Utah Sports Ruckus: Jazz blowing it; the Utes are the best team in the state
Can anyone give any good reason why the college basketball shot clock needs to be 35 seconds? A team can pass the ball around the perimeter seven times and run four botched offensive plays and still have 10 seconds left on the shot clock to run a couple more.
It is boring!
Somebody, somewhere, please get the college shot clock reduced to 24 seconds. In an era where college sports is all about the pleasure of the viewing audience (read: TV dollars), it is beyond time to change to a shorter clock.
Who out there is honestly like, "No, I think college teams need 46 percent more time to get a shot than NBA players. I love seeing all that extra passing and re-setting"? Come on.
Wichita State Shockers
The Wichita State Shockers, who BYU led at the half and trailed by just three with 2:30 remaining earlier this season, have proven that their incredible run to the Final 4 was no fluke last season. The Shockers easily won the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament final on Sunday to finish with a perfect 34-0 regular season (including the conference tournament as part of the regular season).
Sure, the Shockers only played three RPI Top 50 teams all season (BYU, Saint Louis, Tennessee) but to win 34 straight games is phenomenal for any team in any conference.
So, Jimmer, let's see if we got this: the Kings bought you out of your contract, seemingly giving you a get-out-of-hell-free card, freeing you up to sign anywhere, and the best situation you could find is a bunch of did-not-plays with the Bulls?
You couldn't find a single team in the NBA willing to let you play even a little bit right away? This is it? Do you have the worst agent in the world, or are you just not an NBA player?
I get it, Jimmer fans, that there's a lot to learn when you go to a new team but it just seems like a bad sign for the Jimmer that he hasn't even gotten onto the floor for three straight games.
Nate Gagon is the author of the weekly sports column, Utah Sports Ruckus, and a contributor for the Deseret News. He is also a tech/media entrepreneur, shoots roughly 94% from the foul line, and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 45
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 39
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 35
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 30
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 20