Anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami
»40 items «
On Sunday March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami disaster that changed the country forever. It was a day that will always be remembered as one when the world witnessed terrible destruction, confusion and utter heartache for those affected. An intense earthquake at 0546 GMT, which hit 8.9 on the Richter scale, unloaded a massive tsunami that tore through Japan's eastern coastline. The terror did not end there. More than 50 sizeable aftershocks occurred throughout the day. March 12, 2011, brought further devastation with an explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. Hundreds of thousands were forced to evacuate their homes for fear of radiation poisoning. The past year has been one of rebuilding for the Japanese people. The world looks back at last year's tragic events and honors the memory of those lost. The disaster has resulted in $220 billion in reconstruction costs. For resources to offer relief or dontaions, please visit www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.
»40 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund sustained...
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: 'Behold Thy Mother'
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: 'It works!'
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn, 30-13,...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Gunman opens fire at Oregon college; at... 62
- 'A terrible day' - 9 killed by gunman... 61
- Investigation: Secret Service tried to... 52
- Obama says response to shootings has... 49
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- GOP: Planned Parenthood spends federal... 45
- Obama says fight against Islamic State... 26