Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 8