'Try a little harder to be a little better:' New Year's encouragement from Mormon leaders
A new year is upon us, along with the opportunity to make some changes.
Whether physical, spiritual or emotional, many have made goals this month in hopes of improving their lives.
As David K. Williams points out in his article on Forbes.com, it's not always easy to stick to the goals you set on Jan. 1 — but the important thing is to keep trying.
"Do your best not to give in or quit. I know it sounds simplistic (it is) just keep going," Williams wrote.
"The important thing is to move forward continually. Some days we make great progress in some areas; other days we seem to slide backward a bit. If we were to chart our progress, it would have ups and downs, but overall it should move upward as we learn from our mistakes."
Elder Marvin J. Ashton, former member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said during general conference in October 1983, "The direction in which we are moving is more important than where we are at the moment. Goal setting should cause us to stretch as we make our way."
As you consider the goals you have made, or plan to make, for this year, here is a list of 15 motivational quotes from LDS general authorities regarding resolutions and change to keep you going.
- New MTC presidents
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a... 10
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 9
- A 4-part definition for evangelical... 6
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 4
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- New Harmony: A word for teens teetering... 3