How star players fueled BYU's NCAA tournament runs
1950: Quarterfinals »1 of 10 «
BYU's first entrance into the NCAA basketball tournament came in 1950, when it included only eight teams around the country. Although the Cougars lost their first game to Baylor on a last-second shot, BYU played UCLA for third place in the West Region and soundly defeated the John Wooden-led Bruins 83-62. The Cougar lineup was studded with stars like Mel Hutchins, Roland Minson and Joe Nelson. The next year, "Minny" and "Hutch" led the team to a National Invitation Tournament championship in New York City.
»1 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- New mission presidents
- New temple president
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20