How star players fueled BYU's NCAA tournament runs
1950: Quarterfinals »1 of 10 «
BYU's first entrance into the NCAA basketball tournament came in 1950, when it included only eight teams around the country. Although the Cougars lost their first game to Baylor on a last-second shot, BYU played UCLA for third place in the West Region and soundly defeated the John Wooden-led Bruins 83-62. The Cougar lineup was studded with stars like Mel Hutchins, Roland Minson and Joe Nelson. The next year, "Minny" and "Hutch" led the team to a National Invitation Tournament championship in New York City.
»1 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25