20 of the most influential and innovative Hollywood films of all time
This year marks the 75th anniversary of one of cinema's most enduring and influential classics: "The Wizard of Oz."
Known not only as a staple of childhood wonder, the 1939 film adaptation of L. Frank Baum's book is also in the history books for being the film that popularized the use of Technicolor in film. Even today, long after the normalization of color in film, critics such as Leonard Maltin marvel at the film's innovative use of the color palette. "The old-fashioned, old-school wizardry of MGM still looks impressive to me today," he said.
Here, we've compiled a list of 20 other innovative and influential films that will likely be remembered for their contributions to the ever-changing shape of modern cinema. Because many of the films are relatively recent, the long tail of their influence may not yet be fully realized, but the legacy of innovation, exemplified by "The Wizard of Oz" shines through them all the same.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- The 9 most overlooked threats to a marriage
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 79
- Richard Davis: It's time for a new... 54
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 50
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 48
- Dan Liljenquist: Ebola virus has... 29
- Jay Evensen: If FCC bans Redskins'... 28
- In our opinion: Take Ebola seriously,... 27
- Charles Krauthammer: We need to... 27