17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Major LDS growth in Africa unaffected by...
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Letter: Reducing mass violence 72
- Morning links: Phil Steele discusses... 72
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second... 60
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 56
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 52