Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for mental,...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for... 136
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 55
- Bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for... 54
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 28
- Obama's counterterrorism policy facing... 22
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 22
- Did the news media show bias in its... 22
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 17