Utah Sports Ruckus: Is Jefferson blackmailing Corbin? Cuban is (mostly) right about football
I was tempted to take a week off from writing about the Utah Jazz’s ineptitude, but I couldn't.
The Jazz started the week off by getting blown out at home by the Detroit Pistons, falling behind 60-40 at halftime. The Pistons would later be the team that the Philadelphia 76ers dominated to snap their 26-game losing streak.
Versus the Pistons, Utah coach Tyrone Corbin gave Richard Jefferson 28 minutes while he gave Rudy Gobert and Jeremy Evans (two players that could be part of future Jazz playoff teams) 10 minutes combined.
Two days later the Jazz played much harder, but blew a 10-point halftime lead to the Memphis Grizzlies, ultimately losing by four.
Versus the Grizz Jefferson played 30 minutes, while Evans played eight and Gobert did not play at all.
Two days after that the Jazz lost a fairly tight game to the New Orleans Pelicans, who lost star Anthony Davis to an injury after four minutes.
Versus the Pelicans Jefferson played an astounding team-high 41 minutes, while Evans played nine and Gobert did not play at all.
Sunday vs. the Oklahoma City Thunder the Jazz were behind 26-9 after the first quarter and never came close to being competitive.
Despite the blowout Corbin gave Jefferson 30 minutes, while Evans and Gobert played just six minutes each.
This means that in four games last week Jefferson, who has zero chance to make an impact on any Jazz playoff runs now or ever, played 129 minutes. Meanwhile, first-round shot-blocker Gobert played eight minutes and Evans, a player seemingly poised to be with the franchise a while, played 31.
I’m thinking somewhere there must be some blackmail-worthy materials Corbin does not want the world to see, and I’m thinking Jefferson knows where they are.
What other explanation for the prior statistics could there possibly be? If Corbin still thinks playing Jefferson will help the team win more, uh, hasn't that been proven wrong/irrelevant at this point?
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free throw line and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- One man electrocuted, 2 others injured in...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 68
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27