and doesn't want more playing time than they're getting. Good luck. Everyone has a sulker. Having a max-money sulker just grabs more headlines.

• Charles
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:15 p.m.

What a lame-o....... He should learn to shoot for crying out loud... how many years does it take to learn how to shoot? Let that nerd go... Who cares if he can block an occasion shot.

• Smith? A 7 footer?
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:11 p.m.

Cavs Fan: Good thing we're basing trading a once-was franchise player on a guy with bum knees, 9 years past his prime, and a wicked 7 foot shot. I know AK's trade value is low right now, but cmon, JOE SMITH?!

Good thing Cavs Fan doesn't run the Jazz. He just wants Boozer back.

• AK
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:06 p.m.

Idiot. Joe Smith? Carmelo? Trade with the Celtics.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:03 p.m.

I agree

• Jerry Sloan
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:03 p.m.

isn't the problem. Andrei can't accept his role and is being a baby about it. Sloan isn't here to be a shrink or a buddy to his players, he's here to coach. If a player isn't performing up to par (especially with a huge contract) then he is going to find someone who will. I think AKs head is getting too big and he if he feels like he can be of better service to another team, then maybe Utah should try and trade him.

• Bill
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:53 a.m.

final part: ak's blog full translation

. Its clear that Utah and I dont see my role and place on the team in the same way. I dont want my contract to be a burden to the team. We should go our own ways. It is the organizations choice. I only have one thing to ask. Let me go my own way. I dont want to punch a number and feel out my contract mechanically. Unfortunately, its been more than a week and I havent heard from anyone of the Jazzs management no positive or negative answer. The silence is just one more proof of their attitude toward me. Nonetheless, I truly hope that our relationship has ran its course and now its time for us to part.

• Bill
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:52 a.m.

Part second to last: Ak's blog, full translation

I want to play basketball, I want to receive joy from that, and not be some robot, or some wheel in Sloans system. For those reasons, I dont see my future with the Utah Jazz team.

Yes, I have a big, expensive contract. However, Im certain that I was never disingenuous or incorrect in my behavior to Jazz fans. Undoubtedly, Im grateful for their kindness and support. They have helped me from the first minute of my arrival in Salt Lake City. I hope they understand my my motives. I hadnt said this to anyone before, but a couple of weeks ago, I spoke with the general manager of Utah, Kevin O Connor. I told him that I dont see myself on the team and that Id like to leave.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:54 a.m.

Hey, AK this is Kobe. Come play with me and I promise to get you a minimum of 2 shots a game! I promise.

Love Kobe

• Bill
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:50 a.m.

Part 4: Ak's blog, full translation

I have given it a lot of thought, and I have come to the decision that I want to leave Utah. The Euro championship that just finished was a defining moment, and everything has fallen into place for me.

Coach Sloan is one of the reasons, but not the only one. In the six years Ive been in the NBA, I have most definitely gained colossal experience. Its absolutely understandable that the NBA is the strongest league in the world. Every game makes you a better player because it is a challenge a call to battle. Such experiences are refining. All of these words have been true as far as Im concerned except for the last two seasons. I now feel that Im not developing as a player. Im trying, its just not happening. Im not being allowed. I dont receive any support from the coach or the organization. Im convinced that Sloans methods have a negative effect. His primary motivating technique for players is using feelings of guilt. Our salaries, our mistakes in games, our actions off the courtthey all can be reasons for reproach.

• Bill
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:49 a.m.

Part 3: Ak's blog, full translation

. Hes very gifted at motivating the team and using a positive approach. Hes able to be a sufficiently tough coach without using psychological pressure. He gives everyone the opportunity to everyone to feel like they are important and that the team depends on each person personally. He inspires confidence. The team has 12 players, and each of them requires an individualized approach. Only in such a way, a player can demonstrate his one hundred percent best. A coach is not only an organizer but a psychologist as well. Thanks to Blatt, that after an unsuccessful season in the NBA he still believed in me and created the conditions in the team that allowed me to demonstrate my highest level of playing and to bring my maximum contribution. In other words, Ill always be ready to play for Russia, under Blatts leadership with great pleasure.
    Ive already got to return to the services of the team, but, if Im being honest about it, I dont get much joy from the thought. My past season was unsuccessful and I was seriously disappointed.

• BH
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:47 a.m.

Part 2: Full translation of AK's blog (piece by piece)

Of course, Sloan is a coaching legend. Hes got a lot of experience under his belt. Hes experienced a great deal of great games and on more than one occasion led Utah to the NBA finals. However, his style and system dont completely suit me. Im grateful to Sloan for giving me the chance to develop into an NBA player. Thanks to him, I became an all star in 2004. I think that he had a big part in the fact that I was able to sign a big contract.

Blatt, for his part, helped me to realize my dream of becoming a champion as a member of the Russian team. Its worth a lot. You cant understand the joy one receives from winning for ones country. It goes without saying that for that, Im grateful to Blatt. I respect and appreciate Blatt for his ability to organize the players in such a way that he takes advantage of the strongest qualities of everyone so that they give one hundred percent.

• Ty
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:49 a.m.

Whoops, my bad... you can sell the season tickets to me!

• PHIL J
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:48 a.m.

Phil Johnson has won coach of the year before so I would not knock it until you try it. Maybe a ZEN Master in hiding.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:44 a.m.

Part 1: Full Translation of AK's blog (piece by piece)

My mood after the Eurobasket championship is awesome! It was simply an amazing experience. I have said many times that I will always play for the Russian team with pleasure. The atmosphere in the team was simply wonderful and after winning the gold my feelings were further strengthened. I have always believed in our group and we have been working for this for a long time. The path was a long and thorny one, but we were still able to achieve this success.
    Blatt gets an A+ for the way he did his job. It was very nice to have worked with him. The coach and I literally spoke the same language. Mutual understanding, and respect, plus professionalism are always the key to success. It would seem that Blatt is the best coach of all the coaches Ive had a chance to work with in my professional career. Before him was my beloved child coach, Vasiliyev, who prepared me for playing the sport as an adult.

• Cavs Fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:45 a.m.

I am a transplant here in Utah from Ohio. Last year Joe Smith posted up Ilgauskis, faked a quick first step, stepped back and nailed a 7 footer over freaking Ilgauskas. You Jazz fans should be thrilled to get him for so little. He could do for you what Delray Brooks did for Providence. Don't listen to them Macon.

• ID Jazz
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:45 a.m.

Admittedly Al I agree with you that Sloan does not use players efficiently at times but it usually pertains to rookies and not starters. I do not think Sloan knows how to develop rookies. Guys who are established in there game seem to thrive in his system but trying to learn and grow (rookies)in his system seems to be hard for most who come here. Although I think he is trying more than he has because CJ started how many games at the start of last year and many rookies got a chance to rotate through but I think Brewer deserves a chance to play and has shown he can. Not sure why Sloan holds him back. He did the same thing to Bryon Russel and then Bryon started for many years so hopefully he knows what he is doing. But some get frustrated and leave such as MO Peterson.

• Let it go
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:42 a.m.

THE MARION TRADE ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. GIVE IT UP.

• A Phil by any other name
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:34 a.m.

A few posters have confused references here to Phil Johnson with Phil JACKSON . . . Please note that the Jazz's own PJ is NOT the Zen Master.

• Shawn Marion
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:32 a.m.

Utah? You go play in Utah!

• AL
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:20 a.m.

Jerry Sloan does not know how to use his players effectifly! Jazz needs a coaching change or for the best of AK and Jazz I'm all for the Matrix trade. Matrix to Jazz for AK and Geri!!!

• ID JAZZ(AMEN Quincy)
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:19 a.m.

Why do people on here not understand that(HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE) not only does he not want to be here if he is here (HE WANTS TO BE THE STAR) He will never be the star on this team. Get over it people Sloan is not the problem with AK. AK is the problem with AK. You cannot kiss and makeup with a guy who has the problem. AK knows that there are many stars on this team that being said he knows his will never shine the brightest and he wants out. Now again for those who always have to be told twice. (HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE BECAUSE HE IS NOT THE STAR). Well spoken Quincy!!!!!!

• GREAT NEWS
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:16 a.m.

What an over-priced crybaby! I'll be happy to see the back of him. Perhaps we can take his bloated pay and get someone worth watching. Bye bye, AK!!!

• The paperboy
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:11 a.m.

Kirilenko and a first rounder for Joe Smith? are you kidding me? that is ridiculous!but in reality that would be about the best possible offer we would get out of trading AK right now, and that is why we should not even think about trading him. he had a rough year, we all know that, but we all saw what he can do when he is on the top of his game, and i think we should be patient and see if he can find his role on a the team. I have loved watching AK in a jazz uni ever since his first day at the rocky mountain revue, and i think he is a huge part of this team, and us fans should get off his back. He works hard on the court... he DOES work to improve his jumper (he commited the entire off-season last year to working on his shot) and he is capable of hitting big shots when pressure is on (remember his game winning 3 pointer seven against the rockets in game seven?)if the fans and sloan will be patient and supportive he will be just fine, so get off his back

• Anonymous
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:08 a.m.

ANDREI IS A GREAT GUY ON AND OFF THE COURT, WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE HIM. HE HAS A BAD SEASON AND YOU HATE HIM. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WE NEED TO LEAVE THE ORGANIZATION ARE ALL YOU BAND_WAGON FANS. YOU ARE MORE INCONSISTENT AND MOODY THAN HE IS. YOU HAVE NO ROOM TO SPEAK. HE STILL HAS A LOT TO OFFER! GO UTAH JAZZ, GO ANDREI, AND GO TRUE FANS!!!! LET'S HAVE A GREAT YEAR!!!

• Go Jazz
    Sept. 19, 2007 11:03 a.m.

How about AK for Corey Maggette? I think that would be a great trade. Maggette likes Utah and is a very good scorer. You are never going to replace AK's defense but what can ya do, he doesn't want to accept his role on the team and win a championship, he wants to go somewhere and be a star.

• OJ
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:57 a.m.

Jazz coach,team, fans, AK. Ya all quit ye whinnie. You think you got troubles??? Well let me tell ya . . .

• Quincy Smith
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:53 a.m.

So AK wants a trade... trade him. Why do we continue to hold onto a guy that doesn't want to be here. We might say "oh, andrei, it'll all work out just come and play hard etc etc" but guess what? HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE. How many times has he said that now? Yes, he's a good player. Yes, if he would get some manhood and come and do the things he does well night in and night out the jazz could probably win a title in a year or two. But again, he doesn't want to be here. I understood trying to make it work the first few times, but now that he's crying again, just dump the loser. Sloan knows what he's doing. We were a few wins away from the finals last year. And the guys that will come and play (d-will, booz, memo) are the ones that matter. Find the best possible deal and pull the trigger. We don't need to have whiny babies on our team "I just want to excel elsewhere not be a robot" type crap. Shut up AK, trade him. Give him a bottle

• Bball fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:53 a.m.

This is a wake up call for Sloan and the Jazz! He's still got it. Find out a way to use him & we'll win!
    Andrei-STAY! Keep pushing them to work your talent into the offense!

• Wink Martindale
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:52 a.m.

Get Marion. He boards, he frickin' crashes those boards with reckless abandon. He's a small forward playing power forward in the Suns' system and he's still getting all of those boards. He can help out on the boards what Memo lacks in that department. We've already seen him play the 3rd banana role (behind Nash and Stoudamire) and know that he doesn't complain about it, he just gets the job done with a smile on his face. AK wants the world. Let him try and get it in Phoenix.

• Ordinary Dude
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:51 a.m.

I'm not the most knowledgeable fan or speller for all that. But AK is exciting! He has awesome talent. You can either sink or swim with him, so wear a nose plug. Then when he is awful and stinks up the place you will still enjoy whats left of the game. The superstars are consistent AK needs to be constantly reassured that he is the MAN even when he plays and acts like a little boy. The answer is KISS, keep it simple stupid! Kiss and make up or Kiss AK goodbye! Or maybe Andrei could just wear KISS makeup and sing duets with Masha after the game. That's worth a few mill isn't it?

• JAZZ WHO?
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:49 a.m.

The Problem Is Jerry Sloan. I have said that every season, Fire Jerry, get a coach that can coach younger players. So fire Jerry cause i want to see Larry H. Miller cry again!!

• ID Jazz
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:37 a.m.

Simply as I have said all along and now I get to gloat is that it was up to AK to be happy with his role and obviously he is not. With his new statements he really needs to go for two reasons. 1. His teammates are not going to be happy with him and despise him which will be disruptive for the team. 2. Jazz need to get rid of him while he has some value from this off season.
    One thing about it is he may go to another team and be the focal point(what he wants) but he will never win a championship where he is the focal point. To win a championship on another team his roll would not change compared to what he is asked to do now.
    If Marion was on the table still that would be a good trade. Jazz would not lose a step with him if anything they gain offensively and a small drop defensively but not much. Plus he can dribble and create on his own.

• Arnold Kopf aka AK
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:35 a.m.

I love Andrei too. But he is not right for Jazz he is too punk. Jerry likes consistency and Andrei is up and down like rollercoaster. Andrei, Mr 5X5. AK is not THE MAN but he is the BOY. I disagree with Jerry because he would not lose going with Andrei more but he would tear out all of his hair and start sucking on a binkie to relax and end up in an institution for old coaches driven crazy by demanding NBA babies crying about playing time and being #1 option in the offense.

• Jazz Fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:35 a.m.

I hope this is one of those "lost in translation" deals where he really said something else. I do believe we have the players we need. I think Jerry needs to use them better. Andrei has not become expandable. But if all this is true, Andrei just has to remember that the grass is always greener elsewhere and when you get there you realize just how much greener yours was.

• Rocky IV by AK-47 Look-a-Like
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:34 a.m.

I am a fan of AK-47 and Ivan Drago. If the Jazz want to understand this situation, they should watch Rocky IV. In the final fight, when Drago is winning then everybody is cool with it. When Rocky starts winning, then the fans turn against him and even his coaches. Drago's coach calls him an idiot and an embarrasment to which Drago picks him up by the throat and tosses him and says "I fight for me." This is happening in Utah and AK-47 has shown "see he's not a machine, he's a man." Had the Russian coaches stuck on Drago's side, his freakish strength and height would have been enough to eventually win. But after the coaches, fans, etc. turned on him he became a mere shadow of his former self. I say, let a week or so pass then bring in a KOC, Sloan, AK-47, and an interpreter then let everyone speak their mind. In the Jazz zystem, AK-47 looks like a broken Drago right now and we all know how that turns out. If the coaches, etc. are back on his side, then we will see the "I MUST BREAK YOU" AK-47 we all love. GO JAZZ

• J. Fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:27 a.m.

Dear Andrei,
    Don't let the door hit you in the backside. If you worked as hard on improving your jumpshot in the offseason as you do complaining about your role on the Jazz, you'd be a double-figure scorer. Go underproduce elsewhere. Your lack of production is your own fault. Quit blaming everyone but yourself. If you don't work hard, your success will be limited. That's on you, pal.
    Sincerely,
    Jazz Fan

• macon's crazy!
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:27 a.m.

Macon everyone is this forum is now dumber having read what you just said. I award you no points... and may God have mercy on your soul!

Joe Smith, Collins, AND a first round pick. That would be like trading ME for Kirilenko!! And Carmelo Anthony is in a different stratosphere. I just hope you're being sarcastic!

• VH
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:24 a.m.

It seems like everytime AK got the ball in critical situations last year he either threw it away, dribbled it away or missed the shot.
    If he isn't willing to come back and work through that he will do much more harm than good.
    Sloan just took what could have been a mediocre team to the semi-finals and people still complain!!
    He obviously is a tough task master but he gets the job done much better than most.

• Oregon Duck mascot
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:16 a.m.

I say we trade AK-47 with someone with some real fire power like the mascot for the Oregon Ducks!

• Downtown Dan
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:08 a.m.

Most NBA players have big egos as in Kobe,MJ,Isaiah,LaBron and in order to be effective players the ego needs constant nurishment. Sloan is not a ego feeding,nurturing players coach. He is an excellent fundamentals system coach, who is better at coaching adults than spoiled children. Sure Sloan is hard on players and expects them to act like grownups. Andrei is a fragile free spirited loveable man/child. AK needs the run and gun Phoenix/Golden State freestyle free-for-all. Sure we'll take Shawn Marion for AK straight up. Bye, bye we loved you before you turned on us. Don't let the door hit you on the way out causing a debilitating lower back injury limiting your playing time to 20 unhappy minutes a game.Bona fortuna

• Trade him for....
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:06 a.m.

...if you don't want him to go to a good team in the west, obviously he has some value. why would you trade him then?

• I love AK
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:04 a.m.

I love AK and he is the main reason we buy season tickets. If he really wants to leave we will probably sell our season tickets. I know he had a rough year last year but I don't think it was his fault. We will cheer for him no matter where he plays (even if it is the Lakers, UGH).

• Kevin Meacham
    Sept. 19, 2007 10:00 a.m.

Get Marion already! AK Wants out..Phoenix is looking to trade Marion? Duh Kevin O' Conner pull the trigger already! Why wouldnt we want a proven all star that averages double-double and put fans in the seats? What is wrong with everyone? Marion will be able to go back to his small forward spot..think of this. PG: Deron Williams SG: Ronnie Brewer/Jason Hart/Morris Almond SF: SHAWN MARION PF: Carlos Boozer C: Mehmet Okur. Thats championship caliber. Get it Done Jazz

• Get Outta Here
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:57 a.m.

First off - Regis Philbin Jr. is an idiot. Dominique? Gimme a break - what did he ever do besides win a dunk contest? Geez - some peoples kids.

AK - Get outta here. Good Riddance. You're not a clutch player and your blocks primarily come off the weak side blocks. And that's all you can do. Trade for The Matrix!! Enough complaining from AK-47.

• Carl Weathers
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:51 a.m.

Who is this Regis Philbin Jr? He is crazy. First of all Karl and John are way better. How can you say AK is the best we have had? Secondly, they need to get rid of him fast. I am a big fan of this Joe Smith trade. I would even throw in Harpring if I had to. Or maybe also Almond and Harpring and AK for Joe Smith. He was once the first pick in the draft. That would be special. I admonish O'Connor to atleast think about this. If not I should be the new GM.

• AK for coach
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:50 a.m.

Maybe AK should coach the team. He seems to have all the answers.

• Risks?!
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:47 a.m.

JF are you crazy? If it aint broke, don't fix it. The Jazz had a 50+ win season, no thanks to AK. He was probably responsible for 2 of those victories, and accountable for more losses. Know how many games the Jazz won when AK was the leading man? Try a dismal 26 games. Put that on a resume.

The Jazz have a good core of players now. It would be ridiculous to deconstruct everything just to satisfy a whiner's whim. They must've done something right if they got to the Western Conference Finals. You better believe that no one expected them to go that far.

Maybe Sloan should hand the clip board to you, since you know some secret about coaching that we don't.

• Trade him for . . .
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:42 a.m.

I say trade him to one of the lower echelon teams preferably in the Eastern Conference for their Top Pick in the 2008 draft and a decent role player. There's a lot of potential on this team, but the Western Conference is filled with great teams. Don't do anything that would make Dallas, San Antonio,Phoenix, or the Lakers better.

• Moiz
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:41 a.m.

The Jazz are better without him:

1. Unpredictable. If any of you are Bears fans, then you will notice a similarity between Grossman and Kirilenko. Anytime they do something, you have NO idea what's going to happen. This guy's not a rookie anymore, and his shooting and ball handling (!!) consistently gets worse.

2. If Millsap had AK's minutes, they would be perfectly fine. They would lose that craziness factor, where he can make things happen, but that's fine, that can be a 2-edged sword. Millsap might need 1 year, but after that he will be even better with the minutes.

3. Sloan's problem with young guys? Millsap, Williams, Boozer = young guys. They don't have a problem. If AK could shoot, rebound, steal, or even block CONSISTENTLY, then he would have NO problem in the system. He can't, so he gets benched.

Let him go, I say. But what I think will happen?:

NOTHING. They can't trade a max contract, so they're stuck. But to be honest, he's holding them back. And his max contract? He didn't deserve it, the team needed to do SOMETHING because he was all they had, NOT because he deserved it. Sorry AK.

• Marion for AK: Yeah, right.
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:35 a.m.

Phoenix wouldn't be stupid enough to trade for AK. Sure, the rumor mill put the two together. I bet the Suns just mistakedly drunk dialed the Jazz. Phoenix: "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I had dialed Boston. Sorry!"

LET GO OF THE MARION TRADE. It's not going to happen.

• Regis Philbin, Jr.
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:34 a.m.

To all you AK haters out there listen up. If the Jazz get rid of him they will be making the biggest mistake since maybe forever. The only thing I can think of that would even be comparable is trading away Dominique Wilkins for squat. I believe he is the best player the Jazz have EVER had. That's right, better than Stockton and Malone too. Think about it, he's freaking awesome! If they trade him, they might as well trade me too. Do you really think you could get equal return for him. A guy who excels in all facets of the game? I doubt it, unless his name is Kareem Abdul Jabbar, or Michael Jordan, or Larry Johnson. Man, I loved Grandmama. Anyway, I have a message for Sloan, get off of your high horse and just give him whatever he wants. Is it really that complicated? Honestly. I don't mean to sound preachy, and I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but I feel strongly about this matter. I want AK to retire with the Jazz, or maybe the Clippers, or even the Bucks. But no one else. Kirilinko is the only player who loves us all.

• Hey Buzz
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:31 a.m.

Buzz- In order for AK to be treated with dignity, he should be dignified. He needs to earn respect, not just throw tantrums and expect Jazz brass to lay down for him.

• RE: had enough
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:29 a.m.

Andrei doesn't have to sit at a desk all day and push papers b/c he is a 6/9" freak athlete. I hate it when fans say that, yeah its true, they are insanely overpaid, but thats what the market is willing to pay them, therefore, thats what they are worth b/c fans go to games and watch them on tv.

• Stephanie
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:27 a.m.

I am also tired of Jerry Sloan's coaching. Foul and free throw. Foul and free throw.

• JF
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:26 a.m.

AK is right. Sloan does not use him right. Sloan way of motivation is by putting someone down. It is the exact reason why we have so many player that do not want to come to the jazz. And for those who worry about D-Will resigning, believe me he ill not be around seeing how Sloan treated him in his rookie year and his dealing with D-Brown.

If the jazz want to win a championship get a new coach who is willing to take risks. They have the players. If not its going to be a repeat of Stockton and Malone error, win a lot but not the one that counts the most.

• Cry Babies R Us
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:25 a.m.

There is still the developmental league. Maybe he can work on his shooting there.

• CB
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:21 a.m.

I say it's time for NBA teams to sue its players for breach of contract. Why did he sign the contract if he didn't want to play here. AK's misrepresentations of his intentions is certainly legal grounds for voiding his contract. It is time the team owners took back their league. AK will be paid more than $14 million dollars this year, and he doesn't want to play for the Jazz. Oh, he still wants his $14 million a year, however! He should just stay in Russia where he can be the big shot! See if they will pay in $14 million.

• Vegas Ed
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:19 a.m.

Funny comments from "Jerry Sloan". Andrei should be moved. His trade value is higher now than it would be later. He's a good player, but not worth a max NBA salary. I hope he does well elsewhere.

• Reason
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:19 a.m.

It was obvious watching the playoffs that AK wasn't playing at the level required to win the championship. I find it funny that he blames Jerry Sloan for his troubles. AK needs to accept some responsibility for his lackluster play and stop whining about Coach Sloan. It's also painfully obvious that Andrei lacks maturity, and needs to "man up" and move on.

• RenDance
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:18 a.m.

Joe Smith would be a nice addition. Where was this coming from, you ask? Maybe Macon is the only other one paying attention. He told USA Today in July that he wants to suit up for Jerry Sloan and that he thinks he is the last piece of the puzzle. He could take on Duncan, Nowitzki, Delambert, or even Kwami Brown and stop them dead in their tracks.

As for Anthony I know those talks have been discussed but he is not a Sloan type player and wouldn't last. And his foot infection isn't getting any better.

One other possibility that hasn't been mentioned is the one where the Jazz sign Jalen Rose, package him and Andrei and ship them to Cleveland to get Donyell Marshall back. I'd do that too.

• Trade AK for marion
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:16 a.m.

I think that Jerry Sloan is one of the best coaches I have ever seen coach. His system makes since if the players are willing to play the system. What I think the problem is that AK isn't getting all of the attention like he used to get. Deron Williams has opened his eyes about him and knows not to pass to him because he can't shoot. He wants the ball so someone takes a chance on him and he trys to drive it in through the middle, what happens? He loses it. I say trade him to phoenix for Marion. And I think I could see a championship. Make the trade!

• Terry M. Haimes
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:16 a.m.

Keep Sloan and Andrei.

I thought Sloan spent all last year trying to catch up and got out coached in the playoffs. For the first time in the history of Jazz basketball they have 10 or more players that are good enough to start. Sloan has to get used to this and adjust to it (I think he will).

Last year Sloan had all sorts of questions and few answers going into the season. He accomodated Fisher and developed a winning team. Thank God Fisher is gone.

This year Sloan has to deal with player unhappiness, settle on starting lineup and rotation. The biggest problem that I see is Williams' and Boozer's desire/intention of recreating the Stockton/Malone era. This is not a two/three player team. If Williams is allowed to create such a team then the Jazz will continue to be winners but not Champions.

The two new point guards are an attempt to solve the problem, we'll see.

• Jazzfan
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:15 a.m.

Here is the deal. The Jazz cannot go deep into the playoff's without Andrei. He is our ONLY defensive player. Boozer and Okur are terrible. Combined, they only average a block a game. Sloan is not good at making any type of positive connection with his players. We have all heard how critical he is. Negative criticism does not work with all players.

And all those who think we can just move Andrei and someone will fill his shoes (i.e. Millsap) you are gravely mistaken. Andrei is the ultimate X-factor. Charles Barkley, (love him or hate him he knows basketball) who is really the only supporter of the Jazz on TNT or ESPN, said that there is one guy in the league he would love to build his team around, Andrei.

I predict if Andrei goes, Williams will go. It is hard to get players to play in Utah. If one person leaves, you can expect a domino effect.

I fear that if the Jazz trade him, we will regret it for a long time as Andrei tears it up with another team. Imagine him with the suns....scary!!

• WooHoo!
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:16 a.m.

Anyone that wants to keep AK on the Jazz team should review last year's playoff games! AK couldn't even catch the ball! For someone making $16 million a year, I think that should be a skill he's gotten down! I'll help him pack his bags too! Let's get a team player and not a cry baby!

• had enough
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:14 a.m.

they are all over paid cry babies let them find real jobs like the people buying the tickets

• Huh?
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:12 a.m.

Moderator: The post from "Jerry Sloan" at 8:52 a.m. violates your terms of use: it's misrepresentative. Yeah, it's meant to be a joke, Sloan's not sitting at home reading a board about his players, but it's still shouldn't have been posted.

My take: AK is a big boy, has a right to vent and complain and do what he wants (contracts notwithstanding) just like any of us, and has enough talent to land somewhere on his feet and keep himself and his family financially viable. Anyone expecting anything else is just that: expecting.

Get over the fact that it's sports and entertainment, not the end of the world.

• El Paso Jazz Fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:06 a.m.

Dmitry from Moscow, with all due respect. A few weeks of good playing in the European tournament does not put Andrei in the same category as Dirk. At his best, he never scored more than 17 in a season. That's not a go to guy by any means. If what you say were true, Andrei would be gone already and the Jazz would be celebrating there championship in 2008. Just think it of it: D Williams, Boozer, Okur, Nowitzki, and your dog. Who would beat them? It's a nice thought, but not going to happen. Kirilenko has to prove his worth in the regular season where he's being paid the big bucks. But for now, I don't care what he thinks. We'll keep him because he's much better than anyone we could get for him.

• Tenger
    Sept. 19, 2007 9:03 a.m.

MATRIX! MATRIX! MATRIX! MATRIX!

• Jerry Sloan
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:52 a.m.

You all think I am the problem? Open your eyes people! AK will never be the number one option on my team. Not as long as I have Deron and Boozer. He is a great defensive player. When I ran plays for him last year he missed 70% of his shots. If you want to see a losing season I'll show you how bad his offensive game really is. If not, I'll keep using Booz, D-Will, and Memo to lead this team. Not the crybaby you saw in Houston.
    Love,
    Coach

• Sparks 24
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:45 a.m.

The Jazz need AK they better find a way to work this out. Without AK there is not a decent defensive player on this team. This is a hugh moment in the Jazz development for this coming year and beyond.

• Jazzazz
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:40 a.m.

AK played mostly at the four position with the Russian National team, and coach David Blatt's system created plenty of open space for him to move as freely as he wanted nearer to the basket. He is most comfortable at the four, he is still not a good shooter (% 28.6 three's for the European Championship)but when motivated and happy he is a one of a kind type of player. He played some great defense (Both man to man, and team defense), however this Championship did not have the physical type of power forwards that he would face in the NBA. So a difficult situation. It seems he can't co-exist with Carlos Boozer, and it is also a fact that he would be an outstanding player (perhaps a NBA All-Star again) if on the proper team, such as Phoenix, Golden State, New Orleans etc.

• Commentors are idiots
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:34 a.m.

D-Will was a little upset about his rookie season. Last time I checked that season is over. He is not going anywhere. Ak-47 is not willing to do the little things for a team and he wants to be a star. He may have been able to carry Russia, but he won't ever carry an NBA team. Unload him and lets move on.

• rockets4rmday1
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:33 a.m.

Man that boy put T mac on lock and key in that game 7 playoff game last year.I would hate to see him on another western conference team.Send him to the eastern conf.....

• Opinionated
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:31 a.m.

Tough situation. He's really not tradeable because of his salary. Yet, to keep an unhappy palyer on your roster really messes with your ability to win because he's not going to give it his all.

Personally, I lost all respect for him the day his wife gave him permission to have sex with another lady of his choosing one time a year. Remember that article in the Des News? Sorry AK, frankly, I don't give a ...

• Koob
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:16 a.m.

Sloan is great and the ONLY reason I stuck with, not only the Jazz, but the ENTIRE NBA after Stockton retired. HE {Sloan} alone has held it together. No one can HONESTLY say they would rather have any other coach that would ACTUALLY come here. {Phil Jackson ain't walking throught that door!} So who {that WOULD come} would do better? Want Isaiah?? Terry Stotts?? There just aren't many winners out there.

Where did we get this thing about trading AK, Jarron, AND A "1st Round Pick" for .... Joe Smith????

• Man Up AK
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:16 a.m.

You know AK's value would go up to about everyone if he could put together a full season without getting hurt.
    If he has a beef with Sloan then he should get up in Jerry's grill and let er rip. Not be a wimp and talk about trades on an internet blog.
    He's another gifted tall guy who won't work hard enough to run with the big dogs.
    He needs to get tougher physically and mentally.

• CJ
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:15 a.m.

Keeping a whining, undisciplined player does not help a team. Yes, AK has talent, but he also has a baby attitude. He doesn't have a jump shot, and he often leaves his defensive assignment unchecked. The Jazz has other players that can fill the role AK has had for the last two years. He has become a role player because he doesn't have a jump shot. Trading AK would not be the end of the world.

• Singer Matt
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:09 a.m.

I don't know which games some of you were watching last year, but Andrei was not hitting hs outside shots. Teams were leaving him open daring him to shoot. If you were a coach, would you give the ball to a guy who has a field goal % of
    .561, or one who is shooting .471 (the only reason it's so high is because the shots he made were all within 2 feet of the basket a la Shaq). I love Kirilenko just as much as the next guy... If he can hit open shots like he did in the Euro tournament, then the Jazz can be very dangerous. Last season was the first complete season with all four of our big players playing together and I thinking Kirilenko is making the assumptions that no adjustments are going to be made and life is going to be exactly the same that it was last year. I say have patience Andrei and if life is still horrible in a couple of months then let's try to make all sides happy, but until then, work on your jump shot and quit whining. Your making $12,000,000 a year for goodness sakes!

• Good one
    Sept. 19, 2007 8:05 a.m.

Yeah, Denver is crazy enough to trade away a 25 PPG scorer in Carmello Anthony for a disgruntled defensive specialist.

No way is Utah is going to do a Joe Smith trade. As if Joe Smith would even report to the Jazz if traded here.

We are stuck with this joker unless he pulls a Derek Fisher and opts out. If he was an expiring contract, it'd be one thing. But this guy has an I.O.U. in the form of $63 million. That's a huge investment, and for a team not knowing what they're gonna get (consistent 5X5s or Sir Pouts-a-lot), no one will make that trade.

Sept. 19, 2007 8:04 a.m.

I thought AK liked Utah's frosty air...bummer. I do think this was innappropriate for AK to bring up in the media, if he really wants out, the best method of doing so is to let Jazz managment know and keep quiet about it. This is not good, AK was the only thing that resembled defense on this team, sure it was fun to make fun of his awful shooting, but truth is we didn't really need his scoring, we needed his D. I do think Sloan should have tried to pander to AK just a little, if he had done so I don't think we would be here. Not good for Jazz basketball.

• Doug
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:57 a.m.

Monkey-wrench Sloan wins again--Jazz lose.

• jc
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:56 a.m.

Andre has had his sterling moments in the past, but his future, wherever he ends up, will be based on his ability to accept a coaches lead and adjust his attitude to his potential altitude of stardom. Growing up plays into this mix.

• Buzz
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:52 a.m.

Maybe If They Would Have Treated Him With A Little Dignaty , And Not So Much Bull He Mite Want To Stay .But As Always The JAZZ Is All Talk And NO Action.?

• macon
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:36 a.m.

This can now open the door to do one of two things that have been rumored about the past few months:

1) Trade AK47, Jaron Collins & next year's first rounder for Joe Smith

or 2) Trade AK47 straight up for Carmelo Anthony.

I say we get Joe Smith. he has a lot of years left in him.

• Matt
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:35 a.m.

Karl Malone said similar things....

Kirilenko is just being immature. Who knows what team he'll end up on? I hope he ends up on a lottery team where he's the high scorer but they lose everynight!

By the way, I really don't like the new format of deseretnews.com. The adds in the middle of the paragraph make it confusing

• rm
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:34 a.m.

man stop calling out sloan we would have 2 nba champs if it were not for mj. this is on ak he needs to grow up and learn his role or ship him out get shawn m he is a better athlete anyways

• Matt
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:23 a.m.

Sloan is a great coach. Andre is a great player. The problem is that in the Jazz offense no one other than Harpring is very good without the ball. Memo, Dwill, Booz, and AK all need the ball to be effective on offense. Dwill handles and penetrates better than andre, Booz bruises better, and Memo shoots better. Andre does all of these well but there's no need for him to do these things on the Jazz. It's understandable that he feels underutilized as the Jazz are trying to turn him into a jump shoot which he is not.

Sloan is doing a good job. Is he supposed to not go to his number one options just to keep AK happy? With that said, I think Andres anger is somewhat justified. I would be upset if I never got the ball despite being pretty good once I got it, even if it made sense for the team. Everyone wants to have an impact.

Maybe we'll be able to get a solid starting shooting guard and then Harpring can slide over to play the 3. I'll miss AK but I think he's right- he just doesn't fit with our team anymore.

• Fhqwhgads
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:12 a.m.

AK leaving will be good for both him and the Jazz.

AK is to the limit!

• Mark
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:12 a.m.

I take the story at face value and I am not surprised. Andre is the one who doesn't understand. This is a business and he is paid to do a job. What does it matter if he is the leading scorer or sits on the bench. He should be thankful he has what he has and is on a team that cares about winning.....the problem is he is more interested in whining...

Buck up buddy and work your but off. Then maybe another team will want you. Better yet, don't show up for camp and you won't have to play....and you won't get paid.

• Sloan Stays
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:07 a.m.

Now is the age of "revolving door" coaches. Why would we want Sloan to leave? I can't understand 'K-bomb's' frustration. What has Sloan done for this franchise? More than people want to give him credit for. Whenever something bad happens, whose fault is it...The coach! Whenever something good happens; who get's the credit?...The players! Give Coach Sloan a break.

AK wants to be the center of a team. That's great; when he leaves, he will realize that he is not a "franchise" player on any team. Or, if he does become the main focal point on a team, they will never get far in the playoffs. AK is a defensive player!!! His points should come off put-backs and layups. Regardless of the team, AK's focus is wrong. The reason he can get a 5 X 5 is that he does alot of things "good"...but to get the infamous 5 X 5, you don't need 20 points a game and to play point guard.

Honestly, Andrei's unhappiness is not related to the Jazz; it is related to that big contract he signed. That is when he decided he loved money more than basketball.

• Jazz Fan
    Sept. 19, 2007 7:05 a.m.

AK is a huge reason for the success the Jazz have had. D-will wouln't throw him the ball last year, and I believe the Jazz would be foolish to let this talented of a player go. I like Sloan, but if he can't change/adapt to a younger generation the jazz should consider finding another head coach.

• nottyou
    Sept. 19, 2007 6:57 a.m.

Cya, hate to bya.

Sept. 19, 2007 6:42 a.m.

Oh great, now not even the white guys want to play here! Move the team to Vegas!

Sept. 19, 2007 6:39 a.m.

AK is just moody. IF the story is true he'll probably change his mind a few more times before the season starts.

It's hard to be a fan of the NBA these days anyway. Not enough space to list all of the reasons.

Guaranteed contracts are the primary reason that the NBA is in decline and will never return to the glory days.

• endow
    Sept. 19, 2007 6:06 a.m.

It all falls on the shoulders of one man, Gerry Sloan. This team is very talented and with the right head coach, could win a title. Time to stop losing players, time to build a team.

• JERRY
    Sept. 19, 2007 5:58 a.m.

IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGING OF THE GUARD

• lost in DC
    Sept. 19, 2007 5:16 a.m.

Trade him for another overpaid max player at the end of his contract so that at least next year we have cap space for Williams' extension

• the rawns
    Sept. 19, 2007 5:13 a.m.

U guys are crazy. You were prob singing Sloan praises after the 2003-04 season. Remember that season? yeah best coachign job I have ever seen. How many losing records has he had in Utah? Oh yeah just 1 losing record in Utah. He came in 2nd last year in coach of the year voting. And get y'alls facts right. First Dwill cannot sign an extention till next year. SO dont think that this is Sloan its a freaking rule he cant sign an extentionl. Next how can he opt out after this season when next year is a team option? Kind of hard to opt out of a contract when its a team option (unless im missing something in the rules).

• Tiny
    Sept. 19, 2007 4:25 a.m.

I think K-bomb has a point. How is LA closer to NYC then Utah is?? I think Phil needs a crack at coaching this team. Sloan should take a season off a re-think his tactics and coaching methods. Obviously they're not helping the Utah Jazz. AK has been one of my fav players since Stockton left.

Sept. 19, 2007 2:08 a.m.

AK is a good player. But HE IS NOT a franchise player. He is now only the 4th or 5th most consistent player on the JAZZ team. I've seen many JAZZ games and I've seen how shaky his shooting was last season. And yet, when he plays with passion, within the team's system, he was good, and sometimes, spectacular. As for the Jazz's offensive options, it's definitely Boozer, Williams and Okur ahead of AK. I hope AK would take his conceived "mishandling" by Jerry Sloan as a motivation to play better. Maybe later in the season his trade value would be higher. If a trade happens then, I'm sure it would be beneficial to both AK and the JAZZ.

• SAD
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:33 a.m.

AK 47 will make the Jazz look really stupid if he ends up with a team like Phoenix. He is by far the most athletic player on the team, and he will be greatly missed. Boozer complained when people questioned his heart, Williams complained when he didn't get playing time as a rookie--and we all seem to have forgotten about their "attitude problems." AK complains about not getting touches, and we instantly label him a "crybaby." This looks like a case of reverse discrimination (and no, I'm not white). If this team implodes, at least we'll be able to watch Kirilenko rise to all-star status again--only with another team. Good luck AK--you were quiet long enough. You were really your best with Stockton and Malone--now that they are gone, there is no need to hang around with the selfish remnants.

• D-will's rookie year?
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:24 a.m.

We're past Williams's rookie year. He's past his rookie year. This is a non-issue. Let's not overreact here and cry out "the sky is falling" just because AK is crying again.

AK has a lot of nerve to spout off about his displeasure. Sure, he has a right to say whatever he wants, but his comments have consequences (burning bridges, not mending fences). He won't have the nerve to sit out like AI did. Not even he is that greedy. And if he does sit out, who needs him? But I'd say he's just overconfident after playing well in Europe and he's being impulsively impish.

Prediction: AK plays next year because 1) the Jazz aren't gutsy enough to make a move and trade him (even if they could) and 2) AK isn't gutsy enough to sit out. Not exactly a prophecy.

• Phil-bong
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:17 a.m.

Yeah, let's bring in the zen master, for sure. This guy can only win with 4 superstars on his team. He's done a phenom job the last two years with Ko-ball-hoge.

The players today want to be on Sportscenter, rather than work. How long have we waited through all of the booze's "injuries". Players have to want to work hard.

• Who would take him?
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:16 a.m.

Demand a trade all you want, AK. There isn't a team on this planet that would take on your salary. The Jazz aren't going to part ways with you if they're not getting anything in return.

Sure, you played great in Europe. Now you think you have the right to make demands? You really are an overgrown, spoiled child.

Utah isn't big enough to hold your ego. Good riddance.

• Dmitry from moscow
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:12 a.m.

Now the silence of Jazz office and Trib regarding AK's MVP and Euro Champ makes sense.

Unfortunatelly it is best time for him to demand trade. He was highly discounted after 07 Jazz season. But Eurochamp MVP title actually brings him in line with Dirk (MVP Euro 05 and MVP NBA 07) or Tony Parker (NBA finals MVP 07). And no need to explain what that means to Jazz: they can trade him in one week to any team that runs uptempo and smart basketball regardless of $63 mn. contract, but it kills Jazz championship ambitions for next 3 years. Unless you get Kobe in return. But I doubt Kobe to play with Sloan and vise versa.

Yet I keep my fingers crossed and hope Jazz office and AK resolves this situation and keeps him. All you need to do is to change the game plan.

• Brad Peterson
    Sept. 19, 2007 1:00 a.m.

Kirilenko is an emotional softie. A very, very nice guy, but still a softie. He needs to grow up and be a man.

How many NBA coaches out there fit Kirilenko's nit-picky emotionally soft system? Not many...and those that do win just 20-30 games a season. If Kirilenko wants, we can ship him off to one of those teams, he'll be the star player, and the team will continue to win 30 games a season. Or if he wants to be on a team that competes, he needs to understand coaches will be tough, fellow players will have strong personalities, and he can't be the #1 go to guy every time.

Kirilenko, simply needs to grow up and be a man. He decides *now* that he doesn't want to stay with the Jazz? After a full trading summer? What a childish act. If Kirilenko doesn't change soon, he'll be crying the rest of his career.

• JP
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:55 a.m.

With the play of Paul Milsap, AK has become expendable. We have to make room for D-Wills contract and resigning Paul Milsap next year.

I've got friends in Phoenix who say the Suns want AK for Matrix, I'd take that deal in a heart beat. Marion is a three point threat, plays decent defense and knows how to pass the ball. He would make a better role player to Booze and D-Will than AK is willing. PULL THE TRIGGER KEVIN !!!

• Jean-Claude
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:45 a.m.

K-bomb, I agree with you. I don't believe that Sloan coaching D-Will and Booz will get us any closer to the championship than the Stockton to Malone days. Back then, we needed an X-Factor, Shot blocker, type and we didn't have that. Kirilenko can be that player, and in the European Championship he was the star and his team won it all. We have the players we need already. A winner coach who isn't afraid of San Antonio is the key and trading AK-47 should not be an option. Jazz fans have experienced enough heartache and I don't want more of the status quo. I want a championship!!!

• rvalens2
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:43 a.m.

I just wonder if Andrei would be willing to renogotiate his contract, take less and then let the Jazz trade him?

It would make it a lot easier to make a deal work. Of course it would be a great test to see how badly he wants to leave.

Too bad he can't work out his problems with Sloan. The Jazz have the core players to become a great team, if they can keep them together.

• K-bomb
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:27 a.m.

Can we let Phil Johnson have a shot at "coaching" this team. Bring AK back, address the issues, get a new coach and win a title.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole team blows up under sloans direction starting with AK, next is D Will opting out (he's clearly pissed about his rookie year) and Memo and Booz won't be far behind.

As For fisher wanting to be closer to NYC, he moved farther west. Does this answer your question FYI hi daughter is still being treated in NY not LA

• Jean-Claude
    Sept. 19, 2007 12:13 a.m.

I doubt this is a real story. Probably another mixup lost in translation. If not, then Andrei may be better off elsewhere, but the Jazz won't be better off without him.

• Patience
    Sept. 18, 2007 11:59 p.m.

Look, everyone knows that AK and Sloan never got along. However nothing is going to be done going into training camp. AK should know this and if a trade is what he wanted, that should have been brought up prior to the draft to get something done in the summer. Now, after a good tournament, all we can hope for is he plays really hard and we can unload the crybaby in febuary. I doubt anything of substance is getting done in the meantime. It sucks that he makes so much. I'm willing to wait a year if portland wants to part ways with Oden. Wishful thinking, but that would be awesome!

• mixed blessing?
    Sept. 18, 2007 11:52 p.m.

The good news is that Andrei did increase his trade value at EuroBasket. The bad news is that his value has become much less relevant now that he has definitely asked for a trade, because every other NBA team now knows that we have to unload him, and will low-ball their offers accordingly. Couple that with his massive contract, and we'll be lucky to get 30 cents on the dollar for him.

But at least we won't have to keep wondering about his inconsistency. If we can get a decent small forward out of the deal, we might be all right. Can't replace his defensive presence easily, though.

• WONT MISS
    Sept. 18, 2007 11:52 p.m.

DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE ___ ON the WAY OUT! ! ! On second thought.

• Jazz Fan
    Sept. 18, 2007 11:51 p.m.

Really too bad for all..some may wonder now if Jerry's comments in the Houston series of an apparent philosophy that his job is just to coach (and impose a structure like a team curfew) and not to get inside his players heads (paraphrase) may have cost the Jazz yet another young player. At the level these players are at, many would argue that the most critical piece of coaching is getting well inside a players head and heart, regardless of who is at fault here, Jerry did not accomplish this with AK and he is paid to do so. With younger "new era" players Jerry has yet to demonstrate any ability connect with the heart and mind of his players to motivate them to higher levels. Remember, Deron has yet to sign an extension and made some interesting comments this summer about his rookie season negative experience here.

By the way, any one know if Derek Fisher really opted out to leave for medical reasons? Remember he also had some issues as well. Too bad for all.

• Mailing it in
    Sept. 18, 2007 11:37 p.m.

Apparently the systems not focused enough on him!!
    Typical of todays NBA players. That explains the lack of effort that could have helped his team in the playoffs. G O O D R I D D A N C E !!!!!!!!!

• Bye
    Sept. 18, 2007 11:35 p.m.

Good, I'll help pack his bags.