Top 10 local sports stories of 2011
»10 items «
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
From Jimmer to Jerry, Utah was home to some sensational sports headlines in 2011. The Deseret News staff took a look at some of the state's top sports headlines from this past calendar year, and asked a few local sports commentators and reporters for their thoughts and observations on the phenomenal and the phenoms. Hope you enjoy. Honorable mentions: Conference realignment rumors keep fans — and sometimes college administrators — guessing as BYU was often involved in said rumors Bingham has 13 seniors sign scholarship commitments with colleges on National Signing Day Norm Chow hired as Utah's offensive coordinator, but then he leaves after one season to coach at Hawaii Weber State head coach Ron McBride, 72, retires after 50 years in coaching John L. Smith takes the Weber State head football coaching job Jazz have a tremendous start and then end up missing the playoffs NBA lockout delays the start of the season Women's ski jumping is officially included in the Sochi Winter Olympics (2014), and then six months later Park City's Sarah Hendrickson, 17, wins the first FIS Women's Ski Jumping World Cup competition St. George's Jay Don Blake breaks through on Senior Tour
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- New mission presidents
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16