Working through the chaos: How firefighters tackle wildfires
»30 items «
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Smoke plumes over the mountains as some of Utah’s largest wildfires rage on. Firefighters work long hours with little rest to protect homes endangered by fire. Amid the chaos of wildfires that toe the perimeters of residential areas, how do firefighters maintain control? Check out this extended gallery that illustrates some of the dangers firefighters face, the techniques they use to control the destruction and terms used in wildfire situations. Firefighters operate under a series of procedures to keep order in emergency situations and, ultimately, work to protect the lives and property of those they serve. These operating procedures are in place to manage everything from firefighters and equipment to finances and logistics.
»30 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 18
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9