How star players fueled BYU's NCAA tournament runs
1950: Quarterfinals »1 of 10 «
BYU's first entrance into the NCAA basketball tournament came in 1950, when it included only eight teams around the country. Although the Cougars lost their first game to Baylor on a last-second shot, BYU played UCLA for third place in the West Region and soundly defeated the John Wooden-led Bruins 83-62. The Cougar lineup was studded with stars like Mel Hutchins, Roland Minson and Joe Nelson. The next year, "Minny" and "Hutch" led the team to a National Invitation Tournament championship in New York City.
»1 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out of...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Marriage isn’t about romance
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 37