Where did Memorial Day originate?
»13 items «
Though many celebrate and pay tribute to fallen soldiers throughout the year, Memorial Day has been designated as the day Americans remember and honor the men and women who have died in service of this nation. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because of the decorating of the grave, however, some may wonder where this tradition originated, and many towns in the Eastern U.S. eagerly stake that claim. According to the Civil War Center, here are 13 towns with stories claiming that Memorial Day began within their city borders by their citizens.
»13 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- ‘Stay strong,’ says 15-year-old...
- Videographer explains drone flight over D.C....
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned over...
- The Clean Cut: Disney World surprise gone wrong
- Colbie Caillat tells women they are more than...
- There's some highlights in Utah Jazz's Summer...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 66
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Boehner, McConnell blast Obama border... 41
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 33
- Gallup poll: Mormons like Obama least... 31
- Thousands of unaccompanied migrant... 26
- President Obama aims to shift border... 23
- Obama seeks $3.7 billion to deal with... 20