Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in 2011
»10 items «
They lived by the sword, both inspiring fear and acts of bloodshed around the world. And in the end, they both suffered violent deaths befitting their fearsome reputations. Perhaps no two deaths in 2011 transfixed the world more than those of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden and Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi. If relief and even celebration by many greeted their demise, the deaths of other notables in 2011 brought reflection on lives of achievement. The world of science and innovation lost Steve Jobs, the Apple founder who invented and marketed sleek gadgets that transformed everyday technology from the personal computer to the iPod, iPhone and iPad. In entertainment, the world lost Elizabeth Taylor, a woman whose sultry screen persona, stormy personal life and enduring fame made her one of the last of the classic movie stars. The year also saw the passing of soul singer Amy Winehouse, whose death at age 27 left many wondering what works of musical brilliance the world might have seen from the troubled, young star. See the full list here.
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Research and control at center of marijuana...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- New study shows the ugly truth behind office...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- Returned LDS missionary making a name for...
- New mission presidents
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Chris Hicks: Academy Award rules change... 3
- Down with love: 9 movies to celebrate... 3
- Making music together: Couples of Utah... 1
- Salt Lake native to compete on... 1
- Game Review: Tumult Royale: It's tough... 0
- A black-and-white Valentine’s... 0
- 'Zoolander 2' is too little too late... 0
- 'Zoolander 2': 3 points for parents 0