USA Today/Gallup poll: Most Admired men of 2011
#10 - Thomas S. Monson »1 of 10 «
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Thomas S. Monson grew up in Utah and served in the navy near the end of World War II. After graduating in business from the University of Utah, he worked as an advertising executive for and eventual general manager of the Deseret News. His service for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints began at an early age, when he was called as a bishop at age 22. Since then he has served in various capacities for the LDS Church and was called as an apostle for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 36. He has served as President of the LDS Church since 2008 and has overseen the dedication of multiple LDS Temples during his time as the Church's prophet. He is known for his charity during his time as an LDS bishop and as an apostle, as well as for his remarkable memory and gift for story telling.
»1 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund sustained...
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: 'Behold Thy Mother'
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- New LDS apostles already have presence on...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Complete transcript of press conference with...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Gunman opens fire at Oregon college; at... 62
- 'A terrible day' - 9 killed by gunman... 61
- Investigation: Secret Service tried to... 52
- Obama says response to shootings has... 50
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- GOP: Planned Parenthood spends federal... 45
- Obama says fight against Islamic State... 26