Looking for the American dream? Here are the top 25 cities in America for upward mobility
The Equality of Opportunity Project — a Harvard University research project headed up by Raj Chetty and Nathaniel Hendren of Harvard, and Patrick Kline and Emmanuel Saez of the University of California, Berkeley — ranks American cities according to the availability of the "American dream," which in this case, is indicated by opportunities for personal economic growth.
Complete with charts, summaries and an interactive map, the project concisely illustrates the impact of upward mobility.
The research is divided into two separate rankings: one to show the best cities for upward mobility in the top 100 metropolitan areas and another which ranks all commuting areas.
Each category rates an area’s mobility by a set of three criterion. The first is "absolute upward mobility," which is a measure of the average economic outcome of a child from a below-median income family. The second is what the researchers call "relative upward mobility." It measures the difference in incomes between a child from a low income family compared to a high income family in a given area.
Finally, there is the odds of reaching the top fifth starting from the bottom fifth, quantifying the percentage chance that a child will reach the top five percent.
As a basic summary of the survey's findings, we've compiled a list of the top 25 major metropolitan areas ranked for upward mobility.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life couldn't be...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 7 reasons why millennials are... 12
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 11
- Low unemployment rates contribute to... 7
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Overdraft and ATM fees higher than ever 4
- How to be a billionaire 4
- Something that may have caused the... 3
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah... 3