17 Mormon references in movies and sitcoms (Part 1)
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found themselves in the spotlight just a couple years ago when Latter-day Saint and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney ran for president.
Throughout the 2012 campaign, LDS leaders and members were interviewed by many media outlets, making the term "Mormon" a buzzword that has remained in headlines ever since.
But the LDS Church was highlighted for mainstream audiences in TV shows and movies long before "the Mormon moment."
Whether with references to missionaries, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS health code (known as the Word of Wisdom), most of these mentions stick to stereotypes of Mormon culture — some accurate and others not.
While this list is by no means all inclusive, here are 17 Mormon mentions in movies and sitcoms from 1968-2008.
Feel free to share references you are aware of, and we will use them in part two of this list. Please avoid references that are blatantly offensive or crude.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 90
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57