Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- General manager Dennis Lindsey feels Utah...
- Family of scholars: Utah family celebrates...
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe than...
- NBA draft: Weber State's Joel Bolomboy...
- LDS family stars in new TLC show, stresses...
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop featured...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 71
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 70
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Dems stage election-year sit-in on... 46
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 42
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a... 29