Looking for the American dream? Here are the top 25 cities in America for upward mobility
The Equality of Opportunity Project — a Harvard University research project headed up by Raj Chetty and Nathaniel Hendren of Harvard, and Patrick Kline and Emmanuel Saez of the University of California, Berkeley — ranks American cities according to the availability of the "American dream," which in this case, is indicated by opportunities for personal economic growth.
Complete with charts, summaries and an interactive map, the project concisely illustrates the impact of upward mobility.
The research is divided into two separate rankings: one to show the best cities for upward mobility in the top 100 metropolitan areas and another which ranks all commuting areas.
Each category rates an area’s mobility by a set of three criterion. The first is "absolute upward mobility," which is a measure of the average economic outcome of a child from a below-median income family. The second is what the researchers call "relative upward mobility." It measures the difference in incomes between a child from a low income family compared to a high income family in a given area.
Finally, there is the odds of reaching the top fifth starting from the bottom fifth, quantifying the percentage chance that a child will reach the top five percent.
As a basic summary of the survey's findings, we've compiled a list of the top 25 major metropolitan areas ranked for upward mobility.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Host of 'The Locator,' former Mormon bishop...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 13
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 5
- More home-cooked meals really can save... 2
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason... 1