20 things more likely to happen than winning the Mega Millions lottery
»20 items «
Mike Catalano, chairman of the mathematics department at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, S.D., discusses the odds of winning in lottery games with his students to show how unlikely it is. He calculates winning a huge lottery to be roughly 1 in 176 million - and gets worse the more tickets are purchased. "You're about 50 times as likely to get struck by lightening as to win the lottery, based on the 90 people a year getting struck by lightening," Catalano said. "Of course, if you buy 50 tickets, you've equalized your chances of winning the jackpot with getting struck by lightning." Interesting. I couldn't help wonder what else might be more likely than winning the lottery. The answers were amusing and even a little alarming. Related: What you could do with $310 million? Here's a guide'
»20 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4