Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- LDS First Presidency announces changes to...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Do we really need milk?
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13