Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 53
- Texas Sen. Ted Cruz targets... 44
- Rep. Trey Gowdy: Hillary Clinton wiped... 41
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 34
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot... 27
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18
- Preparing for 2016 campaign, Hillary... 17