See 5 of the worst droughts in the United States
1950s drought »2 of 5 «
Residents of the Great Plains and the southwestern United States were hit with a drought that ran from 1950 to 1956. In Texas, LiveScience reports, rainfall decreased by 40 percent between 1949 and 1951. The drought caused Texas to kick off the modern era of water planning in the state. The Statesman reports that after the 1950s drought, Texas policymakers developed drought contingency plans, expanded water storage and sought new sources of groundwater, while state and federal departments of agriculture put in safeguard programs to help farmers deal with severe droughts.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on bikinis
- LDS Church responds to 'misinformation' about...
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney lost...
- Amy Adams, Glenn Beck present different takes...
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah Utes...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Colorado Mormons join other faiths in...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney... 77
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 57
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 30
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 25
- NSA director says surveillance programs... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21