9 misquoted Bible phrases
"The Lord works in mysterious ways." »2 of 9 «
This particular phrase is not found anywhere in the Bible, although it is often misquoted as being a Bible verse. There are several ideas about where this saying grew from, one being a hymn written by William Cowper in the 19th century that says, "God moves in a mysterious ways; His wonders to perform; He plans His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm." There are several verses that may seem to allude to this idea as well, including Romans 11:33: "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" (KJV)
»2 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- New mission presidents
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 173
- Why I don’t call myself a... 96
- General Women's Session focuses on... 32
- State bills to protect religious... 23
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 15
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 13