17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- New mission presidents
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 109
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 67
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59