17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 73