The most popular jobs in America
A large portion of the occupations with the most employment in America are low-wage jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' most recent report of "Occupational employment and wages."
The report, which was released on April 1 of this year, says that the 10 most employed jobs in the country accounted for over 20 percent of total employment in May 2013.
"Most of the largest occupations were relatively low paying," the report's authors pointed out.
Wages have been in the news a lot lately. Both the prospect of raising the minimum wage and the much-debated gender wage gap have dominated much of the economic talk of late, and the BLS study has stirred some to believe the country is in the middle of a wage crisis.
According to a report by USA Today from last August, Walmart currently holds the title as the largest single employer in America, with a total of 2.2 million employees and counting. According to IBISWorld, the average worker at Walmart makes $8.81 per hour.
So what are the largest industries in America — at least as far as employment is concerned — and how much does the average worker in these industries make?
We've given you the countdown of all America's major industries accord to the BLS.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- College football: BYU receives votes in...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 20
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals... 2