17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Obama signature all that's left in BYU's...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases original...
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these two...
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 49
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 47
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 47