Pro sports owners disciplined by their leagues
George Steinbrenner »1 of 5 «
Associated Press file
In 1974, baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn suspended the New York Yankees owner for two years after he pleaded guilty to making illegal contributions to the re-election campaign of President Richard Nixon. Kuhn reinstated Steinbrenner on March 1, 1976, for good behavior. Then in July 1990, Steinbrenner agreed to an indefinite suspension because of his association with and $40,000 payment to Howard Spira, a known gambler sent to prison for extorting the owner. Steinbrenner was reinstated March 1, 1993.
»1 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- The first sign your marriage is in trouble
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- LDS missionaries leave Burundi
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday