17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- LDS Church opposed to state senator's medical...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Strike up the band for better health
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- LDS Church opposed to state senator's... 89
- Morning links: BYU-Utah bowl matchup... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Doug Robinson: Think Utah is BYU's 'big... 82
- Wright Words: Why I'm not forcing my... 79
- Morning links: Phil Steele discusses... 72
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66