College bowl: Like the Pro Bowl, we pick the state's two best football teams
The NFL ditched its traditional NFC-vs.-AFC format for this year's Pro Bowl, going instead with two team captains picking the sides just like the pickup games of your youth. We here at the Deseret News were inspired to try something similar with Utah's college teams.
Our player pool was any Utah college football player who participated in the 2013 season. Teams were selected by DeseretNews.com staff writers. Brandon Judd and Lafe Peavler selected for Team Deseret while Trent Christiansen and Carter Williams picked for Team News. Each team was asked to submit a list of its top two players for each position (11 on offense, 11 on defense, three specialists and one head coach). The team captains submitted their first and second choices for each position. Any identical No. 1 selection alternatively was given to the other team.
The results were interesting. Tell us which team would have won this fictional game, and we'll announce the results after Sunday's Pro Bowl.
Who made Team Deseret and Team News? Read our explanations for the picks.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33