See 5 of the worst droughts in the United States
1950s drought »2 of 5 «
Residents of the Great Plains and the southwestern United States were hit with a drought that ran from 1950 to 1956. In Texas, LiveScience reports, rainfall decreased by 40 percent between 1949 and 1951. The drought caused Texas to kick off the modern era of water planning in the state. The Statesman reports that after the 1950s drought, Texas policymakers developed drought contingency plans, expanded water storage and sought new sources of groundwater, while state and federal departments of agriculture put in safeguard programs to help farmers deal with severe droughts.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena in...
- LDS missionaries save apartment complex from...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Elder Per G. Malm dies at age 67
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees; presents...
- Salt Lake man shoots 8-year-old boy, then...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 43
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 32
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 24
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23