Top 10 local sports stories of 2011
»10 items «
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
From Jimmer to Jerry, Utah was home to some sensational sports headlines in 2011. The Deseret News staff took a look at some of the state's top sports headlines from this past calendar year, and asked a few local sports commentators and reporters for their thoughts and observations on the phenomenal and the phenoms. Hope you enjoy. Honorable mentions: Conference realignment rumors keep fans — and sometimes college administrators — guessing as BYU was often involved in said rumors Bingham has 13 seniors sign scholarship commitments with colleges on National Signing Day Norm Chow hired as Utah's offensive coordinator, but then he leaves after one season to coach at Hawaii Weber State head coach Ron McBride, 72, retires after 50 years in coaching John L. Smith takes the Weber State head football coaching job Jazz have a tremendous start and then end up missing the playoffs NBA lockout delays the start of the season Women's ski jumping is officially included in the Sochi Winter Olympics (2014), and then six months later Park City's Sarah Hendrickson, 17, wins the first FIS Women's Ski Jumping World Cup competition St. George's Jay Don Blake breaks through on Senior Tour
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 75
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Ute quarterback Chase Hansen finding... 29
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 23
- Mountain West Conference announces... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17