The most popular jobs in America
A large portion of the occupations with the most employment in America are low-wage jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' most recent report of "Occupational employment and wages."
The report, which was released on April 1 of this year, says that the 10 most employed jobs in the country accounted for over 20 percent of total employment in May 2013.
"Most of the largest occupations were relatively low paying," the report's authors pointed out.
Wages have been in the news a lot lately. Both the prospect of raising the minimum wage and the much-debated gender wage gap have dominated much of the economic talk of late, and the BLS study has stirred some to believe the country is in the middle of a wage crisis.
According to a report by USA Today from last August, Walmart currently holds the title as the largest single employer in America, with a total of 2.2 million employees and counting. According to IBISWorld, the average worker at Walmart makes $8.81 per hour.
So what are the largest industries in America — at least as far as employment is concerned — and how much does the average worker in these industries make?
We've given you the countdown of all America's major industries accord to the BLS.
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell...
- Economy is recovering despite wage... 6
- In rare deal, Boehner, Pelosi tout wins... 5
- Does it really matter if you grew up... 4
- Win or lose, discrimination suit is... 2
- The middle class has had a rough couple... 2
- For business, more women in charge... 1
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job... 1
- Randy Shumway: How the Federal Reserve... 1