Utah Sports Ruckus: Jazz blowing it; the Utes are the best team in the state
Can anyone give any good reason why the college basketball shot clock needs to be 35 seconds? A team can pass the ball around the perimeter seven times and run four botched offensive plays and still have 10 seconds left on the shot clock to run a couple more.
It is boring!
Somebody, somewhere, please get the college shot clock reduced to 24 seconds. In an era where college sports is all about the pleasure of the viewing audience (read: TV dollars), it is beyond time to change to a shorter clock.
Who out there is honestly like, "No, I think college teams need 46 percent more time to get a shot than NBA players. I love seeing all that extra passing and re-setting"? Come on.
Wichita State Shockers
The Wichita State Shockers, who BYU led at the half and trailed by just three with 2:30 remaining earlier this season, have proven that their incredible run to the Final 4 was no fluke last season. The Shockers easily won the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament final on Sunday to finish with a perfect 34-0 regular season (including the conference tournament as part of the regular season).
Sure, the Shockers only played three RPI Top 50 teams all season (BYU, Saint Louis, Tennessee) but to win 34 straight games is phenomenal for any team in any conference.
So, Jimmer, let's see if we got this: the Kings bought you out of your contract, seemingly giving you a get-out-of-hell-free card, freeing you up to sign anywhere, and the best situation you could find is a bunch of did-not-plays with the Bulls?
You couldn't find a single team in the NBA willing to let you play even a little bit right away? This is it? Do you have the worst agent in the world, or are you just not an NBA player?
I get it, Jimmer fans, that there's a lot to learn when you go to a new team but it just seems like a bad sign for the Jimmer that he hasn't even gotten onto the floor for three straight games.
Nate Gagon is the author of the weekly sports column, Utah Sports Ruckus, and a contributor for the Deseret News. He is also a tech/media entrepreneur, shoots roughly 94% from the foul line, and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- 'Turbulent and incredibly productive': New...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 32
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31