Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4