College bowl: Like the Pro Bowl, we pick the state's two best football teams
The NFL ditched its traditional NFC-vs.-AFC format for this year's Pro Bowl, going instead with two team captains picking the sides just like the pickup games of your youth. We here at the Deseret News were inspired to try something similar with Utah's college teams.
Our player pool was any Utah college football player who participated in the 2013 season. Teams were selected by DeseretNews.com staff writers. Brandon Judd and Lafe Peavler selected for Team Deseret while Trent Christiansen and Carter Williams picked for Team News. Each team was asked to submit a list of its top two players for each position (11 on offense, 11 on defense, three specialists and one head coach). The team captains submitted their first and second choices for each position. Any identical No. 1 selection alternatively was given to the other team.
The results were interesting. Tell us which team would have won this fictional game, and we'll announce the results after Sunday's Pro Bowl.
Who made Team Deseret and Team News? Read our explanations for the picks.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28