10 influential women in U.S. politics
Nancy Pelosi »2 of 10 «
Nancy Pelosi spent 25 years as the representative for California's 28th Congressional District before becoming the Democratic leader of the U.S. House of Representatives for the 112th Congress. She was subsequently elected as the first woman in history to serve as Speaker of the House of Representatives and is considered to be the highest ranking female politician in U.S. history. As a heavily left-leaning Democrat, Pelosi has tried to focus much of her efforts on economic issues, although she has drawn attention for her perspectives on civil liberties, abortion and LGBT rights, as well.
»2 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS First Presidency announces area...
- New mission presidents
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 28
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 24
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 13
- Many 8th graders score poorly on US... 12
- Right call? Orioles take the field in... 11