'Try a little harder to be a little better:' New Year's encouragement from Mormon leaders
A new year is upon us, along with the opportunity to make some changes.
Whether physical, spiritual or emotional, many have made goals this month in hopes of improving their lives.
As David K. Williams points out in his article on Forbes.com, it's not always easy to stick to the goals you set on Jan. 1 — but the important thing is to keep trying.
"Do your best not to give in or quit. I know it sounds simplistic (it is) just keep going," Williams wrote.
"The important thing is to move forward continually. Some days we make great progress in some areas; other days we seem to slide backward a bit. If we were to chart our progress, it would have ups and downs, but overall it should move upward as we learn from our mistakes."
Elder Marvin J. Ashton, former member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said during general conference in October 1983, "The direction in which we are moving is more important than where we are at the moment. Goal setting should cause us to stretch as we make our way."
As you consider the goals you have made, or plan to make, for this year, here is a list of 15 motivational quotes from LDS general authorities regarding resolutions and change to keep you going.
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- New mission presidents
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 71
- Faith groups urge Supreme Court to... 61
- Are church youth dances outdated? 56
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 38
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 37
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13
- Okla. attorney general wants private... 12
- Thousands of Churches to Join April 26... 10