Working through the chaos: How firefighters tackle wildfires
»30 items «
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Smoke plumes over the mountains as some of Utah’s largest wildfires rage on. Firefighters work long hours with little rest to protect homes endangered by fire. Amid the chaos of wildfires that toe the perimeters of residential areas, how do firefighters maintain control? Check out this extended gallery that illustrates some of the dangers firefighters face, the techniques they use to control the destruction and terms used in wildfire situations. Firefighters operate under a series of procedures to keep order in emergency situations and, ultimately, work to protect the lives and property of those they serve. These operating procedures are in place to manage everything from firefighters and equipment to finances and logistics.
»30 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New temple presidents
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 169
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 18
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 16
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 16
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- David Letterman leaves late night with... 12
- Irish premier: 'Create history' by... 12