Where did Memorial Day originate?
»13 items «
Though many celebrate and pay tribute to fallen soldiers throughout the year, Memorial Day has been designated as the day Americans remember and honor the men and women who have died in service of this nation. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because of the decorating of the grave, however, some may wonder where this tradition originated, and many towns in the Eastern U.S. eagerly stake that claim. According to the Civil War Center, here are 13 towns with stories claiming that Memorial Day began within their city borders by their citizens.
»13 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- LDS First Presidency announces area...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- New mission presidents
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 19
- More Americans spending at least half... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 12
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9