Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Yes-We-Can president faces twilight of... 14
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 12
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- N. Korea compares Obama to monkey in... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 7
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Jeb Bush to step down from Tenet... 5