Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Mormon mom, Mrs. Mexico, sticks to her...
- Silent star: Detroit Lions rookie Ziggy Ansah...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Arizona family shares Christmas greetings...
- Doug Robinson: Best and worst of the college...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- India government likely to review... 26
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 24