15 nations with the highest gun ownership
The violence in California this weekend which resulted in six deaths provoked once again discussions on several different topics related to gun violence, including mental health issues, cultural misogyny, as well as gun laws and even gun ownership.
Listed here are the fifteen countries with the highest rates of civilian gun ownership, based on a comprehensive ranking of countries provided by the Washington Post.
The United States, while it does have the highest rate of civilian-owned guns and the highest rate of firearm homicides among developed democracies, is fairly low on the overall world ranking. The three highest ranked countries in firearm homicides per 100,000 people are Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica, respectively.
The country with the highest percentage of homicides by guns is Liechtenstein, with a rate of 100 percent — but only because there was only one recorded homicide in Liechtenstein in 2009 and 2010. Following Liechtenstein is Puerto Rico, with a rate of 94.8 percent.
Where necessary, we've also included supplementary information on unique or relevant gun laws in certain countries.
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws ire
- LDS missionaries save apartment complex from...
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'...
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood should...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- Elder Per G. Malm dies at age 67
- New rule sparks debate over teacher...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 26
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- My view: Drafting women a threat to... 17