'Try a little harder to be a little better:' New Year's encouragement from Mormon leaders
A new year is upon us, along with the opportunity to make some changes.
Whether physical, spiritual or emotional, many have made goals this month in hopes of improving their lives.
As David K. Williams points out in his article on Forbes.com, it's not always easy to stick to the goals you set on Jan. 1 — but the important thing is to keep trying.
"Do your best not to give in or quit. I know it sounds simplistic (it is) just keep going," Williams wrote.
"The important thing is to move forward continually. Some days we make great progress in some areas; other days we seem to slide backward a bit. If we were to chart our progress, it would have ups and downs, but overall it should move upward as we learn from our mistakes."
Elder Marvin J. Ashton, former member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said during general conference in October 1983, "The direction in which we are moving is more important than where we are at the moment. Goal setting should cause us to stretch as we make our way."
As you consider the goals you have made, or plan to make, for this year, here is a list of 15 motivational quotes from LDS general authorities regarding resolutions and change to keep you going.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- New mission presidents
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- Does Colorado baker's anti-gay marriage... 33
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 29
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 22
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 15
- LDS mission president's wife dies 15
- Why the world needs rich Christians 13
- Religious response to postponed... 11
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford... 9