9 misquoted Bible phrases
"The Lord works in mysterious ways." »2 of 9 «
This particular phrase is not found anywhere in the Bible, although it is often misquoted as being a Bible verse. There are several ideas about where this saying grew from, one being a hymn written by William Cowper in the 19th century that says, "God moves in a mysterious ways; His wonders to perform; He plans His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm." There are several verses that may seem to allude to this idea as well, including Romans 11:33: "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" (KJV)
»2 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 25
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 24
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 22
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 18
- The benefits some families see from... 15
- Power of one: BYU grad hopes to help... 8