Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New temple presidents
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed hotel...
- President Uchtdorf recalls being a refugee,...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- New mission presidents
- Newlywed viral Star Wars couple: 'The Force...
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title outright
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to get...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 107
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 33
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 29
- In Hiroshima, Obama honors 'silent cry'... 25
- Donald Trump breaks with nation's only... 17
- Trump tells California 'there is no... 17