Where did Memorial Day originate?
»13 items «
Though many celebrate and pay tribute to fallen soldiers throughout the year, Memorial Day has been designated as the day Americans remember and honor the men and women who have died in service of this nation. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because of the decorating of the grave, however, some may wonder where this tradition originated, and many towns in the Eastern U.S. eagerly stake that claim. According to the Civil War Center, here are 13 towns with stories claiming that Memorial Day began within their city borders by their citizens.
»13 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 48
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 32
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 31
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 12
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8