Thirty reasons marriage matters more than ever
According to "Why Marriage Matters, Thirty Conclusions from the Social Sciences," a report from the Institute for American Values and the National Marriage Project, in the latter half of the 20th century, divorce posed the biggest threat to marriage in the United States.
"No more," says the report. "Today, the rise of cohabiting households with children is the largest unrecognized threat to the quality and stability of children's family lives."
The study analyzes the impact of cohabitation on the family and specifically children based on recent scholarship.
The report is broken down into 30 conclusions, which make up the bulk of this list. These conclusions can be subscribed to five fundamental themes.
1. Children are less likely to thrive in cohabiting households, compared to intact, married families.
2. Family instability is generally bad for children.
3. American family life is becoming increasingly unstable for children.
4. The growing instability of American family life also means that contemporary adults and children are more likely to live in what scholars call "complex households."
5. The nation's retreat from marriage has hit poor and working-class communities with particular force.
The full report can be downloaded as a PDF or purchased as a booklet from The Institute for American Values website.
Related article: Family structure counts
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Friday night lights central: Scores, stories,...
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney accepts ALS Ice...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with...
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 31
- Provo company creates program that... 17
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney accepts ALS... 16
- How your premarital experiences can... 12
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice... 12
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11