20 of the most influential and innovative Hollywood films of all time
This year marks the 75th anniversary of one of cinema's most enduring and influential classics: "The Wizard of Oz."
Known not only as a staple of childhood wonder, the 1939 film adaptation of L. Frank Baum's book is also in the history books for being the film that popularized the use of Technicolor in film. Even today, long after the normalization of color in film, critics such as Leonard Maltin marvel at the film's innovative use of the color palette. "The old-fashioned, old-school wizardry of MGM still looks impressive to me today," he said.
Here, we've compiled a list of 20 other innovative and influential films that will likely be remembered for their contributions to the ever-changing shape of modern cinema. Because many of the films are relatively recent, the long tail of their influence may not yet be fully realized, but the legacy of innovation, exemplified by "The Wizard of Oz" shines through them all the same.
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- LDS Church opposed to state senator's medical...
- New mission presidents
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- My view: It is trendy to be extreme in... 47
- Drew Clark: Uniting the Republican... 46
- In our opinion: Why Religious Freedom... 37
- Letter: Obama had no choice 35
- Letter: Breaking rivalry contract 29
- Mia Love: One subject at a time 28
- In our opinion: Time for Evans to drop... 20
- Where's my money going? 20