Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 301
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36