Working through the chaos: How firefighters tackle wildfires
»30 items «
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Smoke plumes over the mountains as some of Utah’s largest wildfires rage on. Firefighters work long hours with little rest to protect homes endangered by fire. Amid the chaos of wildfires that toe the perimeters of residential areas, how do firefighters maintain control? Check out this extended gallery that illustrates some of the dangers firefighters face, the techniques they use to control the destruction and terms used in wildfire situations. Firefighters operate under a series of procedures to keep order in emergency situations and, ultimately, work to protect the lives and property of those they serve. These operating procedures are in place to manage everything from firefighters and equipment to finances and logistics.
»30 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Nepal quake: Over 1,000 dead, history razed,...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Same-sex marriage opponents urge... 36
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 28
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 24
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 20
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 12