10 of the most iconic protests in recent history
Twenty-five years ago June 4, the Chinese government violently cleared Tiananmen Square of protestors. The protestors, many of whom were students, wanted democracy, freedom of the press, and a more transparent government, among other things.
They were met by the Chinese military who brought tanks and guns. Although there are no recorded numbers on how many protestors were killed that day, the estimate is anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand people, The Atlantic reports.
There is a limited amount of information available about the protest. The pictured figure facing down four Chinese tanks may never be identified, but he has become a symbol of the Tiananmen Square protests and the following massacre.
As the world remembers the events of Tiananmen Square, we have compiled ten more iconic protests within recent history.
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- New mission presidents
- New temple presidents
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Ralph Hancock: Religious freedom and... 75
- Letter: Wrong wage approach 47
- Letter: No more hungry kids 41
- Kathleen Parker: Hillary Clinton's... 40
- Greg Bell: The problem of being a... 38
- Utah's 'grand bargain' stands in sharp... 34
- Letter: Unemployment compensation 33
- Letter: Intimate caucus system 27