Peavler: Looking back at BYU athletics under Cecil O. Samuelson
On May 1, 2003, Cecil O. Samuelson became the 12th president of BYU.
A lot has changed since then, especially as far as athletics are concerned.
Val Hale was BYU's athletic director. Gary Crowton was the football head coach and Steve Cleveland was over basketball. BYU was still in the Mountain West Conference. No one even imagined then that the Cougars would one day be a FBS independent. BYU had KBYU, but it was your typical PBS station.
It's been a wild ride over the last 11 years with Samuelson. Now, as he rides into the sunset, it's time to look back at what happened with BYU athletics.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'