Where did Memorial Day originate?
»13 items «
Though many celebrate and pay tribute to fallen soldiers throughout the year, Memorial Day has been designated as the day Americans remember and honor the men and women who have died in service of this nation. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because of the decorating of the grave, however, some may wonder where this tradition originated, and many towns in the Eastern U.S. eagerly stake that claim. According to the Civil War Center, here are 13 towns with stories claiming that Memorial Day began within their city borders by their citizens.
»13 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- New mission presidents
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 84
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 29
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 12
- Religious response to postponed... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 11
- VP Joe Biden: More access to higher ed... 10
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 10