Utah

It's 2008 — and 'the big one' slams Utah

Comments

• Nath
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:50 a.m.

The foolish man built his house upon the sand.

• Ariel
    July 18, 2009 7:56 p.m.

Anonymous,

You clearly don't understand Mormon history. Joseph Smith was dead long before the Momron's arrived in Utah. Point two, The Salt Lake temple is not built exaclty on the fault line ( I know, I live here. ) I do, however, live on the fault line more or less until I complete my schooling here.

The Salt Lake Temple was built at a geologicaly sound place, so the temple should be fine when the big one goes off, however, the only reason the temple could be destroyed is if the Mormons desicrated the temple in which case it would be destroyed regardless where it was built; but, a slong as the temple is not desicrated it should be fine.

We'll see.

• ....
    Feb. 4, 2009 8:41 p.m.

Yeah Uhm the earthquake has not happened yet you realize that right.
    So how can you say how much damage there was.
    That is quite impossible to say how many it killed when it did not happen.
    by the way I live in utah in SLC so yes I would know if it happened.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 22, 2008 1:41 a.m.

Mormons really are stupid. Build the temple and city right on a fault line. Yeah, God really told that Joseph Smith the right place to build! LOLOLOL. In the end, a cult gets exactly what it deserves.

• Mike
    July 24, 2008 12:54 a.m.

The Chinese were warned decades ago that they should build to stricter seismic codes by Soviet Geologist. Then came this year's earthquake there, killing thousands in schools.

The Soviets also cut corners on building codes, & underestimated the potential size of earthquakes in Armenia, an area with soft soil like along the Wasatch Fault. 25,000 died there.

Then, this year's quake in Wells, Nevada. How would Salt Lake hold up in just a 6.0 earthquake like this? Stone & brick buildings would get into serious damage at that point.

• Anonymous
    July 22, 2008 12:16 p.m.

I am soooo aware of earthquakes now it is kinda scary if u ask me...

• Kassidy
    April 26, 2008 11:57 p.m.

This freaks me out so bad! there is supposed to be something about the eathquake on the news tomorrow night at nine.Watch it

• Anonymous
    April 24, 2008 1:42 a.m.

this is really a wake up call...wow... people need to be ready for this...i dont know how it will be...but i hope god can help us endure this, we have to be prepared.

• Sarah
    March 31, 2008 12:42 p.m.

What happened to the follow-up articles? I can't find them in the archives.

• Todd
    March 16, 2008 2:24 p.m.

I think its happening right now!

Wait...that's just severe gas, but BOY what a rumble!

Still, this helps me be a bit more freaked out about just moving to SLC.

• kyle
    Feb. 24, 2008 9:54 p.m.

The point of this artical is to raise awarness not to predict the next earthquake. It might not be for thousands of years it might happen as I'm writing this.

• expectingthebigone
    Feb. 21, 2008 9:59 a.m.

people are saying it's supposed to happen today.
    and so far, i'm believing it.
    there have been small quakes felt all morning in my office downtown, and the big one in nevada happened yesterday.
    so much for february 2nd.
    and so much for having a leap year.

• SPARTAN 117
    Feb. 4, 2008 4:48 p.m.

the big earthquake does't hit feb 2 It hits FEB 8 2008.How do i know god told me.Tou can predict earthquakkes.(satelites)

• Sharleen
    Feb. 1, 2008 8:11 p.m.

Yes, It is very likely and the more people that are
    prepared the less worry one will have and make it
    easier on the response teams. We need more articals
    like this to keep us alert.

• Taylor Standage
    Feb. 1, 2008 5:05 p.m.

Does anyone really think there is going to be an earthquake??? I mean really...you can't predict earthquakes and even if they did...it's most likely not going to happen. Everyone should know that earthquakes cannot be predicted. It mostly is scaring the middle school students at my school. It's 5:00 p.m. and still nothing has happened, so let's all just get over it.

• Bree
    Feb. 1, 2008 3:15 p.m.

at first i thought this really was going to happen until i read the scenario part... oops.. very scary!! it really is a wake up call...

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2008 2:24 p.m.

okay its 2:00 and nothing has happened welll so much for making a fort

• HappyCaliforniaCow
    Feb. 1, 2008 8:19 a.m.

Uhh yeah, I have experienced one big earthquake in my life so far, and that was the 1989 Loma Prieta Quake in Cali. I was 7 years old. I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about keeping my son safe and most importantly not being prepared for such a disaster. Call me paranoid, but I'm going to go gather some supplies right NOW! So if the big one does hit today, at least I won't be wearing dirty underwear. ;o)

• MARIA
    Jan. 31, 2008 3:35 p.m.

God is so wonderful that uses geologists and experts to warn us. I lived in Salt Lake for 10 years and I loved it, wonderful place, wonderful people! I want to invite the Christian Community to join together and pray asking God for guidance, protection and wisdom! We all know that this is the begining of the end. Let's us keep our faith in God and trust Him.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 31, 2008 1:35 p.m.

i love earth i hope it doesn't end tomorrow!!!! Al

• sam
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:10 p.m.

doom and gloom is forcasting merely the possible seasoned with a little exageration. this is not an unlikely exageration. it's probable! if you're my neighbor please take atleast the minimal precautions/prepardness because if you're not able to care for your family because inability to reach them etc i'll be able to help them --- will you beable to give the same to mine?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 21, 2008 8:31 p.m.

it is really awake up call

• Hank
    Nov. 19, 2007 4:48 p.m.

More media gloom and doom...if it happens in February 2008, then I'm certain that global warming will save us.

• Hank
    Nov. 19, 2007 4:45 p.m.

More media doom and gloom.

• brand
    Oct. 28, 2007 10:40 p.m.

this scares the crap out of me hope god gives us the power to go through this

• Shay
    Oct. 24, 2007 9:43 a.m.

SCARY!!! Way scary! Let's all move out fast. Lol.

• MARTY SUTTON
    Oct. 18, 2007 3:03 p.m.

VERY ENLIGHTENING!
    WE HAVE TAKEN SOME STEPS TO PREPARE, BUT I REALIZE I NEED TO GET BUSY ON THE REST... THANKYOU

• Marianne Tioran
    Sept. 29, 2007 6:51 a.m.

Interesting story....also very likely. People there should really prepare and make plans for a huge quake. They need to do more than have a survival kit at home. They need to make evacuation plans and choose another site to head for. I am not sure if there are any warning signs, but if there is, people should take advantage of them and stay somewhere else. You might not be religious, but earthquakes in the end times are predicted to totally disrupt our earth's crust. So people need to prepare psychologically and spiritually. You guys have my prayers.

• K. Cooke
    Sept. 5, 2007 4:02 p.m.

Interesting story. I checked my water heater mid-read to make sure it was secured. Where do I check on specific information for my area? (Lehi/Saragoga Springs, north shore of Utah Lake, Loch Lomond neighborhood)