Sports

Grizz beat Bobcats in thriller

Junior QB provides heroics with late Logan TD strike

Comments

• pauni
    Oct. 23, 2007 12:22 p.m.

go logan.. what happened was that we came out and just beat sky view thats it..k...so thats over with now so yeah...adios!!!

• SV Keep your heads up
    Sept. 22, 2007 9:51 a.m.

Skyview you should be proud of your efforts against Bonneville. Good game!!
    Let's win Hillcrest next week!!!

• A little too confident
    Sept. 14, 2007 10:38 p.m.

SMASHED????What happened???

• SKY VIEW SMASHED ROY
    Sept. 14, 2007 3:41 p.m.

JUST AN EARLY PREDICTION ON TONIGHTS GAME.. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. BOTH QBS FROM SV ARE GREAT.

• dead, finally
    Sept. 9, 2007 3:51 p.m.

andher enjoy your win, you guys worked hard for it, now quit worring about what parents put on these blogs, we are reacting from emotion. congrats.

• NORTH PRIDE
    Sept. 8, 2007 8:49 p.m.

EAST PRIDE.I think your on the wrong blog. Last I checked the comments they were about S V Logan and an occasional mention of M C. But nothing about East. Get your own blog. Unless you want us to start throwing darts at you too!!!! If you want to leave your coaches names quarter backs name and a few weaknesses will get it started for you.

• EAST PRIDE
    Sept. 8, 2007 3:57 p.m.

East High Take State! The road is paved for this team now that they thrashed highland. Go get em Leopards! ONE LOVE

• To Bill
    Sept. 7, 2007 11:34 p.m.

It's funny how you are the only one in this whole conversation standing up for Rusty! And, Anhder's decision on playing Kyler. Yeah Kyler is a good Sophomore, but clearly everyone knows that Kado is a better athlete, decison maker, and leader. Not one other coach would ever choose starting a Sophomore over Kado, arguably one of the greatest athletes in the state. These seniors have played together for years and deserve to have all of the best athletes playing.

• who made this kado vs. kyler
    Sept. 7, 2007 4:16 p.m.

Who dragged Kado and Kyler in this anyway? How can you people even sit and compare these two quarterbacks? They don't deserve it. They are two completely different types of quarterbacks. And both are really good at what they do. Not to mention how many of you even really know them on the level to judge either one.Leave it the crap alone.

• Confused?
    Sept. 7, 2007 3:26 p.m.

To Bill and those left standing- Who gave you the idea that whoever wins the battle for QB or any other position will get it? That's not the way it works. The team was told that they could only play one way. That if they played both, they wouldn't play good enough. You might as well throw out the battle theory because it won't matter who wins! Pretty sad, huh?

• Another fan
    Sept. 7, 2007 2:48 p.m.

Who made this Kyler against Kado? They are both outstanding athletes! They both have great strengths, and some weaknesses, just like the rest of the players. So come on, let this die and get on with the game tonight!
    P.S. Bill- You can compare the two, when you have watched "the specific player" more than once. You have to admit you are ALOT biased because Kyler is all you've seen. But, your opinion is the same as everyone else's. Just yours! So Cats! Beat BE!!!

• to bill and those left standing
    Sept. 7, 2007 12:57 p.m.

you go bill, go. Kyler is going to be a great QB for SV, not taking anything away from Kado who is also a great athlete. How many snaps did Kado take last year anyway, zero I think, so it will take time for him to get into his playing ways of old. It' good to have Kyler battling for QB, knowing Kado's competivness he would never want someone to just give it to him, he would want to earn it. Give them both a couple of more games to see who comes out on top. Kyler is not playing becasue Rusty is a coach, Kyler is just inexperienced at the varsity level. If he was playing with the sophomores people would complain that he should be playing varsity. The praise never ends from some fans, but neither does the criticism, that is part of sports and being in the spot light. If you can't take the criticism along with the praise, then players have to quit sports and coaches have to quit coaching. Let people complain, that is how they vent their knowledge and lack of. If a coach or player just expects compliments then they are lying to themselves. As a dad and coach of a player, my son constantly got ridiculed that the only reason he was playing was becasue I was the coach, did that make it harder on him, yea, but he was one of the top players and he proved it . But I always told him, that if you want me to coach you, then you have to take whatever I dish out to you, so noone can say I was harder on them. For Rusty, I have never seen him take one bit of easiness on Kyler. Kyler, play on kid

• Bill
    Sept. 7, 2007 11:47 a.m.

Sitting on the sidelines listening to the ridiculous comments made by SV parents is very disheartening. I listen to you make claims of how the game would have been different if one specific player were in the game. It is easy to judge others decisions from a distance, you're safe there. I believe that you walk on very thin ice. You have no facts you just want to place blame. And how shallow you are. My son is a lineman and plays both ways because his talent was developed by a coach who beleived in him and had a love of the game and of his players, if he were not there my son would have quit long ago. Coach Carlsen is a fantastic coach with years of knowledge and experience. To say that his son is playing only because he is their is baseless. Kyler Carlsen is a very talented athlete and has worked extremely hard over the years to improve his talent. This game was a quality game between to very good football teams, both extremely well coached. My hats are off to the Logan kids and their coaches. they found a way to win. On a different night it might have been just the opposite. Coach Favero even knows that. To attack a coaching staff with these type of comments shows a lack of maturity. I would dare say that those doing the attacking have not been to a single practice to evaluate any of these athletes, and even then it would not dictate how they would perform in the heat of the battle. You need to go back to your armchairs and sit down and shut up!

• this post is finally dying
    Sept. 7, 2007 9:36 a.m.

finally, dying, I think we have finally killed this dead horse for the last time..... Everyone can start a new one saturday morning. Go MC, go SV, and go Grizz. Valley boys play strong. And yes, just for the good of the community and valley, LHS, MC, and SV should all play each other each year, just to give all of us fans something to talk about and attend. When Logan plays SV I go, when MC plays SV I go, now it would be great if LHS could go and play MC. Who cares about the past, lets move forward and restart all valley rivalries, and when the valley plays those outside of the valley, I root for the valley. If we can't play each other, then I say the HJ should stop putting the "Valley Team" together at the end of each season. When kids get up to USU and get to know each other all of these valley kids become friends and it just makes the friendships even sweeter when the can joke about the games that they played against one another.

• region is now
    Sept. 7, 2007 7:12 a.m.

now the pressure begins, but I still believe that SV has the talent to win baby win. Plus they rolled their opponent the bees many times before, this should not be close like last year was.

• MC Alum
    Sept. 7, 2007 2:13 a.m.

Some of the comments here are ridiculous. Three points: First of all, to those who want to rip on MC, don't forget how long the school has been around and how many State Championships they have. Both Sky View and Logan were around for decades before MC. MC doesn't have to prove anything to Sky View or Logan. Secondly, it took an MC alum to coach them to their most successful season ever. Last, it's embarassing and unfair to the coaches and kids to have parents bickering about who plays and who doesn't. One of the things that has made MC and Logan so successful is that the parents supported the team no matter who played. When I played for MC not every decision made by coaches was popular or even fair, but they were made with the interest of the school and team in mind.

• justafan
    Sept. 6, 2007 9:57 p.m.

itsjust1loss
    Yeah, those Mountain Crest coaches from the South must be doing something right. 3 State Championships!!!
    and Logan is even better with 5!!!!!

• Cat Fan
    Sept. 6, 2007 8:13 p.m.

True, the test is tommorrow. If they don't win, then the reason is apparent. Go Sky View!

• what are you talkign about
    Sept. 6, 2007 8:12 p.m.

What are you talking about des reader 2. What actions?

• des reader2
    Sept. 6, 2007 5:49 p.m.

A coaches actions speak louder than his words.

• just a mom 2
    Sept. 6, 2007 3:12 p.m.

just send Rusty down the road.

• You Have To Earn Your Spot
    Sept. 6, 2007 9:58 a.m.

I agree Anhder is a great guy, he has helped these boys through alot. but, like said before, these boys are talented and have worked so hard to be where they are today and this is the year that counts for all those seniors. He needs to let the boys that have earned their spots, play their spots weather its on offense, defense or both. Just like anything else, you have to work to get where you want to be. It's sad the season has to start out this way with so many disappointed people, just because of dumb coaching decisions. Let's just hope it doesn't stay this way. We'll see how the game goes tomorrow...

• des reader
    Sept. 6, 2007 8:33 a.m.

Boy this is nothing compared with what is going on at Hillcrest. Kudos to "justamom" and her son, if the rest of the team will do that you guys will be just fine. As a coach, i can tell you there are a lot of ways to win, teach kids values, teamework, and success. No coach does things the same way, we all learn from our experiences, I have learned several different systems, but the one factor over all else that seems to makes things work is when a team buys into what the coach is trying to do. The power of that makes the players, the coaches, and the program successful. Without that, all comes tumbling down. I was guilty of getting caught up in all of this, get behind Andher, and if you can't get behind him, get behind your kids, becuase they want to have the chance to win, and if there is no negativity from you, you will allow them to buy into what the coach is trying to do. For the kids sake remember that high school football is only for 4 yrs and very few kids get to play varsity for even two of those years. Let this time be special for your kids. I remain a backstage supporter

• it'sjust1loss!
    Sept. 6, 2007 4:36 a.m.

sky view fans, it is just one loss. parents, fans you all need to grow up and realize coaches are only human! it was a great game kudos to both teams! give ahnder a break! look at what he has done for sky view since he has been there! he has turned the program around! i have been very impressed with him in interviews, and watching some sv games! you parents and fans need to grow up and support your team! they don't need to see you act like 2 year olds! ahnder is a young coach and he is only going to get better! you should be thankful to have a coach like him! treat him right or you will lose him! just be glad you don't have any of the past sv coaches out at the south end of the valley! :) go logan and sky view this year! it was a heck of a game! be proud and stop pouting!

• justamom
    Sept. 5, 2007 11:01 p.m.

It is obvious how passionate we all are out here at SV but it is now time to listen to our kids and knock it off! I agree with everything that has been said and I was just as upset as the rest of you when I found out my son would only be playing on one side of the ball. I went on and on, my son said very little. Finally last night he said "mom it is what it is please stop and just support my team we cant win with all this negativity going on,please mom please" lets learn from our kids and lets show support to our kids and if they support their coach witch I feel they do then I guess we know what we need to be doing! GO CATS!!!!!!

• USU fan
    Sept. 5, 2007 10:15 p.m.

boy, we all sound like USU fans discussing/complaining about BG. Life is crazy, but sports fans are worse. Now can both SV and LHS beat one of Idaho's best teams. I hope they both win, and can USU beat Wyoming this weekend. All three groups will have to play some really good ball to make our dreams come true.

• Davis fan
    Sept. 5, 2007 8:11 p.m.

Last week Davis played Highland and to my knowledge SV and Logan play them. I hope you guys both beat them cause they need to be shut down. But all i have to say is good luck cause they are a brutal team. Scout out their QB cause he's amazing, he runs like a RB and throws a bullet. Watch out for their WR number 2, he is quick and blows by corners. Good luck, i hope you guys take them

• SV MOM2
    Sept. 5, 2007 4:07 p.m.

I agree. Everyone has their own approach to how a team should be coached. Parents and administrators chose this coach and EVERYONE needs to back him up. This is the best Varsity squad that SV has ever seen!! Let Coach Anhder do his job and take state!!!!
    GO BOBCATS

• Wondering?
    Sept. 5, 2007 3:11 p.m.

WOW- What is the whole story you are talking about?

• SV MOM
    Sept. 5, 2007 3:08 p.m.

I think it is time to stop the bickering! Everyone has a different opinion on every statememt made, and we all believe that we are right. The facts are: All these boys are friends. Including the QB's. And they All will do whatever they are asked to do to make the team better. This has gone on long enough.

• wow!
    Sept. 5, 2007 2:13 p.m.

I think it would be easier to coach a football team without parents! What do you expect from coach Anhder, it seems like he would have little time to devote to the team when he has so many whiney parents to deal with. Support him and I bet you and him will be happier. He has done a great job, no one can deny that. He is the best coach this team has seen for a very, very long time. He's had a lot to challenge him and I think he has handled things with dignity. He has a team that thinks he is great. Before you judge, maybe you should find out the whole story (and look in the mirror). The majority of the group is happy, why do a few people have to be so miserable! Go Bobcats!

• Supporter2
    Sept. 5, 2007 2:05 p.m.

I agree with the support idea, what if we all tried a different approach? What if we banded together to make it work. I still don't understand why it matters what position one plays on a team as long as it is for the best of the team. What if we set an example of how mature people behaved? If you don't like the way things are from the coaching standpoint, what if you volunteered to help? What if we really tried to learn the whole story and were open minded. Coach Anhder has done a FABULOUS job, and this seems to be so blown out of proportion. Let's teach our kids how to behave by behaving ourselves.

• Mustang
    Sept. 5, 2007 2:00 p.m.

Beau: I think it may be Logan that needs to "cowboy up"! If you check the enrollment numbers at the UHSAA web site, you will find that Logan has 1253 students in grades 10-12. Grand County High School has 231 in grades 10-12. It takes a lot of guts to schedule a game with a school that has 1000 fewer students. To make things clear, it was Logan High that petitioned the UHSAA twice to go to 3A. The first was denied, the second was granted. Last year when Pine View, Dixie, Snow Canyon and Tooele all moved up to 4A, Logan, for whatever reason, was given a choice whether they wanted to up to 4A or stay 3A. It was a unanimous decision among the coaches to stay 3A. That means Logan will be playing teams like North Sanpete, Emery, Delta, and Morgan; all of which have fewer than 525 students. TimpView has 1270 students, Bonneville has 1260. I have not heard either of those schools begging to go 3A so they can compete. MC will be happy to play Logan, but only when you "cowboy up" and play in 4A where you belong.

• John Flores
    Sept. 5, 2007 1:48 p.m.

Supporter, thanks for putting all of this back in perspective. I am not soured towards Andher, we just parted 2 yrs ago on mutual differences. I wish him and his team the best. I know they have the potential to do better than they have ever done before, but coaches and players have to come together, and they will. I would love to sit in Rice stadium and watch both teams compete for a state championship. And yes I will sit on the SV side, welcome or not, and root for Andher and his boys.

• supporter
    Sept. 5, 2007 12:25 p.m.

I can't believe what I am reading! Are these from grown adults? What do you really want your children to learn from life? Does it matter what position you play on a team or how many times your name is in the paper or is it about TEAM work and doing your part (even if you're not the QB!). Grow up and support your kids. As parents you are going to tear this team apart. And then, when they don't win, it will be the coaches fault again. Why don't you try to be positive and supportive and encourgage your kids to do the same. They listen to your crap at home and then are expected to be part of a TEAM when they get to the field. The losses this team may get may likely be a result of the adults in this group. Coach Anhder has put up with a lot of negativity since he was hired. I admire him handling the death of 2 players, drug problems and a sour freshman coaching staff. Now he has to deal with the likes of you. Give him a break, support him for trying to create a great program. This school hasn't seen this in decades. Why should he have to deal with all of you now. Why are you all so immature about this? A possitive, supportive attitude goes a long way. Try it.

• tanksmom
    Sept. 5, 2007 12:07 p.m.

I am an lhs fan and I had the chance to go to the memorable game friday. WOW! I think that Logan is going to be AWESOME this year. I was very impressed with their Defense and also with their O-LINE! They have a great QB too and he is just a JR! They are definitely going to be a force to reckon with. Take it all this year guys! And Sky View you go and take 4a! GREAT GREAT GAME! GO BOOF! :)

• SV'r to Realist2
    Sept. 5, 2007 7:11 a.m.

Duh, we all know it is about the relationships that you develop, and kids learn that after all of the sports are done. You don't help a coach build a program, when that is your defining statement to his players. If it was just about relationships, then why even keep score. Heck, do you expect that band should just perform and never compete, boy why do they get the recognition that they get, it sure isn't because they are building relationships. The art of competition and the desire to try and win is what builds the character of the team, not relationship building. If that is all we need, then just have the kids practice. And what does logan have to do with what you are saying, so they played grand, just like they played us, we are 4A and Logan is 3A, so now you sound like MC. Guess what we took the same risk that Logan took by playing down a class. Logan could have lost. Anyways, who cares about Logan, the issue is us, and why are we getting bent out of shape anyway, so what, we only lost one game, and it wasn't even in region. Lets play ball and give it our best and the relationships will take care of themselves. And don't make excuses for the administration, they basically bushwacked Andher when they said that.

• its all about respect
    Sept. 4, 2007 10:11 p.m.

I don't think anyone had a problem with Anhder until he broke the trust of his athletes by leading them to believe things and telling them things that aren't so. Maybe if he would have been up front and honest about the situation things would be a little different. It is easy for everyone on the outside, namely other teams, to think sv fans are being harsh. But ultimately what is wanted is what is best for the team, and not individuals. I think the point that is trying to be made is that certain individuals could help the team in certain areas more than others,you will never have a great team without consistency. Constant change is just not gonna work. Really the bottom line is that if coach anhder wants respect he needs to give it back also. He owes it to those athletes.

• comeon
    Sept. 4, 2007 8:27 p.m.

Realist2-You sound like a coach trying to defend your idiotic decisions-and I sense some jealousy?? I watched Coach Farmer and Flores coach football. They played every player that wanted to play. He (Farmer) played and brought more kids to love football than any coach I have ever seen! My son was handicapped. He not only helped him become a f-ball player-but my son because of Farmer was on the honor roll his 9th grade year! Not one person has ever made my son have confidence the way Coach Farmer did. This isn't about Farmer-it's about Ahnder-The SV head football coach!!!!

• Realist2
    Sept. 4, 2007 7:57 p.m.

The QB issue. Only a vedry small minded person would think, write or verbalize the fact that the Soph. QB is playing since his dad is coaching? Have any of you been to practice each and every day and compared the tow QB's? If not, try to be supportive. As far as the reference to the record of kids when they were young. Are you kidding me. Coach Farmer won with them. He did with 11-12 players. Anyone can win younger students games this way - but this does not develop the depth it takes to be winners when kids get to the varsity level. The dad who ripped on the SV admin for saying the relationships are what is most important must sitll get into his jock each Friday night and suck in his gut as he re-lives the football player he never was. Logan can play all the Grand County teams they want. If you know anything about scheduling, you would know that this is the year that Logan's scheducle would decline. Be supportive of your son, his coaches, the school and the program, and regardless of the results on the field your son will be a winner. I guess it is time to grow up.

• Realist
    Sept. 4, 2007 7:54 p.m.

After reading the comments from the SV fans I am embarassed that I am an alum. You must be real proud to teach your sons to bail on the coach after one loss.

• Cats Football
    Sept. 4, 2007 6:51 p.m.

Anhder did not build this program!! This group of players along with last years seniors have been by far the best 4 years all the way back to their Jr. Mite days. They were built by little league coaches and God given talent. The Seniors, Juniors and last years seniors were all undefeated in the 9th grade and they were coached by Clint Farmer and John Flores along with others. The Soph. group went to the mini-bowl 4 out of 5 years. So the talent was there for whoever coached. So to say HE is putting together a great program is a joke. He is living off of the work of many others.

• SV alum at the game
    Sept. 4, 2007 3:33 p.m.

Also a fan. Good response. It takes a whole team to win. Let's not slip back to the the days of the past when if only this boy or that could have been playing. I notice how so many comments are anti- Anhder. What a great program he is putting together for the team. The sooner the parents realize it, assuming the players are already learning through his very disciplined program, the greater the successes will be. Parents need to be cautious on how they fill the minds of the boys with 'would haves' and 'should haves' blaming the coach for this or that. All it does is feed dis-unity among the team and players.
    Yes, I am a SV alum and fan of SV sports. To 'another alum', yes my son plays the game, every down offensely...but for Logan. I've watch our sons grow up competing and some of my sons good friends are at SV. They have a respect for each other that we all could learn from. Hopefully we all can be as good a fans as our boys are atheletes. Favero is a great coach and, so is Anhder. In the famous words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that". GO SV and GO LHS

• Another Kado fan
    Sept. 4, 2007 3:23 p.m.

SV alum at the game- were you at this game?? Kado would have made a huge difference. Also, they did not try him in one other position on the O side of the ball all night. I kept waiting for him at running back or H-back. But nothing! Kado is not only a good player but can lead this team. He has these kids confidence and they want to play hard with him. Lets not forget Kyle Allen either. He was there for plays many times and Brady can find him for big yards. This game is about winning, and if you played the game you would feel the same. Now you can't win them all but should we have really lost this one. I don't want to take anything away from Logan but the SV kids did not loose this game

• also a Kado fan
    Sept. 4, 2007 1:59 p.m.

the kid will play his heart out for you and so will almost all of the other kids. someone had to lose, this time it was SV, last year it was logan, but in the end it is what you do at the end of the season. one kid never wins it or loses it all, we hope that when each kid or star get their chance they find a way to shine. It is unfair to the player and the rest of the team to put it all on one persons shoulders. It is a huge puzzle that has to come together at the right time to even win a championship. You could go back and look at the film and have 10 more reasons why SV should have won, then Logan could give 10 more reasons why they should have scored more, but that is all in the past, it is what these kids do next week, and the week after, and...... Last year was a great year, but we still lost the last game and never made it to Rice Eccles. The valley bragging rights were lost last friday, not the season, let's see what happens at the end of the season. support the program, like a parent said the other day "Andher is the greatest coach ever, SV has never been this good till he started coaching these kids." Either you believe or you don't, but no matter, this year has started and there is no turning back for this group of senior boys.

• Another Alum at the game
    Sept. 4, 2007 1:54 p.m.

SV alum at the game- Brady wouldn't have made much of a difference? They played him everywhere? For one play at a time! And, if you have watched these kids all along, as I have, as my son has played with him, you would know better. He has got to have time to get in a rythem. No one can go out one play at a time and accomplish much. Carlsen is good for a sophomore, but McKade is a stud. You are right, the game was played great by both teams. But Coach Favero out coached SV's coaches tremendously. And, maybe if your son was playing it would matter more to you, and you would want to fix the problem!

• Kado Fan
    Sept. 4, 2007 1:41 p.m.

Not making excuses, just gonna tell it how it is. I have watched Kado Brady from the time he played little league, and it is a proven fact the kid is an excellent athlete and the kid can win football games. It is unfair to say he couldn't have made a difference cause he wasn't really given the chance.

• SV'r
    Sept. 4, 2007 1:38 p.m.

"winning is not important, it is the relationships that you make with the other players....." a quote from a SV administrator. how do you play for a win with that mentality

• Play for the win
    Sept. 4, 2007 1:29 p.m.

I don't think it really is even a battle of who was the better team. They are both excellent teams. I think it really is a matter of playing to win. And if that means playing some players on both sides so be it. The whole argument really is why limit certain players when they can play excellent at several different positions. Football fan proved it happens and IT WORKS!! Some coaches can see that, others obviously cannot. Good job Favero!!!

• Observation
    Sept. 4, 2007 1:20 p.m.

Ahnder should sale insurance. He has no place coaching. We are letting our kids down by having them coached by one with the likes of Ahnder. Look to hire someone new for next year - face it SV will be nowhere near the title game. Our sons need to be prepared for the big games. In the last two years, we are 0-2 in the "big" games.

• SV alum at the game
    Sept. 4, 2007 12:50 p.m.

Why do we SV fans and bloggers always have to come up with excuses? LHS defense wasn't letting alot happen. Brady wouldn't have made much of a difference. They tried him everywhere. Carlsen is young but he kept his head in the game under great pressure. Coach's son or not, he did well for a soph. Key players were held to the minimum on both teams. I think that everyone needs to remember, that the guys that do play both ways are prepared to do so both physically and mentally. They're studs. Both teams were held below their expectations. LHS strong passing game was cut in half by a quick to adjust SV defense as well. When we continue to be-little or second guess a coach or player we are disrespectful of all of the preparation and sacrifice these young men have made. It's not always about the win. Congrats to BOTH great teams and players. Hopefully both can go all the way and represent the valley well.

• football fan
    Sept. 4, 2007 12:06 p.m.

Saying that only 1A and 2A teams play their QB's on both sides of the ball is just a very stupid comment. I watched last year as Sean Swenson led Highland to the championship game as the QB/DB and he was a stud. Many teams have their best players go both ways. Look at Liam McNally at Highland LB/RB, Riley Fosmark of Clearfield RB/LB and two of the states best players Parker Cracroft of East RB/S and Cody Raymond WR/DB from Jordan. I could go on all day but the bottom line is the best players need to be on the field and most teams have 3-4 players that are that much better than the others and if you want to win a championship that's how it's done. Thinking kids will be too tired by the 4th Qtr. is also a joke. I think East had plenty left in the tank by the end of the game both years they beat SV and they had 5,6 or 7 guys going both ways. You play to win!!

• to amazed
    Sept. 4, 2007 11:07 a.m.

still we lost, and we can't change anything. Logan won that night, all we can hope is that SV rebounds. If our pick is brady, then we need to stick with him and quit letting him play both ways. other than 1A or 2A who plays their QB on both sides of the ball, how do you expect a player to keep his head ready for offense, when he is thinking about defense half of the time. SV is on the cusp of being the next 5A school, it could happen next year or the year after, then what are we going to do, when we not only get to play clearfield, but we have to play alta and bingham. we have loads of talent, we have to use all of it.

• Amazed!
    Sept. 4, 2007 9:03 a.m.

Talented but... still hoping-- If, you try to compare Carlsen, and McKade you are crazy. No comparison! Carlsen should have to earn his place, not be handed it to him because of his father's pushing! Carlsen has one thing. Strong passes. McKade has the whole package. We would have never lost to Logan with McKade as the QB. Point made!!!!!

• talented, but... still hoping
    Sept. 4, 2007 8:42 a.m.

maybe instead of putting all of his fish in one basket, somebody in that coaching staff should have been developing the replacement qb for hill either at the JV level or at varsity during some of last years blowouts. that is the coaching blunder, no one thought to get someone ready for this year. now carlsen is going to be really good and kado can do an adequate job but is truly a much better defensive player, towards the end of the season both should be in great form as qbs, but by then it might be too late. still there is so much talent here at SV that there is no reason kids should have to play on both sides of the ball if the coaching staff develops that talent, but are they? that is the question that will be answered at the end of the season, and if they are not, we will experience the same end as we did last year, another year of feeling of "how could this happen with all of that talent that we have?"

• Recognizing Talent?
    Sept. 3, 2007 10:28 p.m.

The SV coaching staff has pulled another one on us SV fans. I have just learned that Ahnder and the rest of the SV coaching staff have informed their players that they will only play one side of the ball. Leaving talent from the likes of Hortin and Brady on only one side!?! I believe I witnessed Ahnder putting Brady in on the last series to try and get the W since his inexperienced Sophmore Carlsen had missed on numerous series to capitalize. Are they telling us that we don't have the level of talent at SV that some of these kids can play both ways. We see this at every other high school in the state, at the college level and even some pro's. But not here at SV. Is this the secret to the State Championship? This decision along with the play calling I saw against Logan has me worried for this season. This group of kids are the winningest group we have had in quite awhile. They deserve to be coached correctly. There is some irony in the plays we saw on Logans 1 yard line for 3rd and 4th down. Anhder chose to take the snap from shotgun rather than under center. That called doing it the hard way. And we all saw the results. We do have a sophmore QB whose Dad is coaching. I am sure that he wants him to be some kind of hero for SV and break some records along the way. He can only do that if he starts as a sophmore. Is he that level of talent? Should we remind Anhder and Carlsen that this game is not about the individual. Coach, play these senior boys, everyone else sees the talent, students to grandparents, lets get those wins

• SV Coaches?
    Sept. 3, 2007 4:46 p.m.

SV Alumni, you are totally right. The coaches pride are letting them lose. This group of Sky View boys have never lost to Logan until now. No disrespect to Logan. They played awesome. Kudos to the Logan coaches. You can see what coaching will do for a team! I agree that it is talent that is doing it for Sky View and if it wasn't for coaching, they would have taken state last year. It shows you how good Sky view really is. They have to beat their own coaches and the other team every time they play. Anhder's philosophical approach to coachinng is a joke. Coaches step back and realize that you are ruining the best thing that will ever come to you, if you haven't already! If Favero had this group, they would roll over every team they played. It is sad that the boys at Sky View are subjected to pathetic coaching year after year. SV alumni hit it on the head! Eveyone sees it but you Anhder! It it really everybody but you? I think that you know the answer!

• SV Alumni
    Sept. 3, 2007 8:54 a.m.

Reality Check- You hit the nail on the head! That was a great game! Both teams played great. But, you are right. The difference is coaching! SV coaches were handed all this talent and don't know how to coach it! Wrong time after time, they stick to their guns, and let their pride lose the game for their team! Kids should be proud. Coaches should hang their heads in shame. If, you can't win with what you have been handed, something is wrong with your coaching skills. Come on Anhder! The spectators can see it, the radio sees it, the TV sees it, the students see it! The biggest mistake you ever made was to hire a dad as a coach! Kids should have to earn their positions and the respect of the team!

• beau
    Sept. 2, 2007 9:11 p.m.

being a 1980 grad of Logan, this has to be the best head coach I've ever seen for Logan.
    Hat's off to a very good Sky View team, won't be surprised to see them win 4A this year.
    Poor MC, you can run but you can't hide the real reason you won't play Logan.
    You guys need to cowboy up out there.

• reality check
    Sept. 2, 2007 1:47 p.m.

I agree, my point is that they did not go down to 3A and become this dominant powerhouse. They have shown some success, but you don't see them competing at all levels as the team to beat. Also, this is about the kids competing. If you look at SV, you wonder why with all of the talent they have shown over the last four years, why are they not winning consistantly, becasue they need the coaching staff to help those kids get to where they are able to be. They are definitely going in the right direction and I would say that when SV plays MC they will crush them and it has nothing to do with who is 3A or 4A but kids, talent, and coaching.

• To Reality check
    Sept. 2, 2007 12:49 p.m.

also they have been runner up in soccer for the past two years

• To Reality Check
    Sept. 2, 2007 12:47 p.m.

Before you say logan does not show any success in any sports other than football you need to be careful, recently logan has been state champs in swiming and lacrosse, not to mention an always impressive girls swim team, and the wrestling team took 5th at state

• Kudos to Reality Check
    Sept. 2, 2007 9:51 a.m.

Good comment Reality Check. Both teams are good and I hope they both continue to see success. I wish people would get off of this 3A thing. Thomas makes a good point and school student body size is what determines classification, so it's not really in their hands anyway.

The Truth is... Logan beat a very good Sky View team (it doesn't really matter what classification because it's a valley rivalry). The week before that they beat one of the best teams in the state of Wyoming. Next up is Highland, Idaho which just beat Davis (the 4th ranked 5A team) this last week. Highland was also the State runner up in Idaho the last 2 years. After that they will play undefeated Judge who is ranked #3 in 3A currently. My point is that Coach Favero puts together great pre-season schedules year after year. It's good for the fans and good for the kids. Anyone that follows HS football even a little bit can't argue and put down a program that does what Logan does on a consistent basis.

P.S. The only thing that could build on the preseason schedule would be a game with the other valley rival - Mountain Crest - but they refuse to play Logan. Why???? Is there a BCS bid or something that I'm not aware of on the line? This is High School. Put the desire of the kids, the fans, and the boosters (kids parents) feelings first and play the game!!!

Now excuse me while I jump down from my soapbox.

• Thomas
    Sept. 1, 2007 11:43 p.m.

Here we go again! My hat is off to Sky View for continuing the rivalry. MC is a 0-3 team of whiners who have now no chance to claim who the best team in the valley is. Logan has shown they will play anybody, Skyline and Alta, anythime. There is a reason they have to go to California or bring in a team from Wyoming. Gillete is ranked #2 in 5A and will be #1 as last weeks #1 lost.

Maybe they should let schools be in different classifications for some of the sports. There is NO reason for Logan to be 4A when football was the only sport they were competitive in. Logan's other sports are much more comopetitive in 3A than they were in 4A.

• reality check
    Sept. 1, 2007 10:00 p.m.

quit disrespecting what the kids on both side of the ball fought for out there last night. These are 2 quality teams that this valley should be proud of. Also, Logan does not show a high level of sucess in any other sport except for football, so give credit where it is due, maybe it is a result of an exceptional coaching staff who put in a lot of work to prepare these kids and a group of kids that are doing all thay they can to over achieve. Those kids played their butts off out there, appreciate it, and quit whining. I hope both team make it to state and make this valley proud.

• onetimegriz
    Sept. 1, 2007 6:40 p.m.

hey now maybe logan can go enjoy beating up in all the 3a competition, they needto step up and play one of these days are they going to go to 2a, they seem to always be talked about but step up and play some real football! then it will show how tough the growl really is!

• Cats Football
    Sept. 1, 2007 3:34 p.m.

Anonymous, you hit the nail on the head!! They had better get if figured out before the season comes apart. And how in the world do you run the ball up the middle from the half yard line out of the shotgun no less???????? Get up under center and pound it home.

• Peacock
    Sept. 1, 2007 2:02 p.m.

Go Logan!!!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 1, 2007 1:40 p.m.

You were right, it was a great game between rivals! But, what was Sky View thinking? Not using McKade Brady at QB, and Kyle Allen, and John Hortin getting only a couple of touches on offense? Come on, what is going on up there?