The most popular jobs in America
A large portion of the occupations with the most employment in America are low-wage jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' most recent report of "Occupational employment and wages."
The report, which was released on April 1 of this year, says that the 10 most employed jobs in the country accounted for over 20 percent of total employment in May 2013.
"Most of the largest occupations were relatively low paying," the report's authors pointed out.
Wages have been in the news a lot lately. Both the prospect of raising the minimum wage and the much-debated gender wage gap have dominated much of the economic talk of late, and the BLS study has stirred some to believe the country is in the middle of a wage crisis.
According to a report by USA Today from last August, Walmart currently holds the title as the largest single employer in America, with a total of 2.2 million employees and counting. According to IBISWorld, the average worker at Walmart makes $8.81 per hour.
So what are the largest industries in America — at least as far as employment is concerned — and how much does the average worker in these industries make?
We've given you the countdown of all America's major industries accord to the BLS.
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on NBC's...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- How government policy created ghettos,...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- Job insecurity is the new normal.... 33
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 17
- How government policy created ghettos,... 12
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Millennials still reluctant to move... 4
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2
- Is paying for extended warranties worth... 2
- Most children in the world are happy,... 2