Working through the chaos: How firefighters tackle wildfires
»30 items «
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Smoke plumes over the mountains as some of Utah’s largest wildfires rage on. Firefighters work long hours with little rest to protect homes endangered by fire. Amid the chaos of wildfires that toe the perimeters of residential areas, how do firefighters maintain control? Check out this extended gallery that illustrates some of the dangers firefighters face, the techniques they use to control the destruction and terms used in wildfire situations. Firefighters operate under a series of procedures to keep order in emergency situations and, ultimately, work to protect the lives and property of those they serve. These operating procedures are in place to manage everything from firefighters and equipment to finances and logistics.
»30 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 14
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Obama scores coalition victory with... 7