Where did Memorial Day originate?
»13 items «
Though many celebrate and pay tribute to fallen soldiers throughout the year, Memorial Day has been designated as the day Americans remember and honor the men and women who have died in service of this nation. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because of the decorating of the grave, however, some may wonder where this tradition originated, and many towns in the Eastern U.S. eagerly stake that claim. According to the Civil War Center, here are 13 towns with stories claiming that Memorial Day began within their city borders by their citizens.
»13 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 98
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 97
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25