Thirty reasons marriage matters more than ever
According to "Why Marriage Matters, Thirty Conclusions from the Social Sciences," a report from the Institute for American Values and the National Marriage Project, in the latter half of the 20th century, divorce posed the biggest threat to marriage in the United States.
"No more," says the report. "Today, the rise of cohabiting households with children is the largest unrecognized threat to the quality and stability of children's family lives."
The study analyzes the impact of cohabitation on the family and specifically children based on recent scholarship.
The report is broken down into 30 conclusions, which make up the bulk of this list. These conclusions can be subscribed to five fundamental themes.
1. Children are less likely to thrive in cohabiting households, compared to intact, married families.
2. Family instability is generally bad for children.
3. American family life is becoming increasingly unstable for children.
4. The growing instability of American family life also means that contemporary adults and children are more likely to live in what scholars call "complex households."
5. The nation's retreat from marriage has hit poor and working-class communities with particular force.
The full report can be downloaded as a PDF or purchased as a booklet from The Institute for American Values website.
Related article: Family structure counts
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 7
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2