See 5 of the worst droughts in the United States
1950s drought »2 of 5 «
Residents of the Great Plains and the southwestern United States were hit with a drought that ran from 1950 to 1956. In Texas, LiveScience reports, rainfall decreased by 40 percent between 1949 and 1951. The drought caused Texas to kick off the modern era of water planning in the state. The Statesman reports that after the 1950s drought, Texas policymakers developed drought contingency plans, expanded water storage and sought new sources of groundwater, while state and federal departments of agriculture put in safeguard programs to help farmers deal with severe droughts.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Abortion supporters get help from... 23
- Job insecurity is the new normal.... 20
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 19
- Obama rule for power plants to compel... 18
- The lie behind the idea that ‘sex... 15
- Obama to extend college Pell grants to... 12
- Sanders rallies supporters in... 11
- Clinton charity donors surge amid... 11