Peavler: Looking back at BYU athletics under Cecil O. Samuelson
On May 1, 2003, Cecil O. Samuelson became the 12th president of BYU.
A lot has changed since then, especially as far as athletics are concerned.
Val Hale was BYU's athletic director. Gary Crowton was the football head coach and Steve Cleveland was over basketball. BYU was still in the Mountain West Conference. No one even imagined then that the Cougars would one day be a FBS independent. BYU had KBYU, but it was your typical PBS station.
It's been a wild ride over the last 11 years with Samuelson. Now, as he rides into the sunset, it's time to look back at what happened with BYU athletics.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 222
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 73
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 71
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 27
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 22
- Dick Harmon: Onus is on Fredette to... 21