See 5 of the worst droughts in the United States
1950s drought »2 of 5 «
Residents of the Great Plains and the southwestern United States were hit with a drought that ran from 1950 to 1956. In Texas, LiveScience reports, rainfall decreased by 40 percent between 1949 and 1951. The drought caused Texas to kick off the modern era of water planning in the state. The Statesman reports that after the 1950s drought, Texas policymakers developed drought contingency plans, expanded water storage and sought new sources of groundwater, while state and federal departments of agriculture put in safeguard programs to help farmers deal with severe droughts.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New MTC presidents
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 38
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 24
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 19
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 18
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 17
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby... 13