Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- LDS First Presidency announces changes to...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 88
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 56
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Violence follows California Trump... 34
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 33
- ... 31
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill... 21