Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New temple presidents
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 29
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14