The most charitable states in America
Gallup has ranked each U.S. state by its charitable giving, listing Utah, Minnesota, and Hawaii as the most generous states.
A minimum of 600 citizens per state were asked whether they had personally donated money to charity, spent time volunteering with an organization, or both over the past month. All 50 states were polled between June and December of 2013.
In previous studies, Gallup has found a positive correlation between charitable giving and the well-being of a state ( well-being defined by Gallup primarily by economic and health related factors). This poll seems to confirm their previous findings, as all of the most charitable states are above the national average for well-being.
All information on our list comes from Gallup polls, with the exception of median state income, which was found in the most recent government census.
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- New temple presidents
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- 'He was a 'Star Trek' guy': Mark Hamill said...
- New mission presidents
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 6
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2