Top 10 local sports stories of 2011
»10 items «
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
From Jimmer to Jerry, Utah was home to some sensational sports headlines in 2011. The Deseret News staff took a look at some of the state's top sports headlines from this past calendar year, and asked a few local sports commentators and reporters for their thoughts and observations on the phenomenal and the phenoms. Hope you enjoy. Honorable mentions: Conference realignment rumors keep fans — and sometimes college administrators — guessing as BYU was often involved in said rumors Bingham has 13 seniors sign scholarship commitments with colleges on National Signing Day Norm Chow hired as Utah's offensive coordinator, but then he leaves after one season to coach at Hawaii Weber State head coach Ron McBride, 72, retires after 50 years in coaching John L. Smith takes the Weber State head football coaching job Jazz have a tremendous start and then end up missing the playoffs NBA lockout delays the start of the season Women's ski jumping is officially included in the Sochi Winter Olympics (2014), and then six months later Park City's Sarah Hendrickson, 17, wins the first FIS Women's Ski Jumping World Cup competition St. George's Jay Don Blake breaks through on Senior Tour
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New MTC presidents
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29