Where did Memorial Day originate?
»13 items «
Though many celebrate and pay tribute to fallen soldiers throughout the year, Memorial Day has been designated as the day Americans remember and honor the men and women who have died in service of this nation. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because of the decorating of the grave, however, some may wonder where this tradition originated, and many towns in the Eastern U.S. eagerly stake that claim. According to the Civil War Center, here are 13 towns with stories claiming that Memorial Day began within their city borders by their citizens.
»13 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- New mission presidents
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- Rep. Trey Gowdy: Hillary Clinton wiped... 48
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 34
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot... 27
- Preparing for 2016 campaign, Hillary... 17
- Military: Bowe Bergdahl may face life... 17