The most polluted cities in America
Tired of Salt Lake's pollution-filled inversion every winter? Try living in Bakersfield, Calif. where, according to a new study released by The American Lung Association, the short-term particle pollution is even worse.
According to the ALA, Salt Lake City (and it's surrounding area) has the 8th worst short-term particle pollution problem in the country.
For a city to have a problem with short-term particle pollution, according to their definition, means that the metro area has bouts of "unhealthy spikes" in air pollution, "even if the year-round averages are low."
Here we've compiled the ALA's ranking of American metro areas with the worst short-term particle pollution, along with their statistics on the demographics most at risk by the pollution.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- Obama signature all that's left in BYU's...
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases original...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- Michael Gerson: The arrogance of... 52
- In our opinion: Police training should... 44
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 41
- In our opinion: Wood burning ban... 37
- Robert Bennett: More political... 36
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Paul Mero: Reasonable solution to... 30