Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- The first sign your marriage is in trouble
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Why my husband never sleeps on the couch and...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 56
- Obama muses about his legacy, offers... 26
- Justices rule for Muslim denied job... 13
- Mormon missionary killed, another... 11
- Beau Biden dies at 46; son of vice... 10
- GOP pledges to 'rein in' Obama on EPA... 10
- Watchdog says ex-Nazis got $20.2... 7
- Surveillance powers to lapse without... 7