Preseason viewer's guide: Clash of the Cougars in Detroit
One simple transaction last Saturday made this week's preseason game between the Detroit Lions and Jacksonville Jaguars even more appealing for BYU fans.
While the Lions already employ former Cougars Kyle Van Noy and Ezekiel Ansah, the Jaguars, in need of fullback help, signed BYU's all-time leading rusher, Harvey Unga.
Given that they play on opposite sides of the ball, there's a chance that Unga could line up on the other side of Van Noy or Ansah during Friday's Detroit-Jacksonville contest.
There is hope that Ansah, who last week was activated off the physically unable to perform list, could see his first action of the preseason against the Jaguars.
“We’d love to see him in game situations, but I think the most important thing is to get him to the regular season," Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said Wednesday. "We have him in some more practice situations this week, so we were able to ramp him up a little bit and we’ll just keep evaluating to see when it’s best to get him out there and get him going.”
This is the dress rehearsal week in the NFL, as there will be extended competition between the teams' starters. Teams must cut their rosters to a maximum of 75 players by 2 p.m. MDT on Tuesday.
Unga also has more competition in making the Jaguars' 53-man roster. On Wednesday, Jacksonville signed another fullback, Eric Kattani, giving the team three fullbacks on its roster.
If you're a night owl, you can catch a replay of the Lions-Jaguars game at 2 a.m. MDT Saturday on NFL Network, or you can wait for another replay on Wednesday at 8 a.m., again on NFL Network.
Here's a game-by-game look at Week 3 of the NFL preseason and which local ties to watch for this weekend (rookies are noted):
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- New temple presidents
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- New mission presidents
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16