45 dark movies made for young audiences
“Ender’s Game,” “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” are set to hit the silver screen this holiday season, all of which are popular young adult novel adaptations.
The books have sold millions of copies and have resonated with audiences around the world. But with such dark subject matter, the excitement among young moviegoers has some wondering if its good for young audiences.
Time Magazine’s Christopher J. Ferguson weighed in on the subject, saying, “Parents are free, of course, to use their moral compass to decide which media is appropriate for their families, but some of my own research suggests that the best option is for parents to consume violent-themed entertainment alongside their children rather than to either shield kids from it or leave them on their own.”
Others feel that children can wait. Referring to the first Hunger Games film, Deseret News columnist Carmen Rasmusen Herbert wrote, “Because of the extreme graphic descriptions of some of the tributes’ deaths in the story, I would say that any tween or young teen that has a hard time with watching or reading about violent acts would be haunted by these disturbing images for weeks.”
But these aren’t the first controversial movies aimed at youths. Shows such as “The Wizard of Oz,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “The Nightmare Before Christmas” are well known for pushing the envelope in the area of dark material for young audiences. Here are 45 movies that parents have been talking about for years — or will be.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 74