Ranking the best season by a quarterback in BYU history
BYU has been known as a quarterback factory for the better part of four decades, and for good reason. Those four decades have provided some of the best years in school history. They have led BYU to incredible seasons on the grid iron as a team and helped to propel the Cougars into the national spotlight.
Along the way, the great BYU signal callers have received plenty of recognition on both the conference and national level. There have been conference player of the year awards, All-American seasons,Sammy Baugh and Davey O'Brien trophies for the nation's best quarterback and even a Heisman Trophy.
While most of the quarterbacks have done most of the damage through the air, some have also done serious work with their legs. Both skill sets were taken into account when ranking each season as well as team success and individual awards. It is also important to know that while stats played a role in these rankings, it was more important how each player fared in relation to his peers because the game has changed so much.
Here is a look at the best of the best of those seasons.
All rankings in conference and national leaderboards are from Sports-reference.com. All award information, school records and NCAA records are from BYUCougars.com.
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out of...
- Marriage isn’t about romance
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35