From Ty's Prize to Hale Mary: Top 10 games in LaVell Edwards/Cougar Stadium history
No. 1: BYU vs. Miami, 1990 »12 of 12 «
The Miami Hurricanes came into Cougar Stadium as defending national champions and ranked No. 1 in the country. That didn't deter BYU from pulling the 28-21 upset in an electric atmosphere.
Miami entered the contest as a 13½-point favorite, and early on, the Hurricanes led 7-0. Ty Detmer and the Cougars rallied, scoring on a pair of touchdown passes and an Earl Kauffman field goal to head into halftime up 17-14.
After the Hurricanes scored first in the third quarter to go back up 21-17, the BYU offense strung together 11 points the remainder of the quarter — including a touchdown pass from Detmer to Mike Salido — to give the Cougars the 28-21 lead heading into the final stanza. The BYU defense stood tall, preserving the Cougar lead to seal the win.
Detmer used this victory to jumpstart his Heisman Trophy winning campaign that season, as the offense rolled up 500 yards and overcame five turnovers. The defense also came up big, including knocking a pair of passes away near the goal line late in the contest and holding Miami quarterback Craig Erickson to 299 passing yards and one interception.
"The victory was the most important in Brigham Young history," Ed Sherman of the Chicago Tribune wrote, according to the Deseret News archives. "Even if Brigham Young doesn't win the title, it captured something equally as important Saturday: respect. It didn't come after the 1984 national championship, because then BYU was criticized for playing an easy schedule. Indeed, the Cougars didn't beat a ranked team that year. Brigham Young did Saturday. And it opened many eyes throughout the nation."
»12 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for mental,...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 104
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 19