Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Crews dig through night after deadly Okla....
- Funeral services for Sister Frances J. Monson...
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21
- Journalists criticize Obama... 17