Thirty reasons marriage matters more than ever
According to "Why Marriage Matters, Thirty Conclusions from the Social Sciences," a report from the Institute for American Values and the National Marriage Project, in the latter half of the 20th century, divorce posed the biggest threat to marriage in the United States.
"No more," says the report. "Today, the rise of cohabiting households with children is the largest unrecognized threat to the quality and stability of children's family lives."
The study analyzes the impact of cohabitation on the family and specifically children based on recent scholarship.
The report is broken down into 30 conclusions, which make up the bulk of this list. These conclusions can be subscribed to five fundamental themes.
1. Children are less likely to thrive in cohabiting households, compared to intact, married families.
2. Family instability is generally bad for children.
3. American family life is becoming increasingly unstable for children.
4. The growing instability of American family life also means that contemporary adults and children are more likely to live in what scholars call "complex households."
5. The nation's retreat from marriage has hit poor and working-class communities with particular force.
The full report can be downloaded as a PDF or purchased as a booklet from The Institute for American Values website.
Related article: Family structure counts
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to unite to...
- LDS university president receives national...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- Couple married 67 years dies holding hands
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- The most overlooked characteristic of the...
- Erin Stewart: Why I vaccinate my... 21
- The Clean Cut: Lady Gaga stuns with... 20
- The Internet and depression: How... 4
- Jewish woman launches modest online... 4
- For kids older than 2, a nap may only... 2
- There's no escaping 'Saturday Night Live' 2
- LDS couple shares faith after 8 years... 1
- Saving Eliza: Family captures moments... 1