10 memorable Utah-BYU games at the Huntsman Center
#9 - Feb. 3, 1989: Utah 90, BYU 86 »2 of 10 «
Neither team was having a great season when the two rivals met in this early February game, tied for fifth place at 3-4 in WAC play. But the two teams produced a run-and-gun shootout that wasn't decided until the final minute. The Cougars led 86-84, but couldn't score over the final two-and-a-half minutes of the game. Mitch Smith and Jimmy Madison both scored to put the Utes ahead for good. Then after Smith stripped the ball from freshman John Fish, Jon Hansen added another basket for Utah. Ute freshman Josh Grant scored a career-high 24 points and added nine rebounds, eight assists and four blocks. BYU was led by Michael Smith with 21 points, but he only made 7 of 20 shots from the field.
»2 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Fire chief says search almost complete in...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 128
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 40
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11