Top 10 local sports stories of 2011
»10 items «
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
From Jimmer to Jerry, Utah was home to some sensational sports headlines in 2011. The Deseret News staff took a look at some of the state's top sports headlines from this past calendar year, and asked a few local sports commentators and reporters for their thoughts and observations on the phenomenal and the phenoms. Hope you enjoy. Honorable mentions: Conference realignment rumors keep fans — and sometimes college administrators — guessing as BYU was often involved in said rumors Bingham has 13 seniors sign scholarship commitments with colleges on National Signing Day Norm Chow hired as Utah's offensive coordinator, but then he leaves after one season to coach at Hawaii Weber State head coach Ron McBride, 72, retires after 50 years in coaching John L. Smith takes the Weber State head football coaching job Jazz have a tremendous start and then end up missing the playoffs NBA lockout delays the start of the season Women's ski jumping is officially included in the Sochi Winter Olympics (2014), and then six months later Park City's Sarah Hendrickson, 17, wins the first FIS Women's Ski Jumping World Cup competition St. George's Jay Don Blake breaks through on Senior Tour
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26