See 5 of the worst droughts in the United States
1950s drought »2 of 5 «
Residents of the Great Plains and the southwestern United States were hit with a drought that ran from 1950 to 1956. In Texas, LiveScience reports, rainfall decreased by 40 percent between 1949 and 1951. The drought caused Texas to kick off the modern era of water planning in the state. The Statesman reports that after the 1950s drought, Texas policymakers developed drought contingency plans, expanded water storage and sought new sources of groundwater, while state and federal departments of agriculture put in safeguard programs to help farmers deal with severe droughts.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8