10 significant LDS Church history sites you might not know about
Kenneth Mays, who works as an instructor in the Church Educational System and serves as trustee for the Mormon Historic Sites Foundation, remembers taking his first photographs as a hobby in 1985. Since then, it's turned into "an out-of-control passion."
Tens of thousands of pictures later, Mays has amassed a collection of LDS Church history photos from around the world.
Mays, who teaches church history courses at LDS institutes, said he has never taught the exact same lesson twice.
"I started taking pictures and then I said, 'Well, I can use them in the lessons,' " Mays said. "It's a hobby that turned into something that I can use to teach church history. ... I can always take something new and infuse it into the lessons."
As he travels, Mays receives much of his information from locals and ward historians who know the areas and are eager to share their knowledge.
Mays has shared his photos and stories with the Deseret News through the weekly feature "Picturing History" in the Mormon Times section.
Many of the photos Mays takes are of lesser-known church history sites. A list of 10 of those sites was published in 2011.
Here are 10 more sites that may not be well-known to church members but are nonetheless significant to the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, with photos and information provided by Mays.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11