Iconic moments in New Hampshire primaries
1968 »1 of 8 «
Michigan Gov. George Romney takes 34 attempts at a Franklin, N.H., bowling alley before finally knocking down the final pin. Time Magazine notes that Romney "may not be a hotshot bowler, but he is no quitter." The writer spoke too soon. Two weeks before the March 12 primary, Romney withdraws in the face of insurmountable odds in his battle against Richard Nixon. Romney's collapse is largely attributed to an off-the-cuff remark earlier that summer asserting that he had been "brainwashed" into supporting the Vietnam War. He never recovered from the gaffe.
»1 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior is Born'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- New MTC presidents
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 40
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 36
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 31
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby... 22
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 18
- Planned Parenthood under fire literally... 14
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive... 14