Top 10 local sports stories of 2011
»10 items «
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
From Jimmer to Jerry, Utah was home to some sensational sports headlines in 2011. The Deseret News staff took a look at some of the state's top sports headlines from this past calendar year, and asked a few local sports commentators and reporters for their thoughts and observations on the phenomenal and the phenoms. Hope you enjoy. Honorable mentions: Conference realignment rumors keep fans — and sometimes college administrators — guessing as BYU was often involved in said rumors Bingham has 13 seniors sign scholarship commitments with colleges on National Signing Day Norm Chow hired as Utah's offensive coordinator, but then he leaves after one season to coach at Hawaii Weber State head coach Ron McBride, 72, retires after 50 years in coaching John L. Smith takes the Weber State head football coaching job Jazz have a tremendous start and then end up missing the playoffs NBA lockout delays the start of the season Women's ski jumping is officially included in the Sochi Winter Olympics (2014), and then six months later Park City's Sarah Hendrickson, 17, wins the first FIS Women's Ski Jumping World Cup competition St. George's Jay Don Blake breaks through on Senior Tour
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 46
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 23