The poorest areas in Utah by ZIP code
»50 items «
Photo Dean via Flickr
The Supreme Court's ruling on health care Thursday, could leave the poorest Americans at the greatest risk, according to MSNBC. The Affordable Care Act allows state health insurance exchanges, giving tax credits to eligible citizens so they can purchase health care, according to the article. The problem is that the poorest Americans, who aren't covered by current programs, aren't eligible for such tax credits because the law assumes they'll get Medicaid, which isn't a certainty anymore. The ruling allows states to opt out from the law which could leave some poor Americans without any insurance at all, according to the article. In Utah, 30.1 percent of people under 18 with a household income of $46,100 don't have health insurance, according to 2009 data from the Utah Department of Health. About 62.8 percent of Utahans ages 19 to 64 with that same income. Here's a list of the poorest areas in Utah by zip code. The data is from 2008, the most recently available information from the Internal Revenue Service. The zip codes are sorted by the average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). AGI is gross income minus adjustments. Population figures are from the 2010 census, the most recent data.
»50 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Salt Lake City is now 'Ski City USA' in... 5
- Financial interventions don't work 5
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- GM expert says 19 deaths eligible for... 1
- US current account deficit dips to... 1
- University of Utah entrepreneurship... 1