The most economically stable states
"State fiscal condition is multifaceted and difficult to measure," reads the abstract to a working paper published this month by Georgia State University's Sarah Arnett.
However, by measuring and ranking the "cash, budget, long-run and service-level solvency" of every state during fiscal year 2012, Arnett believes it is possible to rank each state in the union according to fiscal condition, and in fact does so in the paper. Utah, according to Arnett, has the 11th most stable economy in the country.
"The ongoing challenges to state governments' abilities to meet their financial and service obligations underscore the need for a reliable and strait-forward method to compare states' finances," Arnett argues in the study. "Without such methods of comparison, those inside and outside state government are left to wonder about the emerging trends in state finances and how states compare to each other."
To rank each state, Arnett used data from each state's Comprehensive annual financial report for 2012. From the reports, Arnett focused on 11 key indicators, all of which measures one of four categories:
Cash solvency, which Arnett explains measures a state's ability to "pay its bills."
Budget solvency, which in effect measures the debt to surplus ratio of the state.
Long-run solvency, which measures a state's ability to "pay the cost of doing business."
Service level solvency, which measures a state's ability to pay for "service obligations."
"An important conclusion of this paper is that while rankings inherently have top performers and bottom performers," Arnett explains in the paper's conclusion, "there is a substantial difference in state fiscal conditions." That "substantial difference" according to Arnett, is worth understanding in order to "test the effect of fiscal institutions."So which states came out on top in the study? We've compiled the list of Arnett's top 25 states for economic stability.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Crunch time again for health insurance... 3
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Amazon does not have to pay workers for... 2
- 5 purchases you should never put on a... 1
- Why many millennials lack the money to... 1
- 14 smart money moves to make before the... 1