Peavler: Looking back at BYU athletics under Cecil O. Samuelson
On May 1, 2003, Cecil O. Samuelson became the 12th president of BYU.
A lot has changed since then, especially as far as athletics are concerned.
Val Hale was BYU's athletic director. Gary Crowton was the football head coach and Steve Cleveland was over basketball. BYU was still in the Mountain West Conference. No one even imagined then that the Cougars would one day be a FBS independent. BYU had KBYU, but it was your typical PBS station.
It's been a wild ride over the last 11 years with Samuelson. Now, as he rides into the sunset, it's time to look back at what happened with BYU athletics.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16