10 of the most iconic protests in recent history
Twenty-five years ago June 4, the Chinese government violently cleared Tiananmen Square of protestors. The protestors, many of whom were students, wanted democracy, freedom of the press, and a more transparent government, among other things.
They were met by the Chinese military who brought tanks and guns. Although there are no recorded numbers on how many protestors were killed that day, the estimate is anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand people, The Atlantic reports.
There is a limited amount of information available about the protest. The pictured figure facing down four Chinese tanks may never be identified, but he has become a symbol of the Tiananmen Square protests and the following massacre.
As the world remembers the events of Tiananmen Square, we have compiled ten more iconic protests within recent history.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Why I make my kids go to church
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- New mission presidents
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: 'Faith, Family and...
- LDS girl's imagination takes viewers of a new...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 43
- Letter: Medically fragile 41
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Duties of the job 28
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 24
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the... 23