20 things more likely to happen than winning the Mega Millions lottery
»20 items «
Mike Catalano, chairman of the mathematics department at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, S.D., discusses the odds of winning in lottery games with his students to show how unlikely it is. He calculates winning a huge lottery to be roughly 1 in 176 million - and gets worse the more tickets are purchased. "You're about 50 times as likely to get struck by lightening as to win the lottery, based on the 90 people a year getting struck by lightening," Catalano said. "Of course, if you buy 50 tickets, you've equalized your chances of winning the jackpot with getting struck by lightning." Interesting. I couldn't help wonder what else might be more likely than winning the lottery. The answers were amusing and even a little alarming. Related: What you could do with $310 million? Here's a guide'
»20 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- New temple presidents
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 22
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 18
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 16
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- Ireland votes on gay marriage; Catholic... 11
- Democrats see skimpy insurance as the... 11