17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- New temple presidents
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 169
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 125
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 75
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43