See 5 of the worst droughts in the United States
1950s drought »2 of 5 «
Residents of the Great Plains and the southwestern United States were hit with a drought that ran from 1950 to 1956. In Texas, LiveScience reports, rainfall decreased by 40 percent between 1949 and 1951. The drought caused Texas to kick off the modern era of water planning in the state. The Statesman reports that after the 1950s drought, Texas policymakers developed drought contingency plans, expanded water storage and sought new sources of groundwater, while state and federal departments of agriculture put in safeguard programs to help farmers deal with severe droughts.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to...
- Is your financial house in order? 10...
- The Clean Cut: Stuttering comedian wins over...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 36
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7